extremely worried about my cousin

PDA

mattman the gun fan
August 20, 2005, 05:45 PM
Well my cousin is 26 years old,recently divorced and he is a meth addict.About a month ago he shot himself through the thigh and the rectum.The doc told him he would have to use a colostemy (sorry for the spelling) bag for 5 months or possbily the rest of his life.And 2 days ago i get the call from my aunt saying he was in the hospital again he shot himself with a shotgun through the leg and he blew away one of his testicals.I guess he was smoking meth that night to. i feel awful for his daughter and he has another on the way.My aunt says he isnt even the same person after smoking that stuff for 1 year.He forgets were he lives and forgets who we are alot of the time.Its sad how badly drugs can mess you up.

If you enjoyed reading about "extremely worried about my cousin" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Delmar
August 20, 2005, 05:57 PM
My sympathies are with you, Mattman. It is certainly no joy to watch someone you used to know chemically change into someone you'd rather not know.

First things first-get the guns out of the house ASAP! Personally, I would not leave a meth head with anything more dangerous than a spork. Silverware-gone. Butcher and paring knives-gone. I am quite surprised the local LEO's have not been informed of his condition, but for all concerned, that fella needs to be in a soft room eating soft food until he is dried out.

One thing I have noticed is that people with drug habits generally seem to have a penchant for drug abuse, be it legal or not. I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule like anything else, but it does seem like that is the case.

I have a step son who finally stopped the hard stuff and feels like he is reformed, however, he smokes more grass than a Toro self propelled and his alchohol intake is pretty scary!

Taurus 66
August 20, 2005, 06:00 PM
I have one for you. A friend of my brother (friend's name was Louie) was into heroin. He was actually a pretty decent guy and would give you the shirt off his back. He was skinny yet built, if you know the type. If you ever found trouble in a bar, Louie was the guy you wanted backing you up 'cause man could he fight!

Then he started using heroin. I suppose the crack binges weren't enough of a high for him. One hot summer's night in 2000, he took a 12 gauge as if he was going to shoot himself in the head, but the gun misfired and the full shot went into his shoulder. He required five surgeries before the shoulder was finally pieced back together. I'll never forget that steel rod connecting from his shoulder to the bone in his forearm. This was to immobilize the arm at 90 degrees until it completely healed.

Two years after that incident, Louie was found dead by his ex in a 2nd floor room. The autopsy ruled the death as a bad batch of heroin.

wrench
August 20, 2005, 06:14 PM
I feel your pain, my brother in law got hooked on meth, took a great guy and turned him mean, unpredictable. He stole, lost his business, his house, his wife and kid, thousands in debt, for what? :fire:

Standing Wolf
August 20, 2005, 06:29 PM
I don't think you need to worry about your cousin. From the sound of things, he's already dead, but just hasn't figured it out.

Some people just don't have the strength to get through their lives.

gripper
August 20, 2005, 06:36 PM
Guys and gals,meth is NOTHING new;neither is addiction and the destructive tendencies it brings out.Up here in the state of MA.,tweakers arew neck and neck with oxycontin users for the "Oh *****!" of the week( or in some cases,the day!).There is something else thats not new,codeine with a time release.What I can't figure out is not many people seem to stop (or at least slow)their descent before they slam into that oncomming sidewalk.I guess gravity and momentum have a force all their own.
As to your friend,you need to ask yourself this;does he know yet that he as a choice?The one ewhere he can either decide to live (and live well) or continue and die?And rom his last two firearms related incidents go,not even die all at once,but piece by piece?
I was never an altar boy(thank God!!),nor am I a preacher type;but there ARE times when nothing but evaluating what you are doing,what the results have been so far,and whether or not contuing will give better outcomes or the same ,that introspection is all that will save him.Unfortunately its easy for no one.I'm not a twelve step type,but ther ARE groups like that and others that could be of assistance to him and his,but like they all say" only if he chooses".Hopefully hell decide not to lose or throw away any more than he has;but intervention by his friends and family will probably have tio have some role.
For what its worth ,I;ll pray for you and yours.Sorry to ramble.

GregGry
August 20, 2005, 06:42 PM
codeine with a time release. I was on one of the highest codine pain killers for 3 weeks (legaly) after a auto accident. Needless to say I wont take that ever again, I was getting very scary halucinations, and I would wake up and not be able to move. No thanks...

Anyway, I am sorry to hear about your cousin, I hope things turn out for the better.

sumpnz
August 20, 2005, 06:52 PM
I was given generic Vicodin when I had mono about 10 years ago. The shot of Demerol they gave me at the Urgent Care did nothing (though the 1500cc of IV fluid worked wonders). I quit taking the pain pills when I realized I wasn't really haveing conversations with my parents and sister, and that the large glass of cold water never existed.

Course I never understood why they gave me that prescription anyway. They were damn horse pills, and my throat was so swollen my tonsils were literally touching. The fact that it hurt like hell to even swallow the pills also factored into the early termination of use.

