Iver Johnson Pony

PDA

zahc
March 25, 2003, 08:59 PM
Anyone have any comments on this, as a possible carry pistol? I just sort of have it around, and it is quite small.

It's a cheapish .380 blowback, have to carry condition 1 I guess.

If you enjoyed reading about "Iver Johnson Pony" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
telewinz
March 25, 2003, 09:37 PM
Had one about 15 years ago. Nice locked breech .380 that can be loaded-up with handloads. Won't bore you with history other than it came REAL close to being made for Colt. I'd like to get another (Garcia) but the one(s) I seen go for $300 which is a little too steep for me. IMHO its pointless to get the Pony (& the locked breech) if you have no intention to handload, you would be better off with a better quality blowback pistol. In short, its a good (not great) quality pistol with a "history".

zahc
March 25, 2003, 10:27 PM
yeah. But I don't have to get it, I got it for free (actually for work).

Mike Irwin
March 25, 2003, 10:40 PM
Most of the problems I've seen with these revolve around the spring base plate on the guide rod popping loose and tying the gun up.

Make sure that plate is staked FIRMLY into place.

citizen
March 26, 2003, 03:19 PM
Mike's got a good point; just blow through a cpuple o' mags for functionality.
Personally, when I acquired mine, it lacked a guide rod entirely.
Worked fine that way for many years. But I did tire of gymnastics
when re-assembling it. Finally, replaced base plate et al with a sset from Numrich. Although parts then were available individually, I purchased the guide rod with ATTACHED spring base plate; just a few dollars from them.
(Unfortunately, just dumped several years of esoteric paperwork from my files and cannot refer you to young lady who was VERY helpful there; prob'ly gone by now anyway.)
If the gun malfunctions, call them for assistance on parts; I'm confident they're still available.
BTW, it's a nice, dependable, concealabe ccw piece.

dev_null
March 26, 2003, 03:59 PM
Mine only had about 1 failure per mag when I got rid of it. That was after having to loctite the adjustable rear sight because I got tired of it falling off. Oh, couldn't keep a mag's worth of rounds (minus the hand-ejected stovepipe or the couldn't-get-up-the-ramp FTF) on a paper plate at 30', either. Looked neat, though, and was very carriable. Not something you'd want to have to depend on, obviously. :(

If you want a .380, the SIG P-232 is the way to fly.

-0-

Shawn Dodson
March 26, 2003, 10:54 PM
I carried one in 85-86 as a backup gun on police patrol. Nice little handgun. I later sold it to a warrant officer.

LWCmdr45
March 27, 2003, 02:44 PM
I had a pre-GCA '68 Star DK "Starfire," the forerunner of the Pony. Nice gun, but it was stolen. I'd buy another if I ever saw one at a decent price. The Pony's I've examined were not as well made as the Stars. I know a guy who owned a Pony. When he slapped his hands together sharply in a two-hand hold, the magazine floorplate fell off, dumping the cartridges at his feet!

Steve

zahc
March 27, 2003, 06:18 PM
That would be soo funny! (at the range):eek:

zahc
March 29, 2003, 01:06 PM
Wow I just read the owner's manual and it said to never carry with a round chambered. So is this pistol unsuitable for cond. 1 or what? That's wierd.

citizen
March 29, 2003, 02:12 PM
:what: Where'd you find an owner's manual???!!:what:

dev_null
March 29, 2003, 03:01 PM
Definitely NOT suited for Cond. 1. Only the one safety on it.

-0-

zahc
March 29, 2003, 03:29 PM
It is in a little purplish box with a felt 'Iver Johnson' printed pad and a quaint foldy owner's manual. Makes me wonder if it isn't worth something.

And don't 1911's just have the one safety? *thinks* My USP just has one safety, I know ppl carry them c&l...

The thought of C&L carry always gave me funny twitches. But the lack of a hammer block and DA led me to think that that would be the only way to carry it. Except cond three but that sucks.

Upon futher inspection, the felt pad is actually a cloth carry pouch thing.

Mike Irwin
March 29, 2003, 04:33 PM
Zah,

No, the 1911 has both the thumb safety and the grip safety.

I don't believe the Pony has the grip safety, does it?

zahc
March 29, 2003, 05:03 PM
Nope, guess not.

dev_null
March 29, 2003, 05:28 PM
No grip safety, no firing pin block, and no rebounding hammer.

Feel lucky? Load it up (keeping the muzzle downrange, of course), cock it and put the safety on, pull and release the trigger, then release the safety. MOST of the time it won't fire. Fancy the odds?

Try this one, too, if you're feeling bold... Load it up (keeping the muzzle downrange, of course), cock it, gently lower the hammer onto the round. Now take a tackhammer and whack the back of the gun's hammer. You DID keep the muzzle downrange, I hope!

Let me put it this way... I'd feel safer wearing a Rolex and flashing a roll of Benjamins around Anacostia than carrying that gun C&L! ;)

zahc
March 29, 2003, 05:58 PM
"firing pin block, and no rebounding hammer"

Do 1911's have a rebounding hammer? What's a rebounding hammer? I totally accept now that it is unsafe for C&L, as well as hammer down on a live one (which I knew would be bad news from the start) Now I'm wondering if carrying on half-cock with the safety engaged would facilitate chambered carry. I don't like the idea of needing 2 hands and carrying 1 less round.

I'm sorry if I am obnoxious. :o I'm not likely to carry it anyway but I am new to handguns and interested in the ways to carry them safely.

dev_null
March 29, 2003, 09:12 PM
You're not being obnoxious (that's MY job, dammit! ;) ).

You're right, 1911s don't have a rebounding hammer, but they do have a firing pin block (well, some do), grip safety, and so on. I only mention the firing pin safety because some other semiautos do have them, e.g. SIG. (It's an extra safety mechanism that keeps the hammer from resting on the firing pin.)

I did, in fact carry mine for a while, but at the time it was the only gun I had. I carried it loaded, round in the chamber, hammer on the halfcock and safety on. Fortunately, I never had to use it for anything worse than putting the fear into pieces of paper at the range.

All my ranting aside (and just because mine had problems doesn't they all do, of course), I would not recommend it as a carry piece for the reasons we've been discussing... and because a .380 is pretty marginal for PD. Yes, I know that's a tad hypocritical because I do sometimes carry my SIG when I don't feel like lugging my fullsize Kimber just to go to the store or whatever. But seriously, I would suggest carrying something in a larger caliber and with better features, reliability, and accuracy.

That's just my 93 cents... All standard disclaimers apply: YMMV, IMO, some assembly required, and batteries not included. :cool:

-0-

If you enjoyed reading about "Iver Johnson Pony" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!