Friends with bad habits

PDA

Yohan
March 24, 2003, 09:59 PM
<rant mode: on>

My drummer owns a lever action type air rifle. The other day during practice, our mixer was acting up, so I was asking him if he had a air sprayer to get rid of the dirt. One thing led to another, and before we knew it, he had the air rifle in hand in the garage. He checked the rifle again and again- and the chamber was empty. We tried to clear some dirt by shooting it with the air rifle, without much success. So, since we were all bored anyway, we decided to take a small break.

But suddenly, my drummer turned the rifle on my bass guitarist (keep in mind we had checked the bb gun over and over again so it was empty), and naturally, I let out a "Ahh! Don't do that" yell. To which my drummer replied with a dumb founded look.

Was I over-reacting? I have a tendency to freak out if anyone points that air-rifle at me. When I put the air rifle down, I do it with the muzzle facing the wall. Even if the gun is just lying there with no one near it, I find it unnerving to stare down the barrel.

Just today, I was hanging out with my bass guitarist when he got a hold of my air rifle when I went out of the room. I promptly returned and the first thing I saw when I entered the room was him pointing the rifle at me with a grin. I walked back out and told him to put the rifle away. I'm sure you all have done some pretty stupid and risky things as teenagers. But am I getting too paranoid? Granted, it's just a stupid air rifle, but I sure wouldn't like someone shooting it at me. Am I over-reacting? I trust my band mates and all, but I'm not sure if I want to hang out with people who fail to follow basic safety rules. Was I an idiot for trying to use an air rifle as a air sprayer? Let me get your input. And while the rant mode is on, Glocks = ugly. Thanks

<rant mode =off>

If you enjoyed reading about "Friends with bad habits" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jesse H
March 24, 2003, 10:03 PM
I woulda had the same reaction.

Once I was greeted at my friends house by his little brother. He was pointing an unloaded Tangfolio at me. He was damned lucky I didn't draw on him. :cuss:

SASS#23149
March 24, 2003, 10:12 PM
OR anything else thay don't intend to shoot!!!
even an "air rifle" can permanently injure you.
Explain gun safety to the group,in a calm fatherly fashion,and if the dont "get it",find new friends before you get hurt.

The jury is still out on using the "air gun" as an air gun.

Stevie-Ray
March 24, 2003, 10:13 PM
It's good practice to never aim any kind of gun at another person. Unless of course it's a paintball gun.:D

Air guns are especially bad because of the crap that can accumulate in the bores getting forced out and causing injury.

You were right and most of us would have had the same reaction.

TrapperReady
March 24, 2003, 10:19 PM
A couple weeks ago, I was at a sporting goods store with my two kids, and a couple young guys were checking out a Kimber .45. After the second time one nimrod had crossed my 4 year old with the muzzle (from 20 feet away), I walked over and informed him that he should treat all guns as if they are loaded and point it somewhere safe, and NOT at my kids.

He gave me somewhat clueless look, but from then on he pointed the weapon at one of the deer heads on the wall.

Morons. IMO, behavior like that should cause the salesmen to take the gun away, and hand them a brochure for an NRA-approved safety course.

Standing Wolf
March 24, 2003, 10:35 PM
I think you need a new band.

J Miller
March 24, 2003, 11:00 PM
No, you did not over react!
I have a Daisy BB gun that on more than one ocassion has been repeated checkt and proved to be empty. Then from some recess inside will come a BB and it will shoot.
So as with any gun, never point it at anything you don't want to shoot.

thumbtack
March 25, 2003, 12:08 AM
Glocks are a thing of Beauty.

If you get a new band you can call yourselves, "The Glocks"

A Daisy Single Cock BB may not kill you, but in the words of mama "you can lose an eye with that thing."

Yohan
March 25, 2003, 12:27 AM
The Glocks? I'd rather be called The "Pink Poogywoogygoogly Bears" than the Glocks. :barf: The thing is, when he pointed it, he had his finger in the trigger guard. Scarier thing is, he has on occasion pulled the trigger- with the air pumped- at me. He caught hell from me when he did it though.

Archie
March 25, 2003, 12:33 AM
You did not over-react to having any kind of gun pointed at you.

