Displaying Firearms

PDA

Finch
August 27, 2005, 05:24 PM
I have several older rifles that I would like to hang up on a wall. Can Ya give me some tips on the best way to display firearms on a wall without to much of the fixture hanging out in view. Thanks in advanced guys

If you enjoyed reading about "Displaying Firearms" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mattw
August 27, 2005, 05:37 PM
go to the hardware section in wal-mart and get some of the rubberized hooks with a screw shaft on the end, like for hanging tools or bikes. i think they come in black and red rubber.

steveno
August 27, 2005, 06:22 PM
don't display them where they can be seen from a window. it might help in cutting down on visits from the bad guys

scubie02
August 27, 2005, 06:39 PM
you mean the ATF?

:neener:

larry starling
August 27, 2005, 06:43 PM
you mean the ATF? Funny.... :D

BigG
August 27, 2005, 07:02 PM
Ace Hdwe has some brass coat hanger hooks with small brass screws. Find your studs and put them up. They hang weapons nicely and do not take away from the appearance. About $2 something apiece. You need two per weapon. HTH

LAH
August 27, 2005, 07:20 PM
Deer feet mounted to a nice piece of wood and the wood screwed to the studs work for me.

Preacherman
August 27, 2005, 10:00 PM
One of the nicest displays of wall rifles I've ever seen is in the home of a local hunter. He's got a lovely collection of 19th-century rifles, muskets, etc., none of which are shooters due to metal corrosion, etc., but which look good after he's restored them. He uses animal bone to make "covers" for your typical hardware-store screw-in hooks. This makes the mounts look old-fashioned, but they're actually modern, easy-to-use items. Might be worth trying.

jefnvk
August 27, 2005, 11:07 PM
What about one of those glass and wood display cases?

Greg L
August 28, 2005, 09:49 AM
In the nuts/bolts/nails section of your hardware store you should be able to find what are essentially double ended screws (threads on both ends with a hex area in the middle to grip with pliers). I got some 5/8" dowels about 3" long, painted them the same color as the wall & put the screw in one end. Generally I use 2 per rifle, one through the trigger guard & one under the handguard near the muzzle.

Most of them are hung above outside windows so they can't be seen from outside. Keep the bolts in your safe. If some goblin breaks in all he'll get is a long club.

redneck2
August 28, 2005, 10:39 AM
I have some hangers that I got at the of the home improvement stores. Originally for coats. Wood. Has a dowel peg sticking out/upward at maybe a 10 degree angle, and has a square wood backing maybe 3"x3"'. I use them for my muzzle loaders. Blends nice with the woodwork in the house and won't scratch the gun's finish.

dpesec
August 28, 2005, 11:15 AM
For my collector's editions that's what I have

MachIVshooter
August 28, 2005, 02:26 PM
I use 4" Zinc screws and 1/4" ID semi-rigid plastic tubing. I simply screw into studs at about a 10 degree upward angle and have one through the trigger gaurd, one under the forearm.

lee n. field
August 28, 2005, 03:07 PM
you mean the ATF?
Funny....

In a grim kind of way.

Deer feet mounted to a nice piece of wood and the wood screwed to the studs work for me.

<snort>Is your real name Gaston? :evil: "I use antlers in all of my de-co-rating!"

If you enjoyed reading about "Displaying Firearms" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!