Buying longguns out of state? MA resident


August 25, 2005, 10:28 AM
I keep seeing some much better deals in Maine than I do here in MA, same with NH... What's the law for buying a shotgun or rifle (one that would be legal in MA) out of state? Can I even do this??

Even accounting for gasoline, these are much cheaper to buy out of state... sometimes as much as $150. :scrutiny:

If you enjoyed reading about "Buying longguns out of state? MA resident" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
August 25, 2005, 12:25 PM
You have to purchase it from an FFL and it must be legal per your state's laws to do so. Buying it from an FFL is a federal requirement, anything else would be up to your state. Most states have no restrictions but there are a few that do.


August 25, 2005, 12:28 PM
Ok, that's what I thought. So I need to comply with both ME's and MA's requirements for the purchase - easy enough.

August 25, 2005, 12:32 PM
Don't forget to fill out an FA-10 form, too. Mass FFLs will do that as part of the paperwork. A Maine FFL probably won't.

August 25, 2005, 12:42 PM
If you are gonna shop in Maine the Kittery Trading Post is the place to go They have some good deals and usually have about 2,000 used guns in stock for sale. I bought a rifle from there and was very pleased with the transaction, they even filled out the FA-10.

August 25, 2005, 12:47 PM
I have issues with KTP, but thanks anyway.

Where can I get a registration form, anyway? Local PD? How long do I have to register it?

August 25, 2005, 01:01 PM
You are supposed to register it within 7 days.
You can get FA-10 forms from the local PD (if they have them) or get them from the State AG.

September 7, 2005, 12:47 AM
I'm still thinking of buying a longarm out of state, but I've got some doubts running through my head now...

What if the form gets lost in the mail, or I fill it out incorrectly?
What if it is suddenly decided that a certain type of shotgun is no longer ok to own?

Why does MA make registering firearms such a PITA?

For that matter, why do I have to register them with the state at all? Form 4473 is basically federal registration anyway.

September 7, 2005, 09:16 AM
Anyone? There are some really nice deals on SKSs and such that I'd love to take advantage of, but I'm really concerned about getting screwed over by the MA state government.

September 7, 2005, 10:33 AM
Why not have the rifle shipped to your local dealer? He'll fill out the state FA-10 form.
Mass. has universal gun registration for all transfers, although registering old guns is not required unless they are transferred to someone else.

September 7, 2005, 10:41 AM
That adds another $40 if I go that route. What is the penalty (monetary or otherwise) if the firearms aren't registered?

What if I simply store them out of state where I bought them? That would be legal, correct?

September 7, 2005, 11:15 AM
The FA-10 is pretty easy, and if you send it certified mail there's no wondering if it got lost since you get the green card back.

September 7, 2005, 12:15 PM
I am continuously amazed at how easy it is to get flat-out wrong information on this fine "inter-web" thingy.

Regarding ship to FFL and LONG firearms go to the GOAL web site and look in (there is a section on long guns).

If you are not a member and you are a Mass resident JOIN, dammit.

Peet (in W.MA.)

September 7, 2005, 12:24 PM
I'd love to join. I have a few slightly higher priorities money-wise, though.

September 7, 2005, 10:22 PM
So tell us Peet, exactly which erroneous info here are you referring to?

If you enjoyed reading about "Buying longguns out of state? MA resident" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!