Toy Guns of the 1950's - 1960's

PDA

Rembrandt
August 21, 2005, 01:11 PM
Growing up I had only two interests....toy guns and electric trains. These ads from the 1960's brought back some old memories. Anyone remember getting one of these sets?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/ToyGuns1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/ToyGuns2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/ToyGuns3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/ToyGuns4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/ToyGuns5.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Toy Guns of the 1950's - 1960's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rembrandt
August 21, 2005, 01:12 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/ToyGuns7.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/ToyGuns6.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/ToyGuns8.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/ToyGuns9.jpg

dk-corriveau
August 21, 2005, 01:18 PM
Man...I wish I had a complete set. :D While certainly not the same as blowing through a few boxes of .45 ACP, they still look like a heck of a lot of fun. I feel sad that my son (13 months) may never have sweet toys like these to play with. :(

larry starling
August 21, 2005, 01:49 PM
Saw one of those M-14 looking toy rifles at a local military collectable store, And it had a $500 price tag on it..... :what:

Len
August 21, 2005, 01:50 PM
*I sit back wistfully, look out the window and drink coffee...and remember*

Remember the Mattel toys? They had a lever action "Winchester" that did a lot of "Rembrandt's-posted-picture" stuff. Fired caps, and had little spring-loaded plastic bullets [that actually penetrated paper targets...as long as you fired at them from about a foot!].

Also had the "Tommy Gun." Had a ratcheting mechanism, pull it back and it simulated auto.

And, the .38 snub revolver. Metal, heavy, and about as lifelike as it could be...that Mattel revolver looked [I]too real!

geekWithA.45
August 21, 2005, 01:52 PM
I have a friend who confided in me that as a child, he lusted after the Johny Seven One Man Army, and his father, an urban, liberal professor of sociology, refused to allow him to buy it with his own saved money, citing all the usual liberal poopola.

The end result is that he is now a gentle victim-in-waiting, completely out of touch with his inner warrior, who voted for John Kerry.

{Yeah, I have friends who voted for Kerry. They all know _precisely_ what I think about that}

pbhome71
August 21, 2005, 01:58 PM
Len,

I had the same Tommy gun, or at least one close to it. One in O.D., and my brother had one in brown. :)

I also had a M3 Grease gun, with retractable wire stock. :)

Those things were way too cool....

-Pat

Chawbaccer
August 21, 2005, 02:03 PM
Remember the Mattel toys? They had a lever action "Winchester" that did a lot of "Rembrandt's-posted-picture" stuff. Fired caps, and had little spring-loaded plastic bullets [that actually penetrated paper targets...as long as you fired at them from about a foot!].

I had one of those, used a sticky cap on the back of the cartridge. My brother and I fought over it and broke it in half. I also had a Luger, a set of Roy Rogers pistols, a Chuck Connors rifle, an M16, probably around 62-63. a Davy Crockett pistol. lots more and they all used caps in one way or another. Anybody else take a whole roll of caps and hit it with a hammer?

mainmech48
August 21, 2005, 02:15 PM
I remember the Mattel "Fanner 50" and Winchester '92 very fondly. They came in both roll-cap and "Shoot'n Shell" versions, IIRC.

Also had one of the Browning 1919 MGs with the wire tripod and crank action. Scrounged a lot of pop bottles alongside Hwy. 67 to buy caps for that one.

My fondest memories are of the Hubley cap pistols though. They were extremely detailed and authentic, beautifully made, and expensive enough to make them a rara avis for most of the kids in my neighborhood.

How I wish that I'd been able to hang onto that little "Tales of Wells Fargo" revolver or the 1860 Colt that I mowed about a zillion lawns (with a reel-type push mower!) to buy.

(heavy sigh!)

chris in va
August 21, 2005, 02:21 PM
Oh sure, you guys had all the cool stuff. Now kids get to plant themselves in front of the computer and insult strangers in chat rooms instead of playing war games.

See a kid with one of those today and the whole PD blocks off the neighborhood. :rolleyes:

Rembrandt
August 21, 2005, 02:55 PM
A few more memories....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/deputy50.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/FannerBoxedPistolBulletLoading.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/fannerbx.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/sstwfn50.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/winchstr.gif

Standing Wolf
August 21, 2005, 03:30 PM
The end result is that he is now a gentle victim-in-waiting, completely out of touch with his inner warrior, who voted for John Kerry.

The perfect statist serf.

scubie02
August 21, 2005, 04:07 PM
ah, back in the good ol days, when even kids were deemed smart enough to play with guns...and it wasn't seen as something sinister...

geekWithA.45
August 21, 2005, 04:40 PM
Quote:

The perfect statist serf.

Actually, he's determined that I'm the man most likely to be the regional warlord should should it be TEOTWAWKI, and has pledged himself to my service as my vassal should that occur.

While Odin and I laughed at him, I decided he might have a place in my cabinet as "speaker-to-liberals". {For you Niven fans out there}

In all actuality, having no thirst for conquest, I'm not the warlord type at all.

I'm simply one of the guys not particularly likely to be mowed over by the first evil to come along.

Mk VII
August 21, 2005, 04:51 PM
I remeber the Johnny Seven, my brother had one.
Does anyone remember the M1903A1, which could load and eject one shell, and was quite accurately reproduced, even the sight (a one-piece casting) ? For some reason the bolt handle was swept back, Win. Mod 70-style

Rob1035
August 21, 2005, 05:14 PM
this bring back memories (for us younger types) of the Saturday Night Live skit with "Johnny Commando"...."Its a real M1..." "Isn't it dangerous to give kids real guns" "Well the bullets are sold seperately..." :p (something along those lines)

Sheldon J
August 21, 2005, 05:28 PM
Actually I still have my & OMA 7, and the MP 09 in the box, it's stowed with the rest of my "antique" toys of my youth. (Lionel train, DC3, Roy Rojers bunk house etc)

sfhogman
August 21, 2005, 05:38 PM
I had a Hubley cast metal, chrome (or something like it) 1911, full size, I think. Racking the "slide" would allow the little spring-loaded cap spool to pop up thru the "ejection port". Load it with caps, push down, and push the slide back forward. You were now good to go. Felt big and absolutely great in my kid sized hand.

My current version is a Springfield Loaded. But it was the Hubley that created the itch.

Best,
Jeff

Len
August 21, 2005, 05:42 PM
LOL...

"...hitting a whole roll of caps with a hammer..." :what: Yep, my ears rang for hours after doing just that. :D

Remember "Greenie Stickems?" Or the whole series of "Man from U.N.C.L.E." spy guns?

I firmly believe the reason all these old toys are so vaulable now is because most of us wore them down to dust playing with them back then. There just can't be many around in good shape. And that's a good thing!!!!

tusk212
August 21, 2005, 07:03 PM
I can remember my brother and i playing with the lieutenant that belonged to my dad and uncle. I wasnt born till '83 so that toy survived some years. by the time we got it, the mags were missing along with the 1911. Great toy though.

Texian Pistolero
August 21, 2005, 07:10 PM
I remember the "Fanner 50" , which had better build quality than any current Keltec,

plus a neat plastic replica of the Sharps carbine.

PCGS65
August 21, 2005, 07:26 PM
These toy guns bring back some great memories. Today though it's hard to find cheap unrealistic looking toy guns. My son is 12 now and we had a lot of fun with some hard to find toy guns. See my posting from 0430hrs this morning. It's a shame but if kids had these nice toy guns today(by the way they should be allowed to)they would probably be in jail or the hospital from being shot by the police because of the paranoid public. Great pics where did you get them? THANKS!

Majic
August 21, 2005, 07:42 PM
I had the Johnny Seven OMA. IIRC the pistol grip was a pistol that detached.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
August 21, 2005, 08:29 PM
Wow...deja` vu all over again.

Between myself and the kids I hung out with I think we had almost every one of those. I made a cool thigh holster for my Fanner 50 when we had Western Day in junior high (ca. 1973 -my how things change. Kids with toy guns and politically-incorrect cowboy and indian garb at school).

I probably have some stashed in the garage storage over at my mother's house. Next time I got in there I'll scrounge around and see what I come up with....and I'll take pictures.

