James Bond at the range...Not!

PDA

HI express
August 18, 2005, 12:39 PM
Last week I was at the indoor range. It is my 9/80 Friday so I more or less had the range to myself when a young man in a dark trench coat came in with a briefcase in hand.

Radar antenna came up. I have a tendency in a previous experience at the range to have a spare gun in a OWB. I go to the range enough times that the owner lets me do that. So I check it to make sure that it comes out easily enough...kept an eye on this turkey. This makes it hard to get really good groups (not that I do that normally), but eventually I work on concentrating on shooting when I see movement not typical to someone shooting to my left. This guy was three bays down.

The baffles are supposed to be bullet resistant so I slide over to the baffle in my bay to keep some protection between this guy and I and I peer at what is this movement. This wannabee is turned to the paper target so that he has his left side is closest to the target (Full man size and less than 21 feet away). He jumps out into a modified isoceles stance, tries to whip out his sidearm (Looked like a Walther PPK in chrome) from under his trench coat and has a series of false starts. (i.e. tried to draw with his trench coat buttoned up, snagged his weapon in his holster, didn't snick his safety off...etc.) By this time, while trying not to laugh out loud, I had my gear packed back in my range bag and was headed out to the range master. Reported this James Bond wannabee and stood by the viewing glass for moral support to the range master as he went to the firing line to kick the jerk out of the range.

Before the range master got to this wannabee spy, this guy got off a few rounds..no holes on this fullman sized target...at about 20 feet?

So how was your day?

If you enjoyed reading about "James Bond at the range...Not!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Preacherman
August 18, 2005, 12:49 PM
:D :D :D

Shorts
August 18, 2005, 02:04 PM
Sounds like he needs more practice in front of his bathroom mirror before taking his show on the road again :o

Dr.Rob
August 18, 2005, 02:21 PM
ALWAYS ask the rangemaster before doing any 'holster work.'

Many ranges frown on that.

DigMe
August 18, 2005, 02:49 PM
Sheesh...

James Bond or James "out on" Bond?

brad cook

torpid
August 18, 2005, 02:57 PM
Why do you assume he was trying to hit the target?
Maybe it was a 100% successful performance art piece.
;)

mustanger98
August 18, 2005, 04:26 PM
:scrutiny: :uhoh: Ya'll know what they say about talented amatuers. :eek:

Derby FALs
August 18, 2005, 04:32 PM
So you get him kicked out without asking if he needs some pointers first? Or caution him that the RM frowns on holster practice? People have to start somewhere and I would be willing to bet that this is his first gun. Maybe first time to a range.

DelayedReaction
August 18, 2005, 04:49 PM
So you get him kicked out without asking if he needs some pointers first? Or caution him that the RM frowns on holster practice? People have to start somewhere and I would be willing to bet that this is his first gun. Maybe first time to a range.

Yes, people do have to start somewhere. I started at an NRA safety course, then at the range counter reading the rules. If he wants the responsibility of using a firearm, then he needs to act responsible. Running around in a trench coat practicing Matrix moves is not the best way to do that.

Henry Bowman
August 18, 2005, 05:11 PM
Running around in a trench coat practicing Matrix moves is not the best way to do that. Yes, and getting him tossed out is likely to alienate him from our gun culture without separating him from his gun, ammo, and the desire to shoot something.

keyhole
August 18, 2005, 05:31 PM
Carefull explaination, and a gentle hand would work first. If he didn't want to go that way, then the way of the boot!

Just goes to show ya, waaaaayyyy too much movies and tv!

GhostRider66
August 18, 2005, 06:20 PM
Hey did you ever stop to think he really might be NSA, etc? I've worked with a few of those yahoos way back when. That should really scare the heck out of you.... :eek:

hksw
August 18, 2005, 07:54 PM
Saw a similar thing happen many years ago in an indoor range.

