Build your own AK 47

PDA

The Jackal
September 6, 2005, 12:17 AM
I have seen AK parts kits online for about $100 and receivers for the same price. As long as I do not sell the AK there are no issues with buying the two separate and putting together my own AK for about $200 is there?

If you enjoyed reading about "Build your own AK 47" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hillbilly
September 6, 2005, 12:22 AM
There are all sorts of places to get info on builidng guns from parts kits.

For example, I have built an FAL and two AR-15s from kits.

The "catch" with an AK is section 922r, I believe.

Basically, you cannot building an foreign made "assault weapon" that has 10 or more parts that are foreign made.

So, you wind up paying more for the "replacement parts" that you have to put into your build.

It is completely idiotic and stupid and worthless....in other words, government at its finest.

I have a whole bag of Austrian made STG-58 parts in a bag that I had to replace with US made parts that look exactly the same, only with "US" or some such crap stamped on them.

But it's not a cheap as it looks because of the idiotic law that makes you use a certain number of US made parts.

hillbilly

The Jackal
September 6, 2005, 12:29 AM
Gotta love those feds. It is OK with them as long as they get their cut somehow. So I am guessing that these parts kits would not be American made. Sounds stupid to even sell them then. I mean, if you had an AK that was legit with the right amount of American parts and enough needed replacing, you could not replace them with the foreign parts. How dumb!

Anyone seen these?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=36938928

Fold by hand receivers? Sounds risky to me.

hillbilly
September 6, 2005, 12:51 AM
It's been a while since I thought about building an AK.

There are just too many complete AK clones out there for cheap.

Even if you built one for $200, you'd save what, $50 to $100, depending on if you found a used, beat-up clone?

I've seen Romanian AK clones for like $260 dealer price.

But here's the link to Tapco.

They've got an entire department called "US Compliance Parts"

http://www.tapco.com/product_list.asp?dept=15&last=39

You can bet that if it's a US made "Compliance Part" that it will cost you about $40 for a part that's usually about $5.

hillbilly

clange
September 6, 2005, 02:42 AM
Fold by hand flats need to be welded. Normal flats need something stronger to bend them. Both would need rails attached somehow, and to be heat treated.

Then you need something to do rivets with, or do a screw build. Its not as easy as stuff like ARs.

The Jackal
September 6, 2005, 10:21 PM
Are the AR 15 kits worth while? They looked to be as much or more than buying one already assembled.

GunGoBoom
September 6, 2005, 10:35 PM
Step 1. Buy hammer and metal stamp: "Made in USA"
Step 2. Stamp your parts.

:D JK.

The Jackal
September 6, 2005, 10:57 PM
LOL! If only it were that easy! I will most likely buy the Ak new, I just thought it might be worth it build one. Looks like it won't.

I was a t gun show a few weeks back and there was a 'Build your own AR 15 for less' stand. Yah right! I would love to own an AR but the price is a to high for me.

September 7, 2005, 02:23 AM
I am getting ready to build one right now: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=22&t=206809

I have previously built a FAL, HK91, AR15s.
I am not really interested in saving money. I am interested in ending up with the best rifle I possibly can with money not even entering into the equation. I try to buy the best parts made. The quality will be appreciated long after the price is forgotten. Potentially, you might someday use one of these firearms to defend your life, your families lives, your freedom, or even your country: I don't know about you but I want to know that my rifle was made with the best parts rather than the cheapest parts.

Commissar Gribb
September 7, 2005, 02:38 AM
in the eyes of some agencies, you're all criminals anyhow because you have evil black guns/regardless of how fast they shoot or how much of it was made overseas. If they want, they'll nail you anyways. It's just how it is.

clange
September 7, 2005, 03:42 AM
The quality will be appreciated long after the price is forgotten. Potentially, you might someday use one of these firearms to defend your life, your families lives, your freedom, or even your country: I don't know about you but I want to know that my rifle was made with the best parts rather than the cheapest parts.
While I understand the "if you want it done right" thing,

1) All those factory rifles with the cheap parts are where the AKs reputation comes from
2) If i'm going to get a kit build I'd rather have a builder thats done hundreds put mine together, and I can still pick every part I want to have on it

I'd put my kit built 74 up against any abomination I'd turn out any day.

But I'd like to build one, really (I have 4 rommy kits). I just dont know what I'm doing and I dont have any tools.

September 7, 2005, 10:20 AM
Right, most people are just looking for a fun project.
I don't know how to build one either: right now. But, there is plenty of information out there. Just search around the net and I am sure you will come up with all kinds of information. One place you might want to look is The American Gunsmithing Institute. I bought a video tape from them on the HK G3/91 and the FN FAL and it showed you step by step how to assemble the kit. It went into the legalitities as well as some of the options you might want to consider. Keep in mind that there are different levels of these builds. For example, in our group AK build on AR15.com we are going to go with 100% receivers. We arn't going to be bending anything etc. The receiver is finished. Of course we are going to have to purchase that finished receiver from a dealer. If you want to get much deeper into the project, you can build the receiver: this would not require anything to go through a dealer. It just depends on how much work you want to do. There is a website somewhere on the net where a guy builds guns from the ground up. He works (or owns ?) a machine shop with state of the art equipment. He decided that he wanted to build an AR15 and started with a block of alluminum. He had to reverse engineer the project from a finished receiver, do all the drawings, program the machines, figure out the order he was going to do the machining: everything.

