Left handed? - Right handed?

PDA

P95Carry
March 25, 2003, 09:13 PM
I was well pleased with the sample we got in the ''what are your ages'' thread, not so long ago. Pretty good distribution if truth known...... and thx to all who added their bit.

Occurred to me (and apolagies if this has been done before) ..... to wonder if amongst this noble group of enthusiasts, there is a similar parity with ''life in general'' with regard to handedness??

Add your vote if you would and ... as important ... you ''left handers'', do relate your grievances etc re problems you have faced .... and solutions found etc. I shoot weak hand for practice, both with rifle and pistol but, sure find it damned awkward with some pieces.

I am a standard issue right hander ...... :) (oops, innuendo creepin there!!:p )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited to correct inexcusably sloppy typing!:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Left handed? - Right handed?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tamara
March 25, 2003, 09:23 PM
I'm a natural leftie, but I shoot right-handed.

(It's easier to conform, even when it means you're cross-eye dominant, than it is to go looking for southpaw-friendly guns. :uhoh: )

Greg L
March 25, 2003, 09:24 PM
LH

Usually not a problem as either the safety for my pistols is over on the right where I need it (USP v.2) or I don't bother owning them (1911). That's not to say I won't own them if the right deal comes along, I just don't go looking for them.

With rifles I've actually found that I'm faster with using a bolt shooting left handed. I can keep my hand on the trigger while running the bolt with my right (assuming a good rest to shoot off of).

I really don't notice it too much as I've had to make adjustments for most things my whole life.

Greg

spin180
March 25, 2003, 09:57 PM
I was born left-dominant. I have written, eaten, etc. with my left all my life, but for many years did all my shooting with my right hand.

A few years ago, as I got more and more into shooting, I noticed I was having increasing difficulty with my left eye being dominant and shooting right handed.

I then started practicing with my left and found that it came quite natural. Now I can shoot equally well with my left or right, though I can sight more easily shooting left, whereas I have to concentrate more when shooting right. I now carry and primarily shoot left handed

Funny thing though, this only applies to handguns. Using a rifle or shotgun I'm strictly right handed. I've tried shooting long-arms lefty, but I just don't like it.

Queer, huh?

Navy joe
March 25, 2003, 10:01 PM
Lefty, but moving towards being very ambi. Found out that I am going to be a right handed welder, couldn't make left handed work. Doing that everyday helps my right side motor skills. Bigger issue for me is eye dominance, left eye is very much so, so to right hand a rifle I have to close my left eye. Otherwise it looks like the lenscover is on the scope. guns, no big deal. 1911, Glocks, Kahrs, Ar-15, Sigs, Rem 870, M-1A, M-1, all built by and for a lefty as far as I can see. Scoped bolt guns are the only thing I desire to be wrong sided. Stuff like a Nagant I am scary fast with coming over the top, I don't have the straight bolt leverage problems that righties do. It is harder for me to assume stances as a righty. I have to naturally take up the stance left handed and then deconstruct what I am doing then reverse it. Except for pistol, then it is no big deal. No funky Weaver/Chapman stuff, just stick the gun out there and shoot it.

BenW
March 25, 2003, 10:21 PM
Lefty. Luckily my favorite pistol, the 1911, was inadvertently designed for lefties. :)

I'm always able to get by with my right-handed bolt guns as I never shoot them for speed, my lever gun works just fine left-handed, and so does my M1A. My shotgun is a double barrel so no problems there either. The only left handed rifle I actually own is my Great Plains percussion, and when I get around to acquiring a flintlock, that'll be left-handed as well, just because I prefer to keep exploding black powder as far away from my face as possible. :)

pax
March 25, 2003, 10:54 PM
If I'm sitting down, I'm left-handed. Mostly, anyway. I write left handed, but use right handed scissors.

Tasks done standing up are mostly done right handed, with exceptions just to keep it interesting (I bat left, play tennis right, shoot right, swat flies right).

Some days I am left eye dominant, some days right eye dominant. If I shoot with both eyes open, I can see neither my sights nor the target -- or rather, I can see two copies of each.

Guess you could mark me down as ambidextrous, but it's more like ambiclumsy. :D

Oh, shooting? I work on shooting one handed with either hand, and, when I use two hands, I shoot right handed. Switching hands makes no difference since I never know which eye is going to be working that day.

pax

On the other hand, you have different fingers. -- Steven Wright

P95Carry
March 25, 2003, 11:00 PM
I never know which eye is going to be working that day. Pax .... I think I'll continue to just cope with my hypermetropia and be thankful....... at least the right eye is consistently less bad than left!!:D

Schuey2002
March 25, 2003, 11:02 PM
Southpaw here that is right eye dominant. Though, I can shoot just as well with my right hand (using either handguns or rifles) as I can with my left.

