Got some sobering news today...

PDA

thefitzvh
August 23, 2005, 04:30 AM
Gun related: I get to play with some cool toys soon!

I haven't been on here for quite a while. Between college, and my band, I've been super busy. But some people on here are very close friends of mine, and I call you all brothers and sisters...

I'm being called up from the IRR to active duty. I go to Ft Benning GA for predeployment training (gotta re-sharpen those infantry skills...), then I go to Iraq. My orders specify Kelley hill on benning, so I assume i'll be with the 3ID or one of the attached guard units.

Now, i'm not in any way pissed about this... just nervous about the timing. I've been out for a while now, and i'm a little out of shape (that ended today tho. i'm on a strict PT program until i report) In addition, my band is doing well, and it's a shame to leave them.

My bandmates are heartbroken, and they've decided to put the band on hold rather than hire a replacement. I'm very touched by that. They placed a very very nice message on the site... (www.motleycrued.com/main/)

Anyways, I'm gonna clean my collection and pack it all away safely... tips would be appreciated on the proper way to store guns for long periods.

I hope to have time to post here again before I deploy, but if not, y'all can email me at thefitzvh@msn.com

Thanks for always being around, fellas...

James

If you enjoyed reading about "Got some sobering news today..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sleeping Dog
August 23, 2005, 07:10 AM
RIG - Rust Inhibiting Grease. A little bit goes a long way, it'll protect the metal finish through long-term storage. Maybe a little in the bore as well, just be sure to clean it out before you fire it again.

If you have a gun safe, a goldenrod heater or even a low-power appliance light bulb will keep the humidity from attacking. Or rent storage space over in Indio.

If you're going for a year, that's not all that long in terms of firearms storage. It's a long time to be away from the world. Best of luck.

RIG will also keep guitar strings from rusting :D

Regards.

CajunBass
August 23, 2005, 07:23 AM
Godspeed my friend I've never met.

Stay low, and look unimportant.

1911 guy
August 23, 2005, 07:56 AM
Anyone who willingly serves is my brother or sister in the profession of arms.
Go with our best wishes and prayers for your safe return. Cut one, we all bleed.

ArmyCop
August 23, 2005, 08:03 AM
May God be with you. I went through Benning for predeployment back in 03. Spent a little time in Kuwait supposing to get acclimated to high temps. Was in Kuwait Spring of 03 then Summer and Fall in Baghdad.
Get a camel back\pack water thingie, you'll need it. We were never told how long we'd be there. Many guessed (hoped) it'd be 6 to 9 months. I had to come home for surgery after 9 months over there - the rest of my unit stayed about 7 more months.
Now I'm hearing Army wanting to change \ set time before rotation to 2 years.

Waitone
August 23, 2005, 08:22 AM
Irr ?

rms/pa
August 23, 2005, 08:34 AM
Inactive Ready Reserve

if one reads the enlistment papers carefully
you will see that you have signed for a 6 year obligation regardless of the lenghth of your active duty.

this means you can do your active duty time, go home start your life again ..... and they have till
the end of your 6 to call you back if they want you.

you can get all the verbal promises you want to listen to about the lenghth of your enlistment. but the papers will be for 6 years.

rms/pa

CAS700850
August 23, 2005, 08:37 AM
Sleeping Dog,

Best wishes. Come home safe, and soon (I hope).

On the gun storage front, I'd recommend a very trusted friend or relative to care for teh stash while you're gone. We've had a rash of break-ins at the homes of deployed reservists. Hate to think you'd be in Iraq only to learn your collection is now on the streets.

1911 guy
August 23, 2005, 08:41 AM
My IRR was 8 years! Oh well, thing of the past, now.

Old Fuff
August 23, 2005, 08:46 AM
thefitzvh:

The best way to pack guns for long-term storage is to do what the military services and firearms companies do.

Go to (www.brownells.com) and you can purchase vapor inhibitor (VIP) materials in the form of wrap or treated bags. Lightly oil the guns (grease is unnecessary) and then seal the bags, or use a regular zip-lock bag with the gun wrapped in paper wrap. They will be secured against rusting for up to 5 years, as the vapor inside the bag protects any and all steel parts, inside and out. When you need to use the gun again simply open the bag and remove it.

RRTX
August 23, 2005, 10:36 AM
Don't feel bad man, I got called up a few weeks ago and have to report on Sept 5th. I've gotten quite a bit of info on it now so feel free to email or PM me on here and I'll try to help you out with any questions. My report date may change now though since I broke my ankle yesterday while out jogging.

waterhouse
August 23, 2005, 10:54 AM
You guys be safe and come home in one piece.

mattk
August 23, 2005, 10:55 AM
3rd ID? Maybe they are sending you to 3rd Brigade 3rd ID. The rest of 3rd ID is at Ft. Stewart. 3rd Brigade is at Benning because it used to be the 197th Inf Brigade(Sep) but when the 24ID went to Desert Storm they needed a 3rd brigade and the ANG roundout brigade failed miserable at their predeployment training so the 197th became 3rd brigade 24ID. Then a few years later the 24ID became the 3rd ID.

There's some recent and still very confusing unit history for ya.
3rd ID musem at Stewart has some cool stuff brought back from Iraq in the first go around.

TimH
August 23, 2005, 03:36 PM
God's Speed

enfield303
August 23, 2005, 03:48 PM
Stay Safe. Remember, body armor GOOD!!

ny_vin18
August 23, 2005, 04:13 PM
i dont know u and we have never talked to one another befor, BUT i highly respect any man or women serving are country in the armed forces. i hope u come home safe and soon. i have a friend over in baghdad hes with the 256th louisiana his sector is over by the baghdad airport. just figured id let ya know if u ever come across him. hes a good guy. take care man and may god keep you safe.

