Hurricane....what would you do with your gun collection?

PDA

Rembrandt
August 28, 2005, 09:15 AM
If you lived in New Orleans with a catgory 5 hurricane coming....would your gun collection leave town with you?

....can't imagine coming back to a salt water soaked safe...

If you enjoyed reading about "Hurricane....what would you do with your gun collection?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
shermacman
August 28, 2005, 09:38 AM
I can imagine coming back to a saltwater soaked safe. :eek: Most of New Orleans is several feet below sea level on a sunny day, Lake Pontchartrain to the North, the Might Miss wrapping around the South. Get out. Take everything valuable and get out. Unless you have a third floor of a reinforced concrete building. Then sit back with a mint Julep.

Rembrandt
August 28, 2005, 09:48 AM
I suppose you could always silicone caulk the door shut and hope for the best....

TIMC
August 28, 2005, 10:45 AM
I think I would take some of the more valuble ones and hope for the best on the rest. and if there was any room left I guess I would load up the wife too!
I should never have to worry about it. I live on top of a hill and it has never flooded here before, one of the main reason's we built here. We are also a little too far inland for even a big hurricane to do too much damage. Good Luck!

Hkmp5sd
August 28, 2005, 10:47 AM
I was fortunate enough to be dead center of the bulleye of 3 hurricanes last year and my guns remained locked in safes. Due to my job, I'm one of the people that gets to work during hurricanes, so evacuation is not an option. Being securely bolted to a concrete slab inside a steel box is the safest place for them. A little water exposure, even seawater isn't going to destroy your guns. If they do get wet, just get them cleaned and dried as fast as possible.

TarpleyG
August 28, 2005, 10:55 AM
Yeah but for NO residents, it may be weeks, even months for them to get back to the safe and crack it open. By then, there will certainly be irreparable damage. I'd take them with me.

Greg

Stauble
August 28, 2005, 11:38 AM
like Hkmp5sd i got to sit through 2 storms last year and 1 storm this year(so far).
id definetly take all of my guns. id take a little ammo in case SHTF and the rest id leave in many plastic bags in a lock box (and hope it doesnt get wet)

rick_reno
August 28, 2005, 11:48 AM
I'd leave, take what I could with me. Let's face it, guns are replaceable.

Firethorn
August 28, 2005, 12:10 PM
I'd take them with me. If I couldn't, well, lots and lots of cosmoline. Sure, I might calk the safe, but I figure that nothing would help more than a thorough coating of heavy oil/grease.

edit: Of course, cleaning them when I go back would be a pain...

thereisnospoon
August 28, 2005, 12:15 PM
First...that's what firearm insurance is for, but Alas, I can hear the "Act of God" line already.

How about some PVC pipe cut to length fixed with a cap at both ends (One fixed, one screw type) and some silicone to seal it up??

Sinmple, except I am not sure I would worry about the guns...I would run for the hills.

Moon
August 28, 2005, 01:56 PM
I left the guns - that is what insurance is for. I did bring a .22 pistol and a 9mm. Both may come in handy during the rescue (one for snakes and the other for looters). Wish us well; we are going to need it.

Cyanide_357
August 28, 2005, 03:00 PM
hmm... this would be an interesting way to keep your guns & ammo dry...

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=153494

Food savers... would at least work for some ammo, and pistols... Maybe you could find large enough roles that you could put some of your long guns in them.

cyanide

WarMachine
August 28, 2005, 04:05 PM
Other than taking them with me, I guess my the only alternative I can think of is to put a nice coat of oil on them and put them in their own individual ziplock bags to keep any water off of them. :uhoh:

Harry Paget Flashman
August 28, 2005, 06:23 PM
At one of our local gun stores that used to do gunsmithing (now closed) I saw some harsh examples of hanguns exposed to salt water tidal surge from Hurricane Ivan. Presumably the owners had evacuated from the beach communities, their houses were swamped and they were unable to retrieve their guns for weeks. The owner of the gun store quit taking in guns to restore because he was so overloaded.

A co-worker, who lives in Midway close to the beach, had waves breaking through his house. It gutted the house, swept away all his furniture and all of his guns. He never found the guns.

At the same store last March I picked up a lightly pitted hard chromed 1911 Series 70 Gold Cup on consignment with six other 1911's from one old guy's collection that had been exposed to rain water from Ivan.

During Hurricane Dennis I put all my handguns that would fit into large freezer bags and put garbage bags over my rifles and shotguns. I also had plenty of WD-40 just in case. Thankfully we came through unscathed.

