Vampire Hunting

PDA

FSCJedi
August 27, 2005, 01:48 PM
Well, hey, I figured with the zombie thread going on, I could at least see if anyone was interested in fighting this vastly superior form of undead. *shrug*

So what would you use? I personally have looked into having some silver bullets made for my 9mm. I found a custom silver casting company based out of Rhode Island that told me they could make me any size I wanted (in PURE silver), I just had to send them the size bullet I want molded. I think I'm gonna send 'em a 147 grain FMJ, then ask them to swag it down a few thousandths of an inch so it doesn't destroy the rifling in my pistol. I even had my local engraver carve crosses onto the nickle casings. After everything is loaded up, I'm gettin' the whole lot blessed by a priest. Incindiary rounds would also be useful against most vampires since they tend to be vunerable to fire.

Then I thought about buying some oak dowel rods that would fit in the barrel of my pistol and putting a primer on one end, and sharpening the other. The rods would have to be wide enough in diameter to have some friction so that it catches the rifling and won't fall out of the barrel, but I think that'll be easy enough to find. Instant stake launcher!

Last but not least, filling clear shotgun shell hulls with silver jewelers shot (used for repairing silver jewelry). Only to be used in a steel sleeved barrel, and preferably something short (18" or less). Though some slugs carved out of oak, then marginally hollowed out and inserted with holy water filled glass vials might be nice... hmmm...

So what say you? Obviously I was just talking about firearms here. My choice in melee weapons is a completely different story. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Vampire Hunting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gripper
August 27, 2005, 02:17 PM
Is there any sort of nyclad -type coating that could be used over a uni-metal(like silver)composition bullet??Then,you might not need to swage it down any.Gets me thinking of the anti-vampire version of the old Balle-D(WWI 8mm Lebel round).

bogie
August 27, 2005, 03:48 PM
Okay. Everyone here's living in a fantasy world.

CleverName
August 27, 2005, 08:57 PM
Question is, how do we ensure that they're exposed to silver without direct silver-steel barrel contact?

My answer? Sabots. Silver slug, maybe some lead for weight in the back, from a dedicated slug gun.

And couldn't we just get a portable tanning bed and give them sunburns?

Mnemesyne
August 27, 2005, 09:05 PM
For Vampires it's wooden stakes or holy water....If you're wanting to use silver bullets, you'd need to find yourself some Werewolves o.O

cracked butt
August 27, 2005, 09:13 PM
I think you are getting your monsters mixed up. Silver bullets are for WEREWOLVES , you need wood, holy water, sunlight, or a decapitation for a vampire.
That being said, something in the range of .458 WM- .50 BMG, should work reliably for decapitation. Always use enough gun for dangerous game.

M-Rex
August 27, 2005, 09:22 PM
I'd go with Hellboy's Samaritan, and his quote about the rounds.

Perfect job for these babies. Made 'em myself. Holy water, clover leaf, silver shavings, white oak... the works.

Might as well be sure. ;)

Third_Rail
August 28, 2005, 02:24 AM
Silver is plenty soft enough when dead soft - soft enough that it scratches with fingernail pressure. Casting the silver is EXPENSIVE! It would be cheaper to buy silver bar and turn it down, save the shavings for other fun things.

kbr80
August 28, 2005, 02:30 AM
Vampire Hunting

Easy, 10mm doubletap ammo, bullet removed and replaced with wood slugs :D

CleverName
August 28, 2005, 02:46 AM
I think the problem is that there isn't one clear set of rules for vampire hunting. Do crosses/holy water/stakes work? The movie Blade says nope. Bram Stoker's Dracula (the movie with Gary Oldman) says sunlight doesn't work. Underworld says that only sunlight works.

So, what does that leave us with... fire and garlic? So we all cary thermite, incendiary ammo, and flares, and eat pesto by the ton?

coonan357
August 28, 2005, 04:29 AM
Gripper the Lebel uses cupro-nickel , not cupro-silver... they do have a silver finish to them .