Regards,
Rabbit.

pete f
August 21, 2005, 08:40 PM
I had one of the M14 sets and one of the "Magumba" pistols both would shoot a hard plastic bullet across the room. Also had a metal thompson that had a pull handle on top that would set a spring and when you pulled the trigger would rattle like it was firing. had a bucket full of colt SAA's cap pistols.

Texian Pistolero
August 21, 2005, 08:56 PM
Also, remember the

"potato gun"?

Actually, this cast metal POS would work with any tuber,

I mainly used potatos and carrott ammo to torture,

Gretchen,

(a female near seat mate)

in the first grade,

Now I wish I had taken a more skilled approach to Gretchen.

If so,

I know that I would be much happier now.

Seven High
August 21, 2005, 09:04 PM
I wish some manufacture would bring some of these models back. I would buy several just for fun. :)

Otony
August 21, 2005, 09:12 PM
Ah, the Johnny Seven One Man Army. I was the most envied kid in the neighborhood.

Thanks a lot! Brought back many great memories.

Hook686
August 22, 2005, 01:50 AM
Today, 10:11 AM #1
Rembrandt

wrote:

Growing up I had only two interests....toy guns and electric trains. These ads from the 1960's brought back some old memories. Anyone remember getting one of these sets?

Maybe those antigun moms are right .... you had all those gun toys and turned out to be a gun nut. Geesh I would think folks here would publish that they were raised without male influence, gun toys and as a result of that lack are now full fledged gun nuts. hmmmm might foster the promotion of firearm usage in public schools again ... and new neat gun toys for me to buy my grandson. :D

Hook686

38Mike
August 22, 2005, 04:56 AM
Wow.....we used to run around the neighborhood playing "Combat". I was always "Little John" :D . Can't remember the brand of the guns we had; seems like one of my friends had a big old machine gun that'd fire plastic bullets....toughest "mission" of all, trying to take out MG nest... :D .......memories of the good old days

foghornl
August 22, 2005, 08:35 AM
I had the Mattel "shootin' shell" Winchester, brother had the "Rolling Block Sharps", oldest brother had the "Fanner 50".

Friend had the Johnny 7 OMA, and another kid had the Secret Sam setup.

Oh yeah, those "Greenie Stik-ums" were not cheap, compared to the red paper roll caps.

"...hitting a whole roll of caps with a hammer..." Oh, yeah, I made that same mistake, too....ONCE!

"What? What? Speak up, boy, you're mumblin' again. . . "

RavenVT100
August 22, 2005, 09:16 AM
I have a friend who confided in me that as a child, he lusted after the Johny Seven One Man Army, and his father, an urban, liberal professor of sociology, refused to allow him to buy it with his own saved money, citing all the usual liberal poopola.

My father was also an extremely left-wing, liberal college professor, who admonished any "gun use" or guns in general, but did allow us to have air rifles and bb pistols. Apparently he was on the rifle team when he was in college and was wise to the fact that there's a difference.

But as far as real guns were concerned, it was basically "Son, if you ever buy a gun, I'll kill you."

My father has since passed away, and my gun collection keeps growing.

Frandy
August 22, 2005, 09:42 AM
I'm 57 and this thread is bringin' tears to my weary, old eyes. Why, if I could have back all those toy handguns and long guns (oh, my M-1 carbine-like plastic whatever made me combat warrior extraordinaire!), why...why...I'd get rid of all my current firearms! :p

Well, not really, but the memories are flooding back. Oh, and smashing rolls of caps on the sidewalks of NYC with a hammer or rock - WMD!!!!!! :evil:

CAS700850
August 22, 2005, 10:38 AM
I recall summer days spent playing either war or police (depending on the mood of the day), with tennis ball (baseball using an old tennis ball, broke fewer windows) breaking up the monotony. Great times. I had a great armory. I recall a black lever action "Lone Ranger" rifle that took roll caps, and had a little switch on the lever that tripped the trigger and let you fire Rifleman style. Squirt guns that rarely saw water. When some of us got a little older, and got into model building, we'd customize our guns, using model paint. I once gave a Larami Falcon (remember Larami, used long strips of plastic caps that fed in a magazine, almost like a real auto?), a total brushed nickle finish using a mix of silver and flat black Testor's enamel. Then came the Star Wars blasters, which were still cool. I even remember taking toy guns to school for playing at recess. Imagine that...

You know, collecting toy guns isn't a bad idea...in addition to the real thing.

max popenker
August 22, 2005, 10:41 AM
Can you imagine how the things were on the other side of the Iron Curtain?

In the late 1970s i had a nice, battery-powered Mauser C96 Schnellfeuer which fired bursts as long as batteries were fresh. An i had a heavy, cast metal Nagant pistol with very realistic (i mean - heavy :)) trigger pull, that fired caps; Also, i had all sort of plastic rifles, including scaled-down copy of AK with detachable bayonet, and, best of all, the ~1/2 scale Maxim M1910 machine gun copy, made of green and red plastic. The thing had a mechanism that rattled when you swung the barrel from side to side. Hell, i wish all these toys survived through the years, so my 5-years som coult try something real instead of those China-made space-guns...
But probably the best toys that actually made me into the REAL guns, were those crudely-made wooden ones, made for me by my father...

He always was sort of a pro-gun, but my mother said "no guns at home as there's two boys in there" (me and my younger bro). So, he never owned a gun, but back in his youth he was a sport shooter, and recently we had a great time shooting MY gun (a 12ga semiauto).
Thanks God, my wife is less anti than my mother. And, sometimes i think that she could be even better shot that me - once i will be allowed under our stupid law to own a small-bore rifle, as the 12ga is too much for her.

fiVe
August 23, 2005, 11:46 AM
Thanks for posting this, Rembrandt.

I had the Johnny Eagle Magumba with the trophy plaque and the Johnny Seven O.M.A. That was a long time ago. They haven't made toys like those for years.

middy
August 23, 2005, 01:41 PM
Growing up in the 70s and 80s I had a few decent toy guns, but nothing like those. I remember looking through Gramma's old JC Penny's Christmas catalogs from the 1950's and being envious of all the cool toy guns y'all used to play with.

HankB
August 23, 2005, 02:08 PM
I had the Johnny Eagle "Lieutenant" pistol . . . the closest thing to a 1911 I've ever seen in the toy world. You could put greenie stick-on caps on the back of the cartridge, and when you fired it, you'd get a "bang." (Had to cycle the slide manually.)

Also had the "Multi-Pistol 09" and a host of others not listed here. A Dick Tracy Power-Jet Gun (squirtgun that looked like a riot gun . . . and used caps to boot!), an M-14 lookalike that took a couple of batteries in the buttstock so it would make a "pow pow pow" sound as the flash hider cycled in and out . . . a tripod-mounted M2HB lookalike, scaled for a kid . . . a mortar . . . a Mattel tommy gun that took roll caps . . . lots of good times. (And the funny thing is, I never confused toy guns with real ones . . . )

If the toy gun was molded in a bright color, I learned early on that a little diligent work with a magic marker would make it look more "real" . . . probably against some law today.

huaco
August 23, 2005, 02:47 PM
I had one of the Hubley 1911s. I think it just said 'Hubley Automatic' on the toy but it was so realistic and heavy I was sure I could rob a bank with it had I wanted. Probably could have too. I remember lusting after it for weeks and going back to that department store in Waco to fondle it several times before I saved up the bucks to bring it home. All my toy pistols before that had been cowboy revolvers. Some of them were well done but the Hubley was always my favorite.

Dr.Rob
August 23, 2005, 03:59 PM
When we played "Kelly's Heros" I got to be Oddball... since I had a sweet Luger cap gun... one to one scale,and heavy.

Had a wicked cool black dart rifle that looked almost like an M-1 Carbine, pretty nifty.

Tommy guns, sure but only because nobody made a toy BAR.

My brother had a toy M-1 Garand with a scope.

Somplace I have a VP-70 dart gun.

charby
August 23, 2005, 04:14 PM
Anybody else take a whole roll of caps and hit it with a hammer?

Oh hell yeah, I am laughing my butt off right now. I grew up on a moderately quiet street in the 80's next to a country club neighborhood. My brothers and me would take a roll of caps put it on a brick in the backyard and a wait in ambush with a heavy hammer.

one of my brothers would look through the fence and wait for someone to walk down the sidewalk and about the time they passed, one of us would let the hammer drop and watch the person about poop their pants from the noise. It was great!!

