Anyone own an Autauga 32??

PDA

arinvolvo
March 26, 2003, 01:20 AM
They are at cdnn investments for 199....I have had my eye on one for quite a while....although I have never shot one, nor have I heard anything good or bad about them....they LOOK nice...but I know that looks can be decieving...

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with them before I purchased one sight-unseen.

BTW, I know that a few of you are going to recommend a KelTec or an NAA....and I am aware that the Keltec is the same price, and that the NAA is proven reliable...but I really just want to know about this particular 32.:)

Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone own an Autauga 32??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jeff OTMG
March 26, 2003, 01:33 AM
I have one. Liked it so much that I bought my son one for his birthday. When I bought them they were still in production and closer to $300, this when Seecamps were still $600+ rather than $429.

Blackhawk
March 26, 2003, 01:36 AM
I believe Alamo has one. You might PM him.

Hotel Charlie
March 26, 2003, 09:25 AM
I have an Autauga 32, it is a great gun for $199, I paid $249. It packs quite a punch for it's size and is built like a tank, yet simple in design. It is not fun to shoot 100 rounds in short period of time, but then again it's not a range gun. $199 is a great price for a quality gun.

HC

alamo
March 26, 2003, 09:42 AM
I have 2 of them. They are great little pistols, I have one in my back pocket right now. The finish is very durable, I've carried mine the Texas heat for several years now without any problem. The trigger is several pounds lighter than the Guardian. I have not had a failure of any kind with mine. They originally came with 2 magazines but I understand CDNN is selling them with just one and then selling the extra one separately. They also come with a trigger lock and an A-Zoom snap cap. Here is something I posted on them awhile back, let me know if you have any other questions:

Autauga Arms is no longer in business and hasn't been for several years now. 3,200 of these pistols were made. The remaining inventory of them was sold to CDNN a few of years ago. They were last selling them for $199 a few months ago, don't know if they still have them. Dealers bought some and I've seen them at gunshows.
It is a great little pistol. It is a couple of ounces lighter than the Guardian and has a lighter trigger pull too. It is for hollowpoint only, Autauga recommended Gold Dots (mostly for ballistics/effectiveness) which is what I use. Mine has worked fine with Silvertips and Federal Hydrashok.

Now for the bad part. Parts and service are out of the question. One of the former owners of Autauga Arms, Rusty Rossey, has all the spare parts. He ran Autauga Rifle until very recently. He used to repair them in his spare time even though the warranty was void since the company was out of business. It often took 6+ months to get pistols back. I was in e-mail contact with him until last Sept., he was going to talk to a firearms mfg. about working with them and said he'd be back in early Oct. In early October, his e-mail stopped working, phone was disconnected and his Autauga Rifle website went down in January. Have no idea where he is.

So, if you get one, don't count on parts and service. Some parts like springs for the Seecamp or Guardian may work in the Autauga. The only known problem with them was that a few had slipping trigger bars which Rusty fixed when he had time. If you're still interested in one, get a .32 snap cap and test it out before buying. The problem apparently did not afflict very many of them.

If you do get it and need a pocket holster, R.J. Hedley makes very nice ones that are custom fitted for it. He doesn't advertise them but he does make them. Check out the Seecamp or Guardian holsters to see what they look like:

http://www.hedleyholsters.com

Kentucky Rifle
March 26, 2003, 10:49 AM
I can't report the success of the other owners. First off, CDNN steals the extra magazine for later sale. You always need an extra mag, right? Well CDNN sells it back to you and charges $9.95 for "S&H". Mine did fire and chamber just fine. However, one day before a cleaning, I ejected the round that was in the chamber. There was a small "ding" in the primer. Thinking that this small ding had been there before, I inspected a fresh cartrdge for "dings", put it in the mag, pointed the Autauga in a safe direction, pulled back the slide and chambered the round. I ejected the fresh round and, sure enough, there was a nice shiny little dimple in the primer. I tried it with three cartridges of the same OAL. Ding in every one. I think what is happening is that the firing pin spring is weak enough to let the pin come forward and slightly strike the primer when a new round goes into the firing chamber. Thus, I was afraid of having an "UD". I called CDNN and told them and asked for another firing pin spring. They replied, "No problem". That was months and months ago. I had my gun shop owner call and request a new spring~again the answer was "No problem". That was TWO months ago and still~~NO SPRING. I'm giving my little Autauga to another member on this board who I KNOW won't shoot his toe off. He's looking into how I can ship the little pistol from Kentucky to Florida legally.
I don't mind over night shipping. In fact I'd RATHER ship via "overnight". Less chance for someone to steal it that way. My advice--Buy a Guardian, Seecamp, P-32, or Jetfire.
In all the years I've been buying firearms, this is only the second "lemon" I've purchased. Not a bad record, I guess.

KR

greg531mi
March 27, 2003, 09:03 PM
I also own a Autuaga. CDNN did me right when I lost the triger spring, they replaced right away. Free!! They said they will guarantee the pistol for a year. I did hear from my FFL dealer, that a P.O. had a crack in the frame by the feed ramp after 500 rounds, where there is a Vee cut. I went and made it into a U cut with a little die paper. I also heard that the trigger plate can come loose, but mine is ok. Extra mags are $9.95, have you ever priced Seecamp mags? $40!! CDNN does ship guns separately, they have a flat rate of $9.95 for accessories, so I bought some other stuff they had on special. At $400, you can buy 2 Autauga's, one Guardian, or around here, 2/3 of a Seecamp... Some guns are lemons, it is the risk you take, you can always send it back to them in a year, if you get one....

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone own an Autauga 32??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!