Is it legal for me to go shoot down in the woods?

PDA

ruger270man
August 24, 2005, 01:50 PM
in PA, public land, which is open to hunting?
i just want to go shoot some targets

If you enjoyed reading about "Is it legal for me to go shoot down in the woods?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tall Man
August 24, 2005, 01:54 PM
You'll find that it's best to limit your shooting to approved (i.e., designated) shooting ranges on PA State Game Lands. Do not load more than 3 rounds in a rifle magazine, and do not load more than six rounds when shooting your pistol.

TM

Polishrifleman
August 24, 2005, 02:27 PM
I don't know about PA but it is completely fine in Washington. Remember the rules especially number 4 (when on public land) and please pack out more than you packed in. There is nothing worse than leaving an area after scouting, driving, camping, etc... and seeing brass, targets, and general garbage laying around.

AirForceShooter
August 24, 2005, 03:48 PM
where in PA?

AFS

Henry Bowman
August 24, 2005, 03:56 PM
Is it legal for me to go shoot down in the woods? If the down is still connected to a duck or a goose, you better have one of them huntin' licenses like John Kerry. :D

musher
August 24, 2005, 04:05 PM
If the down is still connected to a duck or a goose, you better have one of them huntin' licenses like John Kerry

I think you misunderstood him. I believe he's planning to shoot out of a helicopter.

Preacherman
August 24, 2005, 04:05 PM
Henry, you are a bad boy! Repeat after me - I shall not make worse jokes than Preacherman! :D

Rexrider
August 24, 2005, 04:46 PM
ruger270man,

Are you of Pennsylvania Dutch decent? Sorry, I have to ask because only PA Dutch would say "down in the woods". I know because I am PA Dutch also.

I was born and raised in the Reading Area. I used to go down in the woods to target shoot back when I was 18. But that was a long time ago and times have changed. Not too mention the wooded areas are a lot smaller now. I don't know what part of PA you are in but if you are close to residential areas, don't do it.

One thing I was tought never to do was to go shooting in the woods during dear season. One: you will pi..err....upset hunters by making noise. Two: Stray bullets from said hunters. Three, don't get caught in woods with a firearm and no dear tags. Althought technically not illegal, the Game Wardens will like to ask you a lot of questions and wonder what the heck you are doing there and will not be friendly about it.

I guess this post was not much help for you. I have never heard it to be illegal to shoot in the woods as long as you are far enough away from cities, towns, etc. I just don't know how far away is enough.

Now, go throw the cow over the fense some hay :neener:

gunner03
August 24, 2005, 05:14 PM
Check your local regs. We have management areas that are open for hunting but not to target shooting.Call the DNR and ask,they may tell you were to go.(They might even tell you where you can shoot!)

ruger270man
August 24, 2005, 05:54 PM
I got a chance to go to the range today, so it wasn't a problem! :D

acdodd
August 24, 2005, 06:04 PM
Polishrifleman
You are correct about shooting in the woods in Washington State.
Except King County
No shooting allowed except at an approved gun range or while hunting in an open area.
It may be technically illegal to shoot in King County even in self-defense but so far they will not prosecute you for that.
Give the Seattle liberal time and they will try.
AC

Majic
August 24, 2005, 08:20 PM
Sorry, I have to ask because only PA Dutch would say "down in the woods".
Yall must have sum transplanted southerners in ya then. :D

geekWithA.45
August 24, 2005, 08:25 PM
There's a lot of towns with ordinances that prohibit "gunning".

You see the signs when you roll into town, "No gunning in XYZ township"

Fortunately, these mostly tend to be towns you'd not be able to responsibly shoot in anyway.

justbrewit
August 25, 2005, 01:45 AM
Maybe this will help you. It's a link to all pa's public ranges provided by the state.
http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=480&q=161297

As far as just going into the woods and shooting, I can't help you there, sorry.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is it legal for me to go shoot down in the woods?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!