Got some blinkies fo ya'll

PDA

Didorian
August 27, 2005, 08:52 PM
Moderaters, I apologize, but I don't know where this should go, but I wanted to let everyone know where to get these 2nd amendment blinkies...... My GF made em... :D

The Girlfriend says:

If you use these or save these to your computer, just right click on the blinkie and then click "save image as" Make sure you save it as a .gif file. Oh yeah, and the BF came up with these sayings... :D

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/martinablinkies/Made%20by%20me/GUNBLINK1.gif

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/martinablinkies/Made%20by%20me/ammendmentBLINK2.gif

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/martinablinkies/Made%20by%20me/ammendmentBLINK1.gif

I have several Veteran ones too.... but I don't want to get the BF in trouble or anything.

If you enjoyed reading about "Got some blinkies fo ya'll" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tory
August 27, 2005, 09:30 PM
you might try learning how to spell.

Failing that, at least click the spellcheck function. :scrutiny:

Hint: It's AMENDMENT ONE M ! :rolleyes:

Bobo
August 27, 2005, 09:35 PM
"Its" should be "It's"

larry starling
August 27, 2005, 10:02 PM
Here go the grammer police again! :D

carebear
August 27, 2005, 10:09 PM
This would be the spelling Nazi's actually. :D

Grammer can be debated as "colloquial usage", spelling and use of apostrophes are kind of fixed.

"It's" is a pet peeve.

longtooth
August 27, 2005, 10:12 PM
Didorian, I can't spell either. :banghead: I have to use the spell check. I did not catch it until the grammar police pointed out the crime. :eek: You aer inn guood kumpanie frend. :D

Didorian
August 27, 2005, 11:57 PM
Hey guys..... :cuss:
Ya'll be nice..... My GF made these...... :D
She only quoted me..... :neener:
She usually wouldn't have missed those..... And since you have so bluntly pointed those out, she can fix them in like an hour...... :rolleyes:
But ya'll be nice please...... :p
I gotta live with her... :evil:

Longtooth.
Thanx buddy..... It's good to know that some1 understands... LMAO

chris in va
August 28, 2005, 12:01 AM
And to further the thread drift a bit,

Grammer can be debated as "colloquial usage",

That would be 'grammar'. :scrutiny: :neener:

carebear
August 28, 2005, 01:22 AM
You're on the list Chris! :D

RyanM
August 28, 2005, 01:40 AM
How'd you miss that "nazi's" should be "nazis?" And punctuation goes inside the quotation marks!

I think the only rules of grammar that are actually debatable are whether lists of three or more should have a comma before the conjunction (A, B, and C vs. A, B and C), and whether plurals of acronyms should be apostrophized (VCR's vs. VCRs).

modifiedbrowning
August 28, 2005, 02:00 AM
Sorry, but I finally figured out how to add attachments so, here you go. Was my spelling and Grammar correct?

coonan357
August 28, 2005, 02:44 AM
actually guys your TJBNGP'S!!! " The Jack Booted Nazi Grammer Police " (now what did I spell wrong ????) :D :rolleyes:

carebear
August 28, 2005, 03:16 AM
modified,

Nice work.

Ryan, I didn't claim I was one, it was, er, a subtle slam at them (yeah)... ;)

As for t'other, according to the "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" book (which I will probably not finish due to it not being as funny as I expected) the British "pick and choose" whether punctuation is to be placed within or without the quotation marks. So that's MY excuse. :D

joab
August 28, 2005, 03:41 AM
actually guys your TJBNGP'S!!! --(now what did I spell wrong ????)
your--you're
Now give me a dam candy bar

demusn1979
August 28, 2005, 04:14 AM
stick the candybar in the crack in the damn.

carebear
August 28, 2005, 04:17 AM
quit it with the dam widecracks

sfhogman
August 28, 2005, 04:27 AM
You guys owe me a keyboard! And maybe another can of beer.... :scrutiny:
Snarf.

joab
August 28, 2005, 04:33 AM
Snarf.