Normal reaction is to remove the threat and convince the pointer, by any and all means requisite, not to do that EVERY AGAIN. If you did not beat him silly, or position the gun so he can carry it without use of his hands, you did not over-react.

Using the airgun as an air-gun was probably a bad idea.... it gives the feeling that "this thing" really isn't a gun.

Yes, I did some very silly and dangerous things in my mis-spent youth. Some involved guns; more involved cars.

Yohan
March 25, 2003, 12:40 AM
Guns = Tools. I was reading an article about how old timers would use their SAA revolvers as hammers sometimes. Where is the line between being resourceful and being dumb?

BerettaNut92
March 25, 2003, 01:12 AM
LOL I thought you ditched your dummer?!?!?!

At my friend's place this girl brought an Airsoft Beretta Inox. They were shooting it in the living room with all of us crowded in there :rolleyes:.

My two pet peeves are unsecured firearms and unsolved Rubik's cubes laying around. I dropped the mag out (she topped it off :rolleyes: ) and since I couldn't lock the slide open, I stuck a pencil in there.

Another guy (a friend of a friend) :cuss: :cuss: said "Jeez, it's just a toy gun." He also knows enough about ballistics because he's a :cuss: engineering student and plays enough counterstrike to know enough about guns.

Whatever. And I'm the dangerous one!

pax
March 25, 2003, 01:21 AM
Where is the line between being resourceful and being dumb?
In my experience, by the time a guy thinks to ask that question, he's already several miles over the line. :D

pax

Creativity, as has been said, consists largely of rearranging what we know in order to find out what we do not know. Hence, to think creatively, we must be able to look afresh at what we normally take for granted. -- George Kneller

Phyphor
March 25, 2003, 01:29 AM
" and plays enough counterstrike to know enough about guns"

Oh. My. God.

ANYONE who claims to know guns by playing Counterstrike should be taken out and clubbed like a baby seal. Or better yet, should be made to take a saftey course and actually fire a real gun.

I mean, c'mon, this is the same game that had the FN P-90 ejecting spent brass out the SIDE, and had the Glock 18 as a 3-rd burst weapon. :cuss:

BerettaNut92
March 25, 2003, 01:34 AM
About that guy. I say, 'I'm going to put a ping pong ball up at 50 feet. 21 feet is the limit, but I don't want anything coming back.'

He argues that it's physically impossible for a ping pong ball fragment to come back 21 feet at me. Like I care. Bad stuff happens when boomsticks and sharpsticks are involved and I don't take any chances!!!

But he felt pretty adamant about convincing me. Having taken physics and all :barf:

Sven
March 25, 2003, 01:59 AM
But suddenly, my drummer turned the rifle on my bass guitarist

Great quote. Dangerous Move.

"You'll shoot yer eye out"... brain shot = possible instant death. Criminal, civil charges, a lifetime of suffering.

Not worth it.

-

I try to avoid letting my drummers get a hold of anything sharper than a garden tool, based on past experiences.

Good drummers are hard to find.

-sven

Greg L
March 25, 2003, 02:09 AM
Good drummers are hard to find.

Especially when Spinal Tap is in town. ;)

Greg

BerettaNut92
March 25, 2003, 02:16 AM
Sven.

Q: Why shouldn't you let your drummer take point with an 870 on an entry team?

A: Because they never know when to come in.

:D :D :D

Double Maduro
March 25, 2003, 02:18 AM
Do you know why drummers keep a pair of sticks on their dash board?

So they can park in handicapped spaces.

Musician friends told me that.

Beav
March 25, 2003, 02:21 AM
No over-reaction.

I know two people that are blind in one eye due to BB guns.

Double Maduro
March 25, 2003, 02:21 AM
Oh and just a thought.

Did you ever consider putting the BB gun away when your friends were coming over? If they can't get their hands on it they can't point it at you or anyone else.