Charby

Legionnaire
August 23, 2005, 04:17 PM
Cool! I used to have one of the Multi-Pistol 09s, and had that neat little derringer cap gun that rode in the grip of the bigger pistol for years after its host broke. That and green stick'em caps. I guess that was my first concealed carry piece!

landon74
August 23, 2005, 04:24 PM
I guess I'm a little too young for those, but they look really cool. When I turned seven, my Granddad gave me a set of cowboy boots, and a set of cap firing peacemakers with a holster set. Me and my cousin figured out in pretty short order as cool as those caps were going off one at a time, if you put the whole roll on a rock and hit it with another rock it made a really big boom! Ahh good times, good times....

ZeroX
August 23, 2005, 04:25 PM
I was born in 86 so I didn't have all that great stuff but I did this one lever-action shotgun. It didn't load caps or anything but when you pulled that trigger, you got quite a kick. And there was a handgun that had batteries in the mag well that would cycle the slide when you pulled the trigger. Good times.

cane
August 23, 2005, 04:49 PM
I had a really neat Matel "grease gun" I swear the wire stock, and receiver/barrel were made with real M-3 stampings. The magazine was red plastic with a trap door on the bottom to hold extra rolls of caps. You could put a roll of caps in it, wind up the handle on the side, and cut loose on full auto. Wish I still had it.

Rembrandt
August 23, 2005, 07:01 PM
Dr Rob, did your Luger look like this one?....picked it up at a gun show for $20.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/Luger2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/Luger3.jpg

Dr.Rob
August 23, 2005, 07:59 PM
Very much like this one... the grips were reddish brown plastic and the body was cast metal that had black paint baked on it.It was one of the most realistic toy guns I ever owned.

Rembrandt
August 23, 2005, 08:05 PM
I think that's the same one....only mines had all the paint removed. Same manufacturer, "Lone Star".

Crom
August 23, 2005, 08:12 PM
Some of my personal favorites, the best of which was the Defender Dan Machine Gun and the Johnny Reb Cannon.

MudPuppy
August 23, 2005, 08:39 PM
The cool gun toys have not faded away entirely--I got a batter powered SMG for my son. It has "recoil" and jumps all over the place like its going full auto. Hilarious to see the little guy hang onto it. Its a green plastic thing made like a French gun.

Oh, and you know why kid's toy guns should be modeled on French guns, right? :D

Kaylee
August 23, 2005, 08:58 PM
On the other hand.. I had a friend back Boise way who gave his son all kinds of fancy dancy solider toys.. to include a full-out airsoft copy of Daddy's real M4.

I'd say at least as much has been gained as lost -- it's just not on the locall toystore shelves anymore. :)

Topgun
August 24, 2005, 07:45 PM
Here's a pair of full autos.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/8674/mguns6ii.jpg

The bottom one is from the Steve McQueen estate auction of his toy collection.

The top one is VERY scarce. Took me years to find one although I had one as a kid. Carried it EVERYWHERE. Played "war" with it. This example is complete and operational. Most have long since been destroyed or lost.

Topgun
August 24, 2005, 07:48 PM
Rembrandt, 20 bucks was a STEAL. AT LEAST $150 in today's market if it is not cracked.

:)

thebigc
August 24, 2005, 07:53 PM
back in when i was about 5 in 1996 or so i got a m1 garand replica that was comepltely awesome it had a wood stock and i used to like to hit things with the buttstock and run around the neighborhood with it till i broke it on a tree hunting ''red coats'' at the lexington battle grounds.

Topgun
August 24, 2005, 08:00 PM
I think this one's my favorite. Also a gun show purchase for $50.
Real steals at shows.

http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/2687/targeteer7tg.jpg

It's the "full house" Daisy "Targeteer." Has the original spinner target and two tubes of original BB's. It will shoot #5 lead shot which is the closest appx. to the originals.

:)

Stevie-Ray
August 24, 2005, 08:16 PM
My buddy had the Johnny Eagle Red River. It had a ricochet sound every time you pulled the trigger. I had a machine gun that had the full-auto rat-a-tat after pulling back the bolt. I also used to bust full roll caps with a hammer. Always had a buddy hold his hands over my ears. The kid honestly never learned. :rolleyes:

Then I got a Sonic Blaster. :uhoh: Simply the most awesome toy I've ever had. Hopefully this link works; it's the one that told parents NOT to buy it. I had an absolute BLAST with this. Fourth of July and New Year's Eve were never the same again. :D A cool trick was to put a kitchen match in your mouth to wet it, (then spit, of course) light the match, which never flared but smoked like hell, hold the SB over it so the smoke would float up inside it. Pull the trigger and the resultant ball of smoke that whooshed out the barrel was a sight to behold.

http://www.consumerreports.org/main/detailv2.jsp?CONTENT%3C%3Ecnt_id=2543&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2311

gm
August 24, 2005, 08:36 PM
I had a nice peacemaker that was at a garage sale that was given to me free, it looked and loaded like an original.it had 6 cartridges that looked like real brass(no primer,just flat),a cap was inserted in them and a fake bullet that had a hole drilled through it set in the cartridge.bet it would be worth some bucks today.

also had a bb gun that looked exactly like a winchester levergun,right down tothe brass ring,loaded through the same spot that the real one did and had a spring/tube under the barrel where you could see how many bbs were left.stock broke and threw it out, in hindsight wish Ida kept it.

Harry Tuttle
August 25, 2005, 12:37 AM
http://www.toyadz.com/toyadz/mattel/m16marauder.jpg
http://www.timewarptoys.com/marauder1.jpg

Carl N. Brown
October 12, 2005, 02:38 PM
I remember having one of those Mattel Thunderburps!
I pretended I was Peter Graves saving Peggy Castle
from the mutant grasshoppers in Begining of the End.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=29868&stc=1
One thing I did not like: the Thunderburp had a
1911 style grip instead of the Thompson grip
and if I remember correctly, mine had a wire
stock like an M3 grease gun.
ByTheWay Beginning of the End has lotsa M1928
Thompson action including Graves and several
soldiers clearing jams on camera (guess those
movie blanks weren't too reliable).
Yeah, my boyhood was toy guns and B-movies.

Unisaw
October 12, 2005, 03:07 PM
I had one of the Secret Sam models. It was one of my favority toys and I have wracked my brain trying to remember what it was called. Thanks. :D

Master Blaster
October 12, 2005, 03:23 PM
My fondest memories are of the Hubley cap pistols though. They were extremely detailed and authentic, beautifully made, and expensive enough to make them a rara avis for most of the kids in my neighborhood.

I still have one that I played with as a kid, mine is a nickle plated model, small semi auto that looks like a colt .25 acp, that the left side of the grip opens up on so you can insert a roll of caps. Hubley Mfg. Lancaster Pa.

It was actually made in Lancaster Pa. in the USA imagine that. It sits in a place of honor in my china cabinet.

Zundfolge
October 12, 2005, 03:23 PM
I had several cool toy guns made from PVC pipe ... we was po but we still had the toy guns :)

Also had a real cool toy 1911 (looked like a Colt Mustang) it was a factory second so the chome job had filled in all the cowboy looking ingraving ... I thought that was the coolest gun.

Oh and I remember this plastic Tommygun ... it was light blue and about 1/3rd scale.

EDIT

OOH ... forgot about my Star Trek pistol that shot the little disks!
http://nathanpublishing.com/startrek/images/small/misc_phaser_pistol.jpg

frenchwrench
October 12, 2005, 04:57 PM
I miss my Defender Dan!!!! Played Combat in the woods all weekend every weekend. Defender Dan got blown out of the tree I was in durring a pretty good death scene. Man I miss that toy.And those times. ;)

procomps
October 12, 2005, 06:00 PM
When I was in the second grade, I got a matching western carbine and revolver that shot the Mattel Shootin' Shells for Christmas. Back at school after the holiday break, I wrote an "essay" telling "What I got for Christmas, and why I like it". My teacher went into conniptions when she saw that I got GUNS at my tender age, and sent a note home bawling my parents out for such corruption! The next day, my mother took the note back and basically told my teacher to put it where the sun don't shine!

I've liked, almost loved, guns ever since.