Shou'nt that be "snark"

modifiedbrowning
August 28, 2005, 04:36 AM
carebear, I didn't make it I found it somewhere.

Steelharp
August 28, 2005, 08:15 AM
Well... TECHnically, it should read, "You'd better..." contracted from "you had better...".

I'm not sure if I should feel better, or duck... :D

TarpleyG
August 28, 2005, 08:33 AM
Well, "your" should be you're and "grammer" should be grammar. How's that?

Greg

Johnny Guest
September 18, 2005, 06:18 PM
I can't believe I found one no one else has mentioned - - actually guys your TJBNGP'S!!! " The Jack Booted Nazi Grammer Police " (now what did I spell wrong ????) Since, by usage, (TJBNGP = The Jack Booted Nazi Grammar Police,) the word "Police" is plural, there is no need for the terminal letter "S."

But, even if it DID need that letter to form the plural, the addition of the letter "S" noes not necessitate an apostrophe. Oh, and, the "S," not being an abbreviation for anything, should be lower case. So: "TJBNPs."

:D
Johnny

Justin
September 18, 2005, 06:44 PM
This is appropriate (http://www.theonion.com/content/node/31525)

Working Man
September 18, 2005, 06:48 PM
You aer inn guood kumpanie frend.

Hey... "kumpanie" sounds suspiciously Nazi to me. :neener:

WarMachine
September 18, 2005, 07:16 PM
This threads make mine head hurted :uhoh:

fistful
September 18, 2005, 07:20 PM
Justin, that was awesome.

Shouldn't NAZI be spelled in capital letters?

Chuck Dye
September 18, 2005, 10:13 PM
modifiedbrowning,

Was my spelling and Grammar correct?

WERE my...grrrrrr! :D

Fly320s
September 18, 2005, 10:22 PM
One for RyanM
whether plurals of acronyms should be apostrophized (VCR's vs. VCRs).
VCR is an initialization, not an acronym. :neener:

Kim
September 18, 2005, 10:23 PM
:p :p :p :p :p :p HA!

Taurus 66
September 18, 2005, 10:24 PM
WarMachine, your signature has you down for one "Remingtion 597". Since we're all helping one another tidy up their english, I thought I'd pass that along. :)

Do any of us make twice the minimum wage? ... just curious

joab
September 18, 2005, 11:09 PM
AnymoreI don't hardly even know what y'all's talkin about

1911 guy
September 19, 2005, 02:07 AM
This threads make mine head hurted

+1

Brian Dale
September 19, 2005, 11:27 AM
OOOOoooooh, lemme get in on this, too!Was my spelling and Grammar correct? Hmmm,

"Was my" {OK...let's see where it leads...}

"spelling" {one thing}

"and" {adds that thing to another thing}

"grammar" {second thing}

"correct?" {"Was" they correct?}

Ow!!!

:evil: :neener: :D

joab
September 19, 2005, 11:36 AM
Got some blinkies fo ya'llcaint believe we missed this one.
It's y'all not ya'll

crazyXgerman
September 19, 2005, 12:55 PM
i'm so glad this forum allows me to not view sigs and avatars... :uhoh:

hso
September 19, 2005, 01:07 PM
:scrutiny: Wouild this be acceptable to Art's Grammer?

Fly320s
September 19, 2005, 05:45 PM
Nice one, HSO. :D

eclipse1
September 21, 2005, 02:23 PM
atakh the postt not the posster, guys :D

ctdonath
September 21, 2005, 10:13 PM
Here go the grammer police again!Flying back from Vegas last week I sat next to a burly dude with a tattoo. That's not someplace you want to have incorrect punctuation - like he did. One misplaced apostrophe, one lifetime of people thinking "wow, you're stupid." I refrained from asking if I could photograph it.

homely
September 21, 2005, 11:27 PM
Grammer can be debated as "colloquial usage", spelling and use of apostrophes are kind of fixed.