JSR
August 28, 2005, 04:42 AM
I use Lasercast for werewolves. Theres not enough silver in them to kill them but it makes them to sick to their stomach to eat... me. :rolleyes:

CleverName
August 28, 2005, 05:24 AM
I've got it - the surefire way to kill a vampire:
We decapitate, stake through the heart, shoot with silver bullets melted down from a crucifix, sprinkle with holy water, put garlic down his throat, have a priest say something, and set the vampire on fire, all at dawn.

That should just about cover it.

Unless he goes bat/mist, how the heck do we fight a mist? Air filtration screens? Industrial fans?

c_yeager
August 28, 2005, 05:40 AM
You can buy silver that has already been cast into rods of varying diameter clear down to .250". The easy way to do this would be to simply fit a very short length of simver rod into the cavity of a backwards-loaded HBWC and call it a day. (the same could theoretically be done with a wood dowel).

I dont generally worry about mythical creatures enough to load up for them though.

chopinbloc
August 28, 2005, 05:57 AM
what are winchester silvertips made with? i'm guessing it's not silver but my buddy's convinced it is.

some shotshells use cork wads. one could pack the cavity of a hollow point with cork or balsa wood, but that's not much of a stake. if you did the same with garlic and holy water that ought to work. could cap it off with wax or hot glue. 'nother reason for those 200 grain flying ashtrays. the myths are never specific about quantities of the offensive stuff, though. would a pinch of garlic, sawdust and holywater injected directly to the heart be sufficient? wouldn't a bow and arrow be ideal? never see 'em fighting vampires with a bow in those movies. i'm betting on the flamethrower and the wooden twelve guage slugs filled with garlic and holy water. oooh, oooh, what about those dragon's breath 12ga rounds? and does a 500 lumen surefire weaponlight come close enough to sunlight?

brerrabbit
August 28, 2005, 07:35 AM
Someone already poined out the bit about silver being for werewolves not vmpires. Try lignus vitae bullets. the name is latin for living wood. It is a super dense wood used for many types of hand tools back in the old days.
A good reloader could probably figure out how to do it right, but I figure turning out a few slugs on a lathe then partially filling them with lead would make some decent wadcutters for a .45 or other large caliber weapon.
If nothing else, use if for shot in a shotgun. it would probably work for close range encounters with the undead.

grendelbane
August 28, 2005, 08:54 AM
Someone already poined out the bit about silver being for werewolves not vmpires.

I have to disagree. A silver bullet through the heart will kill any vampire or werewolf.

I just searched Bram Stoker's Dracula, and the word silver only appears 12 times. Never in connection with bullets.

E-Bay recently auctioned a late 19th century vampire killing kit. It included some cartridges loaded with purported silver bullets.

earthworm
August 28, 2005, 12:53 PM
brerrabbit beat me to the punch:I was gonna suggest a revolver with wood bullets (which I understand actually existed in the past & are specifically banned by the Geneva Convention.Any historians out there?).
Or ***:just blow their heads off with a 12 gauge:decapitation is mythologically accurate*G*.

meathammer
August 28, 2005, 01:37 PM
I would have to say flamethrower. All forms of monsters: zombies, mummies, werewolves, vampires, etc. are susceptible to immolation.

Maybe a bow/crossbow for vampires with wooden arrows or bolts. I think the key is to have the stake "stick" though and not pass through.

These threads crack me up.

:D

--meathammer

meathammer
August 28, 2005, 01:39 PM
chopinbloc mentioned a Surefire. That could work if fitted with an ultraviolet lamp.

Edited to add: Anti-Bloodsucker Weapons (http://www.kardwell.com/uv1.html)

:D

--meathammer

SkunkApe
August 28, 2005, 02:14 PM
Found these wooden bullets for sale. Scroll about halfway down:

6.5 X 55 SWEDISH AMMO with WOODEN BULLETS

Swedish Mfg. NC/BE Brass Cases. Par Packed 20 rds per box 200 rds per pack. 800 rds per case. Wt. 28# per case. Special care must be taken when firing this ammo. Wooden bullets can penetrate.