:)

10-Ring
March 25, 2003, 11:03 PM
Lefty w/ long guns, righty w/ handguns. Last summer tho, I did a lot of weak hand shooting so I can now shoot comfortably lefty now too...

3 gun
March 25, 2003, 11:26 PM
Born right handed but I've learned to miss just as well left handed.

sm
March 25, 2003, 11:40 PM
Right-handed, right eye domiant.

On 1911's--I don't like, want or use ambi's...MOA is fine for me left handed, taught that way...

Same for Revos when using left (weak-handed).

I can and do shoot with either hand, two or one handed grip...focusing more on one-hand when weak- handed shooting.

ahadams
March 25, 2003, 11:56 PM
LH However I grew up in a household where everyone else was RH so I got to figure out how to shoot left handed with righthanded guns. Also got to do same in the Army, which with M16A1 could be fun if I couldn't find one of those little snap on brass deflectors! Anyway by this time I'm as comfortable with RH safeties as I am with LH...still no good with a bolt gun though...at least not without taking it off my shoulder, etc, etc,

Lennyjoe
March 26, 2003, 04:14 AM
I write, throw and even itch right handed but I shoot primarily left handed.

Left eye dominant.

Couldnt aim at a B-52 flying over at 50 ft with a shotgun with my right eye. Its that weak.

I tought myself to shoot guns and bows left handed. Wasnt really that hard at all.

I can shoot handguns right handed just have to use my left eye to aim. Bummer huh.

New_comer
March 26, 2003, 04:50 AM
Righty here

Always been, & hope always will be... ;)

Schuey2002
March 26, 2003, 04:54 AM
Always been, & hope always will be...
As they say, "Left handed, but of the right mind." :p

Bily Lovec
March 26, 2003, 08:01 AM
naturally left handed, but right eye dominate, the true sign of being ambi, is the inability to write with either hand :neener:

280PLUS
March 26, 2003, 08:12 AM
right handed, right eyed, i occasionally practice lefty so i'm fairly comfortable with it but not as accurate

don't recall ever trying to shoot rifles lefty.

m

p35
March 26, 2003, 09:21 AM
Extremely left handed. Biggest problem I have is with my BHP- i keep intending to put an ambi safety on it but haven't done it yet.

I think it becomes second nature to a lefty to deal with a right handed world, to the point that a lot of us don't even notice many of the adjustments.

12-34hom
March 26, 2003, 10:31 AM
Both.

12-34hom

BenW
March 26, 2003, 11:34 AM
I think it becomes second nature to a lefty to deal with a right handed world, to the point that a lot of us don't even notice many of the adjustments.
Hey thanks a lot man. Here I was getting ready to sue for government entitlements because of my disability, and you start throwing logic into the picture! Now I have to get along by making things work for me instead of complaining that I'm being discriminated against. Way to mess up my early retirement. :D
:neener:

Blackhawk
March 26, 2003, 11:43 AM
R

P95Carry
March 26, 2003, 12:23 PM
Thx for posts so far and ..... Amazing!! - the ratio is thus far all but 2:1 right to left .... when I would have expected something nearer to 3:1 perhaps .... and 5 ambi's ......

Keep the votes comin if you can .. bigger the sample the better the result. Thx guys.

cratz2
March 26, 2003, 03:16 PM
I'm definately right-handed but am probably more ambi than many are. I've played guitar forever as well as many other instruments which leads to lots of left hand control.

I've always shot handguns right-handed but practice left handed a bit just in case. When I first started shooting rifle, I was a bit better shooting left handed. My grandmother's brother got me started (twice actually, almost ruined it the first time) and suggested I try each way. I'm definately right eye dominate so I forced myself to get better shooting from the right.

the true sign of being ambi, is the inability to write with either hand Hey... I have that too! :p

Nightcrawler
March 26, 2003, 04:00 PM
Lefties do it right, baby. :cool:

voilsb
March 26, 2003, 04:25 PM
I'm a righty, but I need to teach myself to be more useful with my left hand. at some point, I'm going to teach myself to right left handed, and I already practice shooting lefty

DeltaElite
March 26, 2003, 05:03 PM
I'm Bi, errrrrrrrr ambidextrous. :D

I carry my primary on the right and a back up on the left.
I may have to move my primary to my left if my elbow doesn't heal up soon. :(

BogBabe
March 26, 2003, 07:05 PM
Lefty for writing, eating, and most other things.

Lefty for shooting handguns, righty for shooting rifles and bows.