M2 Carbine
August 21, 2005, 12:17 AM
I've got to copy your posts for the next time one of those "there ain't nothing wrong with taking drugs, creeps" shows up on a forum.

mattman the gun fan,
I'm sorry for your cousin's family.
Truthfully, I can't say I'm sorry for your cousin or whatever happens to any doper.

bogie
August 21, 2005, 12:34 AM
Not to be callous, but evolution in action. Either get an intervention going, get the fellow into rehab, or go pick out a nice headstone.

Personally, if someone wants to do that crap, fine. Let 'em. Just don't let 'em on the roads with me.

Blue Jays
August 21, 2005, 12:44 AM
Hi Mattman-

The likelihood of your cousin escaping the clutches of the drugs and regaining his former life is very slim. Sorry to hear your horrible story. Bogie's words would be difficult for any concerned family to read, but I believe they illustrate what will happen in reality.

~ Blue Jays ~

Preacherman
August 21, 2005, 01:15 AM
Mattman, as a chaplain in a high-security prison, I deal with dopeheads all the time. They're permanently brain-damaged, I'm afraid, and will never return to "normalcy". I'm afraid that from what you've told us, it sounds as if your cousin is already too far down the road to be fully rescued... sad though it is to have to say that.

I suggest the best thing you can do right now is to remove all potentially self-damaging instruments from his reach, including firearms, kitchen utensils, garden tools, etc. At least that way he'll have to really try before being able to hurt himself.

Buck Snort
August 21, 2005, 04:54 AM
My 35 year old stepson was a drug addict, meth and you name it, and he hung himself in a closet. I'm here to tell you the meth is a scourge that is killing our society. We have the walking dead amongst us and some of them are homicidal as hell. Truth is you don't need Al-quida when you've got meth.

Mixlesplick
August 21, 2005, 09:20 AM
I've got to copy your posts for the next time one of those "there ain't nothing wrong with taking drugs, creeps" shows up on a forum.

I haven't seen too many of the "ain't nothing wrong with taking drugs" people on forums. I have seen a lot of "it's a personal choice whether to take drugs" people. All these drug laws are fairly ineffective. Almost everyone posting here knows someone whose life was ruined by drugs, illegal or not.

When I see drug users around town acting strange I pity them (a little) but I still want them to stay the heck away from me. And, yeah, some of those drugs do permanent damage even when someone stops using them.

My friend managed to smash up three cars while drinking alchohol before he wised up. Luckily he never injured anyone.

GregGry
August 21, 2005, 09:35 AM
quit taking the pain pills when I realized I wasn't really haveing conversations with my parents and sister, and that the large glass of cold water never existed. I bet that was freaky :what:. In my case I just saw a gargoyle sitting and watching me, a demon doing the same thing, and the third time I saw my mother. Now seeing my mother wasn't bad, but she had been dead for 2 years at that point :what:. Not to mention not being able to moveor scream after waking up from dreaming, really made me stop cold turkey. Of course my doctor neglected to mention that you can't just stop ttaking the drug, you will go though withdrawls. I spent atleast a week not being able to sleep well, and feeling very irritable. Ohh well, I wasn't going to have another halucination. :what:

Jubei
August 21, 2005, 09:37 AM
My sympathies go out to his daughter and the child on the way. He is a pathetic, self-absorbed loser and a prime example of natural selection.

Jubei

Sam
August 21, 2005, 10:02 AM
Mattman,
My sympathies for you and your family. I hope that you can all reach an early resolution to this problem

Mixlesplick,
THR is loaded with "there ain't nothing wrong with taking drugs" folk. It is something that goes along with Libertarianism. Obviously there is something wrong with it because drug users keep indulging in contra survival behavor.
They follow their party mantra very well until it comes time to flush their kin from the public cloaca.

Sam

Derby FALs
August 21, 2005, 10:19 AM
Drug abuse is a symptom of an underlying problem. Drugs aren't bad anymore than guns...

Andrew Rothman
August 21, 2005, 11:19 AM

How do you like it when the antis point to grisly gun murders and suicides and say, "This is for the 'There's nothing wring with guns ' creeps."

Anyway, no one here that I've seen says, "there's nothing wrong with drugs." What I have seen is "It's not the government's business."

Most rational folk can understand that alcohol cause far more health- and violence-related problems than marijuana, for instance. Yet I would protest vehemently if they tried to take away my right to have a nice glass of 12-year-old single-malt Scotch. (Okay, I'd like the 18, but I'm not made of money!)

It's my inalienable right to wreck my body in any way I please -- I just shouldn't wreck others'.

Oh, and by the way, "drugs" is a word like "weapons," and subject to the same hyperbole.

Meth is to Pot
as
.357 is to Nuclear Warhead

boofus
August 21, 2005, 11:25 AM
From a purely technical standpoint-> Guns don't cause a chemical reaction to occur inside the brain to impair your judgement or cause hallucination... Unless you spend 2-3 hours huffing Hoppes #9, in which case it probably does have the same effect as a mind-altering drug.

