Do you take more chances with CCW?

PDA

jsalcedo
March 25, 2003, 12:15 PM
When you are alone and carrying do you go places you wouldn't normally go?

Seedier parts of town when shopping for something..

Take a shortcut through an alley.

Fuel up at a quickie mart covered with bars, bullet holes
and grungy dudes drinking 40's of malt liquour?

Go out later and stay out later when visiting friends, dinner
errands?

Or any other place or circumstance that you wouldn't go before
you got CCW?

Is being armed a ticket to more freedom and less fear of strange
places ?

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you take more chances with CCW?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Chris Rhines
March 25, 2003, 12:19 PM
Hell no. You think I want to get in a gunfight?

A very wise man once told me, "Never go anywhere armed that you wouldn't feel comfortable going unarmed." Good advice.

- Chris

spacemanspiff
March 25, 2003, 12:23 PM
gee, yes, lets throw caution to the wind and disregard situational awareness simply because we have a boomstick strapped to our body!
:rolleyes:

Hemicuda
March 25, 2003, 12:29 PM
Are you crazy?

I don't go anywhere I wouldn't go unarmed... I just feel a bit safer in the places I DO go...

I HOPE I never need to use the gun... but that doesn't mean I donb't wanna carry it, butI also still avoid stupid places...

pax
March 25, 2003, 12:32 PM
No. Emphatically no. What Chris said.

However.

When armed, I feel considerably safer doing the things I have to do anyway even though I know they are dangerous. -- For instance, driving by myself at odd hours on errands that must be run. I'd do it anyway (I did do it anyway, for years). But it no longer gives me heartburn, just makes me be alert and cautious.

pax

Don't go stupid places. Don't hang out with stupid people. Don't do stupid things. -- John Farnam

Airwolf
March 25, 2003, 12:35 PM
Not a chance. It adds a level of confidence in normal situations like parking lots at night, but I'll be dipped if I would deliberately go somewhere I'd regard as blatantly unsafe just because I'm packing.

Mal H
March 25, 2003, 12:36 PM
No, less.

DMK
March 25, 2003, 12:49 PM
Assume that if you pull your gun, you go to jail. In most areas, that's probably not far from the truth.

So, you might want to avoid areas where needing it may be a possibility.

Or to put it another way:

Do you drive more recklessly because you are wearing seatbelts or have an airbag?

Do you get careless with matches because you have a fire extinguisher?

El Tejon
March 25, 2003, 01:04 PM
Wise man in Tejas saith, "avoidance is best.":) See also Hackathorn's First Law: don't go where you don't belong.

Unisaw
March 25, 2003, 01:12 PM
Absolutely not. If anything, carrying a firearm causes me to think more about places and situations before I enter them. However, I do find it comforting to be armed.

shermacman
March 25, 2003, 01:12 PM
Here in the Taxachusetts if you legitimately shoot someone you are arrested and your firearms confiscated. They may drop the charges and give you your weapons back but only after thousands of dollars in legal fees. And I guarantee that they if the prosecutor is edgy he will find something amiss in your collection of guns. Some paper work not filled out perfectly, your night stand piece without a trigger lock, magazine out, empty, ammo locked somewhere else, something, and then the trouble begins...

jsalcedo
March 25, 2003, 01:24 PM
[Do you drive more recklessly because you are wearing seatbelts or have an airbag?]

This has been tested and found to have some truth to it.

I as the original poster do not advocate taking more chances with CCW.

I do agree with pax :I feel safer and more confident in the places I have always gone but looking for trouble is a good way to get bitten.

I'm still waiting to see if anyone disagrees

Greg L
March 25, 2003, 01:35 PM
Nope, I try to stay away from places that might require it.

Greg

QuarterBoreGunner
March 25, 2003, 01:48 PM
Everything that I could say has pretty much already been said by all the previous posters. When I’m carrying (which is almost all the time) I tend to be MORE cautious. Funny, I was just thinking about this last night, but as CCW holder I’ve actually walked away from confrontations before they could escalate to the point of CODE: RED. I’ve had drunk idiots in the Mission District try and pick fights or just be obnoxious and crass. Hey, no problem, I’ll cross the street. They use foul language and make disparaging remarks. Again no problem. They want to think I’m a coward for avoiding them, that’s ok, because I know that I can defend myself and my loved ones, with lethal force if necessary. And they don't.

But do I fantasize about drawing my G30 and say, ‘get the hell out of my way, get a job, and watch your damn mouth’-

Oh yeah.

