Need some advice... Ammo and storage temp.

PDA

Working Man
August 26, 2005, 07:37 PM
I am looking at putting a lock box in my truck so that if I am at a place that
does not allow me to carry a my CCW legally I don't have to just leave it
loose in the truck simply "hidden" :uhoh: . If I had a lock box that would
mean I could leave it there while I am at work or school and have it while
in transit. Usually if I am going somewhere after work I go home first to get
my CCW then out, a real pain.

The problem is it gets hot here and in my truck it is like an oven. The
thermometer I put in my truck sometimes reaches 140+ and that's with out
the sun directly hitting it or what it is attached to.

Is that too hot for the ammo? I don't want my gun going off unless I'm
pointing it at something and pulling the trigger.

Anybody know ammo temp specs?

If you enjoyed reading about "Need some advice... Ammo and storage temp." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
M2 Carbine
August 26, 2005, 07:52 PM
I've left pistols and rifles in my vehicles 24/7 in the Texas heat for sometimes years at a time. When I get around to shooting the carried ammo it's never failed to fire.

hotpig
August 27, 2005, 01:10 AM
I work as a Arson Investigator. Often I have to put the fire out before starting my Investigation. My G17 is always on my side when I enter a burning building.

mustanger98
August 27, 2005, 01:27 AM
Of course, there are those who claim to keep their ammo in the freezer. :scrutiny:

hotpig
August 27, 2005, 01:35 AM
I would not go that far. I do keep guns and ammo in my car year around. It can get very hot and very cold in this region(sometimes all in the same day).

Taurus 66
August 27, 2005, 01:43 AM
Ammunition can take more abuse than the inside of your vehicle can deliver, hot or cold. That's the simplest way to put it.

Monkeyleg
August 27, 2005, 06:47 PM
I bought a bunch of Portugese 7.62 Nato back in January. For whatever reason--laziness, probably--I left it on the floor of my car through temps in the teens, temps near 100, high humidity, low humidity.

Shot some today, and it's fine.

But I wouldn't store it that way for years.

Working Man
August 29, 2005, 12:08 PM
Thanks... thats the type of info I was looking for. Actual temps or people
who have done it for a while.

m39fan
August 29, 2005, 05:02 PM
I believe the long-term storage bunkers at NSWC Crane were temperature controlled in the mid-60's to low-70's. About the same temps you'd like to be in! I'll check with my wife tonight but she might not remember as she was in the business of blowing things up!

Anyone else have any experience with the millitary storage facilities?

Take Care,
Mike

72Rover
August 29, 2005, 05:14 PM
I had to appraise portions of the Yorktown Naval Weapons Station years ago, with a whole bunch of ammo bunkers. Most had been allowed to 'lie fallow' without much in the way of maintenance or ventilation and I didn't think they were good for much besides mushroom farming. Even underground, you need that climate control.

The same facility used to keep the powder bags for the 16" naval guns on barges...some bright spark had the idea that the river water would cool and/or heat the contents for long-term storage. Never mind the humidity - or the fact that the barges actually turned into closed ovens in the summer. I think the last of these powder charges were loaded a half-century ago.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need some advice... Ammo and storage temp." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!