Movie: Red Dragon

PDA

QKRTHNU
March 25, 2003, 03:15 PM
Have you seen Red Dragon?

*********Spoiler**********

I thought it displayed firearms in a good light. They helped save the day twice.

In the beginning when Lector tried to kill Graham he was "stopped" (not killed) after being shot several times.

Then when Graham realized that his home address has been revealed to Dolarhyde he decides to give his wife some target practice.

At the end of the movie there is a shoot-out between Graham and Dolarhyde in which they are both hit by several rounds and seriously wounded. Graham's wife then picks up her husband's revolver and puts a final shot into Dolarhyde's head.

If you enjoyed reading about "Movie: Red Dragon" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Average Guy
March 25, 2003, 08:47 PM
Saw it. Enjoyed it. And now that I think about it, all that stuff didn't even make an impression. Perhaps because it is as it should be.

If they'd villified guns, of course, I'd have noticed.

CB900F
March 25, 2003, 08:55 PM
Hmmm. Do you realize that this is the first of the Thomas Harris books that the movies were made from? Now I haven't bothered to watch any of the movies, but I have read all of the books. The Red Dragon was the one that I would have bet would never have been made into a movie - if it remained faithfull to the book.

I have to admit a mild curiosity as to how they did the adaptation, but not enough to spend money on it. Particularly with the noises coming out of Holier-than-thou-ywood nowdays. 900F

Razor
March 25, 2003, 09:08 PM
The Red Dragon was the one that I would have bet would never have been made into a movie - if it remained faithfull to the book.

Red Dragon was also made into Michael Mann's Manhunter in 1986.

Mike Irwin
March 25, 2003, 10:10 PM
Manhunter stank on ice...

TexasVet
March 25, 2003, 10:12 PM
Which, judging from the short mentions here, is MUCH more faithful to the book. It starred the lead guy from CSI (Vegas version), William Peterson, and he played the main character very much like the one in the book.

Joe Demko
March 26, 2003, 07:42 AM
"Manhunter" was, overall, a better adaptation of "Red Dragon" than the more recent "Red Dragon" movie. Brian Cox was considerably less memorable as Hannibal Lecter than Anthony Hopkins was in the role; though Hopkins is getting increasingly hammy with each new movie.

Mike Irwin
March 26, 2003, 12:22 PM
Interesting.

I haven't seen the new Red Dragon yet, but I have seen Manhunter, and I wasn't particularly impressed with it's fidelity to the book.

Wayne D
March 26, 2003, 12:43 PM
If I remember correctly, Manhunter stayed fairly close to the book until the end. Mann’s ending was much more dramatic (a good movie ending) but nothing like the book. I haven’t seen Red Dragon yet, but it sounds like they are trying to cash in on Lector’s popularity by giving him a much larger part in the movie than he actually had in the book.

cratz2
March 26, 2003, 03:03 PM
I like the series and Silence is probably my wife's very favorite movie. Red Dragon is the second best one by far IMNSHO.

Manhunter was just a 2 hour episode of Miami Vice. And whoever cast the guy as Lecter... way off. I doubt if Lecter ever chewed gum in his life. I really can't believe they made Hannibal into a movie. The book was a joke, extremely over the top. I was really disappointed to see Hopkins take the role. Hope he got a full 20 million.

If you enjoyed reading about "Movie: Red Dragon" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!