* 11.9 cents per Round
* 200 rds $ 23.80
* $ 95.20 per case

http://www.samcoglobal.com/ammo.html

johnster999
August 28, 2005, 02:34 PM
There ya go. Wooden bullets. To be on the safe side, you could coat the tip with some silver.

Agent P
August 28, 2005, 03:50 PM
I'd bring along that UV lamp thingie from "Blade".

Don't forget to pack some vervain to prevent your mind from being influenced!

JSR
August 28, 2005, 04:04 PM
Ala "The Lost Boys",a Super Soaker full of holy water?

TMM
August 28, 2005, 11:09 PM
haha! i love this!

would pure silver really damage the bore that much? i woulnd't think so.

FSCjedi: how would the dowel+primer work? no rim for revos, or rebated rim for autos...

12g. loaded with that flamethrower stuff, silver bits, wooden slugs... a shotgun is VERY handy... just stuff whatever you can in that shell and you're good to go.

~TMM

GT
August 29, 2005, 12:40 AM
There was a cheesy vampire movie with Bon Jovi (yeah I know) and some big * was packing a shotgun with wooden slugs. Looked good, worked great!

And in Blade, Whistler says his bullets are "silver hollow points filled with garlic".

Buffy always liked the crossbow of course.

G

Edited because that word is not cool on THR

Hardware
August 29, 2005, 02:03 AM
Traditionally vampires were killed with two methods. In the modern legends the method is an oak, and only an oak stake through the heart. This only immobilizes the vampire. The vampire must then be beheaded or immersed in running water. The older legends from south eastern europe say that a leaded sword through the stomach is the way to kill a vampire. If you vampire just happens to be a chinese vampire hang it up. It's just easier to let it get you. These things are superhuman and not succeptible to the light of day.

Me, I'd go for fire hardened oak stakes fired out of a side by side shotgun. Plus a few oak shivs on hand to go in the old fashioned way. Super soaker full of holy water might not be a bad idea if it works. Let's not forget crosses and garlic. :)

Trebor
August 29, 2005, 08:39 AM
I dont generally worry about mythical creatures enough to load up for them though.

I agree. There should be a line between "preparedness" and "insanity." It seems that line is thinner for some people than for others.

Trebor
August 29, 2005, 08:41 AM
If you vampire just happens to be a chinese vampire hang it up. It's just easier to let it get you. These things are superhuman and not succeptible to the light of day

Yes, but if you leave a bowl of rice outside your door, they have to stop and count every grain. I wonder if throwing rice on the ground in front of them would also slow them down.

Correia
August 29, 2005, 02:20 PM
S&T is for serious topics, which this just plain is not. :) Off to general.

jefnvk
August 29, 2005, 02:23 PM
SkunkApe beat me to it. I got a Swede, and know where to get wooden bullets :D

Just another reason why the Swedes = Perfection

CAS700850
August 29, 2005, 02:54 PM
I was with a group of guys watching vampire movies around halloween a few years back. Wife was away, it was before kids, etc.

Anyways, most of us were gunnies. One is an artsy/former goth-vampire lover who grew up and joined the business world. Anyways, silver is supposed to historically have been used against evil beings because of its purity. This is supposedly why it works for bullets in the Blade movie. I believe his sword is also supposed to be silver, which is why it is effective on the un-dead.

Personally, I've always figred it would be CQB, so a 12 gauge with the shot cup filled with wood shavings should do well. Wood slugs would be great as well, as they would have minimal recoil.

Then again, where's that homemade flamethrower that was floating around here the other day??? :D

Third_Rail
August 29, 2005, 04:33 PM
Correia edited his post, so I edited mine. I wouldn't mind proofing that, though... PM me if you'd like a reader. :D

Correia
August 29, 2005, 04:43 PM
Thought better of posting that excerpt from my book and deleted it. It was especially strange out of context. :)

BeLikeTrey
August 29, 2005, 04:44 PM
offers a conversion for 9mm to shoot crossbow like bolts...