Some people do stupid things with guns, but it is possible to own guns and be a very responsible individual. It is impossible to take drugs and not effect the normal functioning of the brain. Chemicals that normally are not in the brain are released when the drug is taken, that is known fact.

They should open Crackcenters where addicts could be strapped to beds while they take their drug of choice. Pass a law saying they can be shot on sight when you catch them stealing something you own to support their habit. Then you still have individual freedom to be a dopehead, and it doesn't hurt the rest of us.

sumpnz
August 21, 2005, 11:32 AM
I bet that was freaky :what: Yeah it was. It took me a couple-three days to figure it out too. I think I realized what was happening when I tried to re-start the conversation later when my parents actually were home and they had no clue what I was going on about. Either that or I realized during one of the "conversations" that it had to not be real since they were both at work. Things are a little hazy from that time.

I was so sick at the time that my sister even felt sorry for me.

Justin
August 21, 2005, 12:30 PM
If this thread turns into a debate over the drug war using Mattman's family members as nothing more than a pawn in a back-and-forth point-counterpoint match, I will close this thread without hesitation.

Justin
August 21, 2005, 12:35 PM
Mattman, I don't know how close you are with his wife/girlfriend, but I would say that at this point if she and the kid(s) aren't out of the house, they need to be, ASAP.

Get the rest of your family together, sit down, and come up with a plan for moving them out. So far he's only hurt himself, but even if he is beyond help, his family isn't.

p35
August 21, 2005, 01:06 PM
Meth causes physical changes in the brain that make it extremely difficult to kick the habit. Having said that, it's possible to clean up, but the addict has to make the commitment him/her self to do that. Recognize that some things are in your control and others are not. Others have already mentioned the things you can do- take his guns, protect his family, if he has access to any financial assets/credit accounts get them out of his control for his family's benefit. I'm sure many people have tried to talk to him about getting into rehab before he kills himself; just let him know that you will help him when he's ready but won't support him as he is. Above all, realize that you aren't responsible for his actions.

I'm surprised he's still alive, BTW- I knew a guy who accidentally shot himself in the same area with a 9mm and died before they could get him to the hospital.

bogie
August 21, 2005, 01:50 PM
The thing is, while the drug use isn't a good thing, the fact that it is illegal compounds it. It adds to paranoia, and encourages the user along the lines of "hey, I'm already a criminal, what's one more little thing?"

Plus, the black market is huge. If drugs were all legalized tomorrow, we'd see some very interesting economics in action. Where would street gangs get the money to buy illegal firearms, for one thing... It'd go back to the traditional organized crime/rico bit, prostitution, gambling, organized theft, etc., which doesn't have near the profit potential.

At the same time, with the illegality stigma removed, people will be more inclined to seek help.

Then there's the typical simplistic DARE party line... They take all the drugs, show the stuff to the kiddies, and tell 'em that they're bad. Does anyone actually think that works? Or is DARE just an excuse to have a rubber gun squad (likely comprised of folks who are the only ones in the room professional enough...)? The problem that arises from this is that the kiddies think that the drugs are all equally bad, with equally bad side effects. They see someone who smokes the occasional doob, and then they equate that with meth or horse. Problem is that they then assume that methamphetamine or opioids are no more hazardous than pot.

Rather than treating a user like a criminal, get them into rehab. If you need police/legal help to do so, make a deal with DA before you get going.

Mannlicher
August 21, 2005, 02:14 PM
maybe his aim will improve.............

Blue Line
August 21, 2005, 02:25 PM
Mattman, I agree with Justin and Preacherman, you have should look out for your cousins kid and wife, just so they don't get on the recieving end of one of his suicide attempts.
His ill attemepts to commit suicide are a "cry for Help". If he wanted to kill himself it would be over by now.

Someone should contact your local mental health and have him evaulated because he is certainly a threat to himself and possiblely others.

I have seen meth abuse before and there always seems to be kids involved that had to suffer for nothing they did other than being kids.

I hope it all works out for the best

fisherman66
August 21, 2005, 03:19 PM
I'm sorry to hear of those troubles. I've seen that side of the fence and decided I liked life too much to continue. Maybe you could help him write his will (if that doesn't provide some sense of rationality then you will be glad it was written.)

ny_vin18
August 21, 2005, 09:13 PM
iam truely sorry to hear about ur cousin. i have a brother who is addicted to crack. when sobber he would do anything for the people he loved, but when high its like he could care less about us. from the experiences see what my bro has done done and gone through and what my family has gone through to try and get him help i would maybe start with an intervention. like gathering friends and family members and a person who knows a whole lot about drugs or alchohol and not telling him but telling him to meet u somewhere like ur house or somewhere private. it looks like ur bro need to be put into a drug program far from his home like in another state or across the country. atleast a few months to a year kinda program. it didnt help my brother but it just may help ur cousin. i hope i have given u some decent advice. bringing him down to the county morgue sometime may even scare him alittle, i doubt it seeing how bad of an addiction he has but it is well worth the try. and to just tell him every single day that u love him, even though he wont want to hear it. try to use his kids, say saying how much they love their dad and how bad it would be to not have their father around to see them grow up. and just MAYBE that one time he goes to get high he wont cause of what u may of said. it is all worth a try man. godbless u and ur cousin and goodluck i hope everything works out eventually.

