What are the Brit's using?

PDA

twoblink
March 24, 2003, 10:18 PM
What are our British counterparts using for standard issue?

They look like 80's to me, but I can't tell. Too dusty..

If you enjoyed reading about "What are the Brit's using?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SodaPop
March 24, 2003, 10:19 PM
Read SWAT magazine.;)

Yes! They are using the SA80 over there.

The Brits hate them.

TheLastBoyScout
March 24, 2003, 10:20 PM
All the pics I've seen had them carrying SA80s

El Tejon
March 24, 2003, 10:20 PM
Yeah, out in the dirt and the flying metal, the "Iwannacoolgun" virus goes away ahora mismo.;)

Tamara
March 24, 2003, 10:22 PM
They're using Jam-O-Matic 9000's.

Schuey2002
March 24, 2003, 10:56 PM
They're also using the SA80 LSW ( light support weapon) which isn't any better..:barf:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/graphics/2002/07/06/nrifle06.jpeg

Deadman
March 24, 2003, 11:27 PM
I've also seen quite a bit of footage showing British troops using the para version of the Minimi.

CWL
March 24, 2003, 11:29 PM
I know that some special forces units (SAS/SBS use the M16). I think Royal Marines Commandos do so as well, not sure if Royal Marines use them or not.

TexasVet
March 24, 2003, 11:32 PM
One Brit I heard called his an "MP" (Member of Parliament) cause it doesn't work and you can't fire it.

UnknownSailor
March 25, 2003, 12:50 AM
Over at AR15.com, it has been revealed that the ammunition the UK troops have to use is downloaded, in an attempt to make the rifle feed reliably.

It doesn't help.

BerettaNut92
March 25, 2003, 12:58 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/graphics/2002/07/06/nrifle06.jpeg

Schuey this is Skunk...whiskey tango foxtrot on the acticaltay, over?

Jeez what do you call a foregrip on the back? A .... aftgrip? That takes the cake for most baffling tactical accessory.

twoblink
March 25, 2003, 12:59 AM
This is what happens when you pick a rifle for political reasons instead of tactical reasons..

Or better yet, logistical reasons.

Destructo6
March 25, 2003, 02:40 AM
You're supposed to use the rear grip when you go supported on the bipod. Most machineguns have some provision for the support hand back there.

Either that or it aids the suicidal in aiming the weapon at one's chest.

Tamara
March 25, 2003, 08:16 AM
This is what happens when you pick a rifle for political reasons instead of tactical reasons..

Or better yet, logistical reasons.

If it wasn't picked for "tactical reasons", it wouldn't be a bullpup. If it wasn't picked for "logistical reasons", it wouldn't be a 5.56mm.

So, there you go man: a rifle that's all ate up with "tactical" and "logistical". :rolleyes:

Oleg Volk
March 25, 2003, 10:25 AM
Get that copy of SWAT...after all, your face appears in it, too.

AJ Dual
March 25, 2003, 10:29 AM
It's kind of sad when you think that British Aerospace owned HK for a few years, and they still wound up with this mutilated AR-180...

There must have been a golden opportunity to go with the G36, when they first considered ditching the SA80 and they passed it up.

twoblink
March 25, 2003, 11:05 AM
Tamara.. I don't know, if it was tactical... It'd be in 308 instead of 5.56...:D

Oleg... Does SWAT take subscriptions to Taiwan??

Schuey2002
March 25, 2003, 01:37 PM
Schuey this is Skunk...whiskey tango foxtrot on the acticaltay, over?

"Rojah that, whiskay banjo lima, ovah !!"
"Ta-eekin' Bluh-day incomin' fi-ah', ovah !!!"

... Long pause ...

"SA 80-eez not Bluh-day woohkin', ovah !"
"Permission to use M-Faaah's, o'---vah ?!"

<<Meanwhile, in the background>> bang .. jam.. clear.. rack..tap.. clunk.. *ARGH!*.. [This portion was edited out do to the liberal use of expletives!!] bang.. jam.. click.. cli.. cl.. :cuss: :cuss:

"Steehl naught bluh-day woohkin', ovah!"

... Another long pause ...

"Need yah help, can yah hear me, whiskay banjo lima, ovah?!"
"Send Tactical support, ovah !"

:D

Bart Noir
March 25, 2003, 02:46 PM
Schuey, if you can do that in person, you must be a riot to party with!

The SA80 was reworked after the last Gulf War (G. W. Episode 1?) showed lots of problems. The official test results said that it is now a fine weapon. 'Course, the official testing said that it was a fine weapon to start with! This war will be the real test.

I read one report, in local paper, where one of our Marines was quoted as saying that his M-249 SAW kept jamming in his first firefight. That must wreck a feeling of confidence in one's weapon, to say the least. And don't think he had been lazy in cleaning it, since the Marines are rumored to wear out their M-16s just from cleaning. They are sincere about cleaning but they are in the world's worst combat environment, I guess.

Bart Noir
"If you can read this, you are well within range".

Alan Smithiee
March 25, 2003, 02:56 PM
point: not every copy of a weapon made are top notch, like anything else you can get a leamon.. (remembering a FN C2 that just would NOT go more than 3 rounds at a time without a jam. and others that were flawless...)

gun-fucious
March 25, 2003, 03:18 PM
Zam Fear this!
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=190508

Schuey2002
March 25, 2003, 09:53 PM
Schuey, if you can do that in person, you must be a riot to party with!
Hehehe.. :neener:

Deadman
March 26, 2003, 05:59 AM
I read one report, in local paper, where one of our Marines was quoted as saying that his M-249 SAW kept jamming in his first firefight. That must wreck a feeling of confidence in one's weapon, to say the least. And don't think he had been lazy in cleaning it, since the Marines are rumored to wear out their M-16s just from cleaning. They are sincere about cleaning but they are in the world's worst combat environment, I guess.

I was told a good way to keep a Minimi from jamming frequently was to use lots of gun oil. Of course too much oil in a windy/sandy environment wouldn't be the best of ideas......

(Aus. Minimi manual advocates using graphite powder in dusty/sandy conditions.)

Coronach
March 26, 2003, 09:37 AM
Ah...a little Jethro Tull. Very nice. :cool:

Mike

If you enjoyed reading about "What are the Brit's using?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!