Ruger Service Six in .357

PDA

cookekdjr
August 24, 2005, 04:02 PM
What do you think about this gun? I found a Service Six, excellent condition, 4" barrel in .357 for $225 OTD. What do you think of this revolver? Accuracy/reliability/design/overall?
Thanks,

David

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Service Six in .357" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
goon
August 24, 2005, 04:04 PM
Can't say for that model in particular but I have a Security Six that is built like a tank. I like it.
I wouldn't have any doubts about buying another Security Six, or a Speed Six or Service Six.

dasmi
August 24, 2005, 04:06 PM
I've got one just like that. I love mine. Buy it, you won't be dissappointed.

EShell
August 24, 2005, 04:14 PM
I have one and like it, nice, simple, rugged gun - go for it.

slick6
August 24, 2005, 04:21 PM
1)The Service-Six is exactly the same gun as a Security-Six(Except for having the "Fixed" sights). And, other than barrel length(And, for the round butt, on the Speed-Six)all of the Ruger revolvers are mechanically identical!

2)All of the above "Six-Series" revolvers, are very accurate, tough as nails, and(Except for not having quite as good of a trigger pull, as certain S&W's)are just excellent revolvers! They are very strong-and, can shoot .357 magnum ammo(On a regular basis!)without any problems!

3)This is what I think of your Service-Six(Especially, since you found it-before I did!) :what: :banghead: :eek: !

mokster
August 24, 2005, 05:36 PM
Id get it ,my friend has a speed 6 which Id love to buy at that price.

tbeb
August 24, 2005, 05:39 PM
I have 2--one is blue and has a 4" barrel; the other is stainless and has a 2 3/4" barrel. The blue gun is stock, and in excellent condition. Some Ruger double action triggers are a little heavy, but the 4" has one that is a close 2nd to a Smith & Wesson. I paid $210. The stainless gun is in excellent conditon, and had some custom work--polished finish, 8-pound double action trigger pull, and a lime green front sight insert. I paid $230-$260. Neither shot to point of aim at 7 yds. with .38 special 125, 148, or 158 gr. bullets. I filed down the front sight on the 4". I can't shoot better than 2" groups at 7 yds., but that's 'cos my eyes aren't what they used to be. They are great guns. If you're okay with fixed sights, then the one you're looking at should be just fine.

Charles S
August 24, 2005, 06:10 PM
If you don't mind a fixed sight revolver, I think you will be very pleased. They, generally, are very well made guns.

If I ran across a deal like that I would not let it pass.

Charles

Dienekes
August 27, 2005, 02:21 AM
My agency used quite a few Speed Sixes and as a firearms officer/instructor I got very familiar with them Carried my own Service/Security Sixes for many years and took the armorer's course on them. Last time I counted I think I had around seven of various formats. (I just want to make sure that my family and I never run short.)

Put it this way--if you can find a better gun anywhere near the price, buy it.

Quite a few people, including me, think they were the best working DA revolvers ever made.

slick6
August 27, 2005, 02:32 AM
AMEN! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :neener:

JamisJockey
August 27, 2005, 11:41 AM
Buy it. I've got a Security Six, 2 3/4" .357
Built like a tank, accurate, reliable. Great gun.
Good price, too.

Woody_in_MN
August 27, 2005, 02:53 PM
Buy it. If its 80% or better its a good deal. I bought the same gun about a week ago for about the same money. its a deal.

- w

Dave Markowitz
August 28, 2005, 10:21 PM
An excellent condition Service Six is worth $225, IMO. I paid about that for a stainless Service Six .357 around a year ago. It's my curent bedside gun, loaded with Winchester .38 Special 158 grain LSWCHP +Ps.

The Ruger *Six revolvers are a bit more robust than S&W K-Frames, but not as strong as their replacements, the GP-100s. They are lighter than the GP-100s, though.

A very nice thing about the *Six guns is that they are designed for easy takedown for maintenance. Also no matter if the gun has a blued or stainless finish, the internals are stainless.

Depending upon how much it's been shot/dry-fired, the Service Six may have a decent trigger, or it may need some work. RON in PA used to have a Security Six (same gun w/adjustable sights) that he (a) shot and dry-fired the snot out of, and (b) put a Wolff spring kit in. It had a very slick action. My Service Six isn't that good ... yet.

albanian
August 28, 2005, 11:00 PM
:D Is it SS or blued? At that price either would be a good deal but SS would make it a better deal IMHO. I like Ruger SS revolvers but only like S&Ws in blue. I don't think the ruger blue nearly as nice as the S&W. The triggers on the Six series are good but not like some nice S&W triggers I have had. The accuracy is also quite good but not up to a good S&W IMO.

I have had 2 4" Speed Sixes in .357 (one blued and one SS), a 2 3/4" SS 9mm Speed Six, a SS Security Six and a older thin bbl GP-100. Without a doubt my favorite one has been the 4" SS Speed Six. I have sold or traded all the others except for the GP-100 which I have customized to be a 2 1/2" snubby. It is like a Bulldog it is so fat and stocky and cool. :D

If it is SS, get some rubber Hogues, if it is blue, get some wood Hogues. that is how I roll. SS with rubber or blued with wood.

