Would you carry during a Wake/Funeral?

PDA

Rockrivr1
August 24, 2005, 10:58 PM
I had to attend a wake tonight for my Fiance's uncle. She was very close to him as were a LOT of people. The line at the wake was out the door and down the street for close to three hours. As I've indicated recently I just started to CCW and I was carrying a 642 in a Rosen IWB Tuckable holster. I was wearing a dress shirt over it tucked into Dockers. The problem is that there were so many people standing and sitting all over the place that several times I noticed someone looking at the small bulge on my hip when I was standing up and they were sitting down. Not to mention that people were bumping into each other all over the place. I must of been bumped right on my CCW at least 10 different times. No one said anything, but I'm pretty sure a number of people figured it out.

Now, I'm not to comfortable carrying tomorrow during the funeral. I will be wearing a suit tomorrow so it will be hidden better, but I wonder if the ones that noticed will be looking or not. You know the old saying of they told two friend who told two friends. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

Hummmmm, what do you think?

If you enjoyed reading about "Would you carry during a Wake/Funeral?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GregGry
August 24, 2005, 11:06 PM
When I become a cop, I will either have my firearm on the side holster, or concealed, everywere I go. If it means I am at my own wedding packing, or at a funeral so be it. Since my family knows I am going to be a cop, its a little bit diffrent, they expect me to be carrying when I visit. As a normal civilian, it might be diffrent, especially if your family has a bunch of anit gun people. Some people might take it as a lack of respect, but I don't think thats the case.

JamisJockey
August 24, 2005, 11:10 PM
People have so many gadgets these days (PDA's, cells, pagers), that an inadvertant bump isn't usually going to out ya.
Also, why do you carry? To protect yourself from people who wish to do you harm? You can encounter those people at any time in your life. On the way to the funeral, coming out of the funeral home...

GregGry
August 24, 2005, 11:12 PM
Also, why do you carry? To protect yourself from people who wish to do you harm? You can encounter those people at any time in your life. On the way to the funeral, coming out of the funeral home... Yes my thoughts exactly. Idiots can be found everywhere, why take chances?

Taurus 66
August 24, 2005, 11:20 PM
Also, why do you carry? To protect yourself from people who wish to do you harm? You can encounter those people at any time in your life. On the way to the funeral, coming out of the funeral home...

Go to a funeral unarmed; pay your respects; leave the funeral home; get confronted by a madman; get killed; back in you go.

ExtremeDooty
August 24, 2005, 11:29 PM
As I've indicated recently I just started to CCW

Being new to carrying, it's more than likely that the people you thought were looking at your CCW and figuring it out, were doing no such thing and had no idea or were even thinking about your CCW. You were probably the only one thinking about it and inferring way too much from their "looks." Anyone that did figure it out was probably carrying too.

Just keep wearing it and you'll get used to it. And keep in mind that you are not doing anything wrong or illegal.

The Freeholder
August 24, 2005, 11:32 PM
Nothing. Illegal to CC in NC at funerals. Beats me why, though. Of course, a lot of the places we're prohibited from carrying beat me.

justice4all
August 24, 2005, 11:48 PM
24/7

GregGry
August 24, 2005, 11:53 PM
^ What about in a hot tub.. Or do you have a glock? :D ;)

rick_reno
August 24, 2005, 11:57 PM
I carry ALL the time, except where prohibited by law.

P95Carry
August 25, 2005, 12:02 AM
Would I carry!? You bet your sweet bippy!!

I can and will carry 16/7 unless debarred by legal impositions.

Thus I will attend a funeral, a wake, a wedding, a christening - anything - and I WILL be carrying. if I have to downsize to what might be BUG I will but one way or another, I WILL have on my person - a gun!!

For me carry is commitment - total - which means all times all places I legally can - and I make no apologies! :)

Standing Wolf
August 25, 2005, 12:10 AM
I believe my life and property are worth defending even at funerals.

shield20
August 25, 2005, 12:35 AM
You should carry whenever you can. Nothing about carrying a gun ANYWHERE should be seen as disrespectful. As others said, you will probably realize soon enough that most people don't notice anything. IF people do realize more people are carrying, and are responsible, normal, etc., maybe more people will get used to the idea - then we can be more comfortable too!

And besides - you are wearing a suit - nice EASY concealment!

carebear
August 25, 2005, 12:53 AM
Another assurance that even the bumpers were 90% oblivious.

Heck, you can go most of a day open carrying without most people noticing. :rolleyes:

Azrael256
August 25, 2005, 12:55 AM
Didn't you see Hot Shots? Carry everywhere, especially at funerals.

chris in va
August 25, 2005, 12:56 AM
At some point you'll probably want to get a mousegun for situations like that. Normally I carry my CZ 75, but when discretion is called for the P11 gets put in the IWB.

Ditto what ExtremeDooty said, most if not all people don't give it a second thought, and if they did, it would take a 6th thought for them to say something.

chaim
August 25, 2005, 01:14 AM
If you live in a CCW state and have a permit (or you live someplace like VT or AK that don't require a permit) I only see three reasons/times not to carry.