I like the idea of large PVC pipe, glued on one end and screwed on the other and may look into that.

HSMITH
August 28, 2005, 06:42 PM
I would grease the bores and oil the ever-loving-snot out of the metal after removing the wood/rubber on them and bag them up with a couple layers of black plastic garbage bags. I mean DRENCH them with oil, quarts of motor oil are probably what I would use. I would bag up the wood dry and lock the whole nasty mess in the safe, taking with me only what I can carry and keep track of without worrying about the car getting broken into or anything like that.

CZ-100
August 28, 2005, 07:00 PM
All would be loaded into my travel trailer, which would be hooked to my truck and my family (pets included) and I would be heading out of town.

Actually did this for Hurricane Frances last year. Had 70 gal. of Diesel for the truck and ~60 gal of gas for the generator.

Lonestar.45
August 28, 2005, 10:00 PM
I'd take them, and if I didn't have room, I'd bury 'em in the back yard in some big PVC pipe calked and capped off.

Okay, wishful thinking, I probably wouldn't have time for that. I'd take what I could and oil down the rest real good, run a bead of caulk around the door, and hope for the best. The safe is bolted to the cement foundation, so....in theory it would still be there later. Who knows. I feel for those in that situation.

Hey, isn't there a big D-Day museum down there? Wonder what they're doing with the Garands, Thompsons, etc? :eek:

teCh0010
August 28, 2005, 10:36 PM
I'd take them, and if I didn't have room, I'd bury 'em in the back yard in some big PVC pipe calked and capped off.

If you burried your guns like that in NOLA they would just push through the dirt when the flooding started and sail away. It would be like a .223 message in a bottle.

Standing Wolf
August 28, 2005, 10:38 PM
I wouldn't leave my guns behind, or my computer, or my kitty; my extensive collection of old socks is another matter.

LoneStranger
August 29, 2005, 03:51 AM
The question in my mind is why do you always see people at the last minute going out to get material to weather the storm? One would think that with the frequency of these storms the locals would have material bought at better times, on sale, and precut and stored at their abode.

By the same token what to do with your firearms collection should be thought out long before you need to put it into action.

If things happen that you don't have time to preplan, just moved in or such, the quickest and cheapest would be to use garbage bags with a plastic, waterproof, tape. Would recommend that you use 4 bags pers gun and alternate putting them over each end with taping each one separately. You mission is to create a baffle effect for water leakage. Would also recommend putting guns barrel down in safe. If gun is completely submerged no difference, but if only shallow drowning barrel will deal with water better than stocks.

What do I know? We only have Fire, Flood, and Tornadoes around here and I live on high ground.

MarkDido
August 29, 2005, 08:52 AM
I had to evacuate during Charley last year. Put all the handguns in the truck's tool box (4) and got 4 long guns behind the seats of my Ford Ranger P/U (Mossie 500, Yugo SKS, Mosin M44 and a Marlin .22) All the guns were in cases (hard and soft) so it was perfectly legal driving around like that.

I wondered what would have happened if I had been pulled over:

Deputy: "Afternoon sir, do you have any weapons in your vehicle?"

Mr: "Oh yeah!"

Spot77
August 29, 2005, 09:33 AM
Although I own just shy of a dozen guns, I think my ammo reserves add up to a whole lot more than the value of the guns :evil:

(Hint: Not all of my firearms are cheap ones either!) :neener:

It's be near impossible to save the ammo; although I could probably manage a mags worth......

foghornl
August 29, 2005, 09:51 AM
Take off the wood and glass parts, store them in 55-gallon drum of oil...

:D :D :D :D

Seriously, any high-value collectibles or family heirlooms would leave town with me. Others would get coated in Cosmo, like buying a Mosin-Nagant or SMLE in the oil-wrap paper, after being dunkled in the Cosmo vat.

(The M-44 Mosin-Nagant I bought a couple of years back did look like it had been dunked in a vat of cosmo...so much in the bore I couldn't fit a .22LR bullet in the muzzle.)

one-shot-one
August 29, 2005, 10:32 AM
but i would place my nicest ones in my hard cases, the rest lay down a heavy quilt lay 1st gun down roll quilt 1 turn over it place 2nd gun down repeat till all are rolled up chince up with a couple of belts and place all in locked covered truck bed. they are going with me.

hillbilly
August 29, 2005, 10:59 AM
Easy answer here....

I wouldn't live in a hurricane-prone zone.

hillbilly

AirForceShooter
August 29, 2005, 11:02 AM
easy to answer:
grab the wife , the dog , the BOB and run like hell.