Just FYI ;)

Correia, sounds like you may need to have your hunters use different Ammo

Also folks check out the BBC (or some english channel) mini-series ULTRAVIOLET. It was pretty neat and was on an allday marathon a couple of years ago on SCIFI. :cool:

found the info
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A590843

Correia
August 29, 2005, 05:04 PM
BeLikeTrey,

Once again, all context. That's why I pulled the excerpt.

It all kind of depends on the mythology that the creator of the fiction is using, and what effect they are going for. In my book they are hard to kill with anything short of an 81mm mortar or an RPG. Wood? Nope. Cross bow bolts/arrows? Too slow. In my world the stake through the heart is only good to slow them down, or paralyze the weaker ones, and that is only while it is actually stuck in the heart. And the only sure way is to burn them to ash, or remove the brain from the body. All regular wounds heal rapidly, and in the case of the tough ones, almost instantly. Silver at least hurts a little. :p

Jeff Timm
August 29, 2005, 05:13 PM
Take two priests, a 55 gallon drum of holy water and the 7th, 8th, and 9th grade classes from a large Catholic School armed with high power super soakers. And if Buffy the Vampire Slayer (TM) shows up, instant wet T-shirt contest.

Geoff
Who would love to see this scene on the big screen. :what:

G36-UK
August 29, 2005, 05:22 PM
Why not get a customised pistol in .454, and just for backup, get a really cute partner with a 30mm cannon? :D

foghornl
August 30, 2005, 10:29 AM
Hmmmm OK, I'll play

My all-monster/zombie/vampire butt-stomper round:

Hollow silver buckshot, hollows filled with holy water/garlic powder mix, and some oak crucifix-shaped flechettes should do it. Second round should be a "Dragon's Breath" load.

:p :scrutiny:

Werewolf
August 30, 2005, 10:53 AM
Second round should be a "Dragon's Breath" load. Uhhhhhhhh.....

What's that?

CajunsMisty
August 30, 2005, 11:31 AM
OK, I have seen EVERY episode of Buffy/Angel/Charmed as well as various vampire/zombie/monster movies. I'll keep the gun for human bad guys as well as zombies (shoot 'em in the head). For the vamps etc. I'll keep a weapons chest full of stakes, crossbows, swords, knives, battle axes, etc. Not to mention a pharmocopia for creating various vanquishing potions. :cool:

BeLikeTrey
August 30, 2005, 11:52 AM
Any chance that was the basis for the strain on the "priests" and the resilience of the "demon"

I really like the difficulty aspect, and the all out insurmountable odds feeling, the story gave. Wish you hadn't pulled it:(

Kalashnikov
August 30, 2005, 11:57 AM
I've read alot of these posts and the most deffinative answers seem to be:
#1.Fire
#2.Silver
#3.Garlic
So why not get a spudgun and combine the three? Flaming silver garlic! :neener:

SLCDave
August 30, 2005, 12:12 PM
I was gonna suggest a revolver with wood bullets (which I understand actually existed in the past & are specifically banned by the Geneva Convention.Any historians out there?).

Yeah, like there are any vampires that are bound to the Geneva Convention/Hague Accord... :neener:

foghornl
August 30, 2005, 12:59 PM
"Dragon's Breath" as a shotgun sheel that fires a BIG flash...it must be magnesium powder, or something like that.

Search the shotguns forum here in THR for an article from "Preacherman" about an incident with Dragon's Breath loads...but do not read while slurping your favorite beverage. You will have a drowned monito & keyboard.

Correia
August 30, 2005, 01:33 PM
Trey, thank you. I'm rather proud of the actual book, and am working hard to get it published by an actual publisher. Unfortunately I have to keep taking it back and revising it to suit the professionals, but that is all part of the game, but at least I have my foot in the door.

My novel started out as my idea of what would happen if all the horrors of fiction and b-movies were real, and how practical people (like the kind that frequent gun boards it seems) would deal with them for fun and profit. :) I've had to tone down the gun-nuttery (or Riot Nerd Weaponspeak as John Shirley calls it) for broader audience appeal.

