Newark Gun Buyback

PDA

PATH
August 16, 2005, 05:02 PM
Attention Jersey Residents:

The Newark police department is now buying back "evil" firearms.

50 dollars for rifles and shotguns.

75 dollars for pistols and revovers.

125 dollars for your evil assault rifles and "automatic" pistols.

Round up your rusty old crap and get some money. There is a no questions asked policy.

Can't get five dollars for that rusted to pieces firearm? Well the Newark PD is willing to pay good money for it. Enjoy! :D :neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "Newark Gun Buyback" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Standing Wolf
August 16, 2005, 09:08 PM
You couldn't pay me to go to Newark.

Blue Jays
August 16, 2005, 09:22 PM
Hi All-

Might be worth a roadtrip if I can gather enough junk. Will they give that kind of money for old, clapped-out BB guns and non-functioning worthless revolvers in obscure calibers? These so-called community leaders must be getting wise to firearms enthusiasts dumping scrap on them to get a few bucks? If not, it might make financial sense for me!

~ Blue Jays ~

motoman
August 16, 2005, 09:24 PM
Every time I hear about a gun "buyback" I can't help but think of the Seinfeld episode were Jerry and Newman load up the aluminum cans and drive to Michigan to get the $.10 refund. If you could load up a truck full of junk guns and hit Newark you could make a small fortune. :D

VARifleman
August 16, 2005, 09:24 PM
I'd say go there with an FFL (as there's probably a ban on private sales in NJ) and buy anything good that might come along...

Justin
August 16, 2005, 10:54 PM
Does Newark still look like a demilitarized zone? You know, bulletholes and razor wire?

Chrontius
August 17, 2005, 01:14 AM
Even better --

1. set up a booth across the street.
2. Buy the Dan Wessons and Sigs for $50 more than the police will.
3. ... ?
4. Profit! :evil:

Riphalman
August 17, 2005, 02:50 AM
They can't "BUY BACK" what was never theirs in the first place.

WT
August 17, 2005, 08:38 AM
I recall that the Newark PD repeatedly bought back a pristine World War I Luger. Bought it over and over again.

Seems that the pistol made its way to the police property room, then disappeared from there and back onto the streets. Not once, but several times over the course of several years.

Eventually BATFE stepped in and stopped the practice. A couple of cops took early retirement.

larry starling
August 17, 2005, 09:03 AM
The only guns you will proabaly find there are Hi-points and jennings..... :what:

Rickstir
August 17, 2005, 09:23 AM
That was Kramer and Newman, and you're right, a classic.

motoman
August 17, 2005, 09:29 AM
Ya you are right, Kraemer not Jerry. One of my favorite episodes.

GunGoBoom
August 17, 2005, 01:14 PM
These so-called community leaders must be getting wise to firearms enthusiasts dumping scrap on them to get a few bucks?

You give them too much credit for brainpower. Wonder if you could make a huge batch of homemade guns (legally, with appropriate licensing) for under $5 a piece, and dump them all for a tidy profit - I'd wet myself with glee if someone could actually pull this off. And, is the "buyback" actually open to non-residents?

Yes, the Newman/Kramer Michigan bottle roadtrip scheme episode is a hilarious classic - and good analogy. :D

geekWithA.45
August 17, 2005, 03:19 PM
Legally, BB guns are defined as firearms in NJ.

Be interesting to get them on tape either buying them, because of their implie evil, or refusing to buy them. Either way, they'll look like the damned fools they are. :)

Dead
August 17, 2005, 04:30 PM
I should try to turn in some CO2 airpistols, now where could I get them for 20bucks a pop?? Hmm nice 55 profit on each not bad!

scout26
August 17, 2005, 04:44 PM
Oh Man !!!! I've got two pieces of cr@p in the back of safe that I've been holding onto for one of these "buyback" programs. I'd get $175 if I was in Jersey, that's alot of reloading supplies.