WarMachine
October 12, 2005, 08:04 PM
I guess those were the days. Today's kids are blasting away madly on one of these things.

http://members.cox.net/jediclone/400_135.jpg

There's just something wrong with kids going around pumping and squirting one-another :uhoh:

:D

PAC 762
October 12, 2005, 09:53 PM
I'm only 27, but I had a few cool toys. I had an entertech water gun that looked like an RPG-7. I also had a 1:1 copy of an MP5SD. It had a removeable magazine, retractable stock, and working safety. You could load caps in the mag and it would eject the spent caps like spent brass. I wish I could find those.

ETA- I found a pic of the RPG: http://www.virtualtoychest.com/entertechsquirtguns/entertechbazookac.jpg

gopguy
October 13, 2005, 11:19 AM
This has been a fun walk down memory lane. I had the Marx Tommy gun and Mattel M-16 in that weird blue color in the late 60's early 70's. Had a real neat die cast Luger cap gun but I will be darned if I can remember who made it. Also on a trip to the civil war battlefield at Gettysburg I well remember getting a replica musket and single shot pistol. Those fired little cork balls. I had a plastic M1 Garand handed down from a cousin that had a working bolt. The ammo it fired long gone. What I do remember lusting was my neighbors James Bond brief case with all the spy accesories. I remember a toy Luger with extending stock and scope. Another neighbor kid had the Napoleon Solo Man from Uncle P38 with same style rig...I had lots of toy guns but nothing as neat as those....I hate to think of how rough we played with that stuff and what it is worth today. Sadly when I went off to college my folks tossed 8 hefty bags of my stuff from my room including all the old toy guns in my closet..I can imagine them all getting crunched in the garbage truck compactor...sigh :cuss: :banghead:

Carl N. Brown
October 13, 2005, 11:53 AM
If your folks sold those toy guns on eBay today
they could recoup a years tuition!

Zundfolge
October 13, 2005, 12:40 PM
I hate to say it....
If your folks sold those toy guns on eBay today
they could recoup a years tuition!
Tuition? Talk about wasting your money. :p

If you sold these guns on eBay today you could buy more real guns!

armedcitizen
October 13, 2005, 03:01 PM
Up until just a couple of years ago when the barrel finally broke off of it.

It was very realistic for a toy. The bulletts were spring loaded, consisting of a copper colored shell and a gray bullett. You loaded them one at a time into the breach and when you pulled the trigger the spring released, sending the bullett out of the barrel and a pretty good clip. Pulling the bolt back ejected the "empty". Scope was adjustable and removable. Box came with wildlife targets on the back that could be set up a spinning targets. I spent many hours shooting that in our hallway.

Good memories.

History Nut
October 13, 2005, 10:37 PM
Wow! What a memory lane trip! I remember so many of the toy guns mentioned already. A while back, I was going through some old boxes and found several of the "shootin' shells" and bullets! I was often frustrated when my brother and I would have wars in the house and I could watch the bullet from the "shootin' shell" depart the barrel at quite an angle from my aiming point.

Our parents had already taught us safety with real guns and the only modification with toy guns was that we never aimed for the head/face.

I remember the Mattel derringer that came on a belt buckle and had a mechanism to pop it out and fire it when you wanted to ambush the unwary. That derringer also used the "shootin' shells".

The Mattel copy of the .38 snub-nose was banned in New York and Boston shortly after it came out. I know because my Mom worked at Mattel for many years. We got discounts on factory seconds and also got 'test toys' fairly often. I remember we got the "Sonic Blaster" as a test toy. I remember telling Mom about the ringing in my ears when I fired it from the shoulder and her noting in the test papers she had to turn in for each 'test toy'. Of course years later and way too late, we realized that if we had just kept some of those test toys in their packages and stored them, we could have made a killing these days. Things like test runs of Barbie packages that were never produced in quantity would probably bring real money these days.

What we did do was play with the guns until they broke too badly to fix and then they went in the trash. Now I have lots of real guns to 'play' with and fondly the innocent days of my youth. They are the "good old days" only because we tend to forget the "bad old days".

Again thanks for the memories!

MountainPeak
October 13, 2005, 11:23 PM
I was born in 51, and remember very well getting a "richochet " lever action. Mine didn't eject shells. I think it just made the noise. It was probably a knockoff of the the REAL deal. I must of liked it. I remember playing with it to this day. My guess is I was about 8. My ex-wife says the best picture I ever took was at age 3 or 4. It was Christmas and I'm in front of our family tree. I have a cowboy hat on, double six shooting cap guns, one out, and pointing. The other hanging, in my fancy double holster, past my knees. I obviously had wet the front of my pants. You would have too! It was 1954-55. They were Colts by gawd!!! :) She use to drag that picture out, and tell people; "see he never had a chance". "He had to be a gun nut"! Something I'm proud to be called, by the way! Thanks for the thread. It got me thinking of great times, growing up. Where I was from(ND), back then, EVERYONE had firearms. They weren't ever considered evil. They were tools. They still are in my mind.

Oldnamvet
October 13, 2005, 11:35 PM
I used to have one of the Colt peacemakers that used cartridges that came apart so you could put a cap inside. Then you loaded them just like the real thing. I liked to make a lot of noise though so thought reloading was a pain. I ended up getting a cap pistol that took the red rolls that came 5 to a box. I could go through those pretty fast. Once I had a box in the back pocket of my jeans. I slipped on something and fell smack on my butt -- those caps all went off. Blew the back of my pocket off and made a large hole in my jeans. Went running home with pants smoking. I was wearing a large bandage on my butt for quite a while. Had to put on more vaseline every morning. I was about 8 or 9 but still have the scar to remember.

sfhogman
October 13, 2005, 11:58 PM
Carl Brown, Thanks for the picture of the Thunderburp! It's been a while since the rheumy old eyes have gazed on one of those thngs....

Did anyone else have a Carbide Cannon? The breechlock had a spoon on the end that held a teeny bit of calcium carbide -"Bangsite". When put into the breech and rotated, the bangsite fell into about a tablespoon of water, creating acetlyene gas. Pushing the lock forward struck a lighter flint, and WHAM!!! The cool thing was a huge blue-white flame that you could see at night. You could hold your hand in front of the barrel and the flame would shoot harmlessly between your fingers.:eek: They still make these things....muy expensive.

http://www.ray-vin.com/mus/howworks.htm

Really livened up summer nights in Des Moines...

Jeff

DontBurnMyFlag
October 14, 2005, 09:45 AM
i remember having all sorts of good stuff when i was a kid. I still have a tec-9 water gun in my attic. the whole thing is black with no orange tip.

outofbattery
October 14, 2005, 02:45 PM
I'm only 27, but I had a few cool toys. I had an entertech water gun that looked like an RPG-7. I also had a 1:1 copy of an MP5SD. It had a removeable magazine, retractable stock, and working safety. You could load caps in the mag and it would eject the spent caps like spent brass. I wish I could find those.

ETA- I found a pic of the RPG: http://www.virtualtoychest.com/entertechsquirtguns/entertechbazookac.jpg

I'm 29 and had VERY strict rules about all toy guns:point one at anyone and it was my a$$ but did manage to talk my dad into getting me the awesome Rambo CAR-15 squirtgun whose reservoir what looked like an M-249 box mag.Pretty close to lifesized,made a great sound and would brutalize ants all day long.I didn't really have too many toy guns growing up but the Crossman 760 I got on my 7th birthday sorta made up for it and none of the other kids I knew were allowed to have BB guns until I was already long since .22 approved so maybe I didn't miss out on too much.

MD_Willington
October 14, 2005, 05:02 PM
Child of the 80's here...grew up in an AFB town, CFB Comox in BC Canada...Had a park behind the house, mud, trees, gulleys, and a creek + toy guns what more did us boys need for hours of fun??

I had an Entertech battery operated uzi like this one:
http://www.i-mockery.com/minimocks/water-guns/entertech-uzi.jpg

And the WaterHawk
http://www.virtualtoychest.com/entertechsquirtguns/entertechuzic.jpg

I'm not sure of the manufacturer, but I had a bunch of really great cap guns. These were all very relistic 1:1 copies of the real thing, they all took the 13 shot "Strip Caps" that lock together...I used to use my Grandfathers CANEX card to get the caps guns at the AFB CANEX.

