A few completely random gun questions...

PDA

boo17
August 22, 2005, 01:59 PM
Ill number these to make things easier...

1. Are M4's available to buy in semi auto form only? How much would they cost?

2. Is there any shotshell handgun cartriges for the smaller calibers like 9mm? Who makes them?

3. If you need to be 18 to buy a handgun and 21 to buy a pistol how old do you need to be to get a title 3 permit?

4. Would it be illegal if you bought 9mm ammo and said it was for a carbine and then shot the ammo in a pistol?

5. Where can I buy Winchester Rangers online? And other than people who are selling them privately?

6. If you get a CCW permit could you carry a gun other than a pistol like a small shotgun, even a sub-machine gun? (just wondering on that one)

sorry about all the questions, just wanted to save time and space and ask them all at once.

If you enjoyed reading about "A few completely random gun questions..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Justin
August 22, 2005, 02:05 PM

Yes. Full-auto M16's are, for all intents and purposes, regulated and priced far beyond standard firearms.

2. Is there any shotshell handgun cartriges for the smaller calibers like 9mm? Who makes them? Possibly, but you'll have to look. Realize that they most likely will not cycle an automatic.

3. If you need to be 18 to buy a handgun and 21 to buy a pistol how old do you need to be to get a title 3 permit? Someone 'round here is bound to know...

4. Would it be illegal if you bought 9mm ammo and said it was for a carbine and then shot the ammo in a pistol? If someone was intent on making a federal case out of it, probably.

5. Where can I buy Winchester Rangers online? And other than people who are selling them privately? Dunno. Not my brand.

6. If you get a CCW permit could you carry a gun other than a pistol like a small shotgun, even a sub-machine gun? (just wondering on that one) Depends on where you live. But even in those places where it's legal, I seriously doubt that anyone would. It would royally suck to go through the hassle of getting a Title II NFA weapon only to have it confiscated by the police after using it to defend yourself.

SkunkApe
August 22, 2005, 02:06 PM
2. Yes - CCI makes them: http://www.cci-ammunition.com/default.asp?menu=1&s1=3&pg=14&prod_id=24

Nathanael_Greene
August 22, 2005, 02:15 PM
For online sources of anything firearms-related, these sites are generally considered the Three Musketeers:

www.gunbroker.com
www.auctionarms.com
www.gunsamerica.com

There are dealers who have large internet shops, too...I just can't think of any offhand.

Correia
August 22, 2005, 02:29 PM

Yes, semi M4s are available. However we usually call them M4gerys because the military M4's barrel is a little too short. M4s type rifles are available from many companys. Such as Bushmaster, Armalite, Rock River, Colt, Sabre, etc. Search the rifle forum for details. Price between $600-$2000 depending on what you want.

2. Is there any shotshell handgun cartriges for the smaller calibers like 9mm? Who makes them?

Yes, CCI. Linked above.

3. If you need to be 18 to buy a handgun and 21 to buy a pistol how old do you need to be to get a title 3 permit?

21, talk to your local NFA dealer to be walked through the process.

4. Would it be illegal if you bought 9mm ammo and said it was for a carbine and then shot the ammo in a pistol?

Depends on your state. In most states, no.

5. Where can I buy Winchester Rangers online? And other than people who are selling them privately?

I believe www.ammoman.com carries Rangers. Many stores that are online have them as well. My store is coming online, but we don't currently stock Ranger.

6. If you get a CCW permit could you carry a gun other than a pistol like a small shotgun, even a sub-machine gun? (just wondering on that one)

Once again, depends on your state. Some states require you to carry specific guns that you have specified, others limit it to revolver or semi-auto depending on what you qualify with, others it is a concealed weapon permit, and you can carry NFA guns.

Flyboy
August 22, 2005, 03:33 PM
6. And yet others, like Oklahoma, limit you to action types (semi-auto, revolver, derringer) with which you have qualified, and impose a limitation on caliber. In Oklahoma, the limit is .45--sorry, Serbu Super Shorty or Desert Eagle fans.

Andrew Rothman
August 22, 2005, 03:52 PM

Heh. In Minnesota, with a carry permit, you can carry any -- and as many -- guns as you like, as long as it's legal for you to possess them. And they needn't be concealed.

Theoretically, I could walk down Hennepin Avenue with an AR-15 over each shoulder.