"It's" is a pet peeve.

Ah, yes! Thanks for sharing! Pet Peeves. 'Grammer' is one of mine. It's actually 'grammar'.

Tory
September 22, 2005, 12:38 AM
"Grammer can be debated as colloquial usage'"

GrammAr, perhaps.

Spelling and punctuation, no.

Greg L
September 22, 2005, 12:42 AM
I don't know how I missed this thread the first time around :scrutiny: :D .

Was my spelling and Grammar correct?

Well, in this case grammar doesn't need to be capitalized as it isn't a proper noun. But other than that.....

:evil:

Azrael256
September 22, 2005, 02:20 AM
<cartman>I hate you guys. You guys are ***holes. Especially Kenny. I hate him the most.</cartman>
It's y'all not ya'll No, it's "all y'all."
"You" is singular, "Y'all" is dual, and "all y'all" is plural. Where you from, boy?

Aquaholic
September 22, 2005, 06:18 PM
The European Union commissioners have announced that agreement has been reached to adopt English as the preferred language for European communications, rather than German, which was the other possibility. As part of the negotiations, Her Majesty's Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a five-year phased plan for what will be known as EuroEnglish (Euro for short).

In the first year, "s" will be used instead of the soft "c". Sertainly, sivil servants will resieve this news with joy. Also, the hard "c" will be replaced with "k". Not only will this klear up konfusion, but typewriters kan have one less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced by "f". This will make words like "fotograf" 20 per sent shorter.

In the third year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible.

Governments will enkorage the removal of double letters, which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of silent "e"s in the languag is disgrasful, and they would go.

By the fourth year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" by z" and "w" by v

During ze fifz year, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou", and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters.

After zis fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubls or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu understand ech ozer.

Ze drem vil finali kum tru!
:neener:

LynnMassGuy
September 22, 2005, 11:45 PM
Good grief.

joab
September 23, 2005, 11:06 AM
"You" is singular, "Y'all" is dual, and "all y'all" is plural. Where you from, boy?Being from Mobile Alabama I guess I'm not all that well versed in Southern English as should oughta be, but I ain't never heard nobody use all y'all unless they were addressing a large group on an individual level
As in
"All y'all shut up " meaning each and every individual here shut up
As opposed to
"Y'all come over here and watch this guy get his ass kicked" meaning the group needs to come over and watch

The plural of "you all" ain't "all you all"

I know cause I looked it up

RyanM
September 23, 2005, 11:19 AM
Actually, "you" is already plural (it's also the objective form, like her and him; nominative form is "ye"). The singular form is thou/thee.

joab
September 23, 2005, 12:17 PM
Y'all (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ya'll)

You
you
pronoun

1. The person or people, etc spoken or written to, with or without others
Example: When are you all coming to visit us?
2. Any or every person.
Example: You don't often see that nowadays

you-all

You (plural).
Example: You-all take care now

joab
September 23, 2005, 12:29 PM
you-all (yôl) also y'all (yôl)
pron. Chiefly Southern U.S.
You. Used in addressing two or more people or referring to two or more people, one of whom is addressed.
Regional Note: The single most famous feature of Southern United States dialects is the pronoun y'all, sometimes heard in its variant you-all. You-all functions with perfect grammatical regularity as a second person plural pronoun, taking its own possessive you-all's (or less frequently, your-all's, where both parts of the word are inflected for possession): You-all's voices sound alike. Southerners do not, as is sometimes believed, use you-all or y'all for both singular and plural you. A single person may only be addressed as you-all if the speaker implies in the reference other persons not present: Did you-all [you and others] have dinner yet? You and you-all preserve the singular/plural distinction that English used to have in thou and ye, the subject forms of singular and plural you, respectively (thee and you were the singular and plural object forms). The distinction between singular thou/thee and plural ye/you began to blur as early as the 13th century, when the plural form was often used for the singular in formal contexts or to indicate politeness, much as the French use tu for singular and familiar "you," and vous for both plural and polite singular "you." In English, the object form you gradually came to be used in subject position as well, so that the four forms thou, thee, ye, and you collapsed into one form, you. Thou and thee were quite rare in educated speech in the 16th century, and they disappeared completely from standard English in the 18th. However, the distinction between singular and plural you is just as useful as that between other singular and plural pronoun forms, such as I and we. In addition to y'all, other forms for plural you include you-uns, youse, and you guys or youse guys. Youse is common in vernacular varieties in the Northeast, particularly in large cities such as New York and Boston, and is also common in Irish English. You-uns is found in western Pennsylvania and in the Appalachians and probably reflects the Scotch-Irish roots of many European settlers to these regions. You guys and youse guys appear to be newer innovations than the other dialectal forms of plural you. See Note at you-uns.