Beretta pistol
Colt M16
Ak-47
Uzi carbine...

72Rover
October 14, 2005, 05:33 PM
The 50's definitely were different WRT guns....

My favorite was a replica of a Browining water-cooled .30 my dad bought me at FAO Swartz. It had a metal slide that would hold a dozen or two wooden, 1/4" or so dowels, and when you cranked the handle on the side, a cam-action spring would wack the lowest one in the feed tray. Range was a good 40+ feet. With rapid fire, it was a formidable weapon in neighborhood skirmishes - until all the 'bullets' got lost in the bushes. For some reason, making new ones never occurred to me at the time, though for a while, pencils around the house started disappearing. :(

Cheers

CajunBass
October 25, 2005, 12:36 PM
Found this on the "Mouseguns" site. Though I'd ask a question, maybe somone here has seen one.

When I was a kid in the 60's I had a replica of what we called then a "German Luger." It was made of solid cast metal, (aluminum? Zinc? I don't know.) had been painted black at one time, but most of the paint was worn away. The barrel was bored (cast?) out about 1/2 inch or so. Other than that it was solid. Whatever it was for originally it looked like it was cast from a mold of a real Luger. It was full sized, it fit right into an surplus GI holster.

I never thought it was made to be a "toy" but we kids used to almost fight to be the one to play with it. At one time or another it stayed at all our houses, I don't even think anyone ever really knew who it belonged to.

Anybody ever seen anything like that?

mainmech48
October 25, 2005, 02:48 PM
Yep! Back in the late '50s there were a few circulating in our little SE MO town. Seemed to be pretty evenly divided between the P-08 and the 1911-A1, IIRC. I traded an old "Doughboy" style helmet to an older kid in my neighborhood for one of the GMs when I was nine or ten.

Don't know exactly what the alloy it was cast from, but the thing was so much more "lifelike" than our cap pistols that the allure was overwhelming.

I seem to recall ads in some of the "adventure" and outdoor magazines for them at the time for the like, often being touted as display models. Can't even guess what the prices ran anymore after almost half a century. Sheesh! Anything over a buck or so seemed to be an unobtainable sum to most of us then and there.

A lot of the ones in our area got modified by the JHS-aged aspiring Hooligans into "firecracker" guns. The barrel was bored back a ways and a somewhat generous "touch hole" drilled in at the rear. The idea being to drop a firecracker down the bore, fish the fuse out the touch hole, ram some newspaper or the like down for wadding, add a ball bearing or some BBs, cram some more paper on top of that, point it at something and light the fuse.

It's a real miracle that there weren't a bunch of Darwin Awards handed out there. Looking back, it sure couldn't have been for the lack of trying :rolleyes:

jcinkc
October 25, 2005, 04:18 PM
http://www.timewarptoys.com/

This site has quite a few of the guns you remember.

Dienekes
November 24, 2005, 07:22 PM
When I was about eight years old I hit the jackpot at Christmas--got seven toy guns all at once. Instant arsenal. I date my interest in guns from then.

Cajunbass, I remember those aluminum replicas. I got one of the Walker Colts and did a little aging work on it, plus making a walnut grip panel for one side. A neighbor mounted it on green felt in a dark walnut case for wall display; I still have it some forty years later. It's a little smaller than the genuine article but looks very good nonetheless.

Those were the days before nice Uberti replicas.

deputy tom
November 24, 2005, 08:03 PM
I had the "secret sam" set.All the stuff is missing and I only still have the attache case.tom.:confused:

Atticus
November 24, 2005, 08:57 PM
I had the Johnny Seven and The Man From U.N.C.L.E. briefcase. This camera gun looks familiar to. Either I had it or one of my brothers did. That kid on the J7 box looks EXACTLY like me in 1966 or so, waiting for my dad to step through the door after work.

My neighbor had 2 Johnnny Sevens in her garage sale a few years ago for $7 each. I didn't have the cash on me so I walked home and went back 20 minutes later and thye were gone. I REALLY kicked myself for not asking her to hold them.

Stevie-Ray
November 24, 2005, 11:48 PM
Did anyone else have a Carbide Cannon? Nope, no cannon, couldn't afford it. (about 3 or 4 bucks back then, I think.;) ) But we could afford carbide, which was about 50 cents a ton when I was a kid. Used to use coffee cans. Punched about 3 or 4 holes in the bottom about an inch from the base rim the size of a quarter. Layed the can down at an angle in the dug out earth so the open end was pointing slightly skyward. Put about 2 or so ounces of water in the can and drop a couple carbide pellets in. Wait for the magic gas to appear and put the plastic lid on. Hold a lighted match to the holes and ............BOOM! Cheap fun for sure.:D

sheepdip
November 25, 2005, 02:29 AM
Thanks to Rembrandt and his thread I have just bid on 5 cap guns from my first childhood.
I may need help if I ever grow up !
I'll post pictures if I win.

Sheldon J
November 25, 2005, 03:18 PM
I had the Johnny Seven OMA. IIRC the pistol grip was a pistol that detached.
Still have mine along with a couple of other spinoff's. As kid I use to have this real neat deringer that used very realistic bullets, you pulled the bullet out of a brass case put the cap in the bottom and replaced the bullet, it looked like a short JHP, don't remember what happened to that one though.:confused: Also still have this neat battery powered squirt gun, put water in the clip attach and ratatatat. looked real too.

G36-UK
November 25, 2005, 03:52 PM
On the talk of the water guns, my friend had this kind of M79 replica that had four plastic "shells" that held quite a squirt of water.

When the trigger was pulled, it compressed the shell, squeezing the water out.

Still haven't been able to find pics.

goon
November 26, 2005, 02:18 AM
I had a whole lot of them. A bunch of SAA looking cap pistols, a pair of Remington looking long barreled revolvers from Parris as well as one of their lever actions, one of their double barreled shotguns, one of their Kentucky rifles, one of their 1903A3s, and two of their "freedom pistols". I also had a couple of their derringers, one blued and one nickel. Untold M-16 knock offs, including one that had a pull slide that you cocked and could then get about twenty full auto shots from. I used to stick empty 22 shells in the track that the slide ran in and then rattle them off, watching the brass eject all over the yard.:evil: I also had a battery powered minigun and a pump action sawed off shotgun. My usual ensemble was a Daisy AK-47 and two Daisy SAA knock offs that would fire single or double action.
My personal favorite was a SIG P-225 made out of all cast metal with plastic grips that I found in a department store in Germany. It felt like a real gun and I used to scare the hell out of my friends back on base. My First Sergeant ordered me to keep in my wall locker. :D I should have kept it but I gave it to a friend's kid instead. Now he can find this post in 10 years and respond to it. :D

It should also be noted that I grew up in the 80's and 90's. Well, I guess "grew up" is a relative term.

Stickjockey
November 26, 2005, 06:02 PM
Did anyone else have a Carbide Cannon?

Yup. Still got it in the basement. Needs a good cleaning, a new flint and some fresh Bangsite(tm), and I'm ready to go.

Wish I still had the Fanner 50; seen the prices on those today?

bg
November 26, 2005, 06:43 PM
I remember wearing this to school one day right after Santa left at
the tree..Sure wish I had it now. Remember how you make your
stomach push on the back of the buckle and the derringer would
pivot out ? Pretty cool, I thought.
http://www.povonline.com/images15/derringer.jpg
Mattel Shootin' Shell Buckle Gun

Tory
November 26, 2005, 07:02 PM
Also the Winchester that loaded through the gate and ejected out the top, just like the real one. My sister got the "scout rifle," which was probably a Rolling Block Remington - all I remember was that hers was single-shot. I also had a "Maverick" - style Derringer.

Later I got a super Thompson cap gun; pull the bolt back and it would eat about 1/4 of a roll of caps each time. Cutts compensator and ribbed barrel, too. Had the original Mattel "Fanner-Fifty" Colt SAA copy that took the "Greenie Stik-Em Caps" ($$$$$) and fired the plastic bullets, as well as one called "Thunder Gun" because it took a DOUBLE roll of caps.

