What's your "quick clean" routine?

PDA

Dave R
March 25, 2003, 09:51 PM
I know some folks do a full-on cleaning every time they fire their rifle. I'm not one of those people. I have 2 cleaning regimens a) the quick clean, if I've only fired a few rounds, or if I know I'm shooting again soon, and b) the full-on routine, if I'm storing for the season, or if there have been more than a few rounds through it.

Here's my quick-clean routine, for bolt-guns.

0) Assure its unloaded.
1) Remove bolt.
2) Spray G-96 on the bore snake.
3) 3 pulls of the snake through the bore.
4) Spray a little G-96 on a patch/cloth and wipe down the bolt and chamber.
5) Replace bolt. Done.

For semi-autos:

0) Assure its unloaded.
1) Open bolt and lock it back.
2) Spray G-96 on the bore snake.
3) 3 pulls of the snake through the bore.
4) Spray a little G-96 on a patch/cloth and wipe down the chamber.
5) Release bolt. Done.

What's your quick-clean routine?

If you enjoyed reading about "What's your "quick clean" routine?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
W.Va.Glassman
March 25, 2003, 10:58 PM
Spray bore with brake cleaner after shooting,when I get home run a patch with Kroil on it thru bore,let set muzzle down a couple of hours or overnite,run dry patch thru put back in safe.Works for me.

Soap
March 25, 2003, 11:24 PM
-Boresnake w/ solvent
-Scrub dirty areas with toofbrush w/ solvent
-Wipe everything dry
-Use patches to apply a little CLP
-Lenspen

beckrodgers
March 26, 2003, 12:35 AM
wd40 spray and wipe,Gunscrubber spray, Rem oil spray and wipe, till .we can get somewhere and do a good clean. Thats our fast quick fix.

BusMaster007
March 26, 2003, 02:10 AM
Shoot guns.
Go home.
Wait 3 months.
Clean before shooting again.
Repeat! :p

echo3mike
March 26, 2003, 09:50 AM
I did this when I was REALLY low on cleaner (like, drops left in the bottle). Worked so well, it's now my standard routine;

- weapon safe, remove bolt;
- 2 MPro7 saturated patches through the bore;
- few strokes with a bore brush;
- let sit while I drink beer and channel surf;
- 2 more MPro7 saturated patches, then dry patches to check for fouling;
- If there's no powder fouling, I'll shove a couple of Sweet's soaked patches through the bore;
- More beer and channel surfing;
- Might have to repeat if there's significant copper fouling, but not usually, (the Sweet's, not the beer);
- Isopropyl Alcohol wash to remove any solvent residue.

I get to the chamber, magazine, rails, and bolt at some point during the process, but that's only a couple of minutes worth of toothbrush work. Lube her up and put back together.

The wohle process takes more effort to type out than to do. I usually end up using 6 or 7 patches total.

S.

If you enjoyed reading about "What's your "quick clean" routine?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!