First would be when/where the law doesn't allow it. If your state has limitations on where and when to carry, don't carry someplace not allowed. Don't carry when out of state in a state where they won't let you carry.

The second is when a friend or family member, or a store, says "no guns". Most of us seem to believe in property rights judging from threads on things like the recent eminent domain case from the Supreme Court. Part of property rights is saying what you do and don't want kept off your property. I certainly expect a visitor to not bring a ham sandwich and to definately keep it far away from my kitchen and dining room, and if it is my place that is a valid expectation. I'm not saying you don't have a right to complain to your friend/family member or the store manager, and you certainly have the right to refuse to go there and tell the person why. However, they have every right to say "no guns" on their property and if you choose to go you should honor the property owner's rights and wishes.

The last reason, and I suspect the least encountered, is if your religion bans guns in certain situations. Now I'm not talking about the neighborhood church or synagogue you go to bans carrying (that falls under the private property/property rights situation- with an additional consideration that it is a congregation, almost a club, that you choose to and pay to join and are essentially a part owner in). What I'm talking about is if the tenents of your religion ban carry on the sabbath, or on "holy ground" (church/synagogue/mosque, cemetaries, ground where your religion claims a miracle occurred, etc.) or even at all (like the Quakers). If your religion has something like this and you feel strongly enough about self-defense as to carry anyway when/where the religion bans it, you may want to reconsider if this really is the religion for you (if you are willing to throw the requirements of your religion away in one area, how strongly do you really believe in it?).

Unless the funeral falls into the last catagory or the funeral home bans carry, I don't see this falling into any of my catagories so I would say to carry. I don't consider carrying to a funeral to be disrespectful, and you never know when you will be accosted.

Blue Jays
August 25, 2005, 02:01 AM
Hi Greg-Posted by GregGry
"...When I become a cop, I will either have my firearm on the side holster, or concealed, everywere I go. As a normal civilian, it might be different, especially if your family has a bunch of anti-gun people..." Just a little clarification to point out that you will still be regarded as a normal civilian when you become a police officer. You would need to be in the Armed Forces in order to be a non-civilian. That is the only way to have that particular designation.

Rockrvr1, you're probably feeling a bit "exposed" with regard to your new carry firearm, but I seriously doubt people noticed it. As mentioned before, things like cellular phones, PDAs, insulin pumps, pagers, and a variety of other utilitarian devices are so common that any lump or bulge is very acceptable and easily explained away.

~ Blue Jays ~

Strings
August 25, 2005, 02:19 AM
heh... a LONG time ago (when I was younger and MUCH more foolish), I carried constantly: even at my aunt's funeral. Which led to an interesting discussion at the luncheon afterward, when one uncle, two of my cousins, dad and I started comparing what we were packin'...

Texian Pistolero
August 25, 2005, 02:30 AM
Huh?

Wah?

Why is this even posted?

If I don't need to carry, then I will not.

(Otherwise, what is the question?)

I am confused.

Husker1911
August 25, 2005, 03:08 AM
Rockrivr, if you were being detected, you might need to reconsider things. I live in one of the four states that doesn't recognize a citizen's Second amendment right. I still carry frequently, but from necessity, have often scaled my carry piece down to a Keltec P32. It's nearly undetectable, and I've carried it into places you might not believe. But in my state, I'm forced to conceal as much from LEOs as from anyone else. Given a chance, I'd probably increase my chosen carry caliber, but I must truly go incognito. But then, isn't it called concealed carry?

BTW, I load my .32ACP with FMJs. I believe you're fooling yourself if you expect a .32 HP to expand. I'll depend upon more reliable functioning and increased penetration FMJs offer.

GregGry
August 25, 2005, 03:22 AM
Just a little clarification to point out that you will still be regarded as a normal civilian when you become a police officer. You would need to be in the Armed Forces in order to be a non-civilian. That is the only way to have that particular designation. I am sorry, I was using that more because the police in my state can CCW, and non LE can't. :o So I am not in the class of a normal civilian when it comes to firearms and CCW.. I hope the ccw laws change however.

Texian Pistolero
August 25, 2005, 03:36 AM
This is a really stupid question.

Frankly,

I don't get it.

If you want to carry,

and can carry legally,

then do so.

If not,

do not.

What am I missing here?

Husker1911
August 25, 2005, 03:46 AM
Texian, please see my (just) above post. I can't carry legally, in my state. Still, I believe my life is worth as much as yours or a law enforcement officer's . Gee, you and him can carry concealed. Excuse me, isn't my life worth just as much?