AFS

tracer
August 29, 2005, 11:16 AM
I vote for pistols in freezer bags,inside trash bags inside a portable ice chest,sealed and taped,inside my attic.

Chrontius
August 29, 2005, 01:36 PM
Somebody mentioned seal-a-meals for ammo... Maybe toss in some silica gel for good measure. :D

chaim
August 29, 2005, 02:04 PM
You know, I'm as much a gun nut as anyone else, but frankly there are more important things than guns.

Except with antiques and family heirlooms guns are replaceable, and room in a car or two is limited.

I'd take a couple guns with me for protection but most would be left behind to make room for more important things (not to mention the fact that time may be limited). Instead I'd be sure to bring a good collection of my library of religious books (at least the minimum 3 or 4 I need regularly if I didn't have time/room to take more), my cat (kept in a rather bulky cat carrier which would take a lot of room, plus food and litter), irreplacable family photos, important papers, a backup of important documents from my computer, plenty of food and water, a tent (don't know where I'll stop and if all the facilities will be full), a bug out bag, an additional first aid kit, etc.

This is a situation where you bring what you need, and frankly we only really 'need' one or two guns.

wmenorr67
August 29, 2005, 02:17 PM
I wouldn't live in a hurricane-prone zone

+1

MikeIsaj
August 29, 2005, 03:11 PM
I wouldn't live in a hurricane-prone zone Exactly!

I vacation in Buxton, NC. Been going down there for 40yrs, and lived in NC for 5. I've been asked by many why I never bought a lot down there, the answer is simple. Never leave anything you want to ever see again, within ten miles of the ocean. If you buy a house on the water or near the water, don't put anything in it you aren't prepared to walk away from.

It is no secret that hurricanes favor these areas. It is a game of chance that coastal towns play every year. This time New Orleans loses.

petrel800
August 29, 2005, 03:17 PM
First...that's what firearm insurance is for,

Carefull with that train of thought. Flood is excluded in most property insurance policies. Make sure you actually read the policy instead of assuming that it is covered.

As for the guns, I'd throw a few in the cars and the remainder would get put back in cosmoline.

CAS700850
August 29, 2005, 04:10 PM
petrel has a good point. Most of the damage we're talking about in NOLA is going to be flood damage, and most general home iunsurance policies exclude flood damage.

With that said IF I lived in hurricane country, I think I would bolt the safe to the concrete floor, try to seal if off as best I could with silicone caulk, etc., and grab what's important and run for the high ground.

Wife and I talked about it. In hour or two, we could have both cars loaded with as much as possible and on the road for safety. Link up by FRS radio, keep the kids as happy and quiet as possible with the DVD player in the car.

When we got down to it, we actually realized that with advanced notice, we could get most of what really mattered into one of the cars and leave the rest with a hope and a prayer.

72Rover
August 29, 2005, 05:00 PM
Easy answer here....I wouldn't live in a hurricane-prone zone.

hillbilly

With a track a few degrees westerly, you would be right in Katrina's sights....

There are few areas of this country that are free of enviromnental hazards. Forest fires, mud slides, tornados, floods, ice storms that take out the power for *months*, whatever. Remember, with Camile back in '69, the greatest casualty concentration outside of that ill-advised 'hurricane party' in Pass Christian, MS was Nelson County, VA, and that is a long way from any of the coasts. 18" of rain overnight sure makes living in hill country a tad difficult.

My home sits about 13' above sea level and a half-block from the harbor - and it's the highest point around. Still, tornados don't seem to like water. Infrequent as they are (like *maybe* once a decade), they are rarely over F-0 on the Fujita scale. Quite frankly, I'll take a hurricane - that I can see coming for a week or two - over an F-4 or F-5 I can't - something that'll suck the sill plates right out of a slab foundation.

And lets not forget earthquakes. Of the 10 most powerful earthquakes in the US, two had epicenters in southeastern Missouri/northeastern Arkansas. (The New Madrid earthquakes of 1811 and 1812 that re-routed the Missisippi River rung church bells in Boston. Seven others were in Alaska - California only comes in at the #10 spot in 1857....)

My point being: It's hard to be out of the danger zone. Droughts a result of global warming are causing forest and prarie fires in places that haven't seen such perils in recorded history. It's hard to find a place that's totally safe, so be prepared.