Range was about half full and I was taking a little break to load mags a couple of steps behind my stall. In walks a middle aged man, bald, about 5'4"-5'6", long tan trench coat, no hearing protection, no targets. Just walks directly right up to an open stall, pulls out an SW of what appeared to be .45 caliber and fires down range (as noted, no target). Gets off one round, gun misfeeds (saw the next cartridge hang up in the feed ramp). Takes him a few seconds to figure out something is wrong, fixes the jam, fires one round, another jam (same type). this goes on for about four or five rounds then the guy leaves.

jefnvk
August 18, 2005, 07:59 PM
No hearing protection with a .45? I made it all of two rounds, before realizing it was one of the worst decisions of my life.

And that was outside :what:

Standing Wolf
August 18, 2005, 09:19 PM
If you don't know what you're doing with firearms, you should ask, not make it up as you go along on a public range.

I'm personally very tired of people who think guns are toys.

Derby FALs
August 18, 2005, 09:23 PM
If you don't know what you're doing with firearms, you should ask, not make it up as you go along on a public range.

Were you born with this knowledge?

MechAg94
August 18, 2005, 09:50 PM
I would have to say that someone who wants to learn to shoot, but knows no one who does may be afraid to ask. It would probably be better to try to help first.

DelayedReaction
August 18, 2005, 10:00 PM
I'm all for helping people with developing an understanding of firearms. I definitely wouldn't be as into the sport now if my friends hadn't gotten me into it, and I've found many good people as a result of shooting. Heck, it's even got me to be politically active and involve myself in things I've never experienced before.

But I still read the range rules. I'm not suggest we ostracize someone because they don't know better, but that doesn't mean we should excuse them. I don't really care if the guy comes in wearing a clown suit; as long as he follows the range rules and acts safely he can do whatever he wants.

horge
August 18, 2005, 10:06 PM
Offering help to a beginner is great, but it really depends on the would-be recipient. No hard-and-fast about it really. Some people appreciate help and some don't want it.

Maybe, just maybe this 'James Bond' stuck HI Express as someone who wouldn't take advice kindly, and with the safety issue involved ---contacting the RO was the best course of action.

Shorts
August 19, 2005, 01:00 AM
The easy way to tell is they can handle and help, ask them about their gun, duh.

You: Hey, that's a nice pistol, what is it?

Him: blahblah 45/9/whatever

You: Oh cool. I have a blahblah 45/9/whatever. I got it __ months/days ago. You?

Him: Oh...

etc etc etc

Work your way into conversation. Or try to. Right away you can tell if their friendly or jerk. From there you can work in various aspects.

walking arsenal
August 19, 2005, 01:50 AM
People and especially ranges that dont let you practice holster work or defensive pistol shooting iritate me to no end. For whatever reason they expect you to come and pay their riduculously high range fees and then ask you to shoot nice and slow so all your holes are in a nice little group. fine, great, and when the hammer falls i'll just politley ask the BG to hold still while i don my hearing protection and shoot him full of nicley grouped holes. ridiculous. some folks want to know how drawing and firing works with their ward robe and thats everyone from cops to buissness men to college students. leave them alone, if they bug you so much take off or ask them if they'd like some pointers. Until you actually talk to them you know precisley dill about them. Don't assume, gather some info and then make an informed decision.

silverlance
August 19, 2005, 02:07 AM
when I go to the indoor pistol only, fmj only, nra approved target only, etc etc etc rules rules rules range,

I follow every single damn rule religiously, because there are precious enough few ranges here in cali and these rules not only preserve the range (even though a few are unfortunate, such as "no wolf ammo because it sucks and we can't reload it and sell it back to you") but also keep some of the guys who think they don't need to listen to anyone in line.

But if someone is not following rules, I first try to correct them in a friendly way (as prev poster suggested). I remember once discovering that the korean guy in his 20s with his wife and kid waiting outside (!!!) was walking around loading his new walther 9 and cheerfully peeking at everyone's guns WITH HIS FINGER ON THE TRIGGER TO BOOT. I used the "rules here" authority to conspiratorily let him know that such activity was considered dangerous and would result in getting kicked out. He promptly corrected his stupid behavior.