Moonclip
August 25, 2005, 04:48 AM
Carry, you do not have a crystal ball and can not predict what may happen in the future. Guns are rarely needed but when they are, they are needed quite badly. A friend of mine actualy just died, I'll be attending the funeral next week, as he was almost as much of a gun nut as I, it almost be an insult for me not to carry at the funeral! This guy did everywhere, weather or not it was legal and I always kind of admired him for it in a strange sort of way.

yesterdaysyouth
August 25, 2005, 09:09 AM
sounds like an excuse to buy a shoulder rig to me...

or at least that's what i did... :D

GRB
August 25, 2005, 09:26 AM
This is a really stupid question.Actually it was a valid question by a person new to carrying a gun who was experiencing a feeling not to uncommon among such folks. He probably felt awkward carrying at the funeral, and his probably 'imagined' discovery by other funeral goers just goes to show how much so he felt that way. It is a normal kind of feeling for a new gun owner, or a person new to carrying, to feel that way at least a little bit. Your remark about it being a stupid question, on the other hand, was pretty rude, crude and, uncalled for. Funny how everyone else thought it a good enough question which deserved a respectable answer.

regards,
Glenn B

Souris
August 25, 2005, 09:30 AM
Guns are like parachutes for pilots.

If you need one, and you don't have one ,you probably wont need one again.

That said, I carried at my wedding, I carry at funerals. The only funeral that I will not carry at is mine (if I'm carrying at MY funeral I'm gonna haunt somebody for throwing away a perfectly good pistol!).

thatguy
August 25, 2005, 10:49 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that some of these concealed carry questions a just a little silly? I've seen posts about packing at ball games, business meetings, nudist camps, national monuments, bathrooms, walk-in freezers, ships and more.

Is there really a serious chance of being attacked at a funeral?

buzz_knox
August 25, 2005, 11:48 AM

Let's see.

1. The death of a loved one is one of the most traumatic events possible in one's life;

2. Trauma tends to lead to an increase in any existing tensions and the reduced inhibition against irresponsible behavior;

3. Funerals bring together people who often haven't seen each other for some time, and can be the only occasion where people who would not otherwise be in the same room with one another will force themselves to do so.

Yes, there is a very real chance of being attacked at a funeral.

I've seen posts about packing at ball games, business meetings, nudist camps, national monuments, bathrooms, walk-in freezers, ships and more.

Never been to a nudist camp so couldn't say. I still have bowel movements when carrying so I've got to say that's a legitimate issue. Many restaurant workers have been murdered after being herded into a freezer so that one's good too. I've carred aboard ship so I've got to say that's legit (especially considering how much crime takes place on cruises). I don't go to ball games much but there have been enough attacks at them to justify carrying if you choose to go. And I've had to grab a metal trash can while attending a deposition and prepare to defend the attorney when a plaintiff started singing the praises of an attempted murderer while coming out of his chair. So, I'll go for business meetings being a real concern as well.

geekWithA.45
August 25, 2005, 12:46 PM
All kinds of wierd stuff comes out at funerals.

In "polite society" it usually manifests itself as some sort of snarky talking behind the back cliqueyness.

In less than polite society, all bets are off.

I've seen it firsthand, my wife's side of the extended family tends towards the thuggish and felonious.

A petty argument over a $300 cold cut post service luncheon nearly lead to bloodshed.

Nuff said.

(Her mom and dad aren't as bad...more like rogueish and misdemeanorish. The wife herself is entirely different: the first and only person in her family to graduate high school, and proceeded to graduate college and get a master's.)

motoman
August 25, 2005, 12:50 PM
Would you carry during a Wake/Funeral?

I have carried, and will continue to carry at funerals and wakes. You never know when you will need your gun.

Andrew Rothman
August 25, 2005, 01:03 PM
I carried at my brother's wedding, the birth of my two children, my last trip to the beach with the kids....

Well, maybe it would be easier to list the times in the last two years I haven't carried:

Getting fingerprinted at the county jail (for my Florida CCW :neener: ) Paying a ticket at the county courthouse (there's a court order prohibiting carry) Visiting the post office (Once. I now use a post office desk at a supermarket) Once I ran to the neighborhood pharmacy, and I forgot to strap on. It was weird, but somehow I made it home alive.

Yup, that's it.

I agree with P95Carry's philosophy: It's too much dang trouble to decide when to carry, so I carry all the time.

Sam Adams
August 25, 2005, 01:04 PM
I'd advise you to carry. I just carried my 642 to a wedding, and I've carried it to funerals and to Sabbath services on a regular basis. As others have said, you never know when you're going to need it, and it is far better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

By the way, why don't you carry the 642 in your pocket? I do that exclusively (its the very reason for getting that gun, so that I can carry in the long, hot Texas summer without wearing a jacket or having my shirt untucked). I have an Uncle Mike's pocket holster, which works very well - without fail, I can pull the gun out and the holster stays in the pocket. It costs less than $15 (around $8 from Midway, if you've got a C&R license). It is barely noticeable, and all that someone thinks is that you've got something in your pocket - they don't know what.

Being new to carrying, it's more than likely that the people you thought were looking at your CCW and figuring it out, were doing no such thing and had no idea or were even thinking about your CCW. You were probably the only one thinking about it and inferring way too much from their "looks." Anyone that did figure it out was probably carrying too.