Just a thought.

coonan357
March 25, 2003, 02:42 AM
Yohan I would say hold on a second I 'm gonna do it like you :

\\ beat him up long the side of the head with tthe stock of the thing and pound some sense into that boythen he will get the hint ....\\:D

now I know that your \\= liberal , but coonans\\= senseable male from the 50's! A.K.A. my dad

makdaddy03
March 25, 2003, 02:49 AM
Thats a drummer and bassist for you.;)

shermacman
March 25, 2003, 08:44 AM
My Daisy air rifle can crush a squirrel's head at 100' (how do I know that?!). A pellet through the side of the neck would cut the carotid artery. Very messy, lots of blood, bleed out in a very few panic-filled minutes. Taking an eye out is easy, blasting out some crud that got stuck in the barrel would leave you blind also. Remember how Bruce Lee's son died? Those guys were supposedly weapons experts, they 'knew' that gun was empty.

illuminatus99
March 25, 2003, 08:47 AM
never had that problem, all the members of my band are shooters and very safety oriented.

larry_minn
March 25, 2003, 02:04 PM
People have been KILLED by bb/pellet guns. Inform your friends that the next time they point a gun at you they will be arrested. There is a threat of serious injury at least. One warning is all it takes. Then follow up on it.

cool45auto
March 25, 2003, 03:31 PM
I don't think you can over react in a situation like that! I don't want to look down the barrel of anything.

Labinnac
March 25, 2003, 03:44 PM
I've had a couple of guns pulled on me. All of which were by fathers of my friends when we were being stupid late at night. One was a 12 gauge pump, the other a super redhawk .44mag... And, oh yeah, they were both loaded. Being young and dumb is fun but dangerous I guess. But having any gun, loaded or otherwise, pulled on you is never a fun thing...

dhoomonyou
March 25, 2003, 04:29 PM
YOU did well.
A few years ago i'm sitting at my desk and some A hole points his laser pointer at my chest, (I ALmost drew on him) I approached him in the hall and told him in no uncertain terms where i would put that device IF he ever did that again.(He never did)
I know someone who has a friend that he takes to the range, this "FRIEND/IDIOT" takes a loaded pistol and places it in the small of his back to see how it fits. JERK , my buddy ended that range session real quick.

Whenever i go to the range i try to get there early in the day or late before closing, if there are too many "COWBOYS" or wannabees i usually dont practice.

hksw
March 25, 2003, 04:38 PM
What are the four rules of gun safety?

Peetmoss
March 25, 2003, 05:38 PM
My best friend is blind in one eye from a bb gun. I will never forget that day. So no way did you over react. You under reacted IMNSHO.

Carlos Cabeza
March 25, 2003, 06:11 PM
I am definitely not a teen any more but I would have
PUT MY FOOT IN HIS @$$ !:D ..............Well maybe that is over reacting a bit, but THERE ARE NO SECOND CHANCES ! so have a nice talk with your friend and kindly ask that he NEVER do that again or you will take EXTREME MEASURES !;)

Shoeless
March 26, 2003, 01:49 AM
The rules of gun safety all work TOGETHER. You can't ignore one of them sometimes and another one sometimes and yet another one sometimes... because sometime you'll ignore TWO of them at the same time and then BLAM somebody's dead.

The reason you don't point a gun at anyone ANY time is because you are developing the HABIT of always practicing muzzle control without thinking. Which is the same reason you always check your firearm to verify that is it loaded/unloaded. Which is the same reason you always keep your finger outside the trigger guard.

I can't tell you how many times in a single weekend I tell someone at the range "watch your muzzle" as it is pointed right at me, and they say "oh, it's not loaded". Grrrrrr, THAT DOESN'T FREAKIN' MATTER, IDIOT!!! If you watch it whether it's loaded or not, you NEVER have to worry.

Shoeless

Jim March
March 26, 2003, 02:48 AM
Most of us, certainly myself included, are at a point where we CANNOT point a gun at a human being, unless the need is so dire there's no other choice. The exception is when I personally know the gun is sufficiently *visibly* disassembled that it's no longer a gun. A Ruger single action with the cylinder pulled and the base pin back in so the action works is a good example, if demonstrating disarm techniques or something.

A solid plastic "red gun", or a squirt gun in a pinch is even better.

blackhawk2000
March 26, 2003, 10:23 AM
This sounds like a reoccurring theme with him. Next time he does it take it from him and smash it to bits on the ground.

If you enjoyed reading about "Friends with bad habits" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!