As for insurmountable odds, got to admit, I went nuts on that. My main bad guy (not saying what he is) could eat a stack of bibles and wash them down with a lit Molotov cocktail. :)

biere
August 30, 2005, 01:34 PM
There was some serious discussion on how to make your own silver bullet in a past thread so some searches on silver bullets or your pick of the monsters should turn up some stuff.

For those who missed it the first time around, a search on dragon's breath rounds is well worth it for that one post mentioned above. I have not read it for years, but it is very memorable.

CleverName
August 30, 2005, 08:41 PM
Dragon's Breath is some sort of load that, when fired, turns your shotgun into a short-term flamethrower. Obviously, since I live in a fire-hazard nanny state, I'm not going to fire one of these any time soon. However, I've heard that it is... inadvisible to use these in a semi-auto as they burn longer than the cyclic rate of a usual semi-auto. A jet of hot burning anything coming out of my ejection port would tend to ruin my day (not to mention my clothes)

It got popular as an "anti-vampire" load because of the influential "World of Darkness" RPG world, which was truly innovative for its time. Now, though, "overwraught" would be the kindest adjective used for the original, especially the vampire component.

magsnubby
August 31, 2005, 09:36 PM
You guys are making it harder than it needs to be. Just go to Wal Mart and ask for some "Vampire Eradication Ammunition". It comes in a black box and in various calibers. They also have ammo for zombies, werewolfs and various other creatures.

mustanger98
August 31, 2005, 10:03 PM
would pure silver really damage the bore that much? i woulnd't think so.

Pure silver may not damage the bore, but I recall on the History Channel they told a history of early rifles. They told about this one priest who tried to say rifles were evil because they, with lead ball, were more accurate than muskets. This priest had a "test" done with lead ball and silver ball, the latter having engraved crosses and having been blessed. The lead ball hit. The silver ball didn't. His case was almost made. Thing is, they said the reason his results were skewed is silver don't grab the rifling like lead does.

FSCjedi: how would the dowel+primer work? no rim for revos, or rebated rim for autos...

I thought of that once when I'd watched a little too much Buffy. I swore off. As for the dowel itself, I'm thinking a sabot would be in order. Anti-vampire accellorator rounds.

There was Van Helsing's automatic crossbow. Was that semi-auto or full auto?

RyanM
August 31, 2005, 10:47 PM
Isn't iron supposed to be effective against some forces of evil, as well? Just ghosts, or vampires as well?

torpid
August 31, 2005, 10:55 PM
Ugh, please stop wasting forum space with such fictional "what if vampires..." drivel. Some of us actually enjoy discussing how to deal with real-life threats.

(Like zombies!)

;)

mustanger98
August 31, 2005, 11:17 PM
I heard somewhere that iron'll kill leprechauns. But you don't want to shoot that unless its' saboted.

FSCJedi
September 5, 2005, 12:27 AM
Cold forged iron is useful against any type of fey creature. By cold forged, I mean having been pounded into shape without being heated. It's also useful against some demons... or is it devils? hmm... where's my monster manual? :D

Anyways, I think I'd trust cold iron headed arrows more than a rough pounded sabot... although maybe you could have it milled... hmmm

Much to think on.

How would one go about having some oak shotgun slugs made?

mustanger98
September 5, 2005, 12:34 AM
How would one go about having some oak shotgun slugs made?

I'd say turn 'em on a lathe. It'd be a lot less iffy than whittling 'em out. Thing is, are we talking old fashioned Foster slugs or sabots? If it's Fosters you'd have to mark the rifling cuts and cut 'em in with a Dremel.

Anyways, I think I'd trust cold iron headed arrows more than a rough pounded sabot... although maybe you could have it milled... hmmm

Right... but with the sabots, you'd pound out the rough blanks, them put them on a lathe and slick 'em up so they balance and fly right.

Cold forged iron arrowheads wouldn't be a problem to make. Make 'em a really pointy three-sided deal...