Just keep wearing it and you'll get used to it. And keep in mind that you are not doing anything wrong or illegal

+1. Everyone new to CCW thinks about it constantly, until they done it enought that it becomes second nature. Most people don't even know that it is legal to carry, so they don't expect - or think about - what you're doing.

Vern Humphrey
August 25, 2005, 01:05 PM
I have carried, and will continue to carry at funerals and wakes. You never know when you will need your gun.

If I had a crystal ball I could look into and know that TODAY I wouldn't be involved in an automobile accident, I wouldn't bother to fasten my seat belt. If I could know that THIS YEAR there will be no fire, storm damage and so on to my house, I wouldn't pay an insurance premium.

And if I could look into that crystal ball know that I wouldn't need it, I'd leave my gun at home.

But I don't have a crystal ball. So I carry everywhere, every day.

Amish_Bill
August 25, 2005, 01:08 PM
Ordered a special tuckable from Tucker Holster for this specific reason when my grandmother died last year.

Greg L
August 25, 2005, 01:20 PM
As I've indicated recently I just started to CCW ..... that several times I noticed someone looking at the small bulge on my hip

No they weren't. The first month that you carry is spent in extreme paranoia mode where everyone without a doubt knows that you are carrying a pistol. They don't. As was mentioned most people wouldn't even notice if you open carried.

Oh one more thing, it isn't going to fall out of the holster & it isn't dragging your pants down off your hips - QUIT PLAYING WITH IT :neener: .

It will get better in a little while, you just have to go through that same stage that everyone else has at first :D .

MAURICE
August 25, 2005, 01:22 PM
I recently got my CHL and have been carrying out in public. I thought people were sheep before. Now I see it with all new eyes. No one notices. Even when a little bit of the muzzle end of the holster accidentally becomes exposed (Colt 1991a1 in a Safariland paddle covered with a long shirt) while reaching for that item on the top shelf at Wally World.

P95Carry
August 25, 2005, 01:24 PM
Is there really a serious chance of being attacked at a funeral? Sorry to further use this quote!

Is there really a way to guarantee you will not be attacked at a funeral?

Odds are probably similar to winning ''the big one'' on the lottery - but also one has to travel to and from such an event too.

Like Vern - if I had total precognition I'd probably save myself a loada cash on insurance and - have the ability to know all the times that I could be free of my carry piece.

Haven't found the secret yet :)

Taurus 66
August 25, 2005, 01:33 PM
It is better to have and not need than to need and not have. ;)

TonyB
August 25, 2005, 02:21 PM
You'd be crazy not to carry at a funeral..everyone knows the ZOMBIES live in the basement of funeral homes :uhoh:
Seriously though,this is a good question....I'll be in a similar situation sooner than later..my Grandmother is dying in a nursing home..at her funeral there will be LOTS of hugging(we're Italian after all)...so I'll have to probably pocket carry,just to avoid loud Italian relatives from going"hey,what you got there?"

armedandsafe
August 25, 2005, 02:29 PM
When I got maried to FirstInLine, she reached around my back and yanked the work gloves out of the hip pocket of my suit pants with a resigned sigh. Then she leaned in and whispered in my ear, with a wicked smile, "I almost grabbed the wrong gun, didn't I?" :D

Pops

deputy tom
August 25, 2005, 02:30 PM
Rockrivr1 ,if you have a need to carry a firearm,then you need to carry it every waking hour.Funerals are no different than any other social event in reguards to CCW.I am armed anytime I am legally permitted to be.YMMV.tom.

Jay Kominek
August 25, 2005, 03:42 PM
The question that should be asked is "Why shouldn't I carry?" After all, carrying is a matter of preparedness, and should become the default.

Rockrivr1
August 25, 2005, 03:43 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses. I just got back home from the funeral and I did carry. It was very easy to conceal while wearing a suite. But it was HOT in a suite and I was sweating at the cememtary something fierce. I've noticed one very big disadvantage carrying in summer with an IWB holster. I rubs you raw!

I have the rest of the afternoon off so I'm heading to my closest gun store and picking up a Mike's Pocket Holster.

I've been a gun owner for a good long time, but this is only my second week of CCWing and it's a very different experience. Greg L, you made me laugh pretty good. I'm always messing with the damn thing when it's on my hip. My fiance asked me the other day why I keep checking out my "butt" when I walk past a mirror. :rolleyes:

I'm sure I'll get used to it soon. Thanks again!!

Bobo
August 25, 2005, 04:31 PM
Carry 24/7 when/where legal!

Double Maduro
August 25, 2005, 05:37 PM
Also, weddings, Bar Mitzvah's, graduation ceremonies, etc.

If I have my pants on, I am armed, unless specifically prohibited.

DM

Tom Servo
August 25, 2005, 05:41 PM
Actually, a friend of mine attended the funeral of an old high-school buddy that he hadn't spoken with in years. Turned out the deceased had gotten into drugs over the years and died of an overdose. He'd been slightly involved in a distribution network, and guess who showed up to the funeral?

