A perspective....

PDA

armoredman
August 20, 2005, 09:41 PM
In veiwing the movie "Last Samurai", a powerful and wonderful epic, one thing stuck me. The scene where the rebellions' leaders' son, in Tokyo under a safe conduct from the Emperor, is surrounded by a Police squad, bent on shaming him by "enforcing" thier ban on the traditional samuria top know haircut. The samurai, outnumbered, and certainly outgunned, is restrained from certain suicide by the hero, Tom Cruise, and then forcibly disarmed, shamed, and brutally assaulted by these same police, armed and trained by a foriegn government, (US), and then left to thier mocking laughter, afterward comforted, and eventually led to his final revenge by that same Cruise. While I do not normally watch movies with this type of eye, this was an obvious stab at what happens to a disarmed and subjugated people, regardless of thier history and traditions, especially when enforced by a foreign government within thier own borders.

Take what lessons from this you will...I certainly do.

If you enjoyed reading about "A perspective...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MartinS
August 20, 2005, 09:55 PM
Yes. My kid and I talked about the cutting of the topknot while we watched the film. It was a good metaphor.

t driver
August 21, 2005, 03:29 PM
Hmm, This just moved this movie to my must see list. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "A perspective...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!