The Four Rules?

PDA

synoptic
March 26, 2003, 10:55 AM
I have been putting off asking this until I could search THR and TFL, but there are sooo many hits, and my time is so very valuable (ya right) that I haven't found the answer yet. So, what are the Four Rules? I know they have to do with safety, and I am guessing they are prolly common sense, but since I haven't had any formal firearms training, or even informal for that matter, I figure they are something I ought to learn.

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "The Four Rules?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Shoeless
March 26, 2003, 11:15 AM
Do you mean these rules??

1. A gun is always loaded. Check, double check, triple check.

2. Keep your muzzle pointed in a safe direction at all times.

3. Keep your finger OUTSIDE the trigger guard until you have acquired your target and are ready to shoot.

4. Be certain of your target and what is behind it before shooting.

Shoeless

MitchSchaft
March 26, 2003, 11:17 AM
http://www.thefiringline.com/Misc/safetyrules.html

RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET

twoblink
March 26, 2003, 11:24 AM
THR really should have them posted right below "Rules of Conduct".

El Tejon
March 26, 2003, 11:34 AM
They are LIFE.

BTW, Shoeless, welcome to THR! Are you the same "Shoeless" from GT?

Leatherneck
March 26, 2003, 03:24 PM
THR really should have them posted right below "Rules of Conduct". Great idea twoblink. Mods, can you do that? I'm thinking the top of each forum, or maybe just at the front door.

TC
TFL Survivor

M1911
March 26, 2003, 03:31 PM
synoptic: I strongly suggest that you get yourself some formal firearms training. I'm sure you can find an NRA Basic Pistol class nearby for small dollars.

DWS1117
March 26, 2003, 03:52 PM
The four rules (http://www.donath.org/Rants/TheFourRules/)

Ironbarr
March 26, 2003, 03:56 PM
If you go to the link in my sig it will take you to the rules AND a bit of discussion about them.

-Andy

synoptic
March 26, 2003, 04:49 PM
Thanks y'all, as i suspected they are more or less common sense (for those of us who have common sense). As far as formal training goes, I am going to wait until I get my pistol to get any training, then I'll go ahead and take a class or two.

Shoeless
March 26, 2003, 04:55 PM
BTW, Shoeless, welcome to THR! Are you the same "Shoeless" from GT?

Yes, I am and thank you for the warm welcome! GeorgeATL has been telling me for a while to come check you guys out. I finally did. :)

Shoeless :D

GlocksRock
March 26, 2003, 05:06 PM
Yay, another GlockTalker. Welcome Shoeless, you will like it around here.

dhoomonyou
March 26, 2003, 05:17 PM
im here from glocktalk also.
thanks

keyhole
March 26, 2003, 05:19 PM
Gotta luv that tactical tupperware!

M1911
March 26, 2003, 07:05 PM
As far as formal training goes, I am going to wait until I get my pistol to get any training, then I'll go ahead and take a class or two.synoptic: There's no reason to wait. None. You won't be using your pistol in an NRA Basic Pistol class -- the instructor will supply the pistols.

JackShandy
March 26, 2003, 07:17 PM
After that 3 year old shot his grandfather, maybe a fifth rule should be added...

5) NEVER leave a loaded gun unattended.

Like the first four, it's common sense, but some people still need reminding.

If you enjoyed reading about "The Four Rules?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!