But I'm not that stupid.

foghornl
March 25, 2003, 01:49 PM
Can't carry in Ohio yet, but whne it happens, NO!

I still will not go into places I didn't go into before.

That is seriously looking for a major bite-in-the-butt.

megatronrules
March 25, 2003, 02:11 PM
uuumm no!
As a matter of fact I avoid even the slightest confrontation if I can. I never want to have to use my weapon. Not saying I wont if I had too, just wont go out of my way to be in a tight sp

CZ 75 BD
March 25, 2003, 02:26 PM
What Chris said. I don't go armed where I wouldn't go unarmed. The ability to defend myself is a human right, not a ticket for a thrill ride.:)

Ala Dan
March 25, 2003, 02:31 PM
Greeting's All-

I go where ever I please; or have to go to accomplish a
particular mission. I try to avoid places that I know are
down right dangerous; or that have a reputation for
being problem areas. Otherwise, everything seems to
be O.K.:uhoh:

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Bonker
March 25, 2003, 02:42 PM
I am FAR more cautious when I am CCW. The last thing in the world I want is an armed confrontation and, most especially, the lawsuits that would be sure to follow.

You think that scum's family won't sue you into extinction just because he was trying to rob you when you shot him?

Your brain is your best weapon. Avoidance is more important than anything.

Mike Irwin
March 25, 2003, 02:46 PM
I take fewer chances.

And I also find that I'm a lot more sedate when I'm out driving.

Stuff that used to set me off no longer does.

Alan Smithiee
March 25, 2003, 02:48 PM
I have pointed out to people time and again that when you carry you tend to go out of your way to avoid trouble. you walk away from things a lot more. you tend to keep a tighter grip on your temper.

of course, at least once a week I must terribly dissapoint Sarah Brady because I didn't loose it and shoot up someone in a fit of rage when they cut me off in traffic or fliped me off or act like a bozo....

cordex
March 25, 2003, 02:49 PM
Good <diety> no!

Standing Wolf
March 25, 2003, 02:55 PM
I'm not only not taking more risks, I've noticed myself keeping an eye out for speed limit signs, using my turn signals more frequently, stopping for yellow lights, et cetera.

Zundfolge
March 25, 2003, 02:57 PM
I find that I take less chances with my CCW piece, because if a bad situation escalates I may have to kill somebody.

Despite what the antis would have the sheeple believe, most of us gun owners really really DON'T want to have to kill somebody.

Ebbtide
March 25, 2003, 02:57 PM
Can't carry in Ohio yet, but whne it happens, NO!

Ditto, except that I will be taking the same "chances" I do now, only armed. Hopefully well have CCW by years end.

CZ-75
March 25, 2003, 03:02 PM
It costs too much money to go whistling past the graveyard.

I figure that, unless at home, it will cost me money to get processed by the system, even being in the right.

cool45auto
March 25, 2003, 03:30 PM
NO!

Jack19
March 25, 2003, 03:39 PM
No. I'm actually more careful about where I go when I'm carrying than when I am not. And as I'm never not (pardon my double negative) carrying, I'm careful about where I go all the time.

I don't think there are "good neighborhoods" and "bad neighborhoods" anymore. I think you can run into trouble just about anywhere.

Keep your head up, your demeanor professional, scan 360, and watch their hands. You'll be fine.

HABU
March 25, 2003, 10:11 PM
Like everyone else before, I am more cautious whilst packing.

I have a good friend that had a gramps that was a retired cop. Gramps was in his seventies when Watts was up in smoke and meyhem pervailed. He would put his S&W 29 next to the seat and go downtown hoping that some punk would make his day! :what: :D

45R
March 25, 2003, 10:20 PM
Chris summed it up pretty well!

Double Naught Spy
March 25, 2003, 10:24 PM
Do I take more chances with my CCW? Nope. That said, I am now much more aware of the risks associated with what I considered to be many of my normal pre-CCW activities.

Unlike many of the others, I don't know that I am less of a risk taker, however. I have not stopped most of my pre-CCW activities that I now know to be less than ideally safe. I do manage to address those activities with a much greater level of awareness and caution that previously I would not have done.

So, there are still midnight runs to the open 24 hour grocery store to grab a half gallon of my favorite ice cream should I have an ice cream emergency in the middle of the night. I go. I park away from other cars, am armed, have a Scorpion or Surefire, buy my ice cream, approach my car with caution. Get in and head home, careful to not have a wreck while getting out the first spoonfuls. Hey, I said it was an emergency. Emergencies aren't going to wait for me to get home before having a taste!