Might get a few stares, though. :D

(If someone gives me a couple, I'll try it and let you know what happens. :) )

jefnvk
August 22, 2005, 04:33 PM

A pistol is a handgun. Federal law says you must be 21 to buy a handgun (including a pistol) from an FFL dealer. Your state may or may not limit 18-20 year olds from buying a handgun from a private seller.

Title 3 and any FFL is 21.

04SilverSCFX4
August 22, 2005, 04:40 PM
Matt Payne,

I'll make the trip to MN and let you borrow my M4 just so I can see the looks you'll get walking down the street. We just need to find another loaner and we're set.

I think we've got a couple de-commisioned AT4's in the armory, maybe you can strap one of those on too. LOL!

Taurus 66
August 22, 2005, 06:08 PM

OK, this one's got me scratching my head. :scrutiny: I thought a pistol is a handgun and a handgn's a pistol. Apparently not. Well I know a revolver's not a handgun. It's pistol, right? Or is that a wheel gun? Hmmm ... Or is the wheel gun a handgun and the revolver a pistol? Now semiautomatics are not wheel guns, nor are they six shooters, while it is possible to have a semiauto hold only six rounds, it's still not a six shooter. A semiautomatic is either a handgun or pistol. Eh,

FORGETABOUTIT!!

:banghead:

boo17
August 22, 2005, 07:43 PM
oh well i guess i hould have said "handgun". Anyways is an FFL just a fullauto/silencer/suppressor?

chris in va
August 22, 2005, 08:02 PM
FFL is where you buy the gun from, IE gunstore.

Federal Firearms License holder.

August 22, 2005, 08:06 PM
Are M4's available to buy in semi auto form only? How much would they cost?
Ok, I am going to take this to mean exactly what it says. Yes, you can buy a semi-auto M4. There is only one company that makes one: Colt. The model number is 6400. It is the only one that will say M4 on the gun. In addition, there is more to an M4 than just having a barrel machined to accept an M203: such as M4 feed ramps. There are only two AR15 manufacturers that have M4 feedramps: Colt, and LMT. So, contrary to what you might think, I am not trying to be smart.
The others are look alikes that basically just have an M4 profile barrel.

boo17
August 22, 2005, 08:45 PM
thanks 444 thats exctly what i was looking for. but do you know how much a semi m4 would cost? and is it possible to buy a M203 from a FFL? If so, and you go through with the tax, do you need to pay a tax for every grenade that you buy?

Stevie-Ray
August 22, 2005, 08:53 PM
When I bought my Colt Tac Carbine, the M4s were $1400. Not sure if they've gone up or down since April.

jefnvk
August 22, 2005, 08:56 PM
and is it possible to buy a M203 from a FFL? If so, and you go through with the tax, do you need to pay a tax for every grenade that you buy?

It would have to go through the NFA dealer (M203 is a DD), paying the tax, and then every round would also have to go through the NFA approval and tax.

You can, however, buy a 37mm flare launcher that looks like the real thing, and launch 37mm flares, which do not have to go through the NFA process. One of the AR manufacturers had one, IIRC.

August 22, 2005, 09:08 PM
I don't know what one costs but Nathanael_Greene gave you some links where you might find one. Another good place would be the AR15.com Equipment Exchange.
The M203 Question has already been answered.

Jim K
August 23, 2005, 02:40 PM
FWIW, grenades and some grenade launchers are classified as destructive devices, and can be sold only by dealers with Type 9 FFL. An ordinary gun dealer (Type 1 FFL) or the holder of a Class 3 tax stamp (dealer in other NFA firearms) cannot deal in DD's.

And yes, every grenade must be registered, a $200 transfer tax paid, and a report filed if/when it is destroyed. So buying a grenade launcher and playing Rambo can get pretty expensive if done legally and maybe even more expensive if done illegally.

Jim

CleverNickname
August 23, 2005, 09:13 PM
It would have to go through the NFA dealer (M203 is a DD), paying the tax, and then every round would also have to go through the NFA approval and tax.

Only if the round contains explosives. If it's a chalk practice round or a signalling round or a .22LR beehive round, it's not a DD. It's a moot point though because no manufacturers will sell explosive 40mm rounds to private citizens for liability reasons.

If you enjoyed reading about "A few completely random gun questions..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!