Oh well, maybe time to send an e-mail to the Chicago do-gooders touting the "success" of this one and see if they'll have one.

I'll be first in line, sell mine and then go setup a table to "prescreen" the rest. :D

secamp32
August 17, 2005, 08:09 PM
some "Hand Guns" out of pvc pipe and duct tape. Do they actually have to fire? :evil:

Blue Jays
August 17, 2005, 09:53 PM
Hi All-

Seriously speaking, if one were to visit one of these events with clapped-out and rusted pieces of junk, would they pay the money without laughing or even getting angry? I've inherited sidearms from family that were previously gifts from a friend of a friend that aren't worth $75.00 for a whole box of 'em...much less a single firearm.

Would it be morally wrong to fellow taxpayers to take my worthless junk to one of these events and walk away with a couple hundred bucks?

~ Blue Jays ~

Scottmkiv
August 17, 2005, 09:57 PM
Not only do I not think it would be wrong, I think it is just about your duty to cheat idiots like this out of their money.

The more expensive gun control is, and the less results it produces, the harder it will be to make a case for it.

ETA: Don't a lot of pistols have a dealer cost below $75? What if a jennings dealer showed up with 1000 brand new jennings and made ten bucks each?

Zundfolge
August 17, 2005, 09:59 PM
All of a sudden this (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=149145) makes sense! :neener:

Shaun
August 18, 2005, 11:34 AM
You can use these buys backs as a way to finance some expensive toys -- while living in Sacramento - they had a buyback the same weekend as a gun show so I went to the show and bought up a bunch of Junk inoperative guns and then took them to the buy back well I sold each of these pieces of scrap metal to them for 100 each -- ended up buying a sig 220 and the original investment was only 60 bucks

PATH
August 18, 2005, 03:47 PM
I think Jersey residents would benefit from this "buyback". I don't know if out of staters could cash in. The Newark PD asks that the guns be taped up thoroughly so how would they know the condition of the guns?

As there is a "no questions aked" policy I guess you could drive in with clunkers. I would not do it with any pistols though as it still is Jersey. ;) :D

Blue Jays
August 18, 2005, 06:23 PM
Hi Path-

Perhaps one could visit with a box o' guns and simply say:
"These scary machineguns once belonged to my deceased grandfather. I think they might be semi-automatic revolvers. Is that a 12-gauge bullet in the clip? Oh, I better call my therapist due to my extreme anxiety around these dangerous weapons that might go off at any moment...can I have my $375.00 now?"~ Blue Jays ~

Taurus 66
August 18, 2005, 06:56 PM
Ahhh Jersey ..... :D The "**********" of the east.

The Newark police department is now buying back "evil" firearms.

How will the PD know the evil from the good guns? Will there be priests standing by to make these determinations?

geekWithA.45
August 18, 2005, 07:00 PM
Will there be priests standing by to make these determinations?

{jest}
Priests can be fooled. I, for example, am fairly stealthy in my evil, and priests don't pick up on that when out on the street.

Whenever I step into a church, however, the church bursts into flames, and that usually gives me away.

Therefore, I think you need to carry each gun into a church, one at a time, and if the church bursts into flames, that's a gun you buy back. All other guns should be returned to their owners, along with a certification of non evil, so they don't have to repeat the excercise @ the next buyback..
{/jest}

thebigc
August 18, 2005, 07:03 PM
i wish they would have one somewhere around here soon so i could dispose of a broken old top break revolver and then put the 75 twoards an ar lower.

Taurus 66
August 18, 2005, 09:18 PM
geek, if the priest uses his aspergillum, the ones smoking will be the evil guns in the eyes of the Newark PD.

entropy
August 19, 2005, 11:13 AM
:rolleyes: Joisey .gov at it's best. Wish they'd do that here, I could finally afford some decent guns I want to buy!

