An interesting "AD".

PDA

Thundercleese
March 24, 2003, 08:04 PM
Was out shooting last summer with my dad and one of his friends. His friend had an old hand-loaded percussion-cap revolver (I ashamedly admit, I don't know what it was). After loading the cylinder, he would smear a glob of Crisco on the front of each round. I asked him why and he said it was to prevent the blast from one shot touching off the others in the other chambers. Fair enough.

Anyway, as the day wore on, I guess he got a little careless and forgot to Crisco that sucker up. He stepped up to the line, pulled the trigger and...BANG.BANG. Touched off the main round and then one of the others. Thankfully the "AD" chamber was completely clear of the frame so it just zinged out along the side. But - whee! - a real check-your-pants moment.

I also learned that round watermelons make a -fantastic- splat when tagged with a .308 at 30 yards :)

If you enjoyed reading about "An interesting "AD"." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Snowdog
March 25, 2003, 10:04 AM
Cap and ball are tremendously fun. I used to use crisco as well on my 1858 Remington, but then learned that "chainfire" (known as "cross-over fire" by some) is extremely unlikely if I used .454 ball instead of .451 as I was using at the time.

A friend learned this, he told me, after experiencing a chainfire, with the off charge hole sending a ball down the side of his 1851, striking the take-down pin, which sent the errant ball into the vinyl siding of his house.

If using .454 ball, a nice lead ring will appear after pressing the ball into the cylinder, showing that there is a fairly decent seal there. 300+ Criscoless shots, no problems thus far.

bogie
March 25, 2003, 11:06 AM
Yeah, but use crisco anyway. Trust me. ONE of those suckers is way too many, and if more than one chamber goes, you get real paranoid real fast.

I use "bore butter."

RobW
March 25, 2003, 11:40 AM
I heard that using wads atop the powder charge prevents chain-fires and are a lot of less mess. Is that right? Any experiences?

Greg L
March 25, 2003, 12:02 PM
A friend of mine uses peanut butter (creamy not chunky ;) ). It seems to work well.

Greg

larry_minn
March 25, 2003, 01:04 PM
I regret selling my 1870 something cap and ball replica. I used the .454 or was it .457 for Ruger Old army? Anyway always some grease. Also made is easier to clean IMO. Never had a chain fire or would want one.
Can you imagin if three went off at once???? I used it as a true assult pistol. With spare loaded cylinder you could fire 12 rds before reloadeing. Of course I NEVER handled a capped cylinder as risk is too high. AM I only one who wonders if you hit cap with small hammer while holding clyinder in hand why that wouldn't work? VERY STUPID idea to try of course.

mec
March 25, 2003, 02:00 PM
this one actually does shave a ring off the .36 balls. It is the first C&B I've owned that actually does this. Much messy fun

If you enjoyed reading about "An interesting "AD"." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!