For a defense revolver, there is no gun I pick over my SpeedSix. Reliabilty 100%, combat accuracy great.

dogngun
August 29, 2005, 08:04 AM
I have 2 'Sixes, a 2 3/4" Speed and a 6" blue Security Six. They are the best, and prices are starting to rise. Buy it now.

Mark

Working Man
August 30, 2005, 10:28 PM
+1 for the buy... I would, they're good guns.
um... er... what city was that in again? :D

honkeoki
August 31, 2005, 04:51 PM
I picked up a Service Six for cheap. It's been completely relaible and I would highly recommend them. Hopefully, it's stainless.

Keep in mind that SOG has GP100s in stainless for $229 (w/free holster and speed-loader).

Check Ebay for Pachmayr grips dirt-cheap. Also, the latest CDNN catalogue has oversized wooden finger-groove grips for about $10.

I tried to re-blue my Six with an at-home cold-bluing kit and now it looks like it's been through a house fire. I'm so friggin cheap...

NYNCO
March 25, 2006, 12:43 AM
Im a New York State Court Officer. I was talking to a guy at work about the Smith & Wesson 686 + i had just bought for $479.00. And he tell's me he has a Ruger service six .357 he wants to sell. He let me have for $50.00 along with a holster and a speed loader. What a buy i cant wait to shoot the thing.:)

Bob F.
March 25, 2006, 08:29 PM
NYNCO: That's a FELONY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SMWBO has Speed-six snubby .38Spl. (NOT .357) Stoned action, Wolff springs and Badger boot grips (walnut). It danged sure ain't an airweight! but a heck of a gun!

I'd love to find a Service-six 4" .357 for a woods gun. Only seen 1 used Six gun in this area for sale.

Stay safe.
Bob

NYNCO
March 26, 2006, 03:20 AM
I also had a different officer offer to sell me a stainless steel S&W snubnose .38 for around $50.00, If you want i will talk to him for you. I don't know where you live so i don't Know if it would be a problem.:)

Bob F.
March 26, 2006, 10:28 PM
NYOCO: I'm in WV so would require shippng to FFL. Not really a problem. But grab it for future trade if you're not interested. Can't go wrong. Have LEO run an NCIC check to be sure it's not "hot": $10,000 fine IRRC. Anything I don't buy from FFL gets NCIC.

Thanks anyway.
Bob

p35
March 27, 2006, 09:57 PM
NYNCO:

Buy the S&W snubbie- if you don't like it I'll give you double the $50 price sight unseen.

NYNCO
March 31, 2006, 10:35 PM
I must be old school : I carry a Glock 19 with a 15 round mag and one in the pipe on the job. But i love and would rather carry my Ruger service six but can't. I dont know what it is, the triger reset on the glock or the slide action of the automatic. But i shoot much better with the revolver always have.

Sixshotz
August 9, 2009, 02:15 AM
The Service Six are indeed Excellent Revolvers, plenty of power, durability &
Accuracy. I did pay $400 for mine, Brand New in a box...ehh.

Chrome, halo tips with rubber grip...Love it!

smee781
August 9, 2009, 05:20 AM
Cant go wrong with a price like 225 I'd get it all day long.

4v50 Gary
August 9, 2009, 02:04 PM
$50 for a Ruger SS plus holster? That's a steal! BTW, $225 for a Ruger Speed Six is also a very good buy. Them thar's 1976 prices.

MADDOG
August 9, 2009, 06:56 PM
The Ruger "SIXES" are going for $400 around here. Grab it and don't look back.

RUT
August 9, 2009, 07:29 PM
>>Cant go wrong with a price like 225 I'd get it all day long.<<

Guys, you do realize this thread is 4 years old don't you? :p

smee781
August 10, 2009, 01:00 PM
No I did not notice the date of the thread, sixshotz had done it.....blame him....I just saw it in the revolver section.:D:D

xlrsgsw
May 7, 2010, 05:28 PM
I am a new member and i came across discussion on ruger pistol 9mm. I have a ruger speed--six in 9mm cal 2 3/4 inch .Have had it for years and reload for it. Great gun.:):);)

xlrsgsw
May 7, 2010, 05:31 PM
I have speed--six 9mm great gun.

dgvc63
November 11, 2010, 07:05 PM
Wonderful weapon... you can't go wrong... check the lock up and if it's like most Rugers it will last a lifetime or two... 4" Blue from the mid 70's is my everyday trusty dusty

357 Terms
November 12, 2010, 08:33 AM
When I look back at the prices some of these revolvers were goin for as recent as 5 years ago I kick myself for not buyin a truckload

RUT
November 12, 2010, 10:06 AM
Yes, for once in my life I'd like to have extra money and forethought at the same time!! :p

funkeecowboy
November 12, 2010, 06:34 PM
Apparently I need to go buy a lotto ticket because I've picked up a 2 3/4" Speed Six and a 4" Security Six this week for under $500 together.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Service Six in .357" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!