Rickstir
August 23, 2005, 04:41 PM
Fitz my man, God be with you. You carry the prayers and wishes for your safety from a lot of folks. Thank you for going in Harm's Way for us. If you get the chance, drop in and let us know how you are doing.

firefighter4884
August 23, 2005, 04:44 PM
Fitz,

Goodluck. Godspeed. Come home safe.

And thank you.

--Jim

Legionnaire
August 23, 2005, 05:16 PM
God go with you. You, too, RRTX. You have my respect and prayers.

Black Majik
August 23, 2005, 05:20 PM
Good luck and stay safe. :)

wingnutx
August 23, 2005, 06:02 PM
Good luck and godspeed!

I just got back in April myself. Post your address or email it to me and I will send you something interesting.

Bob F.
August 23, 2005, 09:58 PM
God be with you, stay safe, and effective!

Bob

MikeIsaj
August 23, 2005, 10:03 PM
God be with you both. Know that we are proud of you and a little bit of many of us goes with you.

Chrontius
August 23, 2005, 10:07 PM
Good luck, keep your head down (seriously, truck armor only goes so high) and come back safe and soon.

psyopspec
August 23, 2005, 10:11 PM
you can get all the verbal promises you want to listen to about the lenghth of your enlistment.

Or, you can read what you sign.

Either way, good luck friend. See you soon.

The Freeholder
August 23, 2005, 10:22 PM
Good luck my man. Come home safe.

bigun15
August 23, 2005, 10:54 PM
I don't know either of you guys, but you're fighting for me and my family, so thank you and we'll be ready for you when you get back.

Monkeyleg
August 23, 2005, 11:07 PM
Put your guns in the vapor-inhibiting bags and forget about them. Please concentrate on coming home intact.

Thank you from millions of Americans for what you're doing.

huntsman
August 24, 2005, 12:13 AM
what ever you do don't hide your guns.

My dad packed up his collection of colt SSA's and other pistols coverd them with grease wrapped thrm in rags put them in a wood box and hid them, and left for WWII in 1942.He didn't make it back to the farm till the mid 50's and after all he went though he couldn't remember where he stashed them. :( spend the rest of his life trying to remember and looking,never did find them. :banghead:

MadGeorge18
August 24, 2005, 12:18 AM
My hat's off to you and my heart is with you both....come home safe.
USN 1963-66

sfhogman
August 24, 2005, 12:22 AM
Godspeed and best wishes to you guys from an old vet.

And thank you.

Jeff

stevelyn
August 24, 2005, 10:05 AM
I'm pretty impressed with the performance of Bullfrog products. http://www.rustbloc.com

Keep your head down and stay alert.

AirForceShooter
August 24, 2005, 03:36 PM
honing up on those rusty skills?
Remember the dirt is your best friend.
If they get to calling me we're truly lost

AFS

RocketMan
August 24, 2005, 03:44 PM
Good luck and God Bless, James.
Keep your head down over there.

thefitzvh
August 25, 2005, 09:15 AM
rnrsoldier.blogspot.com

I'm gonna try to update this as often as possible. Right now is "get ready" phase.

James

Dionysusigma
August 25, 2005, 10:20 AM
Just be sure to clean all the glam-rock makeup off before you put on your BDUs ;) :p :neener:

How long are they calling you back for?

Stevie-Ray
August 27, 2005, 12:44 AM
Heartfelt thanks for your service. Our prayers and God go with you. Stay safe and come home soon.

Agent P
August 27, 2005, 02:23 AM
I'll pray for you both. Good luck, stay safe!

entropy
August 27, 2005, 10:20 AM
Good Luck, fitzvh and RRTX! Watch your six, and know your service is appreciated. put the guns in VPI, cold ones in the fridge for when you get home, and keep the situational awareness high!

Hey, I was cheated, too! My total time, Active + IRR was 8 years! ;)

I agree with Air Force Shooter, if they call me up, we're all SOL! :D

XLMiguel
August 27, 2005, 10:34 AM
Good luck, Godspeed, stay safe, and thank you for your service. [insert salute smiley here]

Hobie
August 27, 2005, 04:13 PM
Thank you. I sincerely appreciate all those that serve when I no longer can. All those serving are in my daily prayers.

Didorian
August 27, 2005, 07:34 PM
thefitzvh, RRTX.

Guys, it's gonna be hot. And it's gonna be agrivating as HELL.......
But don't ever let your guard down.
I've been to iraq.... and it's no picnic. They really tie your hands there with the ROE and other political things......
But just keep situationally aware and keep up with your prayers and things should be alright...

Learn your rules, and remember them when your commanders are getting antsy..... They can help you out alot.... Don't let your higher ups send you someplace unprepared, or ill equiped.
DO YOUR MAINTINANCE!!!
On ALL of your equipment..... And when you clean your weapon, wipe all but the smallest amount of oil off. If you leave to much on there it has the chance of getting so fouled up that the bolt won't even ride forward again after being pulled.
If your unit uses vehicles, then make sure that you tell your superiors to start ordering extra spare parts NOW... So that you all will have them when everything begins to break down a few months after getting in country.
YOu will be issued camelbacks... But the ones that they issue you are kinda spare... they will hold two liters of water and hava a small outer pocket that would hold maybe an extra mag and that's about it.

Remember..... LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS. Don't talk about any of your operations or your locations either on the phone or computer.

If you have significant others, be aware of their feelings. Be very careful of what you say to them, and how you say it. Consider how they might take it, consider their feelings.

If you guys have any other questions contact me.
dexter.chavisjr@gmail.com

If you enjoyed reading about "Got some sobering news today..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!