Got to handle a Beretta Vertec today.

PDA

firestar
March 25, 2003, 05:40 PM
I went to a local gun store and I saw a Vertec for the first time. I guess it is not a big seller or I would have seen them before.

My general impressions are mixed. Here are the good points:
MUCH, MUCH improved grip. I really like the smaller grip, it fits my hand much better and seems to point a little better also.

Bad points: I didn't like that stupid "tactical rail". Why did they feel they needed to do that? I wish they just made a way to mount the rail for the people that wanted it but didn't make it integeral. It looks like a "me too" type of feature and I think is just a selling ploy. Whatever.:rolleyes: Also, the fit and finish was not nearly as nice as my 92FS. I was a little dissapointed in this as I came to expect the best out of the Beretta line. It was not as smooth as my 92FS either. The price was $620 NIB. I think that is a little high but then again, I seem to think everything is too expensive.:D

Would I buy one? Not for that kind of cash. I got my 92FS with nite sights for about $350 used and feel it is a much better made gun. If I found one for $300-350 I would really think hard about it and probably buy it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Got to handle a Beretta Vertec today." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Skunkabilly
March 25, 2003, 06:10 PM
The rail, I don't think hurts. The Vertec lacks the grace of the 92FS in the first place, and has an all-bidness type of karma.

I may go Vertec just on that it may point better...we'll see.

Logistar
March 25, 2003, 06:28 PM
Vertec seems to have a worse trigger than standard model. - that is easily fixed.

Otherwise, gun performs well. As for the rail....

1. Gives you more options.
2. It doesn't seem as "ugly" once you get used to it. (Seriously)

The fit and finish on my Beretta Vertec seemed just as good as any I have seen. The ONLY problem I had was the the front sight was not perfectly centered in the dovetail. I had Beretta replace the rear sight with an adjustible one and had them center the front sight. - Otherwise this gun has been perfect.

FWIW

Logistar

10-Ring
March 25, 2003, 06:34 PM
I got a chance to handle a Vertec yesterday afternoon. It's just 'OK' in my book. Maybe if I had a chance to actually shoot one my opinion would change, but there are other options I'd get before I get a Vertec.

cool45auto
March 25, 2003, 06:49 PM
My Vertec is the only one I've owned or shot so I can't give an opinion on the trigger pull difference. I can tell you how much I love this gun, though!:D

Logistar: How did you go about getting Beretta to put in an adjustable rear sight? I'd like to do that myself.

Logistar
March 25, 2003, 08:23 PM
Cool9mm ,

I could not move that front sight myself so I sent it back to Beretta to have them center it. I had always wanted adjustible sights so while it was there I asked them to install an adjustible rear sight. - Cost me about $90 though :eek:

The new sight comes with 3 "leaves" (you pick the one that best fits for elevation). You can adjust windage with two allen screws. -looks almost identical to the original sight.

Now I have it sighted in and it works fine. I don't feel that the adjustible sights are any more likely to snag that the original.

Both sights are pretty TIGHT in that dovetail. If you can get the original OUT then you can probably get the new one in. I didn't feel comfortable doing it myself. (Mainly worried about marring up the gun.)

Logistar

firestar
March 25, 2003, 08:26 PM
The only thing that I thought was a improvement to the 92FS was the smaller grip but that goes a long way in my book. I would like to have one but unless I can find an unhappy owner who is willing to sell his cheap, I think I can live without it for a while. Berettas are nice and once you own one, you are hooked.

I am working on another 9mm right now. I have a Argentine Hi Power that seems to have potential. I am doing a little bit of work to it and then I will see how I like it. I call it the Commander Hi Power as it has a shorter bbl.

cool45auto
March 25, 2003, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the info Logistar!:cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "Got to handle a Beretta Vertec today." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!