Has anyone tried the Holbrook Device for Garand?

PDA

Devonai
March 25, 2003, 01:33 AM
As advertised in Shotgun News. I like the prospect of what it does, and I'm wondering if anyone has any feedback about it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Has anyone tried the Holbrook Device for Garand?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Badger Arms
March 25, 2003, 01:56 AM
What is the Holbrook device?

Badger Arms
March 25, 2003, 01:57 AM
Is it this?

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=189617

762x51
March 25, 2003, 01:01 PM
What does it do? :confused:

Steve Smith
March 25, 2003, 01:03 PM
It would be great if "eclancy" would share a bit of his Garand knowledge here.

Devonai
March 25, 2003, 01:48 PM
The Holbrook Device changes the dynamic of the Garand's clip loading system. First of all, it removes the auto-eject feature. You must depress the release lever on the left side of the receiver to eject the clip. Second, it removes the automatic bolt closure. You must pull the op-rod handle back and release, just like the M-14. Because of this, you can latch an empty clip into the receiver and load rounds in one by one.

My primary impetus for using this device is the eccentricities of my Garand. The bolt rarely closes automatically on a fresh clip, even after I replaced the op spring, bullet guide, and operating rod catch. Instead, the bolt often jams against the cartridges and requires both hands to simultaneously press down on the clip and retract the bolt to the rear. Because of this, I never rely on the automatic bolt release, instead "riding" the op-rod handle forward with the heel of my palm.

If it functions the way it's advertised, it would do this for me. If not, or it didn't work right in my particular rifle, I'd return it.

So who's actually purchased this device? Badger, that picture must be it, since it's a replacement for the operating rod catch.

Soap
March 25, 2003, 02:18 PM
I've only read about one. The author, "Boston T. Party" has a Holbrook on one of his Garands. IIRC, he writes that it is a good piece of gear and that it works just as advertised.

Sven
March 25, 2003, 02:22 PM
I'm interested to hear about how this product works.

762x51
March 25, 2003, 02:51 PM
Interesting. Next question....where and how much? Not sure if I'd be willing to give up the Ping though.....thats half the fun. :cool:

hps1
March 25, 2003, 04:02 PM
The bolt rarely closes automatically on a fresh clip, even after I replaced the op spring, bullet guide, and operating rod catch. Instead, the bolt often jams against the cartridges and requires both hands to simultaneously press down on the clip and retract the bolt to the rear. Because of this, I never rely on the automatic bolt release, instead "riding" the op-rod handle forward with the heel of my palm.

Most M1's do not close bolt automatically on a fully loaded clip.
This is normal. After latching clip in place with right thumb while holding bolt back with the side of right hand (to keep bolt from slamming shut on thumb), move the right hand sharply up and forward (just in case the bolt does slam home). It is usually necessary to bump the op rod to start it forward.

If I understand the problem:

Instead, the bolt often jams against the cartridges and requires both hands to simultaneously press down on the clip and retract the bolt to the rear.

Instead of pushing clip down and retracting bolt, try bumping op rod handle w/heel of right hand and that should be all that is needed to chamber a round.

Regards,
hps

Blackcloud6
March 25, 2003, 07:44 PM
What? No automatic "piiiing" when you fired the last round? That's just not right!:eek:

eclancy
March 26, 2003, 12:27 PM
Hi all,
Sorry guys I don't have any Ordnance files on this subject. If I can't back it up with Ordnance data I don't like to post.
Hope you guys understand
Thanks again
Clancy

Badger Arms
March 29, 2003, 01:35 AM
Just got a better picture of the one I got. It seems that I might have bought it from the guy with the ad in Shotgun news himself. I bought it at a Puyallup gun show a few years back. All you do is remove the accelerator and accelerator pin, drill a hole for the spring, and cut off the arm. Really simple except this is a hardened part so drilling is not that easy.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=197400

Badger Arms
March 29, 2003, 01:36 AM
Forgot to add the picture link. Here:

If you enjoyed reading about "Has anyone tried the Holbrook Device for Garand?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!