In junior high I learned to zig-zag a roll of caps onto long hat pins (women still had them then), then CAREFULLY pull the pin out after taping the product very tightly w/2 paper matches at the end. This was back when one could learn such useful skills in public schools. :uhoh:

After having one go off in my hand during this delicate manouever, I came up with the brilliant idea of making booby traps by just tying a string to the pin. I tied the other end to the bumper of my mother's car and waited for her to back out of the driveway.

It worked.

Later I tried making firecrackers out of tightly rolled paper and Red Dot. :eek:

Sheldon J
November 26, 2005, 08:22 PM
Later I tried making firecrackers out of tightly rolled paper and Red Dot. :eek:
Yah I tried that too, didn't work but it made a neat little rocket engine. Back then if you were carefull you could scrape the little dot of those big red caps and pile them into a home made firecracker, a little JetX 50 fuse and you were in business, the down side it took a whole box of caps and a whole day to make just one.:D

Sheldon J
November 26, 2005, 08:36 PM
I had an Entertech battery operated uzi like this one:
http://www.i-mockery.com/minimocks/water-guns/entertech-uzi.jpg

THATS THE ONE!!! I still have it too.:rolleyes:

aaronrkelly
November 26, 2005, 11:49 PM
I know it wont be the same but I have thought about getting one of these for my boy for christmas....

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/Item/61/66/08/i616608sq02.jpg

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0012457616608a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnString=hasJS=true&_D%3AhasJS=+&QueryText=TOY+GUN&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.22&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=TOY+GUN&noImage=0&returnPage=search-results1.jsp

sheepdip
November 27, 2005, 12:07 AM
aaronrkelly,
Go for it !
Bought 4 for the Grandkids and one for me.
Dont know about the kids but I show mine off to my friends all the time.
Best toy gun I've ever had,

Roboshred
November 27, 2005, 03:04 AM
http://store.bullmarkettoys.com/gi-joe---12--ww-ii.html
He still is as I kept much of my original stuff and collected and
sold them during the early 90's.

ezypikns
November 27, 2005, 11:39 AM
Let me date myself right away. I was born in 1947.

Does anyone remember a toy gun manufacturer by the name of 'Nichols'? My brother had an 1860 army pistol that was a dead ringer for the real thing.
Does anyone remember a series of rifles made by a company called 'K' something. These were made with wooden stocks and I believe were copies of '03 springfields. They also made long guns modeled after percussion rifles.

And last of all, why were we allowed to play with toy guns without a worry in the world as to what they would do to our delicate psyches? You might argue that TV or movies have changed things, but we watched war movies and westerns as a steady diet, and there was killing aplenty in those. We knew it was only the movies.

I think that the most important thing was that we grew up in a time where kids were familiar with firearms, and that keeping kids away from them and the knowledge of what they're capable of is our worst problem today. Teach a kid respect for firearms and you've solved most of your problems.

lgiotti
March 24, 2006, 04:21 PM
where can I buy these.:confused:

Mongo the Mutterer
March 24, 2006, 04:51 PM
the name of 'Nichols' Yep, but I can't remember what gun I had (born 49 btw). I had one of the Mattel derringer belt buckles, too. The Nichols gun facinates me. Guess I'll google it.

Mongo the Mutterer
March 24, 2006, 04:55 PM
Well, that didn't take long ... Right here (http://www.forsee.com/nichols/default.htm) and I had the derringer...

Connecticut Yankee
March 24, 2006, 08:42 PM
Cajunbass the company was called Lytle. They offered a SAA, A1, Luger, Broomhandle, P38 for sure - I've seen them all. They may have offered others. They were all cast aluminum, fairly heavy and painted matte black. They ran about 4.95 to start in the early fifties up to about 9.95 per in the early sixties.

However, I have also read about a spate of cast aluminum Lugers made right after the war - something about a returning GI making a few bucks. I have seen three or four specimens of these, they are fractionally smaller than the Lytles and lighter (less dense). I have a pair that someone made into bookends.

You can still see them in your local store or at shows for about 50 each. Good luck!

GrammatonCleric
March 25, 2006, 04:37 AM
I was a child of the 80s, but didn't have many toy guns that were store-bought. My siblings and I made our guns out properly-shaped sticks and scrap lumber. One toy gun that we were allowed to have was an exact replica of that shotgun that aaronkelly had in his post. My brothers would go on rabbit-hunting trips with Dad, his brother, and our cousins. We always had a good argument over who got to carry the toy, and walk around with a "real" gun just like Dad.:D We learned good gun safety though, Dad taught us well.

oweno
March 25, 2006, 07:12 AM
In the 1940s, the best cap pistols you could buy were made in, I think, Kilgore, Texas. Any of you Texans out there know about this?

MrTwigg
March 25, 2006, 08:07 AM
You guys made me feel like I was eight years old again ! I had one of the Mattel Shootin' Shell Buckle Guns but I could never get my skinny little belly to make it work. Should'nt be a problem now tho :rolleyes: !

Remember Remco's Monkey Division ?

http://www.bigredtoybox.com/articles/monkeydiv.jpghttp://www.toyadz.com/toyadz/toyguns/remcomonkey.jpghttp://www.velociworld.com/Velocipics/bazooka.jpg

This stuff was big in my town back in the early '60's

dfaugh
March 25, 2006, 08:55 AM
But I was the envy of every kid on the street, 'cause I had more and better than everyone else... In fact when we played war, I used to have to outfit about half the other kids...The 2 that stand out in my memory were an M-14 replica (seems to me like it was full sized and very realistic...but I suspect it was smaller, like 3/4 scale, 'cause I was just a kid.) and "Kentucky" rifle that shot cork bullets, propelled (poorly) by caps. It, too was very realistic.

I'll have to ask my mother whatever happened to them...I had alot of nice toys when I was growing up, and I treated them well, and carefully. Mom gave alot of them to my nephew(who ruined most of 'em), but I know my sister never let him have toy guns. When I finally had kids, I had nothing to pass on to them:fire:

Manedwolf
March 25, 2006, 11:27 AM
Wow, way before my time, but...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/ToyGuns7.jpg

Now I see where the whole concept of overdone Tacticool had its roots! :D

And as far as the playing-with-toy-guns-is-okay period, I was lucky enough to be pre-90's, so backyards still echoed with cries of "BANG! You're dead!" "Am not! You missed me!" "Did not!" "Did too!" ...and none of the kids I knew grew up to be highschool killers. Funny thing, that.

pparker
March 25, 2006, 01:05 PM
:evil: When I was 13 or 14, a friend of mine and I were just a tad delinquent. One night I had several rolls of caps and I stacked them up on a concrete front porch. The house happened to belong to a local policeman and the front door was open. I found a large rock and started pounding on the caps while my friend kept walking up the street. On about the fourth "wham" from the rock, the whole mess went off. It sounded like a cannon and my hand, still holding the rock, went flying backwards (still attached to my wrist and unhurt). I jumped up and ran and saw my friend already flying down the street. I passed him. Sadly, we both turned out badly. He's a vice-president of a major international company and I'm finishing up my 33rd year as a school teacher. Once you go bad, there is just no turning around.

PlayboyPenguin
March 25, 2006, 01:42 PM
My grandfather gave these to me when I was like 4-5 years old. He had bought them in the 1950's new and unused in Hong Kong of all places. He had bought them for my dad but then never gave them to him for some reason or another and forgot about them until finding them in our attic still in the original box. I wore them all the time. I even wore them to school.:)

I still have them but unfortunately they are in "well-loved" condition.:(

Here is a picture of a set like they were when I first got them. They recently sold online for nearly $5,000 :eek:

Johnny Guest
March 25, 2006, 03:05 PM
CajunBass, mainmech48, and Connecticut Yankee - - I remember those solid metal handguns well!

I was in the 5th grade - - About 1954? - - in El Paso, Texas, when I discovered an ad for solid cast aluminum pistols. Sent off for the pamphlet, which had a very short historical blurb about the guns. I was in heaven reading about the nifty guns they sold. Full size replicas, clearly made from casts from the real thing. Someone made a small fortune with his collection of WWII souveniers. There were 12 of them. Let's see - -
1911 .45*
P.08 Luger*
Walther P38
C96 Mauser Broomhandle
7.65 Beretta 1935*
CZ P27
Colt SAA "Frontier"
"Spanish Moxley .32 revolver" which was exactly the same as a 4" S&W M&P
Colt Cobra .38* - - Didn't say Detective Special. Cobra, which was still a pretty new model at the time.
Nambu 8mm pistol
- - And a few others.
* Either my little brother or I owned these. And a cousin got the P38 and the Broomhandle. They sold for $2.00 each at first. Soon went to 3.95, and the last ad I saw offered the same ones for, I think, 5.95.

