Sign in if you've NEVER sold a gun

PDA

TheOtherOne
August 25, 2005, 06:09 AM
It's probably nothing to be proud of but I just can't seem to let myself get rid of any. Even if money is tight and I see another gun that I just have to have and I've got multiple copies of some guns (SKS's, Mosins) that I really don't need more than one of... I still can't bring myself to sell them.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sign in if you've NEVER sold a gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Matthew748
August 25, 2005, 06:39 AM
I am the same way. Every firearm I have ever purchased is still in my possesion. Most shops seem to only give you a pittance when you want to do a used gun plus cash deal and I am not comfortable doing a private party sale with a stranger.

Whatsit
August 25, 2005, 06:43 AM
I like all mine. Sentimental value and all that...no sale!

shermacman
August 25, 2005, 07:18 AM
My guns all have sentimental value, historical value and practical value. Or, in the case of my .357 wheelie, just plain old grin value. So, not only have I never sold a gun, there are a few more that I want to buy. And I won't sell them, either!

Commissar Gribb
August 25, 2005, 07:40 AM
so far none have left my posession except one I bought as a present.

this will change though.

VARifleman
August 25, 2005, 07:47 AM
I donated a rifle to a highschool rifle team. Does that count as selling?

dpesec
August 25, 2005, 07:48 AM
None ever left me. For some reason once I pick-up a weapon I never let it go.

dk-corriveau
August 25, 2005, 08:30 AM
Never sold one, but I am open to the idea. I have some that I will not part with intill I am gone. I have some others, that I really enjoy shooting, that I would be willing to part with under the right circumstances.

Hkmp5sd
August 25, 2005, 08:52 AM
Still have every single one of the little fellers.

bosshoff
August 25, 2005, 09:06 AM
I have never sold one, but I have traded a Beretta .22LR plus cash for a Colt MKIV 1911. Does this still count?

Janitor
August 25, 2005, 09:13 AM
Hmmm - I've never sold one, and can't think of one I would.

I've given a couple as presents - does that count?

LynnMassGuy
August 25, 2005, 09:16 AM
I've never sold one. But I do have a 3 month old daughter and I'm working 2 jobs 16 hours a day to keep my wife home (no stranger is going to raise my daughter) so it's not out of the question. Aw hell, I'll get a third job.

Regards
John

alpineman
August 25, 2005, 09:56 AM
I've never sold one. I'm pretty new to all this (I bought my first gun less than 5 years ago) but I can't see myself ever letting any of them go. Now, regarding adding MORE to the collection ... I can see that happening!

scout26
August 25, 2005, 10:11 AM
It would be like selling one of your children.

I did buy one to give as a present, does that count ??

I also have two POS guns that were given to me in the back of the safe. I'm waiting for a "Gun Buyback" to dump them, would that count ??

Myself
August 25, 2005, 10:14 AM
I was selliing my truck to a girl at work who also needed a handgun. I thru in the gun with the truck deal. Does that count?

PS Still miss the gun.

nico
August 25, 2005, 10:19 AM
::raises hand::

I can't think of a gun that i'd want to sell.

Vitamin G
August 25, 2005, 10:21 AM
I traded a glock in toward a colt delta elite so that i could afford it at the bargain price...

But its a glock, so it doesn't count.

Sindawe
August 25, 2005, 10:28 AM
But its a glock, so it doesn't count. Blasphemer... :D

Every firearm. Heck every WEAPON I've purchased over the years remains in my possession.

mics357
August 25, 2005, 10:32 AM
:what: sell my weapons , oh hell no, once i get it it's mine mine mine (jumping up and down) mine mine mine. sorry, lost it for a sec.. no i have never parted with a firearm i aquired.

asdaf
August 25, 2005, 10:40 AM
Never sold one, still have them all. I did buy one to give to my wife (I really did try to give it away, honest) but she wouldn't accept it. She's happy to shoot it; just doesn't want to take official ownership.

TheEgg
August 25, 2005, 10:45 AM
Not sold. Gave one as gift to Brother-in-law.

roo_ster
August 25, 2005, 11:27 AM
Nope. Never sold one.