Geno
August 21, 2005, 09:39 PM
There is a WONDERFUL little pill, named "Suboxone". This wonderful, God-sent anti-drug is completely harmless and will block any known drug from reaching the brain's receptors.

This little beauty is taken (1 Mg. or 2Mgs. under the tongue). Have your cousin put on this stuff and his brain will be INCAPABLE of reacting to drugs, because the medicine adhere so tightly to the neurons that the drugs can not affix themselves, thus altering cognition.

Following my Appr. 20th surgery from the auto accident, the pain was still horrid. My doctor had me using a 50 MicroGm. Duragesic patch. That medication is literally 1,000 (one-thousand) times stronger than Morphene. To go off Duragesic patches, one MUST use Suboxone...otherwise your blood pressure will within hours do a 400 over 300 instead of the nice normal 120 over 80...YOU WILL DIE...FACT FIRM!

Doctors have the patient use Suboxone for about 6 months, then simply go off it...simple as that.

THERE IS HOPE....THERE IS HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If all else fails, and you can't find a doctor to prescribe Suboxone, e-mail me...I'll give the leading Dr.'s name in America.

Just one side-effect to be aware of...the surgeon will NOT, WILL NOT be able to knock you out for surgery unless you stop Suboxone...remember, it blocks the attachment of mind-altering drugs.

Here's to health!!!!!!!!!!

Doc2005

BryanP
August 21, 2005, 10:18 PM
Hmm. I looked up the FDA page on this Suboxone. (http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/infopage/subutex_suboxone/subutex-qa.htm) Interesting stuff. Looks kind of like anabuse for opiates instead of alcohol. Not that anabuse therapy works for most long term either.

bogie
August 21, 2005, 11:38 PM
"Any known drug" - huh?

Sounds to me like it's opioid specific. Not that that's a bad thing, but it likely ain't gonna do squat with something like crack, crank (well, to an extent...), or meth.

nextjoe
August 21, 2005, 11:47 PM
Suboxone is for the treatment of opiate addiction. Crystal meth is not an opiate. So... it wouldn't do any good in this case.

And while Suboxone/buprenorphine is a promising treatment, it's not the magic bullet that a lot of people think it is. I know people who have tried it, relapsed, and ended up on methadone maintenance.

280PLUS
August 22, 2005, 07:02 AM
I dealt with an addicted woman (cocaine/crack) for several years. The most important thing anyone can remember in these situations is that there is only one person who is going to help that person kick the drugs. The person themselves. No amount of talking, pleading, scare tactics, rehab, etc etc will make them quit unless THEY really want to. Never allow yourself or others to be dragged down with them in any attempts to help them. And do not blame yourself if you are unable to help them. It is not your fault. It is very tough to let someone go knowing full well they will not survive and live a normal life. But sometimes it becomes necessary.

You can talk to someone until you're blue in the face but unless that person really and truly wants to help themselves it will do no good.

Taurus 66
August 22, 2005, 12:27 PM
How do you like it when the antis point to grisly gun murders and suicides and say, "This is for the 'There's nothing wring with guns ' creeps."

I'm starting a list and now have two words:

pwned

wring

:D

RavenVT100
August 22, 2005, 01:20 PM
I grew up in some rural parts of Indiana so I've seen my share of meth addicts, meth labs, meth, you name it. Never took any of that, or any kind of illicit drug, no matter how much my friends were doing it.

Meth makes you nuts. That's the most concise way I can describe it. We had this woman working for my Mom's business who was on meth (as it turned out) and she was basically bats*$t insane the whole time. Major OCD-ish symptoms, major paranoia, you name it. Eventually she ended up in a mental hospital (involunarily, of course).

There's always that urban legend floating around about how the Dad decided his kid was Satan and he cut his kid's head off with a hunting knife. I rather believe it's true, or at least plausible. Of course crystal meth is always implicated. But I can see something like PCP doing that as well.

White Horseradish
August 22, 2005, 02:03 PM
My sympathies to you and your family.

As I see it, you (and them) have a very hard choice to make. Either someone gives up a significant chunk of their life and watches this guy 24/7 unitl he is cleaned up and then tries to set him on the straight and narrow, or you cut your losses and let him go.

The first option has a high chance of failure. This failure may also damage or ruin completely the caretakers life. Like a drowning man, these guys try to pull you under with them.