Now they y'all's learned up on the language, I'ma go get some grits

BigG
September 23, 2005, 12:29 PM
This threads make mine head hurted

Mines too! :uhoh:

joab
September 23, 2005, 12:35 PM
Now we can get off y'all and work on "mines"

Chuck Dye
September 24, 2005, 06:25 AM
A ketch is a sailboat having two masts, a main and a smaller mizzen stepped forward of the wheel. A yawl has two masts, the mizzen stepped aft of the wheel. Both types share a common means of boarding:

the ketch-yawl ladder…

bye, now! :neener:

horge
September 24, 2005, 06:19 PM
Hm. The ketch-yawl ladder.
That oughtta git-er-done.

Tory
September 24, 2005, 08:29 PM
" My GF made these......She usually wouldn't have missed those..... And since you have so bluntly pointed those out, she can fix them in like an hour."

We heard that four weeks ago and they're STILL wrong. Just how is that "like an hour?"

Tells time as well as he spells and punctuates..... :rolleyes:

joab
September 24, 2005, 08:58 PM
Then anyone who came along would have no idea what's going on here

thorn726
September 25, 2005, 03:56 AM

uh, especially when there is a proper use of its

it's time to go.
the dog is barking because i took its bone.

try a grammar check in word if you don't want to believe me

Steelharp
September 25, 2005, 10:20 AM
Uh...

it's time to go.

First letter of a sentence should be a capital.

the dog is barking because i took its bone.

See above, and "i" alone is always capitalized, and "its" is posessive in this case, so it should be its' .

Mods, please don't close this; this is too much fun...

RyanM
September 25, 2005, 11:29 AM
and "its" is posessive in this case, so it should be its' .

Oh, yeah, just like...

I took mes' bone.
I took wes' bone.
I took yous' bone.
I took hims' bone.
I took hers' bone.
I took thems' bone.
I took whoms' bone?

Steelharp
September 25, 2005, 11:51 AM
Why bring ebonics into this? :D

BluesBear
September 25, 2005, 11:53 AM
Its IS the possive form. It's is the contraction for It is.

What gets my goat more than the misuse of your and you're, or the misuse of they're, their and there, is the incorrect use of site and sight. This is a firearms forum. Y'all should know the difference between the sites where we gather to communicate and the sights we use to aim firearms.

Malamute
September 25, 2005, 12:04 PM
".....and probably reflects the Scotch-Irish roots ..."

Scotch is a drink, Scots are a race of people in the Northern British Isles.

I believe "Scots" is proper use. The later usage of "Scotch" for the people is in contradiction to earlier use.

Does common misuse become acceptable at some point?

Steelharp
September 25, 2005, 03:16 PM
Another one that has always bothered me is "try and..." "I'm going to try and do..." It should be, "I'm going to try to do..." If you try AND do it, you did it, you didn't just try.

Chuck Dye
September 25, 2005, 05:36 PM
Bluesbear, why did you not cite some references?

Pet peeve: reference is a NOUN! You can refer to a source or make reference to a source, but you cannot reference a source! GRRRRR!

Tory
September 25, 2005, 05:38 PM
REFERENCE books.