I have bought guns as given them as gifts, though. I never thought of them as "my" guns.

This is the reason my grandpa left me his guns. He knew that I would never willingly part with them, save to give to another family member who vows never to sell it or give it outside the family.

Firethorn
August 25, 2005, 11:29 AM
Nope, never sold a one. Still shoot the old ones, just not as often.

TallPine
August 25, 2005, 11:33 AM
No, never sold any and don't intend to.

I did buy a new one for each of my daughters ;)

fisherman66
August 25, 2005, 11:34 AM
No sell here; doing my part to keep the gun companies in business.

Dr.Rob
August 25, 2005, 01:55 PM
Never.

Luchtaine
August 25, 2005, 01:59 PM
IF I sold them I wouldn't have anything obsess over. All mine are for life.

modifiedbrowning
August 25, 2005, 02:51 PM
Nope.

kel
August 25, 2005, 03:06 PM
And hoping for never

PaulBk
August 25, 2005, 03:09 PM
yet

-PB

Bobo
August 25, 2005, 03:23 PM
Never sold a gun.

svtruth
August 25, 2005, 03:33 PM
Only got into shooting about 6 mos ago and only bought 3 guns. But I have noticed that hardly any one says "glad I sold that gun" and almost everyone says "wish I had it back".

duckslayer
August 25, 2005, 06:06 PM
I once traded an 870 express for a wingmaster, and I don't regret losing that express at all:) But I have never sold one.

enfield303
August 25, 2005, 06:19 PM
A Pack Rat like me? About the only thing I can part with are used video games. I still catch myself wishing I had THOSE back!

Black Majik
August 25, 2005, 06:22 PM
Darn! 1 day too late!! :D

I just got back from selling my Glock 23, first gun to ever leave my possession. Bye bye plastic gun, God, please take me back. :evil:

garrett1955
August 25, 2005, 06:23 PM
never once. i feel once they are mine, guns are to valuable to get rid of them. so not yet have i and i dont plan to.

redneck2
August 25, 2005, 06:27 PM
I kinda wonder if this also goes along with "how many different guns have you owned in your life?"

For me, it's been in the hundreds. No way I'd keep them all. If you've only had 8, keeping them all is no big deal. If you've traded dozens, it gets to be a bigger deal.

Kinda like the first car I had...brand new '68 GTO. I suppose it would be nice to have it back, but if I had to do it over would I really keep it?? Probably not

I've got a safe full of guns that would make most people drool. Still, in the end, unless a gun has some sentimental value, it's just a chunk of metal and wood (or sometimes plastic)

Coronach
August 25, 2005, 06:31 PM
Never sold, or gave away, except for one that I bought specificaly as a present. That one went to my dad, so I know that one day (hopefully a long, long time from now) I will get it back.

Mike

No_Brakes23
August 25, 2005, 07:31 PM
I donated a rifle to a highschool rifle team. Does that count as selling? Giving it away does not count, IMAO.

I haven't sold any. I have a few I am not too fond of, but they are heirlooms, and they were handed down to my son. They are all his once he is old enough.

I think long and hard before buying a gun, and I doubt I would sell one unless it was junk. My sons C&R inheritance IS taking up too much space in my safe, though. Guess I am gonna need a new safe soon.

rangeruger
August 25, 2005, 07:47 PM
No!!

ralphie98
August 25, 2005, 09:50 PM
Nope, not yet and I don't plan on selling any. I only have 3 so it isn't saying much, but these 3 are going to stay with me as long as possible. Sentimental reasons and all that.... 1st gun (Glock), 1st 1911 (springfield), and first gun I carried after I got my permit (makarov). Still need my first revolver, first shotgun, first rifle..........

coonan357
August 25, 2005, 10:02 PM
no but I got a gun for my Ex wife best trade I ever made!! :D

seriously I had to part with one it was a very hard decision but it was either loose the house or the gun . I used the money for the bankruptcy protection . have since mad up with the gun gods and bought one to replace it .now to buy another one !!

etex
August 25, 2005, 10:04 PM
I know you are supposed to sign if you have not, but I have to answer yes. I got in a bind for money and sold a Ruger Super redhawk .44 Mag scoped and m77 .270. I have missed them ever since. :( I promised myself I would never
sell another one. It makes me want to cry when I think about holding them.
You know they say you just dont know what you have until its gone.
I definitely regret it! :banghead:

Otherguy Overby
August 25, 2005, 10:44 PM
I swapped a Ruger 22-45 for a trailer.