The second option is extremely painful in the immediate, but much safer for all but the addict in the long run. You do not gamble with anyone's life here, you just assume the man is gone.

Having some experience in something like this, I urge you to sit down with the rest of the family and talk this out and make a decsion. His next wayward shot may find someone on the other side of a wall.

And, as others have mentioned, immediately remove all weapons and tools from his house. Rent a storage unit, if you have to, or want to avoid accusations of theft.

logical
August 22, 2005, 02:39 PM
I am not in the "drugs are OK" camp necessarily but obviously this case proves that making them illegal doesn't help. And unfortunately most of the anti-drug effort out there is legal in nature....more laws...lock 'em up.

thorn726
August 22, 2005, 03:29 PM
you know growing up i never saw meth. one well connected guy saw some once.
in NY there is very little meth. why? the mob doesnt make it, and can't profit well enough off it. they don't let it in. although i understnad it is trying to creep its way into the northeast finally

here in Cali, it is Rampant, horrible horrible stuff.

soooo cheap, so dangerous. i am sorry you are dealing with this it is pretty hard to get people to stop.

the good thing though= if you do get them to stop, unlike crack etc, many speed freaks who get clean reliaze just how messed up they are and never go back. not easy to get them clean though.

i hate meth

thorn726
August 22, 2005, 03:31 PM
Suboxone/buprenorphine is a promising treatment, it's not the magic bullet that a lot of people think it is. I know people who have tried it, relapsed, and ended up on methadone maintenance.

uh yeah- i know PLENTY of dope addicts who take that drug, and still shoot up a day later.

and methadone users who still occasionally do their dope.

methadone, although it helps, really is garbage. the users don't really get high, but they get a fix every day, and are still totally in the whole sick/well dope scenario. most of them still want ot be on heroin, and often go back or "chip", do a little sometimes.

people need to KICK the hard way

roo_ster
August 22, 2005, 04:54 PM
mattman:

You are right to be worried. Your family has to get together & make some gawdawfully difficult decisions right quick, or more incidents are just going to keep "happening."

IMO, get his daughter & mother of his coming daughter away from him, ASAP.

Do what you can to keep him from dangerous objects, but know that if he can find meth, he can find other dangerous objects.

Stauble
August 22, 2005, 05:28 PM
It is unlawful for the following persons to own, possess or use any firearm: drug addicts, alcoholics, mental incompetents, and vagrants.

this is the Florida law on firearms. im sure that most other states have the same thing. So it is unlawful for ur cousin to have the guns. I'm sorry to say that they'll have to go.
My deepest sympathies to you sir

mattman the gun fan
September 5, 2005, 01:34 PM
well a little update on the situation.turn out he has since become homless his mom has takein over his house and is renting it out for 500 a month if anyone lives in jefferson county in ohio.he is somewere near geneva (sorry bout the spelling) it seems as if he doesnt want any help and we all know the next call we get will be someone saying he is dead.he was a extremly cool person.he never said bad things about anyone and he was really friendly. :( i guess things just dont work out for some people.the only funny thing in this is that he is dateing some girl named sunflower lol.she's homeless to. thanks for all the support.he is really ruining my aunts life.my uncle said if she doesnt just give up the house he is leaving her.also his wife left him with the children and she is renting a apartment with his sister.the guns are gone he is gone and he is takeing everyone in the gutter with him.my aunt had to put down his two dogs at his house because they were starving to death.

mattman the gun fan
September 5, 2005, 01:44 PM
There is a WONDERFUL little pill, named "Suboxone". This wonderful, God-sent anti-drug is completely harmless and will block any known drug from reaching the brain's receptors. this pill will block his reaction to the drug?im afraid that if he takes it and he feels nothing from the drug then he will take more and OD on meth.

Blue Jays
September 6, 2005, 12:55 AM
Hi All-

Mattman's post corrected for punctuation and edited for clarity. This will make the update easier to understand:"...Here is a little update on the situation. It turns out my cousin has since become homeless. His mom has taken over his house and is renting it out for $500.00 per month if anyone lives in Jefferson County, Ohio. He is somewere near Geneva (sorry about the spelling) and it seems as if he doesn't want any help. We all know the next call we get will be someone saying he is dead. He was an extremely cool person. He never said bad things about anyone and he was really friendly. I guess things just don't work out for some people. The only funny thing in this is that he is dating some girl named Sunflower, who also happens to be homeless. Thanks for all the support. He is really ruining my aunt's life. My uncle said if she doesn't give up the house, he will leave her. Additionally, his wife left him with the children and she is renting an apartment with his sister. The guns are gone and he is gone...and taking everyone in the gutter with him. My aunt had to euthanize his two dogs because they were starving to death at his house..."~ Blue Jays ~