The only governmental entities that can 'buy back' are the DCM and the City of Kennesaw, GA. Unless there are some cities that have a program similar to Kennesaw's. MN used to sell the guns confiscated by game wardens every spring. Rumor has it they had shill bidders to make the hunters trying to buy back their own guns pay big bucks. ;)

PATH
August 19, 2005, 03:59 PM
Blue Jays,

I believe you have got it down pat. Feign complete ignorance and garner cash to buy new evil guns! :evil: :D :neener:

Nicky Santoro
August 19, 2005, 05:43 PM
"The Newark police department is now buying back "evil" firearms."

Ah! Beautiful Newark, the heroin capitol of the USA. Yeah, the "buy back" will solve all the problems there.

scout26
August 19, 2005, 05:59 PM
News reporting we'll never see:

Anchor Person: "WTHR-TV goes live to the scene of the gun "buyback" in Newark:"

Reporterette: "Sir, why did you turn those guns ??"
Guy #1: "Those were some real pieces of junk, I got a nice chunk of change to go buy an SKS at Al's Gun Barn."

Reporterette: "Sir what did you turn in ???"
Guy#2: "It was a Bryco, I got $75 for a pistol I could not have given away !!!"

Reporterette: "Sir, I noticed you turned in several guns ??"
Guy#3: "If you want to call those rusty things "guns", yep. Now I got enough money to go buy a new revolver and a nice Shotgun. Thanks Newark !!!"

Reporterette: "Sir, please tell me that your not going to use the proceeds from the guns you turned in to buy more guns ??
Guy#4: "Nope, not gonna buy any guns........Gonna buy a bunch of ammo!!!''

(Cameraman fails in attempt to catch reporterette as she passes out and hits the pavement.)

:neener:

ruger270man
August 19, 2005, 08:40 PM
why doesnt my city have these things?

not only would I stock up on those Jennings 3-gun sets off of gunbroker to make a few bucks, but I'd be buying guns off everyone before they got to the buyback :D

Sharpdogs
August 20, 2005, 08:11 AM
Jersey City had one last year. They were paying $150 per gun (pistol, rifle, shotgun) and $25 for BB guns. A friend of mine made a few hundred dollars trading in some broken BB guns. There were no questions asked. The firearms did not even have to be functioning. The police officers handling the process were extremely polite and said that it was a political move for mayor's re-election. The mayor wanted to claim that he took "X" number of guns off the street to make the city safer. Overall there were a few gun owners who walked away with several hundered dollars to purchase brand new shiny firearms, making the streets much safer.

Nathaniel Firethorn
August 20, 2005, 10:43 AM
Wunnerful. My tax dollars at work. :rolleyes:

In Newark's defense, it's at least a few down from Camden in the "worst American cities" list.

- pd

Sharpdogs
August 21, 2005, 09:26 AM
In Jersey City's buyback the money came from corporate sponsors, not tax dollars. I believe they had over 10K in corporate donations.

lbmii
August 21, 2005, 02:12 PM
OK how about really cheap made in India or China, black powder pistols and rifles? What if you showed up with like a U-Haul or better yet an international shipping container filled with them still in their unopened boxes? :cool:

"Here you go! Now where shall I back up the rig? There are seven more truckloads on the way. :eek:

Oh you don't want to buy them BACK do you? Well I bet some folks down there in the Section 8 part of Newark might. :evil:

OK yeah I thought you all would come around. Now let's see here. Please make the check out in the amount of Four Hundred Thirty Eight Thousand Nine Hundred and Seventy Five and 00/100 Dollars to......... :D

GunGoBoom
August 21, 2005, 02:56 PM
All of a sudden this makes sense!

Bwwwaaaahahahaha! :) Dang I wish I could have gotten in on the Jersey City one, at $150 each! :what: Seriously, are they open to non-residents of the state? Maybe I'll plan a vacation to lobsterfest in Maine around one. Scout26, yeah, that'd be hilarious. Watching bliss ninnies in action sure makes life entertaining...

If you enjoyed reading about "Newark Gun Buyback" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!