DeltaElite
March 25, 2003, 10:30 PM
Only a damn fool would take more chances due to being armed. :cool:

Charles S
March 25, 2003, 11:00 PM
No, and I am glad to see that is the concensus.

I am much more cautious when I carry. I have been working on that and trying to be cautious and live my life in condition yellow.

Charles

Drjones
March 25, 2003, 11:41 PM
Everyone else has said pretty much everything that could be said.

That said, is this question a joke or something?

:scrutiny:

Double Naught Spy
March 26, 2003, 10:47 AM
Drjones, a joke? No. There does seem to be a perception by many non-gun folks and some newer gun folks that carrying a gun will be empowering and so you are then able to do some things with a sense of security that otherwise you would not have without the gun. Most responsible gun folks realize that having a gun comes with a lot of consequences should you ever need it and they definitely don't want to be looking for trouble.

As an interesting contrast, however, there ARE numerous gun folks who have posted on how that would gladly act in a situation where the lives of others would be threatened and so they would whip out their trusty sidearms and handle things. As I recall, you actually had a post on TFL if gun folks would run to the help of others (http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=121875&highlight=defend ). Why that is so interesting is that those folks would never do such a thing unarmed and yet some are the ones who say they would not take more chances. Apparently, not taking more chances doesn't count when you have entered into hero mode or feel it is your obligation as a concealed carry person to protect the sheeple who either are anti-gun or who have opted NOT to carry a firearm for some reason.

While I enjoy reading the posts of CCW folks who save the day for others in situations where they were not themselves immediately in jeopardy before becoming a rescuer, I also find that some of the most informative stories are of would-be heroes that end up killed or seriously injured for their efforts and what makes these stories so informative is that they often reveal huge mistakes made by the would-be heroes, mistakes we never think we are going to make. The one that comes to mind is the guy in Arizona who was walking his dog and saw a mobile burger stand being hijcacked at a red light. He apparently ran forward, drawing his gun and may have fired into the mobile burger stand. While 'saving' the two occupants, he lost track of the fact that the hijackers arrived in a car and the driver of said car pulled around the burger stand and drove over the would-be hero. One of the hijackers claimed his gun and then shot him several times. Of course, we all can see that to be an effective hero, we must be a good shooter, have great reflexes, and have total situational awareness...only few of us will ever have all those abilities and very few of us will ever have them all at the same time. No doubt I probably won't ever have them all at the same time.

So check out your old thread and look at all the people who would jump right into a situation with a gun that no doubt that would not without one and compare that to here where so many say they don't engage in more risky activities as gun carriers.

bogie
March 26, 2003, 11:30 AM
I know a guy who habitually drives like he's a teenager in a stolen car...

I called him on it once (I was in the passenger seat, and darn near had to ask him to take me home for a change of clothing) and he told me not to worry - that he had insurance.

I _will not_ ride with him again. His insurance may pay for the hospital, but I'd rather not take the chance in the first place.

Logistar
March 26, 2003, 11:31 AM
Hmmm. I guess I am the odd ball here. I think the answer to the original question is YES for me.

No, I don't intentionally get myself into bad situations but here are some examples of how I go places I didn't go much before...

Star parties... this means travel home LATE at night - partially on rural roads. Should my vehicle break-down.....

I may go downtown to events more often now that I carry. I never had any serious problem downtown but I feel a little better if I am carrying.

Overall, I'd say that I go a few more places a LITTLE more often now that I carry because I feel a little better about my odds.

FWIW

Logistar

Country Boy
March 26, 2003, 11:40 AM
I probably take fewer chances when I'm armed. If there was a verbal confrontation and I was armed, I would definitely be walking away instead of making a deal out of it. I want to do as much as I can to avoid using lethal force.

Blackhawk
March 26, 2003, 11:45 AM
No.

FPrice
March 26, 2003, 11:51 AM
IMHO, the objective of CCW is NOT to allow you to take more chances, but rather to allow you to react to threats which may occur during your normal daily routine.

Remember, just because you may have a concealed weapon, that does not automatically make you bullet/knife/2x4 to the back of the head proof.

Jesse H
March 26, 2003, 11:55 AM
There are places I avoid when I CCW.