The "business partners" felt jilted because the deceased had owed them money and/or product, and they felt that this was the appropriate time to voice their greivances. Luckily, a relative was an off-duty police officer and the situation ended with arrests but no shots fired, BUT two of the three bad guys had been carrying.

With the emotional tension mentioned in the above posts already present, this was like throwing gasoline on a fire. If the excrement HAD hit the rotating apparatus it could have ended up badly, to say the least.

So, yeah, I'd carry to a funeral. But then again, I carry just about everywhere anyhow...

jbrown50
August 25, 2005, 06:29 PM
"Is there really a serious chance of being attacked at a funeral?"

http://www.wtev.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=0DEC93DA-D0DE-4F90-AF51-9219D2E33056

http://www.antonnews.com/westburytimes/2005/04/01/news/robbery.html

http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/mn/press/major/major0006.htm

Vern Humphrey
August 25, 2005, 06:41 PM

And in the parking lot, and at the restaurant where you stop on the way home, or when you walk into a burglary in progress upon your return home.

Stevie-Ray
August 25, 2005, 06:49 PM
I carried at my mother-in-law's funeral. Found out one of my female cousins was carrying as well. Didn't even know she was into guns. We had a good talk, considering the circumstances.

MR.G
August 25, 2005, 06:53 PM
I have always carried at funerals.

Topgun
August 25, 2005, 07:03 PM
Sure. What if you're one of the heirs an he ain't quite dead?

:what: :D

Aw c'mon.....lighten up.
;)

FotoTomas
August 25, 2005, 07:39 PM
I have carried at funerals and according to my will I will be buried with my S&W Model 38 Bodyguard in my pocket. I also specified it be loaded but I confess I might have a hard time guaranteeing "my will be done." :)

thatguy
August 26, 2005, 10:52 AM
I guess I need to sharpen my paranoia to fit in with you folks.

24/7? You sleep, shower, and have sex (assuming you do all these things) while armed?

NineseveN
August 26, 2005, 11:34 AM
I have slept with a gun on. I tend to try and keep it near me, not on me, while I sleep.

I have showered with a gun on, but that's a long story. Haven't done it since.

I had sex with a gun on, but that's an even longer story and one not appropriate for THR. Let's just say, we had to make do with the space we had, which did not allow us to undress, or for either her or myself to remove our sidearms. :neener:

Funerals? +1

carebear
August 26, 2005, 12:33 PM
24/7? You sleep, shower, and have sex (assuming you do all these things) while armed?

Not just armed, I've done all 3 while loaded.

:evil:

CAS700850
August 26, 2005, 04:08 PM
I've carried to a couple of funerals. Co-worker family members, during work hours. Didn't carry to my father's funeral. Too emotional to trust myself. Didn't carry at my wedding. I knew I'd be drinking, and had other CCW plans. :D

But, to go along with the latest posts, I have slept with a firearm, first while in the military, then while camping far from civilization. No to the other two. ;)

Strings
August 26, 2005, 05:28 PM
Slept with a gun on? I suppose you could say that: I either sleep with a woman or a weapon... ;)

Showered with one? Well... it's on the bathroom counter, does that count?

Had sex with one on? Wait a sec... I've heard of this before... what's "sex" again? :evil:

P95Carry
August 26, 2005, 05:38 PM
I've heard of this before... what's "sex" again? Hunter - it is that state which exists after surviving an armed attack successfully!

Satisfactory Evil (e)Xtermination! :) :neener:

jbrown50
August 26, 2005, 06:53 PM
"I guess I need to sharpen my paranoia to fit in with you folks."

"24/7? You sleep, shower, and have sex (assuming you do all these things) while armed?"

No

But......

I have enough sense to know that if criminals respected the dead they wouldn't be killing folks.

ctdonath
August 26, 2005, 07:20 PM
Is there really a serious chance of being attacked at a funeral?Yet another instance of the generic question "Is there really a serious chance of being attacked at <insert 'safe' location here>?"

1. Yes, there is a chance, and should that chance arise I'm sure you'd find it quite serious. Statistics don't matter when "it" happens to YOU.

2. It's not the destination I'm worried about, it's the trip.
It's not the funeral/job/home/theater/bar that I think I'll be attacked in, it's when I go to my car at night in the semi-deserted parking lot in the wrong section of town; it's the flat tire and flat spare on the side of the wrong road; it's the McDonald's parking lot; it's the nightly stroll with the dog - any of which may suddenly produce a two- or four-legged predator who decide's I'm dinner or an ATM.

I've had enough instances where someone wierd and suspect rather unexpectedly decided to give me his full attention, and I became keenly aware that no weapon was at hand. Fortunately none have attacked, but it's clear that an attack wasn't a stretch.

FWIW: yes, I did carry at my own wedding.

ctdonath
August 26, 2005, 07:30 PM
"I guess I need to sharpen my paranoia to fit in with you folks."
"24/7? You sleep, shower, and have sex (assuming you do all these things) while armed?"It's not paranoia, it's reasonable personal philosophy.