I still regret that, I shoulda just paid cash for that trailer.

Now, every time I look at that trailer, that's the thought I have.

Never again.

Mumbles_45
August 25, 2005, 10:52 PM
Never sold, traded or given away any of my guns. Almost sold a rifle to help buy a shotgun once until I decided an even beter idea would be to keep the rifle and buy the shotgun. Wasnt going to get enough for the rifle to help out much anyway.

MechAg94
August 25, 2005, 10:55 PM
I traded a Remington 7400 once. I only bought it at a pawn shop for the Leopold scope sitting on it. Traded it for a 2" barrel S&W Model 66-1. I had to pay a little also, but the pistol is nice.

M-Rex
August 25, 2005, 11:33 PM
Never sold any. Nor do I loan them out. They're my babies.

22-rimfire
August 26, 2005, 12:31 AM
As was mentioned, it really depends if you have 5 or 10 guns or you have or had a 100 or 200. I have sold many guns; some for a profit and some for a loss. It was always fun to pick up a bargain and sell or trade it on another gun. But, it is frequently a loosing proposition based on my experience if your trading is limited to dealers. You have to recoginize and buy the good stuff (in demand) for cheap prices and sell or trade them for things that you really want. That is the only way to do it otherwise you almost always loose or break even. Break even... why bother.

c_yeager
August 26, 2005, 04:24 AM
I did once pawn a revolver (got it back though). Other than that the only time i would ever part company with one of my guns is if it was a gift to someone who needed one (and its a *real* short list of people who would be eligable).

artherd
August 26, 2005, 05:12 AM
Never have, likely never will.

Liability reasons, you see. Yeah, that's it, I'lll just keep telling myself that's it.

I also now CANNOT legally sell the Barrett in CA.

I don't see any reason to get rid of:

-Remington 7400 .30-06 with work done. Great hog gun.
-Kel Tec SU-16
-Armalite AR-30 .338 Lapua Mag
-Barrett M82A1.
-Glock 34

I'm going to add an AI AWP with an SN-3 when the house sells.

Greg L
August 26, 2005, 07:50 AM
I've never sold/traded any away. I have given away quite a few though as gifts.

Kharn
August 26, 2005, 08:21 AM
Never sold any, had one replaced by the manufacturer since they couldnt fix it.

Kharn

straightShot
August 26, 2005, 08:29 AM
Never. I couldn't do it.

When I die, they'll get divided up. That won't be a problem, I'm sure.

What gets me is when others sell a gun with known problems without fixing them first. They feel no remorse for passing the problems on to the next guy, and they think that this sort of thing is the right thing to do.

afasano
August 26, 2005, 11:11 AM
Does trading up count?

Kramer Krazy
August 26, 2005, 11:21 AM
I've never sold a gun, but the only gun I don't have anymore (a 1990 Colt Government Model in blue) was traded for a 1983 Husqvarna WR-430 dirtbike in 1991.

SamV
August 26, 2005, 02:57 PM
No, never sold one. The safe is still too empty to contemplate getting rid of the few that are there. I don't think I could anyway. It is that old " this was the first shotgun, pistol etc. Really, when I die, hopefully many years from now, what will an old 870 express really be worth? Yet I really like it because it was a first purchase and I have taught many people to shoot with it. I have done some minor improvements to it and everyone that shoots it loves it, even more than some of my pricier guns. I wish I had some cool collectables, but most of mine are just boring run of the mill models that work flawlessly like my Ruger P95. Boring, kinda ugly, Probably no real dollar value down the line, but it shoots really great and I don't think I could sell it.
Maybe by the time I keel over and they open my safe, they will find with the boring group that started me off and served me really well, a few really cool beauties that everyone will lust over. Actually, I hope that my kids will appreciate the ones that they learned on and will want those the most for the memories with Dad.

