Ok, it IS TX, but this is still ridiculous--Gun Shop Humor.

PDA

JohnKSa
August 20, 2005, 09:58 PM
I dropped By a local gun Store (which shall sort of remain nameless :D ) on the way home from an oil change today.

As I walked in the door, past the "Bargain Table", some clipped ammo (obviously reloads) caught my eye. I couldn't decide between a grimace and a chuckle when I read the label on the baggies.

"for M1 Grande"

If you enjoyed reading about "Ok, it IS TX, but this is still ridiculous--Gun Shop Humor." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
larry starling
August 20, 2005, 10:12 PM
OMG, Thats funny! :D

Dionysusigma
August 20, 2005, 10:27 PM
One of my biggest pet peeves is entire online gaming communities that call it the M1 "Garland." :rolleyes: :banghead:

That, and a guy at Brigadoon MilSurp apparently calls P-38s "Walters." Last I checked, there was an H in there somewhere. :scrutiny: He's a good guy, though. Never felt like correcting him. :)

Zundfolge
August 20, 2005, 10:27 PM
"for M1 Grande"

I like my M1 Grande with extra cheese please :neener:

Godfather
August 20, 2005, 10:31 PM
Was watchin' Mythbusters the other day, and they called the M1 Garand an M1 Carbine. Then they refered to an earlier episode where they'd fired an (I think) 1903 Springfield, and called it "the M1" in the recap. They'd labeled it appropriately on the episde in question, though. Don't know why they changed their minds.

And I was talking to a guy in Chem last year, talking about loking for a new gun. He goes "you should get that sniper thing there... what's it called?"

".30-06?" I asked.

"Yeah, that!" he said.

Throughout the rest of the conversation, I found out that .30-06 and 9mm were the only calibers he'd ever heard of before. Not really funny, but kinda.

Godfather
August 20, 2005, 10:35 PM
One of my biggest pet peeves is entire online gaming communities that call it the M1 "Garland."

Well, they have both at military funerals...

HighVelocity
August 20, 2005, 10:40 PM
I was looking through the mag bin at my local shop and found one with a hand written sticker that said Sig Sower.

JohnKSa
August 20, 2005, 11:31 PM
M1 "Garland"I can't decide if that would have been worse--the shop was actually in Garland... (ok, I've definitely given enough hints)

newfalguy101
August 20, 2005, 11:34 PM
"for M1 Grande"

perhaps thats the hispanic spellin :D

GregGry
August 20, 2005, 11:59 PM
Good rounds to go with my taco and nachoes :D

Dallas Jack
August 21, 2005, 12:53 AM
JohnKSa, I live about a half mile from that shop. They're good people. Think I'll go by and ask to see one of their M1 Grande. :)

Camjr
August 21, 2005, 12:57 AM
The MI Grande must be chambered in 416 Rigby.........

chris in va
August 21, 2005, 03:44 AM
perhaps thats the hispanic spellin

Yup, you nailed it. Get used to it. Watch for the store El Pistola Grande to open soon.

Buck Snort
August 21, 2005, 03:56 AM
As for the "Walther" vs "Walter" thing..................if memory serves me correctly there is no "th" sound in the German language (i.e., Neanderthal is pronounced Neandertal) so, to be just picky as all git out, the clerk was technically correct in as much as it was a German gun.

MachIVshooter
August 21, 2005, 04:44 AM
I was looking through the mag bin at my local shop and found one with a hand written sticker that said Sig Sower.

Everyone misspells from time to time, but some folks are downright habitual.

Our new front counter guy claims to have gone to school, but if that is the case, then why did a ticket come back today that said "1999 Mersadies ML320"? And the complaint was even better; "check breaks, sqeeky".

I wonder how some people get through life..........

MPFreeman
August 21, 2005, 09:07 AM
M1 Grande? Everything is bigger in Tejas! :D Maybe the M1 Grande shoots a .338 or so?

I think the gun shoppe is going native on you, John. :neener:

jacobtowne
August 21, 2005, 10:15 AM
Isn't Grande a river down there?
I carry a SIG Sour P-232.
JT

GT
August 21, 2005, 10:48 AM
Yes indeed Buck...

the German pronunciantion of Walther is Val-tare
and PPK is Pay Pay Kah

Now you can see why they lost the war :)

G

GunnySkox
August 21, 2005, 11:17 AM
German Guest: Can we help you?
Basil Fawlty: Oh, you speak English.
German Guest: Of course.
Basil Fawlty: Ah, wonderful! Vonderbar! Ahh! Please allow me to introduce myself, I am the owner of Fawlty Towers. And may I welcome your war... your war... you all... and hope that your stay will be a happy one. Now, would you like to eat first, or would you like a drink before the war... AHH! Er... trespassers will be tied up with piano wire... SORRY, SORRY!
Basil Fawlty: Is something wrong?
German Guest: Will you please stop talking about the war?
Basil Fawlty: Me? You started it.
German Guest: We did not!
Basil Fawlty: Yes you did, you invaded Poland.

:D
~Slam_Fire

p35
August 21, 2005, 01:13 PM
What's worse is the "guns for sale" classifieds in the local paper- obviously taken over the phone by someone who doesn't know or care anything about gun terminology.

fisherman66
August 21, 2005, 01:23 PM
I've Been to that Store. The seem to specialize in semi-pistolas. I'm not surprised by the Tex-Mex butchering of their ammolla.

Brian D.
August 21, 2005, 01:39 PM
"Smith & Western" and "Ivory Johnson" guns sometimes end up in the local Tradin' Post paper. Dunno if the folks handling calls at the paper are to blame, or the sellers themselves mail in such ad copy.

RM
August 21, 2005, 10:12 PM
Wasn't Mr. Garand's name actually pronounced "garend", with the accent on the first sylable?

Black Majik
August 21, 2005, 10:16 PM
Oh cry me a river! :neener:

KC&97TA
August 21, 2005, 10:38 PM
It was the joke of the week at Engineer Chiefs course when I purchased my AR15 recievers in MO... you couldn't have smoked a cig in the time it took me to get cleared on the back ground check and processed the Visa card, took longer to wait on the cab to pick me up from the gun shop... so much for California's ban on the black guns, checking the baggage was a bit of an issue, but 2 months later I'm 100% legal with the CA assult weapons permit.

res1b3uq
August 22, 2005, 03:38 AM
Everything in Texas is Grande------Y'all.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ok, it IS TX, but this is still ridiculous--Gun Shop Humor." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!