Hand Grenade found at my work today

PDA

Peetmoss
March 25, 2003, 07:05 PM
Yup they found a hand grenade at my work today. I work for a school district in Central NY. It was found in the front lawn of the High School. They brought it over to my building (bus garage) and called the sherrifs dept.

What is messed up is it was a training grenade. It had no explosives in it. The bottom was open. The trigger or what ever you call it on a greanade was blue with a M228 stamp on it if I remember right.

We had sherriffs there very suprised the bomb squad didn't show up. I was very exicited free grenade papper wieght :D. Then they said they would have to take it for evidence LOL. They have been back 3 times and it's still sittin in my tool box. Maybe I will get to keep it after all:D

What a big change from 20 yrs ago when I brought a rocket launcher from Fort Drum to school and everyone wanted to check it out.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hand Grenade found at my work today" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Matt G
March 25, 2003, 08:26 PM
Not at all: When you brought in the grenade launcher, it was for Show and Tell. The grenade on the lawn was a "Hoax Bomb." Big difference.

hoppinglark
March 25, 2003, 09:05 PM
Things have changed. By my senior year of High School it was bad.(1999) I was making a presentation to my Duel Enrollment English 1101 class, and I wasn't even allowed to bring a cap gun into the class...

280PLUS
March 25, 2003, 09:12 PM
ya shoulda been there when i was giving a demonstration of how to use a chef's knife for a speech class and when i pulled out the humongous knife the whole front row slid their desks back about a foot in perfect unison...

:what:

HABU
March 25, 2003, 09:22 PM
Peet, did it have a "complaint Dept." tag on it? :D

Kahr carrier
March 25, 2003, 10:23 PM
Some kid probably stole his dads paperweight.:)

CZ-75
March 26, 2003, 12:17 AM
Maybe someone at school had feelings of "resentment." :D

Blackhawk
March 26, 2003, 12:35 AM
280PLUS,

:D :D

March 26, 2003, 12:52 AM
Our society is so screwed up.
How screwed up is it ?
Someone gave me one of those complaint department, take a number grenades as a gag gift. I could see in my minds eye my house being raided and they find an arsenal of guns, thousands of rounds of ammo, and a grenade. All of which would be promptly displayed on the evening news. I immediately tossed it out the car window on the way home.
Paranoid ?
I don't think so.

SquirrelNuts
March 26, 2003, 12:59 AM
I put my dummy grenade next to some firearms, vodka, and pipe tobacco, so I fill each niche from the ATF-alcohol, tobacco, firearms, and explosives. God bless the ATF.

-SquirrelNuts

firestar
March 26, 2003, 01:08 AM
Someone gave me one of those complaint department, take a number grenades as a gag gift. I could see in my minds eye my house being raided and they find an arsenal of guns, thousands of rounds of ammo, and a grenade. All of which would be promptly displayed on the evening news. I immediately tossed it out the car window on the way home.

You weren't driving by a school when you threw it out were you?:scrutiny:

I think we may have found our "Hoax Bomber"!:neener:

March 26, 2003, 01:23 AM
That isn't even funny, that would be considered a violation of the homeland security act or an act of domestic terrorism. Anything to feed the news media and justify their job.
Besides, that was 10 years ago.

Subby
March 26, 2003, 01:36 AM

So how does one use a chef's knife, and where does one get a callous from proper use thereof?

Drunkenly,
Sub

Cal4D4
March 26, 2003, 02:43 AM
Here in Kali we know how to deal with these "paperweights"

12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison:
...possesses ... any metal military practice handgrenade or metal replica handgrenade...:eek:

SquirrelNuts
March 26, 2003, 02:51 AM
Wow, I can purchase these all day long in the honorable state of Jo-Ja.

-SquirrelNuts

Peetmoss
March 26, 2003, 07:44 AM
If the sherriffs don't come back to get the grenade it will have a complaint dept. tag on it.

Ol' Badger
March 26, 2003, 08:59 AM
I got that beat. When I was at NOVA (No. VA College) one of my teachers was an Ex-Bomb Squad at DC Metro. He brought in maybe 2 dozen types of hand grenades (Inert) to show the class. He also had a LAW Rocket launcher. He opened it up and you could see the Rocket inside. He then did the scariest thing ever. He pointed it at the ground while talking and the Rocket fell out and hit the floor. This was his little joke. I had to go to the restroom and clean up afterward. I was in the front row and it hit at my feet!!! :D

bogie
March 26, 2003, 09:45 AM
My grenade story...

I'm back in college, living in a dorm, sittin' on my bed reading with the door open, and one of the ROTC guys down the hall decides that it'd be funny to chuck a practice grenade in my lap. It appears, I grab it, and unass it outta the room.

Through the window.

Without taking time to open it.

Everyone thought that was simply hilarious.

goon
March 26, 2003, 10:17 AM
Well, you guys are only seeing the worst that could happen.
If we were all to get dummy grenades (My grandfather brought mine back from WWII) it could work out well.
All we would have to do is allow that nosy neighbor to see that demilled grenade, then I am sure that the ATF would pay us all the expected raid. Of course, all the would find would be a LEGAL demilled grenade, and a bunch of legal guns.
Next thing you know, 85 4,000,000 lawsuits are filed against the ATF. Maybe we could make them cease to exist. It would take alot of money to pay us all off.
We could even have cameras in out house, so we could get footage of them breaking down the door and beating us around.
Wouldn't that look great on the news?

mec
March 26, 2003, 05:29 PM
Back in about '68, a guy named Kenyon Balew had one of these sitting on a shelf in his apartment. The ATF had recently taken on GCA 68 duties and one of the first things they did was to break into KBs' apartment and shoot the place up. Kenyon himself had run out of the shower and picked up an unloaded 1860 army replica. Atf shot him in the head disabling him.

jeff51
March 26, 2003, 10:21 PM
Back when I was in grade school (early 60"s) one of my friends brought over a grenade that his Dad brought home from WWII, all that was done to it was it was unscrewed and the powder was dumped out and the fuse either burned or pulled out! I had a fun afternoon playing with that grenade, cause when you pulled the pin and let go of the spoon you had to find (the spoon) and do it again!!! Also this same kid came over to the house with an MP-40 submachine gun!!! Not de-watted, all it needed was ammo!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Hand Grenade found at my work today" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!