Which makes more sense:
- Assume you will be disarmed, and justify being armed case-by-case
- Assume you will be armed, and justify being disarmed case-by-case

Just get used to having weapons handy - not out of paranoia, but out of preparedness and state-of-being. Doing so assures that you will be ready, and don't have to worry about it. This opposed to being in a vulnerable state most of the time, and fuss over when/whether a situation is dangerous enough to arm oneself.

Having lived both, I find being armed by default is far less "paranoid" because one is just plain ready for anything anytime, vs. being vulnerable by default and having to worry about what's dangerous.

As some wag put it: "I have a gun - why should I be paranoid?"

And yes: sleep/shower/sex all include, by lifestyle, a gun being accessable within a very few seconds. What better time for a predator to attack?

gulogulo1970
August 26, 2005, 09:00 PM
If there is a place that makes you feel uncomfortable to carry, well then don't. You play the odds every time you fly or get into a car. Life involves many calculated and estimated risks, weigh the chances of being attacked against the uncomfortableness that may be caused to you or others. Whichever is more important to you, go with it.

thatguy
August 26, 2005, 11:45 PM
I guess some people aren't comfortable if unarmed. I spent the first 40 years of my life living in states where you couldn't legally carry. Then I moved to where I could 10 years ago and I carry off and on since then. I simply don't feel the need to be armed every waking moment. Sure, there is the one in 10,000,000 chance a terrorist will attack a funeral, but the overwhelming odds are it won't happen. If I was going to fret over "odds" I sure as hell wouldn't get into a car. Much greater chance of buying it in a MVA than by being killed in a criminal attack.

I've actually pulled a concealed pistol three times. All three were in places that were high risk for criminal attack. Twice when I was working nights in a convenience store and the third while while working as a bouncer in a bar. I wouldn't want to be unarmed in these places. Good chance of needing a gun. But a funeral? C'mon. I carry when going out most of the time, and always have a defensive pistol in my car when traveling. But there are a few places where I just don't feel particularly threatened.

I think some people are just "into" packing heat. Whatever makes you happy. But if you feel the need to carry at funerals, weddings, bar mitzvahs, children's birthday parties or while mowing the lawn (I know of a guy who shot himself in the groin with a 1911 doing this, removing one of the two most precious things in his life) then just go ahead, OK? You don't need the forum's permission.

answerguy
August 26, 2005, 11:50 PM
The only place that I don't routinely carry is at softball games. And then it's just in the truck.

P95Carry
August 27, 2005, 12:04 AM
But there are a few places where I just don't feel particularly threatened. I can label countless places I could put in that category but - it still comes down to the vehicular analogy - how does one ''know'' that on a particular day - at a time and place - you won't get a flat!

Answer? We don't.

Anyways - it is of course every individual's decision how much or little they carry - no problem with that. For me tho - until I succeed in total precognition I will continue to cover all 16/7 when I legally can.

I fully expect however to achieve worm-food status never having fired a shot in anger - that would please me no end :)

Feanaro
August 27, 2005, 12:08 AM
But there are a few places where I just don't feel particularly threatened.

I don't feel threatened in 99.99% of the places I go. If you feel threatened, I figure it's time to get somewhere else. Avoidance is a central tenant of most CCW classes and license holders. But threats don't stay in easily defined "danger" zones or else we shouldn't need the pistol unless we visit those places. I don't fear danger or threats everywhere I go but they could be there. Now, an irrational and paranoid response would be going to great lengths to conceal a shotgun in my pants. Or never leaving my home and having groceries delivered to my door.

However, given all the wonderful holsters and pistols out there, carrying isn't a big ordeal. A P-32 or Rohrbaugh R9 can fit in just about any pocket. If not, they are light and small so carrying isn't a major pain. It's easy and cheap insurance.

carebear
August 27, 2005, 12:22 AM
I think some people are just "into" packing heat. Whatever makes you happy.

That's great that you think that, but since many people have actually given their sound reasons for why they "pack heat" perhaps your thoughts are both wrong and unnecessary.

I generally try to accept people's explanations at face value and don't presume to know their thoughts better than they themselves do.

But whatever makes you happy. :rolleyes:

Taurus 66
August 27, 2005, 12:25 AM
However, given all the wonderful holsters and pistols out there, carrying isn't a big ordeal. A P-32 or Rohrbaugh R9 can fit in just about any pocket. If not, they are light and small so carrying isn't a major pain. It's easy and cheap insurance.

This will still keep the topic on track ..... kinda. I'm still hangin' in the death department here.

Carrying a gun should get you a reduction on your life insurance rates. Well, what do you think? ;)

Ala Dan
August 27, 2005, 09:04 AM
Yes, I would carry concealed at a wake or funeral. I have done so in the past, and would do so again. I do not see this as any disrespect to the
deceased.