There are a lot of people who pass the HSC but never get the rules. They never understand that even if they were in army, etc, guns are items that like everything else can be accidentally misued, BUT WITH SEVERE CONSEQUENCES.

then again, I also drive 1 hour once or twice a month to go to my own private outdoor range where as a member I get to use private set-aside ranges where I and my guests are the only folks around.
no range master, no rules, just me and a small berm at 25 yards.

there I can whip out my mall ninja suit, my nerd-version of apocalyptic gear (gas mask, milspec tan shirt one size too small, combat boots, BDU, LBV, kydex holster, vietnam era bayonet on leg, body armor, etc etc), or even my pajamas (one really does need to practice in the clothes one might have to fight in)....

and I do all sorts of silly things such as rolling out of "bed" and drawing and shooting, pretending that I'm rambo and walk down range shooting down one man sized target after another... etc.

sometimes I even pull out my benelli and deliberately and carefully blow the legs off of every target frame I have. I figure the range could use the money I gave them for deposit.

but see, that's a private range, and nobody needs to know what I do there, and nobody minds.

I would NEVER do such things at a range where other people need to have a safe time shooting, too.

chopinbloc
August 19, 2005, 04:44 AM
good job! thanks for alienating a new shooter. so far as i can tell, he wasn't doing anything particularly unsafe, just breaking range rules at the pansy range you frequent. oh, and he made the mistake of being unfashionable in your uplifted eyes.

maybe this is difficult for you les baer and mercedes benz types to understand, but you do not need to demonstrate your superiority to everyone.

:fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire:

cracked butt
August 19, 2005, 05:49 AM
People and especially ranges that dont let you practice holster work or defensive pistol shooting iritate me to no end. For whatever reason they expect you to come and pay their ridiculously high range fees and then ask you to shoot nice and slow so all your holes are in a nice little group.

I agree.
I belong to a club that is over an hour away from where I live where any rifle or pistol is allowed including class III stuff. There is no rangemaster and people police themselves. I recently took a serious look at a really nice club closer to home where the club dues were substantially higher. I took a ride to the place and read their safety signs:

No rapid fire (whatever the hell that means)
No quickdraw/holster practice

I turned around, left, and never looked back.

The author of this thread should have approached the shooter and offered help and/or advice instead of being a prick. I've met at least one shaggy looking trenchcoat wearing 'dude' that not only owns and shoots class III weapons, but is a hell of a lot more of a hardcore RKBA supporter than a lot of the 'country club' type shooters I run in to. The 'wannabe' the author ran in to may have been a budding IDPA shooter that the author snipped off before he could grow.

imas
August 19, 2005, 05:56 AM
You see a guy wearing a trench coat at the range so you take cover and put your hand on your firearm...and YOU called HIM a James Bond wannabe? :confused:

I agree with some of the others. Be friendly and help out a new shooter.

I go to the range all the time. One of the few times I've taken my wife some guy came over and started hassling us because he didn't like the way she looked. Now when I tell her about the nice guys I meet at the range she just rolls her eyes. Good work guy.

entropy
August 19, 2005, 09:37 AM
I would have been amused by his antics, to be sure, but I think I would have handled it differently. Hi Express had a BUG on the hip, plus the one he had in hand, I probably would have struck up a conversation and mentioned to 'Bond' that what he was doing could get him kicked off the range, and where he could practice his [Baba Louie voice]'Quicks Draw' [/Baba Louie voice] routine, if I knew one. (I do such things at my -in laws' farm :) ) Just for giggles, I might haveasked if he had a carry permit, as he was drawing from concealment. ;)

Odd as the fellow seemed, perhaps HiExpress could have found a new shooting buddy, helped a newbie out, and put out the positive image all in one fell swoop. My .02.

If you enjoyed reading about "James Bond at the range...Not!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!