Sounds like an adjective as so used.

But I suspect this fetish of "referencing" something is an infection spread by people trying to sound more educated than they are. :scrutiny:

Steelharp
September 25, 2005, 06:31 PM
I stand corrected... from the New Websters Practical English Handbook:

"The possesive forms of the personal pronouns and the possesive form of the pronoun who are never written with an apostrophe. ... The correct forms to use in order to show possession are the following: my, mine, yours, his, hers, its, ours, theirs, whose. Do not place an apostrophe either before or after the s in any of these words."

Well, BluesBear, you made me look it up, and I found it... sigh. I was wrong. Thanks.

joab
September 25, 2005, 06:40 PM
Oh, yeah, just like...

I took mes' bone.
I took wes' bone.
I took yous' bone.
I took hims' bone.
I took hers' bone.
I took thems' bone.
I took whoms' bone?That's FOB talk

Does common misuse become acceptable at some point?Only in American English, ever heard tell of a Palmetto Bug.
Here's a clue there ain't no such a thing.

As long as we have morphed into pet peeves( I love it when threads do this), how about
"Do or Die"
It's do AND die, dammit read the stupid poem

RyanM
September 25, 2005, 06:51 PM
That's FOB talk

No. If you assume that " its' " is the possessive form of "it," it then follows that " hims' " is the possessive form of him. Similarly, if you assume that "it's" is possessive, so too must "him's" be.

joab
September 25, 2005, 07:10 PM
Congratulations you now speak English as well as my immigrant wife, or she as well as you.
I'm getting confused by all of this.

I'm gonna stick to talking American

BluesBear
September 26, 2005, 04:08 AM
Hims is whut ya sang in chuch.

BluesBear
September 26, 2005, 04:14 AM
Bluesbear, why did you not cite some references? Okay.

Its is the possive form of the pronun It. It's is the contraction for It is.*

*Miss Wyatt's 3rd grade class of 1963-64
Smyrna Elementary School
Jefferson County, Kentucky.

;)

carebear
September 26, 2005, 04:25 AM
"Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true."

chopinbloc
September 26, 2005, 08:19 AM
i feel lucky that i had an english teacher who cared enough to harp on "minor" points like punctuation, in public high school no less. it should be noted that in a venue like this people tend to type how they talk and that's not necessarily a bad thing. even classic literature includes gramatical errors or unusual punctuation in dialogue. you'll also find that people may punctuate in a slightly unorthodox manner to show pauses and emphasis as though they were speaking. further, i might add that there is a big difference between a typo and a spelling error. as for my own disdain of the shift key - i'm mostly just being lazy but ever since reading e. e. cummings i decided that capitalization of the word "i" but not "you" is pretty egotistical, don't you think? another factor that complicates spelling and grammar on this forum is that i suspect a fair number of folks come home after work, crack a beer and start posting. people who know how to speak and spell (HA!, get it?) get to be all thumbs and their posts can be a little cryptic. none of this bothers me all that much. what bothers me is when i see a post saying that they wrote their congresscritter or some journalist about some issue or other and it is obvious that they are incapable of writing clearly. that just makes us all look bad. worst part is that the journalist may get that letter printed so thousands see us as knuckle dragging neanderthals.

joab
September 26, 2005, 05:29 PM
good post, chopinbloc

Malamute
September 27, 2005, 11:46 AM
"good post, chopinbloc"

I concur.

scout26
September 27, 2005, 12:36 PM
I'ma go get some grits

I've never had grits before, can I have just one to see if I like it ???

(attempts to re-start Civil War :neener: ).

+1 chopinbloc

BluesBear
September 27, 2005, 04:44 PM
It's difficult to find good grits in Seattle.

Hell's Bells™ is dang near impossible to find bad grits in Seattle.

Although we do have our fair share of G.R.I.T.S.

(And a few Southern Ladies Up To Something) :evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "Got some blinkies fo ya'll" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!