Cheers

Hkmp5sd
August 29, 2005, 05:10 PM
This got me thinking. Several people have stated they would take their expensive guns with them, which would include NFA weapons and in particular machineguns. I wonder what ATF's stance is regarding getting advanced approval to take your machinegun across state lines when dodging a hurricane. Obviously you would not have time to submit and get approval the official way. What if the state you have to run to has a ban on machineguns, does the '86 FOPA protect you?

coonan357
August 29, 2005, 09:16 PM
seal the door and the little hole in the back of the safe would try to pressurize it alittle if I could put the ammo into dry cans and coolers and seal and tie them down somehow ( even though the weight might just hold them down) take apart my reload bench cooler it . pack up what I think is important take my bug out and my racecar and boogie . and don't forget the line I wouldn't live there sometimes is by neccessity not voluntary if you want to make a living .

Ben Shepherd
August 29, 2005, 09:23 PM
I have pcv pipe set up as mentioned above. However, depending on the gun inside, most WILL float. So take that into consideration. All my loaded ammo is sealed in GI ammo cans with tested gaskets. They stay sunk.

Also, all the people being allowed in the superdome were being searched for drugs, kinives, and guns before being allowed in. Something to think about if you have to have this kind of help.

MikeIsaj
August 30, 2005, 10:29 AM
Also, all the people being allowed in the superdome were being searched for drugs, kinives, and guns before being allowed in. Something to think about if you have to have this kind of help.That coment finally made me realise the real point. If you are going to surrender responsibility for your families safety to the government, you also give up the right to decide what you take with you. The bigger lesson is that government never gives, it has nothing to give. Everything it appears to give us, they are either giving back or re-distributing to those it feels are more needy. Government takes, because that's all it can do. When government appears to be giving you something, it's usually an incentive for you to give up rights to it, or become dependant on it.

mfree
August 30, 2005, 10:53 AM
Mix and match... If I was burying a gun I'd probably fill a PVC tube full of good HEAVY HEAVY oil, maybe now quite 100W gear oil but something like 50w or 60W, something that won't easily dissappear if there's a hairline crack. If the water table rises then I'd wrap it in chain first and bury it horizontally.

But then, I'll not be burying anything, because I won't *be* there :) I'd be saying bye-bye early with some guns in easy reach and all the others locked up securely. The ones I would use I'd probably deeply consider removing critical parts and keeping them on my person in case I made a tactical error and lost my vehicle, contents included, to a looter...

hso
August 30, 2005, 11:32 AM
If there's time.

Sock the guns, Seal a Meal each of those, and put the less important ones in the safe. Caulk the safe. Hope for the best.

Absent a safe you could follow the same protocol, but put each bagged gun in a PVC pipe "safe". I like Mfree's idea of chaining the pipe safe. If you were interested in weighting the PVC down you could add ammo for ballast.

The very few truely important ones would get socked/sealed and transported.

This would apply to our collection of knives, crystal, china and art.

Consideration should be given to whether you're expecting a natural disaster that will sweep the structure away (scattering your carefully protected treasures) or just flood/flatten it in place where you can dig them out later.

None of this would be done if it delayed getting out safely. Things can be repared/replaced, people can't.

JohnBT
August 30, 2005, 12:04 PM
"...was Nelson County, VA, and that is a long way from any of the coasts. 18" of rain overnight sure makes living in hill country a tad difficult."

The estimate for one area was 37". I remember seeing a tractor trailer(well the trailer anyway) buried so deep in the mud that only a few inches of the top was showing. The death toll was 120 - more than 1% of the county's population.

With a little warning, I'd take what I could carry, put the rest in trash bags and caulk the door on the safe.

John

Dr.Rob
August 30, 2005, 02:24 PM
Back in the great flood of '73 (near Springfield Ill.) we had all of our new furniture tied to the rafters in the attic and a canoe tied to the porch.. as a kid it was an adventure... can't imagine how scared my parents were...

Dad was "off" from the Air Force for weeks to fill sandbags.

The Levee nearest my house was a mile away and NOTHING was in between us and it.

We had water on three sides of the house.

I went canoing in the cornfield across the street.

I don't recall what dad was planning on doing with his guns back then but I assure you... guns and family photos and other heirlooms would be in the truck on the way out, along with the family dog.

Guns_and_Labs
August 30, 2005, 02:51 PM
For those that I didn't take with me, I'd seal them in rafting dry bags, inside the safe, then caulk and shrink wrap the safe. Might work.

Of course, I live on a ridge 400 feet above the nearest open water, so it's an academic exercise.

Horsesense
August 30, 2005, 05:56 PM
So as we speak there are hundreds of thousands of cars, with the owners most valued possessions in the trunk, setting in the parking lot of motel’s all over the surrounding states. I hope the police and motel owner’s etc are adding some extra security.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hurricane....what would you do with your gun collection?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!