PCGS65
August 27, 2005, 11:22 AM
It depends on whose funeral? If it were Osama bin-laden yes just to make sure he was really dead. lol

Boss Spearman
August 27, 2005, 11:26 AM
Yes, I carry everywhere.

ctdonath
August 27, 2005, 11:45 AM
But a funeral? C'mon.As many have tried to explain, and I'll try to keep this simple:

1. You never know.
2. Travel to and from safe location/event X is usually the greater concern (flat tire in a bad neighborhood, etc.)
3. Just do it = no worries.

longtooth
August 27, 2005, 12:39 PM
At a funeral yesterday. Armed. after that went to the home of the family did not take it off there. I guess the answere is yes.

longtooth
August 27, 2005, 12:42 PM
The wife was w/ me & she was armed too. 24-7 is for ladies too. So I guess the answer is Yes. Yes.

jbrown50
August 27, 2005, 01:00 PM
"If I was going to fret over "odds" I sure as hell wouldn't get into a car. Much greater chance of buying it in a MVA than by being killed in a criminal attack."

You do carry personal insurance and auto insurance though, don't you? You'd be foolish not to even though the chances of you being killed or even seriously injured in an auto accident are very slim. You carry homwowner's insurance too, don't you? Even though the chances of your house being destroyed are extremely slim.

The chances of something happening are very unlikely but you still carry insurance because IF something does happen it WILL be a serious life altering event. It could put you into financial ruin even if you survive the crash, fire, hurricane, flood, etc.

In the case of not being prepared to thwart a criminal attack, you could be seriously injured, crippled for life, or killed (kidnapped, dumped into the woods with a bullet in the head, throat slit, etc) and either could put you or your family into financial ruin as well.

So, discontinue your insurances (If the mortgage company and DMV will let you) to include your personal insurance since it's a waste of money. According to your reasoning, nothing will likely happen anyway.

thatguy
August 27, 2005, 02:25 PM
carebear- I'm just saying what I think. Am I not allowed?

jbrown50- I keep insurance on my car. It would be very unwise to drive without insurance. But I would probably not pay the premiums on a car parked for extended periods and not driven. Now, a drunk may careen up the driveway and plow through the garage door and hit my parked car, but the overwhelming odds are it won't happen. Same with a funeral, or any other place where I don't feel it unwise to be unarmed. The situations mentioned earlier are simply so low risk that I don't consider it unwise to be unarmed in these places. I just seriously doubt that my life will be threatened at a funeral. I guess that if some genius ever gets the bright idea to stick up a funeral procession I happen to be in, well I'm just screwed, aren't I?

If any of you want to carry at a funeral, go ahead. But I think it unnecessary (and just a tad paranoid). I find asking the question a bit silly. But these are just my opinions and you're free to disagree.

Why are some of you getting mad at me over this? Why the sarcastic replies? You don't have to do what I say. You don't have to agree with me. But can't I at least say what I think? Is total agreement required for participation?

carebear
August 27, 2005, 02:40 PM
thatguy,

Of course you can say what you think. My problem is that your thoughts are writ large enough to encompense everyone who posted with their actual reasons for carrying all the time.

By continuing to assert your thoughts in the face of their declarations you are, in effect, calling them liars. Which one shouldn't do.

Either tighten up your descriptions of to whom your thoughts apply or just be up front about your challenges to other's honor and honesty.

To passively-aggressively deny, by using a diffident phrase like "I think that some...", with its implicit dismissing of those persons own stated reasons, the reality of others statements about themselves is supercilious and patronizing.

In other words, I KNOW you are wrong in your thoughts about I and everyone else who has, after reflection, decided (and in this thread stated) that to carry at only selected times is patently illogical given the known realities of violent conflict and our own inability to, with 100% accuracy, predict both the future in general and the actions of those around us who we do not know specifically.

Since I KNOW you are wrong, that I am not "just into packing heat" but instead do so, with some personal sacrifices involved, because I feel it to be the only reasonable way to approach the subject; I take your trite dismissal as an attempted personal insult to both my honesty and intelligence.

Reword your "thought" and the problem goes away.

pythonguy
August 27, 2005, 05:06 PM
Well Thatguy,

To these guys if you don't have a gun stuffed up your butt 24/7 you are in danger. In other words, they ARE paranoid, and I'm not afraid to say it. The feeling of power is a powerful drug, you can still love to keep guns and shoot even if you don't carry.

ruger270man
August 27, 2005, 05:17 PM
I carry everywhere except to a bar or the courthouse.

church, funerals, walmart, post office, whatever.

jbrown50
August 28, 2005, 01:39 AM
"To these guys if you don't have a gun stuffed up your butt 24/7 you are in danger. In other words, they ARE paranoid, and I'm not afraid to say it. The feeling of power is a powerful drug, you can still love to keep guns and shoot even if you don't carry."

The anti-gun crowd thinks that your simple love for guns makes you even more of a wacko. (So.....tell me again.....why do you own and shoot guns? :what: :scrutiny: It's a "power trip" that can be corrected with therapy, you know.)

thatguy
August 28, 2005, 01:48 AM
Wait a minute! Where did I ever "challenge" anyone's "honor" or "honesty?" All I said was that I think some people go a little overboard in feeling the need to be armed 24/7. You're making WAY too much out of what I said. I never intended any personal insult or slight. I was simply musing about the situation.