Man, what memories surface after all these years! Lytle Novelty Company, 2656 Fashion Ave, Chicago, Illinois. (How can I remember that? I have trouble recalling my granddaughters' birthdays. :rolleyes: )

About 1950, there were a series of cap revolvers mentioned above. The big one was the Stallion 45, a good copy of the 7-1/2" barrel SAA. Used big two piece cartridges. Pull out the big bullet end and insert a circular cap and replace bullet. Bullet provided the anvil, and smoke came out the hollow point and went down the barrel. It took even longer to reload than the real Peacemaker, but for six shots, it was unbelieveably stylish!

There were two smaller versions, Stallion .38 and .32, but their loading gates rocked rearward, unlike the .45 version, and their "cartridges" were smaller, too, though they used the same size caps. I had the .45; my brother had the .38 version. Of course, we lost the ammo components, and I never found replacement pieces.

Best to all - -
Johnny

Stevie-Ray
March 26, 2006, 08:45 PM
Remember Remco's Monkey Division ?Do I ever. We all had Monkey equipment. I remember one of the Monkey pistols that looked like a ray gun, had no moving parts at all. Just point and pretend.

I also had a bazooka that shot a yellow projectile. My brother had a mortar that shot a blue one. The mortar was downright dangerous. If you got in front of that thing when someone was touching it off...........ouch!

And does anybody remember the fat red rubber pistols that shot ping-pong balls by squeezing?

roscoe
March 26, 2006, 10:53 PM
You can still get quality metal capguns at Sportsmans Warehouse. I have a three-year-old daughter that is going to get a set for her fifth.

LAK
March 27, 2006, 05:30 AM
This one takes me back a few years! I had one of those Johnny Eagle Magumba rifles for Christmas once. Don't know what ever becaome of it, but it was my "first rifle". I was really serious about sending those spring-loaded plastic bullets at various targets around the house and yard while on safari.

-------------------------------------

http://ussliberty.org
http://ssunitedstates.org

Browns Fan
March 27, 2006, 07:46 AM
Dude, my dad bought me this toy gun for Christmas on year. It looked just like a ma duece .50 cal! It was battery operated, made a lot of noise and similated muzzle flash. It had the butterfly grip/trigger setup. It was awesome, I was the envy of the neighborhood when we played "Combat!"! Of course, I mostly fired it from the hip. ;)

G36-UK
March 27, 2006, 11:03 AM
I remember one time, when my Dad was playing in his band down town, the "Bus Stop Four", I got a copy of an Intratec KG-9, a one-piece job with a silencer which "clicked" when you pulled the trigger.

I still have that and a "Grease Gun" replica somewhere.

Bullet Bob
March 27, 2006, 11:28 AM
I had several sets in the 50's (I was born in 1951). My favorite cowboy was Roy Rogers, so that set of toy guns was by far my favorite.

There is a gentleman in Colfax NC who has a frame shop, and whose hobby is collecting toy guns, old cowboy posters, etc. He displays much of his collection in the shop, and it is wonderful to see.

Even though the prices those items bring today are pretty good, I don't regret wearing them out at all. The enjoyment I got then, and the memories I have now, are worth far more than any money I could get for a pristine in the box set.

PlayboyPenguin
March 27, 2006, 01:02 PM
I still have my Roy Rogers set as I posted earlier. I wish I had kept them in better condition.

Does anyone else remember the sets that came out in the late 60's- early 70's that included a a hat, vest, long riflr, belt, and sidearm? They came in white or black. The white one had a badge and the black one had a bandit mask. I had the white one and loved it but cannot remember the maker.

rcupka
March 27, 2006, 01:18 PM
Kind of makes you wonder how a group of kids that played with guns all the time, played sports where we actually kept score, and didn't have experts worrying about whether our self esteem was hurt when our teachers marked our answers wrong with a red pen God Forbid, ever survived to adulthood!

rcupka

bumm
March 27, 2006, 04:12 PM
Oh, the MEMORIES! I'm a 1950 model. :) The first toy gun I remember having was a double barrel cork firing shotgun... wish I still had it. I still DO have a nice looking Colt SAA pistol that simply says "cowboy" on each side... I got that when I was maybe four. I also still have a really well made, heavy guage metal machine gun... no trigger, but turning a crank on the side would get rid of a roll of caps in no time. :D It says "Buddy L" on the side, along with "Main Machine Co." When I was a squirt, my late father would come home from work, pick it up, and crank the handle, spraying the room with clicks. Then came the day when my mom suggested loading it with caps, and laying it out where he'd find it. BANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANG!!!! He nearly had a heart attack! :D
Marty

jhowl305
February 3, 2011, 09:27 PM
Anybody remember a black toy machine gun of the late 50s or early 60s...it wasn't the Tommy-burst or Tommy-burp...I thought is was the Thunderbolt or Thunderball...it was very cool and sought after by the kids...it looked like a machine gun with a metal stock of some kind...like the bust you could pull back the spring for rapid fire...or single shot, but there were no caps involved...just the noise. I don't even know if it was Matell...but apparently not because I can't find it.

Kaeto
February 4, 2011, 07:29 PM
I still have one of the Hubley cap revolvers. Mine looks like a Colt Cap and Ball but has a loading gate like a SAA as well.

VT Deer Hunter
February 4, 2011, 08:18 PM
"Saw one of those M-14 looking toy rifles at a local military collectable store, And it had a $500 price tag on it..... "

And i go to the antique shop to look at stuff and find a $1,000 Catcher in The Rye book.

TexasBill
February 4, 2011, 08:42 PM
I was in my teens when the Johnny Eagle line came out so they were too late for me; my little brother had one, though.

Anyone remember the Kadet Trainer Rifle? I got one, complete with rubber bayonet, for Christmas in 1957. It was a scaled-down replica of a 1903 Springfield made of wood and metal. It had a bolt action, a sling and a "clicker" trigger. It was cool! It came with a comic book about organizing a group of kids with their own Trainer rifle for military drills and such.

What's really neat is (1) they were originally made for the Army and Navy during WWII as training rifles when there was a shortage of the real thing and (2) you can still get them.

I did have the "Ricochet" revolver and had a pair of Hubley six-guns. I never had a Fanner 50, though I did get the snub-nose with the shoulder holster. The problem we had with the "Shootin' Shells" is that the plastic clip that were supposed to keep the bullet in the case would weaken, leading to juvenile "unintended discharges." That was a problem in social situations. My parents enrolled me in a ballroom dancing class where some of my friends also suffered under the tutelage of "Miss Barbara." The Mattel snubnoses were popular and several of us had them so we wore our rigs under the coats that were required for class. In addition to the fact the spring loaded bullets would discharge, the holsters weren't particularly good a retention leading to more than a couple of "weapons" falling to the floor. Needless to say, our parents were advised that packing heat in dance class was inappropriate.

I also had the Mattel Thunder Burp. Did you know that the first TV ad for a toy was for the Thunder Burp? It aired for the first time on October 3, 1955 on The Mickey Mouse Club.

One of the neatest guns I had was a Nichols revolver that had a unique style of cap-fired bullet. There was a metal casing and a pot-metal bullet with a plastic tip. You put a Greenie Stickem Cap on the base of the bullet and the gun would fire it for "harmless" fun. The trick was that if you put several Stickem caps on the base of the bullet, you could get pretty decent muzzle velocity and range (though not much in the way of accuracy). Of course, no one ever did that... The Consumer Products Safety Council would go into full cardiac arrest if someone tried to market a toy like that today.

Joe in fla
February 4, 2011, 10:23 PM
I used to have one of the Mattel Thompson SMGs. I shot up everything in three states with that thing! Also a couple of very realistic, working toy grenades that used caps instead of HE. They used rings with pull pins and had fly away spoons and a functional striker exactly like the real thing! Somewhere in the back on one of my closets I still have a kid-sized wooden 1903 Springfield. We didn't have TV when I was a kid and we used to actually PLAY OUTDOORS! Today they'd probably lock up any parent that made their kid play outside!