Koobuh
September 5, 2005, 04:48 AM
Why not get a customised pistol in .454, and just for backup, get a really cute partner with a 30mm cannon? :D

And you're the only one that mentioned this particular bit? :mad:
Rocking awesome series, and the books are even better. Gotta love vampire and werewolf Nazis... and how thoroughly they get put through the grinder.
That author has a serious mili-fetish going on. :) Can't wait for the new anime to come out.

As I recall, only catching the beast while it sleeps in its coffin, then taking off the head and burning it separately from the body will destroy it.
Then there are the MD weapons- I hear silver-plated rounds out of a railgun do rather well, but god forbid you let them get close enough to put dents in your armor. That stuff COSTS to get fixed.

So far as 'real' vampires go... I heard a rather terrifying account on CtCAM from a Catholic priest about his encounter with what he believed to be a vampire. Not a physical being, oh no... nothing so tangible. More like a demonic force, floating around in the shape of a fog near a graveyard at twilight. Nothing you're going to do against that, faith and prayer is your only hope.

Third_Rail
September 5, 2005, 08:49 AM
Is it wrong to get firearms blessed so that they may do only His bidding? :D

Just asking, is all...

ezypikns
September 5, 2005, 12:56 PM
devoted to this???????

Firethorn
September 6, 2005, 01:06 AM
Yes ezypikns, this.

Three pages are nothing. We have hundreds on zombies. Vampires just aren't as great of a threat. :neener:

As for werewolves, well, they're downright easy when one acts up.

Truth is, is that the vampire and werewolves mostly know the rules, so we don't need to do anything, but the bloody zombies don't know enough not to go around chewing on people. :evil:

chopinbloc
September 6, 2005, 05:30 AM
look, zombies may come about because of a mutated rabies virus or some such, but vampires are real. they wear pocket protectors and work for the government.

50 Freak
September 6, 2005, 05:47 AM
For the record....

Blade's sword is made of titanium with a silver etch/coat. Not all silver (which would be too weak).

Gosh I need to get a life... :( :(

CajunBass
September 6, 2005, 08:42 AM
Is it wrong to get firearms blessed so that they may do only His bidding?

Just asking, is all...

I'm not sure, but IIRC I've seen pictures of crusaders having their swords blessed.

Rabid Rabbit
September 6, 2005, 12:01 PM
I'm stocking up on the wooden training rounds for my 1894 6.5mm mauser. So I'm covered out to 200 yds. I bet I could find some wooden beads at a crafts store for the shotgun for the close up work or maybe some small wooden dowles cut to size and a pencil sharpener action for flechettes.

wayne in boca
September 7, 2005, 07:24 AM
You guys seem to be forgetting that these unholy bloodsuckers can FLY.You wouldn't go skeet shooting with a rifle or handgun,don't risk your neck with one either.Get a good dependable shotgun (Mossberg 590 with bayonet would be nice) and load it up with #6 shot,soaked in garlic,with a few silver #4's among the rest.That way if they go batty you can still be effective against the spawn of Satan.Possibly you could coat the bayo blade with silver and garlic too,or maybe replace it with cold forged iron.Hmmm,back to the workshop.

Chrontius
September 7, 2005, 10:37 AM
Someone raised a good point -- does CNC milling count as 'cold forged'?

If not, how much pounding does it take to get the proper whatever effect?

I've also heard interesting theories about patinaed iron... ^_^

biere
September 7, 2005, 10:31 PM
Someone else can run the search but what I recall about the cold forged stuff was that it took actual working of the metal to make it into a substance that could do away with evil.

Same goes for the patina stuff mentioned, though I am thinking more of damascus type blades since they are made from folding the metal I believe and it is once again the working of the metal that takes it from being something that won't do the job to something that will do the job.

If you research some of the old times they often get into how a material was worked and back then I believe most items were done the hard way because that was the best technology they had back then.

That happens to be all I recall from writing paper in high school on dracula, it was some big senior paper and the bram stokers dracula movie was just coming out about that time and there was all sorts of info everywhere on this sort of subject.

grampster
September 7, 2005, 11:04 PM
This thread gives a whole new meaning to...

I have been.................................hunnnnting. :what:

If you enjoyed reading about "Vampire Hunting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!