Need gun safe

PDA

dasmi
August 29, 2005, 02:33 PM
I need an inexpensive gun safe, with enough room to hold two or three hand guns, and up to five long guns. Any ideas?

If you enjoyed reading about "Need gun safe" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hobbeeman
August 29, 2005, 02:43 PM
I went to an auction and purchased a double-door steel locker ($25), had the lock changed ($8) and put a good padlock ($12) and hasp ($15) on it. It is larger and the steel is thicker than the cheap ones at Academy ($80), plus, the locks are better quality than the cheap ones. Upon inspection of the cheaper safes, my arrangement compares well, althought I would like to have the nice felt lining, etc.

No_Brakes23
August 29, 2005, 02:47 PM
Turner's runs sales on their Sentrys every so often. I got a "14 gun" digital lock for about $400.

I am certain a 6-10 gun would be much cheaper.

But make sure you know the longest weapon you are putting in. A lot of the smaller, (14 gun and under) safes are only 59"-55" high and some are shorter. Using the top shelf for handguns, my 870 won't fit in a 55" safe with the 28"VR barrel. Some of my old C&Rs don't fit too well either. And if you plan on putting more longguns in later just keep in mind that "14-gun" really means 6-10 guns unless you want to spend a lot of time playing rifle Tetris.

Good luck.

shooten
August 29, 2005, 08:19 PM
Dasmi,

Check Liberty Safes on Miramar. Costco in Poway has a really nice one for about $700. The Sentry from Turner's is a good deal like No Brakes said. There's not a lot of room for anything other than rifles and maybe 1 or 2 handguns. Ammo? Forget it.

Scott

Preacherman
August 29, 2005, 08:53 PM
See here (http://www.samsclub.com/eclub/main_shopping.jsp?coe=0&oidPath=0%3a-23542%3a-44121%3a-44271%3a-44471&mt=a&n=0&BV_SessionID=_SC_1759843579.1125363138_CS_&BV_EngineID=ccdgaddfhlfggjdcfkfcfkjdgoodfkh.0) for a realistically-priced selection.

MechAg94
August 29, 2005, 09:06 PM
rifle Tetris

:D :D

Stevie-Ray
August 29, 2005, 09:08 PM
I think the Sam's Club Winchester containers are practically unbeatable.

a1abdj
August 29, 2005, 11:58 PM
Gun safes are a lot like firearms. You can get handguns that cost $2,000, or you can get yourself a Jennings or Bryco for $50. At the end of the day, you're getting what you pay for.

When you buy your gun from a gun store, you can rest easy knowing that the dealer has some knowledge about firearms, and can probably take good care of you if you have any questions or problems regarding that weapon.

Safes are a security product, and are an important addition to your inventory of life saving devices. As such, you shouldn't skimp on them, and you should consult with a professional prior to making that investment.

Everyday people go to insurance compainies for insurance, fast food restaurants for food, and the pharmacy for medicine. Just like I wouldn't buy a car from a gun store, I wouldn't buy something important to the security of myself or my valuables from somebody who literally has no clue, and isn't in the business.

With that said, I beat Sam's pricing on a daily basis, and actually know a little something about the safes I sell. :D

Moonclip
August 30, 2005, 05:06 AM
Buy a bigger safe than what you currently need, I guarantee you that you will end up filling it up. I'm on safe two now and I vow to myself there will not be a safe 3!

Kharn
August 30, 2005, 09:26 AM
Home Depot is apparently selling Sentry 14 gun safes at the moment, price around $360. You might have to ask one of the guys in Hardware if they have them in the back, some stores recieved 6+, mine only got one.

They're definitely better than a Homak locker, but wont set you back as badly as a real safe. I've got to call them today to see if they're getting another one as the one I was told about was damaged in transit.

ETA:
I picked up the damaged safe this evening, turns out somebody just scraped the front with a forklift, so there's a ~2x3" imperfection in the paint of the door. The door opens fine, just cosmetic damage at knee-level.

Its a Sentry 5241, price was $369 plus tax, but I was given a 10% discount due to the damage, so I was out the door for $350 after taxes. The manager said it was a one-time order, they dont foresee getting any more. Now its sitting in the back of my SUV until I can bribe a few friends with beer and pizza to help me (I'm not allowed to lift heavy objects due to a shoulder injury). There's even a POC in the manual to get touch-up paint, so we'll have to see how that goes. I just need to find a Goldenrod, some rope lights and a few of those velcro door holsters and I'm all set. :D

Kharn

If you enjoyed reading about "Need gun safe" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!