I can shoot hundguns pretty good with my right hand, but I can't shoot a rifle left-handed to save my life.

stevelyn
March 27, 2003, 08:43 AM
Left-handed here but have adapted very well to a right-handed world. I shoot everything LH except archery.
Being LH has left me SIG challenged so I don't bother with them although I do like the quality and accuracy of SIG pistols.
Biggest complaint has been holster selection or lack of it. Finding that out that a major maker makes a holster model in LH, but the pet gundealer won't have it in stock.
Another irritant has been a lack of selection of LH bolt rifles. Although rumor has it that the Mark-X action is going to become available again soon. IIRC, they offered LH in everything.

Mildot_Sniper
March 27, 2003, 01:26 PM
I am true ambidextrous. I can do virtually everything equally left or right handed (watch the dirty jokes, they are not funny). Write, shoot pool, pitch softball (talk about throwing a batter a curve!), and use a hammer…whatever the case may be.

I shoot handguns left or right handed, I shoot rifles left or right handed, and I can shoot either a left or right handed bow.

I am left eye dominate, so I usually shoot a left handed bow, it’s just more comfortable.

Now to show you how really weird it gets, I prefer to shoot my rifles left handed, but refuse to buy left handed rifles.

Now you ask how accurate, I never said I could hit anything...just kidding...

:neener:

P95Carry
March 27, 2003, 05:11 PM
Mildot ... that's a great attribute you have ..... about ''best of both worlds'' I'd say!!!

Our sample is still on the small side but ..... the spread right now is R = 60%, L = 30%, Ambi = 10% ... these are rounded figures from a sample of about 117.

Particularly interesting when compared to the supposed ''norm'' see this from a web site ..... Around ten percent of Americans are left-handed, and of those, there are twice as many lefty males as females. Cats and parrots have general tendencies toward their left paws and claw; rats and monkeys tend to be right-pawed. A study of ultrasound pictures of 270 fetuses (from 1 month to 9 months) revealed that 92% sucked their right thumb while in the womb. . So - wonder how it is we have so many lefties? Cannot rationalize that yet. Does seem tho that in most cases they have found ways to cope pretty well.

556A2
March 27, 2003, 05:37 PM
Purely right handed

Stevie-Ray
March 27, 2003, 05:59 PM
Right-winged.:D Unfortunately left-eye dominant. I close right eye to shoot.

JeepDriver
March 27, 2003, 06:04 PM
Another Lefty.

I can shoot right handed in a pinch, matter of fact thats how I had to shoot a deer this year, but it just don't feel right.

pax
March 27, 2003, 06:14 PM
Our sample is still on the small side but ..... the spread right now is R = 60%, L = 30%, Ambi = 10% ... these are rounded figures from a sample of about 117.
P95Carry,

Keep in mind that your sample is self-selecting. Folks who are interested in handedness are more likely to be lefty or ambi than otherwise.

If the numbers do show a genuine anomaly, I would theorize that lefties (and to a lesser extent, ambis) tend to be a little more stubbornly independent-minded than their right handed counterparts. This is a necessary adaptation in a world where most everything handed is made for righties.

What's that got to do with shooting? Well, it is not surprising that folks who are used to thinking for themselves would be drawn to guns, in a world where shooting is increasingly a sport that belongs only to stubbornly independent-minded people (since the sheep followed the herd and turned in their guns long ago).

pax

Hey, gimme five minutes and a running start, and I can explain anything. It won't be accurate, but at least it'll be explained. -- pax's big brother, age 16

blades67
March 27, 2003, 07:13 PM
Handguns are the easy part, it's finding good holsters that is the biggest PITA!:banghead:

P95Carry
March 27, 2003, 11:12 PM
Pax ....... very valid points you make. Thx.

Yep, on reflection I guess our sample here will by default be a tad ''loaded'' ...... interesting to see nonetheless. I appreciate all posts ... any more are most welcome.

1goodshot
March 28, 2003, 08:49 AM
I shoot handguns right handed and rifles left handed,I quess I'm just different.

Andrew Wyatt
March 28, 2003, 11:51 AM
no you're not. I shoot long guns left handed and pistols right handed, too. :)

Dave Markowitz
March 28, 2003, 09:30 PM
Southpaw here. Left handed and left eye dominant. I can shoot RH, but badly, since I haven't practiced enough to make it feel right.

My favored handguns are Smith & Wesson revolvers, which are probably better suit for southpaws than righties, anyway. I also have a BHP with an ambi safety. Most of my rifles are milsurp boltguns, so I work the bolt from the wrong side. I can work a Lee-Enfield pretty quickly, though.

I also shoot a bow lefty.

As with most lefties, I've managed to adapt to a RH world. E.g., I use RH scissors.

If you enjoyed reading about "Left handed? - Right handed?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!