Bars, Post Offices, etc

Edward429451
March 26, 2003, 12:51 PM
My answer is no. I think the known presence of your CCW allows you to continue to think more clearly and give you more time to make decisions in a tight spot because it gives you more options than just running blindly into the night. This don't mean taking more chances out a false sense of confidence, it means maybe a couple extra seconds of clear thinking before the grip of fear gets you, so to speak. Options bring comfort and a clear head.

Why that is so interesting is that those folks would never do such a thing unarmed and yet some are the ones who say they would not take more chances. Apparently, not taking more chances doesn't count when you have entered into hero mode or feel it is your obligation as a concealed carry person to protect the sheeple who either are anti-gun or who have opted NOT to carry a firearm for some reason

(Oh, give me a break.):rolleyes:
How speculative and broad brushed can you get? Emotions can cloud the thinking process and you seem pretty emotional about this. Hero mode? I hear your sarcasm. Do you have a problem with a willingness to help out a fellow human being in need of assistance? It all stems on the gun huh? Pffft! A (perceived obligation) desire to jump in and help someone doesn't come from the gun, it comes from the heart. A gun simply gives you more options. It may help, it may not. Its not the decision maker though. (I'll do the best I can with what I have to work with at the time.) Period. Maybe they're a sheeple or an anti? So what. Thats them. I dont base my life or actions on what others are, that'd make me a Lemming. To deny someone help because of who or what they are or beleifs would make you worse than they are (and you find THEM contemptable?(sp)) Rise above that crap and be your own man, friend. I feel that if I died trying to save uh, say Sarah Brady, I'd be better off and a better man than if I walked away from her and let her die. Would you walk away muttering ha-ha's she's dead? That speaks highly (lowly) of your character. Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks. To each his own. :scrutiny:

Drjones
March 26, 2003, 12:55 PM
VERY well said, Edward.

Thank you.

Silver Bullet
March 26, 2003, 01:55 PM
if I died trying to save uh, say Sarah Brady, I'd be better off and a better man
Sarah Brady would certainly be better off. What about your family ? Are you going to trade the impact to your family when you get killed, or sued out of everything you own, to help ol' Sarah ?

There's something to be said for picking your battles.

Edward429451
March 26, 2003, 01:55 PM
Hey, thanks Drj!

I'm thinking clearly today. (Must be the gun! sic):D

jsalcedo
March 26, 2003, 01:56 PM
[Drjones Everyone else has said pretty much everything that could be said.
That said, is this question a joke or something?]

No. its not a joke.

Friends and relatives that know I have a CHL are always making comments like "well we can go here" since you have a gun

If I'm riding with one certain family member and he gets cut off
on the highway he wants me to flash a gun at them. No thanks!

I can take care of myself just fine, but when people think because I have a CCW they can do whatever stupid or careless thing they
want it makes me wonder about the whole attitude behind being armed.

Needless to say I tend to stay away from the folks or don't go places with the "friends" and relatives that are so gung ho about getting into a shootout
:fire: :fire:

braindead0
March 26, 2003, 02:08 PM
There's pretty much nowhere I won't go with or without a gun, when I lived in California I had a lot of friends that lived in and around bad areas of Compton, 'the valley', Long Beach and inland areas (Valenda, Upland, Watts).

I will not avoid a place just because it's "dangerous", that being said I usually planned my trips to maximize safety (daytime and the like). Fact is, worse problem I ever had in Compton was the police, they seem to get worried when there's a car load of white folks.

Edward429451
March 26, 2003, 02:34 PM
<Sarah Brady would certainly be better off. What about your family ? Are you going to trade the impact to your family when you get killed, or sued out of everything you own, to help ol' Sarah ?

There's something to be said for picking your battles.>

Thats a reasonably valid consideration, SB. All I can say is that, yes I would. A totally subjective determination on my part. I love my family very much and wouldn't want to leave them fatherless etc., but OTOH, what would my family think of me to turn from helping someone and they died from my inaction? Would I still have their respect? Could they still be proud of Daddy?

Do the families of our slain soldiers in Irac get on the tube and say I wish my son had gone AWOL instead? No, they say how proud they are of their sons sacrifice. They were trying to help and sadly, died trying.

Will slick Willie go down in history with good marks for dodging the draft and saving himself for his family? Is hillary proud of him?

I don't go looking for trouble. I am not Charles Bronson. I pray to God that I never have to make those decisions, or use deadly force. I must retain my faith that the Lord will not put that cup before me. But if he does, I also must have faith that the Lord will care for my family if I die trying to help. Some things are bigger than family. Some things are bigger than country. Refraining from action in the face of fear is cowardice. Action despite fear is bravery. The Lords will be done.

