Hoppes solvent in plastic?

PDA

KriegHund
August 18, 2005, 07:49 PM
Im wondering if Hoppes powder solvent can dissolve a plastic bottle?

Ill soon be needing to replace the aerosol solvent i got with my kit and have a plastic bottle the perfect size, i dont want to use the glass bottles in it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hoppes solvent in plastic?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
spin180
August 18, 2005, 08:23 PM
It should be fine in a plastic bottle. I've kept Hoppes No.9 in the same plastic bottle for the last few years and haven't had any problems.

;)

KriegHund
August 18, 2005, 08:31 PM
Ill try it out and put the bottle on a metal dish or something for a day or two.

IIRC some guy put some sort of solvent in a big tub with a gun in his basement and it ate through. But it may have been something stronger than hoppes.

DrAmazon
August 18, 2005, 08:36 PM
I'm not a polymer expert, but it would depend on the type of plastic. The problem is that if it is slowly dissolving in the Hoppes, you're then using solvent + dissolved plastic, not what I want in the bores of my target guns.

Hoppes probably packages it in glass for a reason...

mattw
August 18, 2005, 09:02 PM
in my kit i've got a glass bottle of hoppe's inside of a plastic food storage thing without a lid on it. it all closes up in a plastic ammo-can shaped box pretty well with no worries of breaking the glass

Guy B. Meredith
August 18, 2005, 09:03 PM
The last bottle of Hoppe's I purchased came in a plastic bottle.

Cesiumsponge
August 18, 2005, 09:11 PM
I purchase Hoppes in those big glass brown bottles. I don't have much confidence in chugging it along in my range bag so I filled a 20oz soda pop bottle which is made of polyethylene terpthalate (PET) for what it's worth. Other than Hoppes being strong enough to erase the Sharpie "Hoppes No.9" I've plastered all over the bottle so no one would drink it, the bottle shows no signs of cloudiness, degredation, or any type of damage.

They also have bottles of Hoppes that come in smaller brown plastic bottles, but I don't know what type of plastic they use. They're both the exact same price so I always buy the big glass jugs.

mattw
August 18, 2005, 09:20 PM
haha! someone would take a sip and think you mixed up some killer drink to get hammered at the range! :D

Cesiumsponge
August 18, 2005, 09:40 PM
At the least, it would certaintly clean their colon. :D

mattw
August 18, 2005, 11:09 PM
better than running a bore snake through it :eek:

Farnham
August 18, 2005, 11:19 PM
Hoppe's absolutely CANNOT taste worse than CLP... :barf: :barf: :barf:

I buy it in the little plastic bottle, too.

Shaun
August 18, 2005, 11:33 PM
depends on which Hoppes you are using Elite is sold in a plastic bottle

Onmilo
August 19, 2005, 12:00 AM
Brownells and Midway sell solvent resistant plastic/nylon/polymar storage bottles that will not degrade.
If the stuff I stored in these bottles does degrade the bottle, it will never see the bores of my firearms.,,,,,

Taurus 66
August 19, 2005, 01:00 AM
better than running a bore snake through it

matt, the bore snake doesn't work very well in my shotties. I'm beginning to wonder if it was maybe meant for the colon.

pokey074
August 19, 2005, 06:43 AM
The last bottle of Hoppe's I bought was plastic.

I pour it into a cheap plastic spray bottle so I'm not dipping my bore brushes into it and getting crud in the bottle. So far it's been fine. I doubt it will dissolve plastic.

entropy
August 19, 2005, 09:19 AM
Hoppe's absolutely CANNOT taste worse than CLP...

I've worn it on occasion, courtesy of some overzealous lubing of M16's and M60's, but I don't want to know about tasting it.... :uhoh:

matt, the bore snake doesn't work very well in my shotties. I'm beginning to wonder if it was maybe meant for the colon.

Depends on what gauge you are. ;)

Hoppe's is fine in plastic bottles,AFAIK,but Gun Scrubber will dissolve the plastic containers that worms and leeches come in. (You ask:Why would I know that? I use 'em for small parts holders while working on guns at the shop.)

HankB
August 19, 2005, 09:54 AM
There are several types of plastic used in chemical bottles - chemical resistance varies WIDELY. Teflon bottles are among the best. See http://www.nalgenelabware.com/techdata/chemical/index.asp

for more information on chemical resistance.

RavenVT100
August 19, 2005, 10:31 AM
I've already learned what it dissolves and doesn't dissolve.

It will dissolve anything made out of polystyrene. Most people think that only styrofoam is made of that, but in actuality a bunch of different plastic containers and cups are made out of that. I had a container that happened to be made of that which hoppes ate right through. I came back to retrieve my soaking parts only to see that it had dissolved half of the container.

HDPE (high density polyethylene) won't be dissolved. In fact, Hoppes comes in an HDPE container (if you buy the bigger container). So do a variety of organic solvents. Tupperware would obviously not be affected by hoppes.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hoppes solvent in plastic?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!