And if you think there aren't people who are into concealed carry just because it pumps them up, then you haven't met a few of the folks I have spoken with. Trust me, they're out there.

denfoote
August 28, 2005, 03:51 AM
I was carrying during my own mother's funeral!!

Just because you're paranoid, it does not mean they really aren't out to get you!!

joab
August 28, 2005, 03:59 AM
If you carry, you carry.

Why should a funeral/wake be any different than an outing to the grocery store.

Carrying is not so much about the destination as it is the journey sometimes.

No matter where you go you have to get there Should you be disarmed just because you are on your way to a funeral

ctdonath
I guess I should read through a thread before posting on it

Texian Pistolero
August 28, 2005, 04:07 AM
Better to carry at funerals,

than to be carried at funerals.

ctdonath
August 28, 2005, 01:36 PM
I think some people go a little overboard in feeling the need to be armed 24/7.I think some people go a little overboard in feeling the need to criticize those who are armed 24/7.

Do you want to "get it"? or do you just want to laugh at those who think differently from you?

Some choose to carry always, unless some compelling reason dictates otherwise.
Some choose to carry never, unless some compelling reason dictates otherwise.
Some choose to carry sometimes, always fussing over whether there is a compelling reason one way or the other.
Which is the most reasonable?

Yes, there are some who carry "because it pumps them up". Jerks exist. Some of us are having a problem with the way you seem to be indicating we're that kind of jerk.

thatguy
August 28, 2005, 01:56 PM
Jbrown50- By the way, not to beat a dead horse, but I checked the three news links you provided and none of them involved violent crimes committed against participants DURING a funeral.

The first was about vehicle burglaries in the parking lot. This would not be considered a situation warranting the use of deadly force unless they attacked you when you found them breaking into cars. It does happen, rarely, but really the best thing to do if you see someone breaking into your car is avoid confronting them and just call the cops. Thatís their job. If you confront them they will likely just run. What then? You canít shoot people for breaking into your car. I know you want to, I sure do, but it would not be justified by law. If you shot them as they ran you may very well be charged with a crime and sued by the survivors or their families. Maybe they wonít run, maybe itís that very rare instance where they attack you. Now you must either kill them or perhaps be killed and you set yourself up for that situation. Is that what you really want? Confronting criminals and trying to take them captive is best left for the police. I wouldnít try to hold someone at gunpoint unless I had no other option and that wouldnít be the case if I saw them and then ran out to confront them.

The second event would warrant using deadly force, but again, it happened in the car in the parking lot, not during the funeral. I said I keep a gun in the car and retrieve it as soon as I open the door so I would not have been unarmed.

In the third case the funeral home employees were merely witnesses to the suspect preparing to commit a crime at another address and at the time of their interaction they had no idea the woman had criminal intent. I donít see where being armed was necessary or useful, here, either.

As far as Iím concerned everyone can carry when and where you please. I would never try to stop you or even advise against it. Like I said, I carry most of the time and I would expect any reasonable person to do the same. Itís just that there are a few places where it seems overboard to feel the need to be armed and the practice of asking in public for a general consensus on packing at funerals or birthday parties or whatever strikes me a little silly. Do it or donít do it. Whatís to talk about? Itís your choice. You don't need permission from anyone here.

jbrown50
August 28, 2005, 02:56 PM
"As far as Iím concerned everyone can carry when and where you please. I would never try to stop you or even advise against it. Like I said, I carry most of the time and I would expect any reasonable person to do the same. Itís just that there are a few places where it seems overboard to feel the need to be armed and the practice of asking in public for a general consensus on packing at funerals or birthday parties or whatever strikes me a little silly. Do it or donít do it. Whatís to talk about? Itís your choice. You don't need permission from anyone here."

Ah!

So, we agree that it is YOUR PERSONAL choice to own or not to own guns or to carry or not to carry guns. Correct?

You shouldn't be thought of as "wierd or strange" because you choose either way. It is a God given right and a right re-affirmed under the Second Amendment. You also have a God given right to choose not to exercise it for whatever reasons that are valid to you personally.

Sometimes we as gun owners can be just as prejudiced to one another as the anti's are to us.

Ben Shepherd
August 28, 2005, 08:28 PM
I've carried 3 caskets in the last three years. I had my "sunday-go-to-meeting" suit tailored for CCW purposes.

You either carry- or you don't. I do.

abaddon
August 28, 2005, 09:07 PM
I went to my friend's wedding this weekend unarmed. I would have preferred to be armed, but it was very hot and I didn't want to wear a jacket. I don't yet own a gun that can be carried without a jacket.

Boss Spearman
September 4, 2005, 02:01 PM
If a person is going to defend their life or a loved ones, they need to have the mind set to carry everywhere, because as someone said, you never know.

CAPTAIN MIKE
September 4, 2005, 02:03 PM
..Carry everywhere you can, unless the law says you can't

If you enjoyed reading about "Would you carry during a Wake/Funeral?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!