KMKeller
March 26, 2003, 02:34 PM
Honestly no, but I do feel safer in some of the places I have to go.

cratz2
March 26, 2003, 02:36 PM
Nope... not at all. A gun doesn't encourage me to take paths I otherwise wouldn't. It just gives me added confidence through my normal daily routine.

P95Carry
March 26, 2003, 03:03 PM
I too feel no ''special advantage'' ....... just because i carry. Thus - I sure would not go looking for hazardous places just for that reason. I will always stear away from potential trouble but would admit to a slight increase in my ''comfort factor'' when carrying in a few places, late at night for example when unavoidable.

I feel a sense of quite awesome responsibility thru carry .... as we all should IMO ... and that further leads me to wish pretty fervently that I never have to draw and use ........ maybe at worst no more than a ''threat'' showing to save the day.

So - more chances?? No way.

MJRW
March 26, 2003, 03:03 PM
No. However, when I have to go to places I wouldn't want to go normally, I do tend to pack a larger piece.

Drjones
March 26, 2003, 03:14 PM
No. its not a joke.

Friends and relatives that know I have a CHL are always making comments like "well we can go here" since you have a gun

Oh.

Sorry. My apologies.

In your initial post, it sounded like you were asking the question based on your own behavior. (Or wanting to modify it to take more chances!) :eek:

Anyhow, your friends/family clearly aren't aware of the finer points (or I guess a main point) of carrying.

The rest of your post that I took the above quote from sheds a lot of light. Thanks.

When people tell you to brandish at someone over a traffic incident, you should really do the both of you a favor and sit them down and have an honest conversation about it.

You should have a frank, honest talk with all your friends/family who say stuff like that, because, IMO, they could probably get you and them killed or injured if a situation arose in which you truly had to use your weapon.

"Oooh! Oooh!! Get out your gun, jsalcedo!!! My buddy's got a gun, he don't take no guff!"

You get the point.

OTOH, situations like you are experiencing is EXACTLY why I do NOT tell people I carry. (That and the fact that anyone who likes *gasp* GUNS in Kommiefornia may as well be bin laden himself. :rolleyes: )

Anyhow, good luck and thanks for explaining.

Sorry if I was rude earlier.

Drjones

Drjones
March 26, 2003, 03:18 PM
To answer your original question:

No, I most definitely do NOT take more chances.

I do not go anyplace I wouldn't normally go, nor do things I wouldn't normally do.

And, much like most people here, if anything, I take LESS "chances" and "risk." (Not that I take that many as is...)

Basically, my life is the same.

It is criminals who should change THEIR lives, NOT ME.

I do, however, feel safer going about my daily life.

I just like knowing that I can take care of my own.

To echo what someone said above, when I am in more comfortable clothes, I usually carry the G30 instead of my G27.

:D

That's about it.

MeekandMild
March 26, 2003, 03:21 PM
No. My job is dangerous enough as it is. I try to stay away from trouble.:uhoh:

Trisha
March 26, 2003, 04:49 PM
Nothing has changed for me. I conduct my life exactly the same as before.

DoubleNaughtSpy - I reacted to defend another before I was armed without hesitation, and I would do so now with exactly the same focus and commitment to stopping the threat presented by goblins apon their victim.

This time I'd take head shots, instead of smashing knees and dislocating elbows while sustaining serious injury to myself.

Trisha

Shoeless
March 26, 2003, 04:59 PM
Nope. I do the same stuff I used to do, and I don't go anywhere carrying that I wouldn't go NOT carrying. I just feel safer if I'm in a situation now that may make me nervous...

For example, a group of friends went to see a concert downtown. We parked several blocks away from the venue and had to walk at night to the arena and then back at a late hour. I was nervous about it but extra alert. The only difference now is that before carrying, I would have been MORE nervous about it.

Shoeless

Hardtarget
March 26, 2003, 10:57 PM
No, I intentially try to stick to the safe route. I'm more aware and observant/cautious. I even try to drive "better" hoping I don't trigger any road rage pointed my direction. I just want to do my daily thing and go home. That makes "Momma" happy...
and after 30 years of marriage, I like to keep "Momma" happy! :D I live in East Nashville and I've managed to get to this point in my life without an incident so far, and concidering what goes on around here, thats a real achievement.
Mark.

Study Butte
March 27, 2003, 11:40 AM
I am more cautious. I try to avoid areas and situations that could be problematic.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you take more chances with CCW?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!