Buck Snort
September 6, 2005, 02:11 AM
I was going to suggest some kind of legal guardianship but its too late, you lost him. This terribly sad story is being repeated hundreds of thousands of times all across America. It will stop when we institute mandatory life sentences for ANYBODY in any part of the meth trade. I even think the death sentence is appropriate for people who cook and distribute the stuff. If it costs more to lock up these offenders just tell me who to make my check out to. I'll gladly pay more taxes to bring this horror to an end.

mattman the gun fan
July 21, 2006, 12:41 PM
ok i know this thread is very old but i have a update. my cousin was takin to court this month a got sentenced last week to 5-10. my aunt is real depressed so my dad is taking her to chicago with us i august. Just shows were that stuff will get you to. Honestly i dont think he will make it in jail and if he gets out in the two for good behavior he will have 5 years probation wich i dont know anyone that could do 2 years let alone 5.

mnrivrat
July 21, 2006, 02:35 PM
280PLUS in his post #34 put it about as well as it can be said.

You can't save someone from themselves - all the careing & love in the world doesn't give one a drop of control over another persons addictions.

Believe me when I say I learned that from years of harsh experience. The only person you can control is yourself . The hardest thing I ever faced is to give up on a person I cared about - not easy in any sense of the word, but necessary for one's own mental survival .

mogunner
July 21, 2006, 02:43 PM
This post and the replies, are good reasons why it would be great if you could legally just summarily execute Drug dealers. They are the scum of society. On another note, remove anything that this guy can use to hurt himself out of his home. Maybe a extended stay in a rubber room, eating softfoods would help him break the habit.

LanEvo`
July 21, 2006, 02:47 PM
Well my cousin is 26 years old,recently divorced and he is a meth addict.About a month ago he shot himself through the thigh and the rectum.The doc told him he would have to use a colostemy (sorry for the spelling) bag for 5 months or possbily the rest of his life.And 2 days ago i get the call from my aunt saying he was in the hospital again he shot himself with a shotgun through the leg and he blew away one of his testicals.I guess he was smoking meth that night to. i feel awful for his daughter and he has another on the way.My aunt says he isnt even the same person after smoking that stuff for 1 year.He forgets were he lives and forgets who we are alot of the time.Its sad how badly drugs can mess you up.Sorry to hear this. Meth is truly a horrible drug that ruins people's lives. Back in med school I trained at a huge trauma center in a large northeasten city with a serious drug problem. We mostly saw crack/cocaine and heroin. But you'd get the occasional PCP or meth addict. It's a rough life.

The big question for me is...WHY DOES YOUR COUSIN STILL HAVE ACCESS TO FIREARMS!?!?

Today, he's shooting himself. Tomorrow, he may shoot someone else. If you want to help him, start by keeping firearms out of his reach. Involve the police if you have to. Last time I checked, being a drug addict was grounds to have your FID revoked.

Ferrari308
July 21, 2006, 02:50 PM
Mattman, as a chaplain in a high-security prison, I deal with dopeheads all the time. They're permanently brain-damaged, I'm afraid, and will never return to "normalcy".

I keep hope for all people. Even someone who is retarded can live a happy life if the family makes some accomidations. It is just a question of how far the family is willing to go.

If the family has the money, or he has the insurance, there are treatment centers. Try getting him admitted to a program. If he is homeless, life can't be that great. He's going to start hating his life sooner or later, you have to be ready when that time comes to offer an alternative.

It sucks that you said this happened to a nice guy. This should be an example of why drugs are evil.

If you know he is always using, get him busted once by the police. Show up at court, explain to the judge you need help, and want him thrown in court ordered rehab. Push, push, and keep pushing.

There is something else going on you need to get to the bottom of. Nobody wakes up and wants to use drugs. Something in his life caused him to look for drugs. Unless you find the underlying issue, he won't be saved. Find out what made him dislike life so much that he went looking for drugs. And tell the family there are support groups for family members dealing with drug abusers. They might be able to help offer better information about what to do.

romma
July 21, 2006, 04:03 PM
Mattman, as a chaplain in a high-security prison, I deal with dopeheads all the time. They're permanently brain-damaged, I'm afraid, and will never return to "normalcy". Grateful recovering addict here who happens to volunteer at the Dept. of Corrections in Ct.. Some, not all "Dopeheads" as you call them do get released, lose the desire to use, and find a new way to live. The lie is dead, not all addicts die from addiction. I personally shot heroin and cocaine for a long time and have been clean for over 12 yrs.

larry_minn
July 21, 2006, 04:29 PM
Sorry to hear about your/his problem. Meth and other drugs are a major danger. Also different people react to different meds. I have been on Morphine/vicoden/percoset/lorcet/celebrex.codine/etc/etc/etc. Never had (visions) or anything. The most was on dental surgury when his assistant started looking REALLY HOT. (ok she always was a looker but for some reason ufta) I also bounce off meds quickly. Surgury is done and I am awake on way to recovery. (if not in surgury but luckily I don't feel pain) Freaked out a few Dr.s when I come to during surgury. (they tell me later)
Right now I am (clean) I'm supposed to be on Celebrex/vicodin but figure if I can control discomfort I can carry, take part in firearms class. Not (like I said) I have had any problems it just would stink if after justified self defense they say "I see you have been takeing two meds for last two months that MIGHT affect you"

gulogulo1970
July 21, 2006, 05:08 PM
Well maybe prison will allow him to evaluate his life with a sober mind. You can only hope and pray for him to survive and wake-up, he may, when he wakes up in prison and thinks, "where did my life go."