MrTuffPaws
August 26, 2005, 04:05 PM
Never sold one. I thought about trading in my XD for a CZ-P01, but they were only going to give me $200 for it.

absolute0
August 26, 2005, 10:00 PM
I've given away a couple to friends and family, but never sold one. I wouldn't rule out selling one I didn't use - I'd rather see someone else enjoy it than have it sit idle and unloved in my safe.

That said, the idea of selling a favorite to finance the "gotta have it" gun of the moment is lunacy and sure to lead to heartache

Ironbarr
August 26, 2005, 11:19 PM
I, too, can't part with any firearm. I have some "new", one given to me as far back as the the 1940's, and one I bought from a store at 15. I have no plans to sell.

As an aside, within his post, redneck2 mentioned "... it's just a chunk of metal and wood". That metal and wood reminded me of an essay by Dennis Bateman originally published at TheFiringLine - "Metal and Wood". This is his opening paragraph:It is a rare person who does not attach some sort of value or emotion to some physical object or to an event. A home becomes more than a building. A statue of the Virgin Mary, a crucifix, a flag or a song, or even a photograph can stir emotions greater than the value of the material item.This seems to go along with redneck2's words. The essay has been around a while - it provides strong identification of "Metal and Wood" with our past and - hopefully - our future.

A short, but strong reading - I highly suggest it's reading: http://www.thefiringline.com/Misc/library/Metal_and_Wood.html

-Andy Barr
Ironbarr
TFL/THR/GT & Others

Dr.Who
August 27, 2005, 02:35 PM
I have them all, just got a bigger safe to keep them happy...

rugerfan1
August 27, 2005, 05:31 PM
Sold 2 in 32 years, just cant handle the pressure of letting them go!!!

Finch
August 27, 2005, 10:34 PM
One time the North Las Vegas police dept decided to have a gun buy back program, and for every rifle you turned in, you would get a 100 dollar wal-mart gift card. The only rifle the was worth under 100 bucks was this old mosin nagant I have, I thought about all the 40s&w I could have bought with that, but I just could'nt bring myself to give that rifle up, one out of principle (Gun buy backs are stupid) and two, that is the first firearm I have ever bought, got it the day I turned 18. Never even thought about giving up any of my firearms, they all have thier own story. That's like giving up your childen, you guys are sick, the thoughts that enter your minds.....no more wine....

horge
August 28, 2005, 05:10 AM
Don't have many to begin with, but no...
don't think I'd ever sell a firearm I'd bought.

Ben Shepherd
August 28, 2005, 07:41 PM
With me it's a little different, it's a family thing. Once a parent or sibling buys a gun, it stays in the family. It may change hands among family members, but once it's in, it never leaves. Kind of like the Bates motel. :D :scrutiny:

I'm feeling a little wierd today.

mfree
August 29, 2005, 10:04 AM
I've never sold a gun, and it'd take act of congress (sorry, evil pun) to make me get rid of any of mine. Why?

Guns that I know aren't 100% and require tinkering:
P22, marlin 60

Guns that I have a personal connection to (i.e. First gun, like it too much, etc)
CZ-75 Compact (yep, #1, still my best shooter), 66-1, CZ-52

Guns with a historical story or other unusual features
early Arisaka 99, Norinco SKS-M, Nazi and British comm marked CZ-27, Norinco 213, MN1895 revo

Now, if I had something like a Glock 22 and needed ca-a-ash, it'd be gone in a heartbeat. Or, at least I can say that now, since i don't have any "commodity" guns to test myself with :-D

Gus Dddysgrl
August 29, 2005, 01:49 PM
I don't have enough to sell any. I don't have any money to buy any, but I still wouldn't sell any. I think I have 4 1/2. (The half I stole from dad.) I did buy one to "give" to hubby as a wedding gift, but it's still sorta mine. :neener:

Gus

foghornl
August 29, 2005, 01:54 PM
I never sold any, but the first Mrs. Foggy (now the ex-mrs. foggy) [ahem] "loaned' a bunch of mine to her friends, and I never saw those again...her 'friends' or my shootin' irons.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sign in if you've NEVER sold a gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!