I've got a dilemma

PDA

TheLastBoyScout
March 24, 2003, 09:38 PM
Some of my friends in class who usually seem to have their heads screwed on more or less the right way (both Scouts, 1 Eagle) were raving about Bowling for Columbine <shudder> I told them the director was full of <edited: fecal product> but could not rip into the movie with any effect, having not seen it.
I want to try to convert these guys, and engage and defeat them in an arguement, but that will be hard to do without seeing the movie. At the same time, I don't want to give Michael Moore a cent. What do I do?

If you enjoyed reading about "I've got a dilemma" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Greg L
March 24, 2003, 09:45 PM
http://www.hardylaw.net/Truth_About_Bowling.html

Give them the link and save your money.

Greg

Mastrogiacomo
March 24, 2003, 10:33 PM
Don't waste your money. Your arguements will probably have no effect on them anyhow.:scrutiny:

Standing Wolf
March 24, 2003, 10:41 PM
I don't try to reason with walls. I never try to persuade the lawn. I don't argue with the weather. I gave up trying to change leftists' so-called "minds" years ago.

blades67
March 24, 2003, 11:30 PM
What he said.

Braz
March 25, 2003, 12:16 AM
Heheh,

Pesky liberal logic. At least you admit ya can't critique the movie without seeing the movie. Don't fall prey to other's admission of stealing it. That only makes them thieves, not morally correct in an arguement. Any point MM makes in his movie, you should be able to refute without seeing it, just not the movie itself.

cratz2
March 25, 2003, 12:21 AM
Kazaa, baby!

In my opinion, the movie really is worth a look. Very frustrating... he has good general points but fails miserably with how he attacks those ideas. And the fact that no matter how you cut it, it's still liberal sensationalism drivel.

10-Ring
March 25, 2003, 12:45 AM
You must see something in these guys to call them friends, so I can see why you'd want to see this movie just to be able to argue your points from 1st hand experience. BUT, don't pay to watch it...Kazaa is your answer (or other movie site).
Good luck!

BerettaNut92
March 25, 2003, 12:52 AM
I didn't bother seeing it, but stealing is stealing even if it's MM. If you must, do your homework, then see the flick and fire at will.

shermacman
March 25, 2003, 08:55 AM
Don't even bother trying to reason with them. They are Liberals and therefore they only 'feel' they don't think. Try inviting them to the range for few gun safety lessons and a hundred rounds. I have been steadily converting my Liberal bed-wetting afraid of gun friends with this technique. It works wonders!

Kharn
March 25, 2003, 08:59 AM
Wait for your local public library to get it in, then borrow it. You wont have to pay a cent (but might have to wait a few months).

Kharn

geekWithA.45
March 25, 2003, 05:53 PM
Offer to sit down with them, and debate the points in realtime, on their dime.

Honor is upheld, in many dimensions.

:evil:

hutch24
March 25, 2003, 05:58 PM
I think geekWithA.45 is on to something here. Get them to rent it and you can tear it apart as you go along. :evil:

TheLastBoyScout
March 25, 2003, 08:59 PM
good idea, GeekWithA45.
When I wrote 'other' stealing was not what I had in mind. I meant any out of the box solutions, other than what was up there, such as maybe the library idea, or a transcript on the internet or anything I hadn't thought of.

samualt
March 26, 2003, 01:51 AM
Don't pay money to see this. Just Kazaa it and have a gander.

I used to like Michael Moore even though he was extreme left. Now I just pity him. This film just plays on emotions (sensationalism) and gets most of the facts wrong. It is Complete trash.

It's a real shame. I would love to see a real documentry on violence in America. But that involves facts and truth, which Moore can't seem to muster.

280PLUS
March 26, 2003, 08:29 AM
let's see,,,i got a good friend, very intelligent, who called me up one night and made me come over to his house right then and there to see his irrefutable documentation of aliens being on the planet. i mean, he was adamant...

he then showed me a book containing a fictional, chronological report "documenting" the events.

it was all i could do not to laugh.

there are people who that think professional wrestling is real.

:rolleyes:

as for your friends, try to explain to them that this would be yet another example of the media using a horrifying event to play to the audience with absolutely nothing more than financial gain in mind.

if they argue with you, it's time to look for different friends.

Kahr carrier
March 26, 2003, 08:38 AM
Michael Moore.:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

If you enjoyed reading about "I've got a dilemma" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!