cassandrasdaddy
July 21, 2006, 05:26 PM
pray for him dude. i was like that about 15 years ago. i got in a rehab made and stuck with some substantive changes in how i lived my life and haven't even done a tylenol in 14 years. for me it was prayer and a lotta help and encouragement from my friends and family as well as help from strangers that got me straight. it can happen but odds are long. its a funny thing i remodel houses and a lotta of my clients are leo. we joke how we were both in same biz different sides. myh real sympathies to all the family member hurt. when i was in that condition my world was so selfcentered i was incapable of considering the destruction i wrought.weak excuse but i really didn't mean to hurt anyone else while commiting suicide on the installment plan.some one mentioned intervention and that was great b ut also remember to protect yourself and family from him. good luck man

Lupinus
July 21, 2006, 05:54 PM
I know how hard that can be

I lost my uncle a few years back because he got back into heroin, all it takes is one bad batch and if you have ever watched a 230 bull of a man shrink to a 190 or so pound shadow of himself you know what that crap'll do to a person. Sad part was he was doing good, in aa and other programs, and started using agian because he had had surgery a few weeks prior and the doctors wouldn't give him anything other stronger then vioxx for the pain because of his (at that time anyway) previous drug use and it was the only thing he could think of. I ever find the sob who left him in the apartment when he knew something was wrong and he is in for the hurtin of his life.

Sorry for ranting, but it ticks me off what that stuff will do to a person.

Linux&Gun Guy
July 21, 2006, 06:03 PM
There is a WONDERFUL little pill, named "Suboxone". This wonderful, God-sent anti-drug is completely harmless and will block any known drug from reaching the brain's receptors.

This little beauty is taken (1 Mg. or 2Mgs. under the tongue). Have your cousin put on this stuff and his brain will be INCAPABLE of reacting to drugs, because the medicine adhere so tightly to the neurons that the drugs can not affix themselves, thus altering cognition.

Following my Appr. 20th surgery from the auto accident, the pain was still horrid. My doctor had me using a 50 MicroGm. Duragesic patch. That medication is literally 1,000 (one-thousand) times stronger than Morphene. To go off Duragesic patches, one MUST use Suboxone...otherwise your blood pressure will within hours do a 400 over 300 instead of the nice normal 120 over 80...YOU WILL DIE...FACT FIRM!

Doctors have the patient use Suboxone for about 6 months, then simply go off it...simple as that.

THERE IS HOPE....THERE IS HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If all else fails, and you can't find a doctor to prescribe Suboxone, e-mail me...I'll give the leading Dr.'s name in America.

Just one side-effect to be aware of...the surgeon will NOT, WILL NOT be able to knock you out for surgery unless you stop Suboxone...remember, it blocks the attachment of mind-altering drugs.

Here's to health!!!!!!!!!!

Doc2005

Like other people said bupe(suboxone) is only for opiods and opiates and it is not compleatly harmless - people can and do abuse bupe and it is addictive. Use it correctly and it can get you unaddicted to opiates without getting sick.

Harm reduction is the key to using any drug responsibly - for example meth can and is used without undue harm as long as the user does a few things such as:

Using a safe route of administration such as oral or rectal or sublingual instead of nasal or IV/IM

Making sure to take vitamines and eat well before you dose and take fluids

And NEVER going longer then 24hours on a meth binge - after that it just gets worse and worse and worse but if you take a dose - enjoy it and then stop and wait around untill you can sleep or keep yourself occupied watching TV or reading you give your body a chance to recharge and then you can sleep and wait a week or so before doing it all over again

In this manner most any drug including methamphatamine, herion, oxymorphone and oxycodone, cocaine, LSD(different preperations and care should be done because LSD is an emotional drug) et al can be used safely and sanely and will generally be pleasent and no more harmful or risky then other common activities such as diving or racing if even that risky.

The problem is that there are a large number or stupid people and/or smart people with no willpower that start using drugs every day with no recovery period - the law of dimminishing returns then hits them over the head and they get in big trouble.

Selection bias - millions of people use meth and other "hard" drugs without major problems but you only find out about the ones that are way screwed up because the ones that are OK don't let everyone know.

mattman the gun fan
July 21, 2006, 07:43 PM
thanks everyone again all your support really helps. i hope he gets better and realizes what he did while he is in jail.

lesjones
July 21, 2006, 08:32 PM
Matt, very sorry to hear about your cousin. My sister has been abusing drugs for 15 years. She nearly died earlier this year and was on life support for three weeks. She's now in a nursing home at age 45.