SharpsDressedMan
February 5, 2011, 12:28 AM
I'll go with the Mattel Tommy Gun, and those solid cast aluminum pistols that sold for $3.95 from an ad in the American Rifleman and several of the old gun magazines. They didn't click or fire, but they looked more real than anything else, and there were about 30 different ones to choose from.

dodge
February 5, 2011, 09:45 AM
I had a M1 Garand that fired wooden bullets and a Winchester 94 that I got from General Mills for some box tops from Cheerios and a $1 that was a cap gun. I didn't have a carbide cannon but we use to use milk cans and drill a hole at the top just below the neck. Put some water in it and add the carbide light the match and lean back as far as possible,touch it off and get a real good boom. While playing with it one day my father told me that his brothers and him made a wooden plug with handles for one and they would try to ride it when it went off.

welldoya
February 5, 2011, 04:23 PM
I had the Man From U.N.C.L.E. camera gun, the Winchester 94 that ejected shells out of the top, the Roy Rogers double set and the ranch complete with the buildings , fences and animals. Also had a Roy Rogers outfit, vest, etc.
One of my favorites was the Steve McQueen "Wanted Dead or Alive" Mare's Leg.

Jesse Heywood
February 6, 2011, 01:15 AM
I was a crack shot at the age of 3.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=135766&stc=1&d=1296972886

TexasBill
February 6, 2011, 05:10 AM
A bit off the thread here, but does anyone remember Winnie-The-Pooh? In the original book, Christopher Robin had a cork gun that shot corks that weren't tethered to the gun.

In the original Disney animated film, Pooh had a similar gun, though I don't recall Pooh ever saying "Oh bother," as he chambered another round.

DeltaKilo
February 6, 2011, 07:34 PM
Some very awesome stuff here, some of it I wish they still made when I was a kid.

bannockburn
February 6, 2011, 09:43 PM
Between myself and my two older brothers growing up in the late '50's to early '60's, I can't think of many toy guns we didn't have. This included Hubley cap guns, twin Fanner 50's, a Kentucky Long Rifle, Kadet drill rifles, a Mattel Tommy Gun, Johnny Eagle M-14's, Ideal M-16's, a complete Man from U.N.C.L.E. pistol/carbine set, and a Remco Monkey Division mortar. We were the Arsenal of Democracy; well at least for our street in the neighborhood.

chriske
February 7, 2011, 09:52 AM
Of course Belgian toys were/are very different from American ones.

But strangely enough (or maybe not) a sizeable portion of my 20-odd gun collection actually consists of "real" versions of the toy guns I owned as a kid (ca.1960-'65).

SwampWolf
February 7, 2011, 02:33 PM
Full size replicas, clearly made from casts from the real thing.

Yep, how I loved those cast aluminum replicas! It had to be right around 1958 or 1959 (when I was about fifteen years old) when I saw the ad in some magazine. At two bucks a pop, they weren't cheap back then but a little bit of saving made it possible to buy a couple. I remember getting three of them, a "German Luger", a "Colt Cobra" and a "Colt .45 Auto". No they didn't fire caps nor did they have any moving parts, but they were full-size copies of the real thing and were accurate in every way in terms of appearance. I'm not at all sure about this but I think they were made in Japan.
All these many years later, I have no idea whatever happened to them, but I do remember they were my all time favorite "toys" as a kid. Of course, they don't compare to what children have access to today in terms of realistic toy guns but "back in the day", nothing else came close.
Thanks for conjuring up some fond, old memories, Johnny Guest. :)

swiftak
February 7, 2011, 03:15 PM
I owned the Johnny Seven in 1965 or 1966. Also owned the Roy Rodger cap guns with the holsters. I had a lever action rifle that fired the plastic bullets in 1963 or 1964. They snapped into a plastic shell casing and hit pretty hard.

InkEd
February 7, 2011, 04:36 PM
Wow, somebody resurrected a 5year old thread with there first post. :rolleyes:

At least, it was a decent topic. I had several real-looking toy guns.

TheBookGuy
February 7, 2011, 05:02 PM
Does anyone remember during the 70s/80s - Toys R Us carrying a real wood bolt action rifle that had a wooden "bullet" that looked like it really chambered when you closed the bolt?

Ala Dan
February 7, 2011, 06:23 PM
Aw~! the "Fanner 50"~! Awesome revolver. ;) :D

22shooters
February 7, 2011, 09:31 PM
I had one that I believe was called OKINAWA GUN. Plastic(green?),bipod, fired rounds that were .5 dia. or so. they loaded into a magazine at the top of the gun.It cocked like a tommy gun. I suppose it was to resemble a B A R or light air cooled .30 . Also remember the Bret or Bart Maverick cowboy hat that had a compartment that a derringer?

rsasse
February 26, 2011, 07:15 PM
I had a plastic carbine with a script "Paratroop" engraved on the receiver group. It came with a vinyl bayonet.
It was a spring loaded and fired plastic bullets from a magazine.

Anyone know the brand name?

RT55
February 28, 2011, 12:44 AM
Ricochet rifle, Johnny Reb cannon, Fanner 50, Man From UNCLE set, Parris Trainer rifle, the Parris percussion cap pistol that shoot cork balls. My brother and I had a lot of fun with all those, and had forgotten about most of them until reading this thread.

Jolly Rogers
February 28, 2011, 07:14 AM
I had a kool detective snubby (chrome finish) that came with a flexible plastic shoulder holster. I loved that kit. Had a friend come over to play and when he left I noticed it was gone. Dad and I got in the car and drove toward his house and caught up with him on the sidewalk. Asked him to open his jacket...there it was. Scratch one friend.
Joe

gym
March 1, 2011, 11:43 PM
I still have a fanner 50.

leadcounsel
March 2, 2011, 06:16 AM
I was a kid in the early 1980s. We had some great toys even then. Man I wish I would have been able to save them. I just have no idea what ever happened to them... probably sold for nothing at a garage sale (along with my Transformers which are worth gold now)...

I remember between my friends and me, I had an incredibly realistic UZI that made an automatic gunfire noise with the pull of the trigger, my friend John had an SMG, I think a Tommy gun that you could cock and pull the trigger and it would make full auto gunfire. It was really cool. I had this awesome realistic compact .45. Oh, and I had a 1903 or Mauser style bolt action rifle made of real wood and potmetal. It had a working bolt with a fake bullet in the action, that would retract to appear that it was loaded into the chamber when you worked the bolt. It was really cool. Toys R Us carrying a real wood bolt action rifle that had a wooden "bullet" that looked like it really chambered when you closed the bolt? Yep, that is it!

Shortly after my youth, probably in the late 1980s or early 1990s, they started making them less realistic and putting red tips on the barrels of toys...

My first BB guns were a revolver style that loaded BBs through the base of the barrel and a 1911 that loaded BBs from the top at the front of the barrel (saw a similar one for $20 at a gunshow last year, debated buying it but did not).

Stevie-Ray
March 2, 2011, 03:56 PM
Also a couple of very realistic, working toy grenades that used caps instead of HE. They used rings with pull pins and had fly away spoons and a functional striker exactly like the real thing! We used these little rockets that had a spring-pull device that you could pull up and insert roll caps into. Maybe 3 or 4 caps tops, or you run the risk of a dud. It was weighted at the top and had stabilizing fins, so it would fly true and always land on the striker. Toss the thing into the air and it would land with a bang. We had to make sure there was a lot of hard surface for our "grenades" to land on when we played "army," as grass provided a lot of duds. The rockets were 10 cents a piece back then, they'd likely be an AOW, or destructive device now.:D

oldfool
March 3, 2011, 07:13 AM
dunno how I missed the Johnny Eagle stuff, had a bunch of others, including many named above
but #1 in my heart always was the two gun Mattel Fanner 50 set, in pretty decent leather, too, as I recall, and I was pretty quick with 'em, fastest kid on my block anyway, either hand (I was strictly a DAO shooter, back then)

probably some part of why I am a k-frame guy today

RB98SS
March 3, 2011, 09:07 AM
Yes! I had the Johnny Seven.

If you enjoyed reading about "Toy Guns of the 1950's - 1960's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!