High-caliber science project

PDA

iapetus
August 28, 2005, 07:42 AM
Or "What's the chance of that?"

I'm currently working on my MSc dissertation (it's about calibrating satellite altimeters, but that's not important right now).

I have a lot of measurements to analyze: calculating averages at different locations, etc.

One of the values comes out as "7.62mm".

"That's neat", I think, but I have loads of values, so its not unlikely that one will come up that is somehow "significant".

But then , a bit later, I'm checking the size of my Word file: 5.56Mb.

A little later, I find I need to resize an image file, to make it the same size as another one. I calculate the rescaling factor, and then run my Graphics package. I'm using Paintshop Pro 2, which frustratingly doesn't have a "resize by x%" function, but instead you have to tell it the new dimensions of the image.

I check the current height of the image: 308 pixels.
And when I multiply it by the rescaling factor it becomes: 222 pixels!

If you enjoyed reading about "High-caliber science project" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dionysusigma
August 28, 2005, 07:48 AM
You need to go shooting. :scrutiny:

BADLY. :uhoh:

Flyboy
August 28, 2005, 01:14 PM
I'm one up on him.

I always shoot badly. :neener:

scott.cr
August 28, 2005, 02:58 PM
Do a good job calibrating those altimeters, lest one of your precious satellites go through a "ballistic" reentry.

Crosshair
August 28, 2005, 11:45 PM
Walmart stock (I work there) is currently worth $45.70. :cool:

P95Carry
August 28, 2005, 11:57 PM
I'm wondering where we could work in 30-06! :p Maybe in UK date terms - something of note occurred on June 30 this year! ;)

ZenMasterJG
August 29, 2005, 12:06 AM
holy heck, someone else who knows *** a .222 is! I thought i was the only one! With the scarcity of 222 ammo, i was almost POSITIVE i was the only one!
:D

PromptCritical
August 29, 2005, 04:33 AM
Listed in the "You might be a gun nut if" list.

Brian Williams
August 29, 2005, 07:47 AM
Who is this Badly we are shooting anyway??? and why do we want to shoot them.

HankB
August 29, 2005, 11:02 AM
It's surprising how often the barometric pressure reported by the TV weatherman just happens to be 30.06 inches . . .

If you enjoyed reading about "High-caliber science project" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!