My advice is the tough love approach. Get the family together and form a firm, united front. Have an intervention and let him know that he can be a member of the family, or a drug addict, but not both. If he wants to do drugs, he's no longer welcome in anyone's homes. We tried this, too late, with my sister. Our mother couldn't stand the thought of not helping her little girl every time she needed money or help.

Rehab can help, but do it early. The longer the person stays addicted and the more time rehab fails, the less likely they are to ever quit, and the more damage will be done to their mind and body. Your cousin has to be motivated to change, which is why you need a firm, united front. If he thinks he can get away with being a druggie he won't quit.

Be sure to protect everyone else in the family. You want to help the addict, but you also need to realize that he will prey on their own family. If he won't quit, he can't be let in the house and he can't be trusted. Change the locks and secure the valuables.

U.S.SFC_RET
July 21, 2006, 09:03 PM
It starts with the family unit. Speak often to your children and spend as much time with them as you can. Warn them ect... The breakdown of the family unit is a major contributing factor to abusing drugs even if the drug user knows right from wrong. The government isn't too terribly effective in fighting the "war on drugs" because they go about the wrong way. Single parent households are nowhere near as successful in raising the next generation as the solid family unit. This goes for divorcing parents as well. An adolescent in emotional pain will turn to drugs.

mordechaianiliewicz
July 21, 2006, 09:16 PM
A second cousin of mine, I went to school with got on meth, and suffered for it. (lost about 50 lbs when she was normal weight before, and had sex with 3 men she still doesn't know). She got clean through the help of her parents, her brother, and a couple of extended family members (myself included). I've always believed that no one other than your family and very close friends can truly get you clean if you're addicted to something. The reason why (and it sounds really corny) is that you need love to get you better.

If he is too far gone, he is, then shower the love to those who survive him. But, if there is still hope, it is going to be through a very dificult, and ardous process. His family will have to be strong enough to replace the drugs with their love. Otherwise, he is gonna have to get committed. Padded room, and the whole thing.

cz75bdneos22
July 21, 2006, 10:49 PM
meth to death...

i'll see about giving you a link from work.

www.uth.tmc.edu

click on... don't meth with Texas story to read more...

makarovnik
July 21, 2006, 10:57 PM
I'm sorry to hear that meth is controlling someone close to you. I hope this is not out of order but I will say a prayer for your cousin and your family. Let's all hope that this young man can turn his life around.

Tsonda
July 21, 2006, 11:43 PM
I am sorry to hear of your family troubles. Meth is very bad, and I am someone who thinks it should be legal. It can certainly destroy lives very rapidly, but it is a choice. Having watched people choose it just makes me shake my head. I have at least one cousin on it right now. He and I are not talking right now, my brother is helping him. Anyway I digress, bless you and stay strong.

Regards,

James

gunsmith
July 22, 2006, 03:04 AM
God can work miracles, I was going to drink myself
to death and now I have not touched a drop in ten years.
one day at a time

rangerruck
July 22, 2006, 04:32 AM
you need to remove your brother, from this situation. if I had to , I would get a couple of masked guys and you as well, kidnap him, tie his A** up somewhere for about 2 weeks on a cot in the woods, until he detoxes.
there is a morbid syndrome out there, I don't remember the name, about certain people who want to be handicapped, they go for bodyparts, this is why he hasn't absolutely blown his head off, seems to me.

akodo
July 22, 2006, 08:53 AM
this is a case where you can do both society and the person in question a favor by getting them arrested.

It's a lot harder to commit suicide in jail, and while you can still get drugs, it is a fair amount more difficult, and the quantities are smaller, plus there is a slim chance the guy would get a wakeup call in there and then take advantage of the drug programs most offer.

John Rogers
July 22, 2006, 02:42 PM
Harm reduction is the key to using any drug responsibly - for example meth can and is used without undue harm as long as the user does a few things such as:

This is not harm reduction. In the long run the behavior recommended by Linux&Gun Guy will actually maximize the likelihood of harm. The risks of continued "safe" use include harm from the direct effects of the drug, the likelihood of eventual arrest, the possibility of losing control in a time of stress, and the risks of associating with purchasing the drug.

There is a lesson here for gun owners about risk assessment. It is so easy to fool yourself about a bad habit.

(Please don't assume that I'm equating guns to methamphetamine use, as that is not the case. I'm talking about risk perception and trying to make a necessary response as relevant as possible)

Mannlicher
July 22, 2006, 05:36 PM
just write him off. He is not your problem.

Taffnevy
July 23, 2006, 01:19 AM
My sister did a lot of meth in her early twentys. She is now 34 and not right at all, lot's of mental issues. She has not taken meth in at least 8 years, but her mind has been altered, and she will never be the same again.

Meth destroys your mind, forever.

If you enjoyed reading about "extremely worried about my cousin" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!