I am not trying to be holier than thou with this quality thing. It is just a pet peave of mine that started shortly after I started reading on-line gun forums. You see thread after thread about how can I buy the cheapest possible whatever. You almost never see a thread: How can I build the BEST possible AR15 (or whatever). Always the cheapest.
I don't think that way. I would rather work some overtime, save a little longer, whatever it takes to get something I will enjoy and something I can depend on. YMMV
Not sure if I am reading you correctly, but I don't nessessarily think the factories use cheap parts. But a lot of home builders do.
If you just want the gun, buy it. If you want to fart around with a project, maybe learn something and all that: build one.

PAC 762
September 7, 2005, 10:20 PM
An AK is a lot more difficult than an AR or FAL. Don't waste your time on tooling and countless hours of learning if you only want one or 2.

MudPuppy
September 7, 2005, 10:34 PM
You could always do a screw build.

There's sites that specialize in this type of discussion. Keep in mind that cheap AKs are available, good luck on finding a cheap Yugo or Hungarian. RPK kits were available a few months back for $400. Should have gotten one. :banghead:

I like my WASR--I love my AMD-63.

Who knows, maybe you'll get nuts and make a 45 cal AK?

The Jackal
September 8, 2005, 12:55 AM
If I did build th AK it is just for fun. Like my idea to build a .22 LR pistol from a 10/22. Just something fun. My Marlin 336 is my dream rifle. I am refinishing the stock, putting a better trigger on it and basically sparring no expense to turn it into the best 30-30 possible. The AK would not be this for me.

MudPuppy
September 8, 2005, 07:30 PM
Well, it's a considerable investment to build an AK with rivets. You need a 12-20 ton press, a way to get the barrel out, a way to get the barrel back in, jigs or special tools for the rivets. Not hardly worth it for a single AK.

Screw build isn't authentic (but I guarantee you Mikie would have build them that way if it was cheaper!). I hear a lot of concern about the strength/safety/reliability of the screw build, but I've never heard of a failure. I trust mine as much as any rivet build. Only advantage in my opion of the rivet build is resale value is a fair bit higher.

BTW, if you make a pistol from a 10/22, aren't you SBR'ing it? That is, if its a rifle and you cut it down it becomes a sawed off rifle/felony?

SamlautRanger
September 8, 2005, 07:50 PM
Jackal,

Interested more in your 30-30 project. How about starting a new thread giving us all the details and photos?

Kharn
September 8, 2005, 09:32 PM
MudPuppy:
Actually you dont need very sophistocated equipment to remove or return the barrel to the trunnion. The guys on http://www.gunco.net figured out you can use a power steering arm puller (basically a claw with a giant screw in the middle, costs $25ish at any auto parts store) to push the barrel out of the barrel, and then a piece of all-thread rod and a few nuts & washers to pull the barrel back into the trunion when you're done riveting.

They also figured out that a $18 pair of bolt cutters from Harbor Freight can be ground into a riveting tool for the front trunion rivets, the hardest part of the build.

Kharn

The Jackal
September 9, 2005, 05:48 PM
I will post more on my Marlin refinishing project once I get some pics. I am nearly done with refinishing the stock and I have started stripping the bluing to replace it with Duracoat.

As far as the 10/22 pistol, it is not illegal as long as the receiver has never been part of a functioning rifle. I can buy a receiver from the manufacture with all the paperwork saying it has never been part of a functioning rifle. Then all I need to do it get the barrel cut and crowned and the guts for the inside.

I recently found about this and have been giving it some thought as a fun little project gun. Normally they are converted to handle the 17hmr or 22wmr calibers, but I would stick with the 22LR to keep it simple. I still need to figure out how to get or make stock for one though. They are not readily available. I will email volquartsen to see if they can sell me one or get me in touch with the guys who make theirs. You can see what volquartsen's look like at https://www.volquartsen.com/vc/public/ListFamilies.do?categoryID=5.

October 11, 2005, 10:18 AM
Another thing to consider when discussing the investment in tools is a group build.
As I mentioned, we have a local group build going on that was initated in the hometown section of AR15.com. There are people who already have some or all of the tools. I am going to use their tools and their expertise.

Bane
October 11, 2005, 02:30 PM
AK builds are more involved than AR builds but they are not really complicated. Check out:

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/

The people over there really know how to do any AK build and they are very helpful! Most likely there are people from that forum who live near you and would be happy to help you do an AK build.

Bane
October 11, 2005, 02:33 PM

I believe the website your thinking of is:

http://www.cncgunsmithing.com/

The things that guy makes are awesome!

Otherguy Overby
October 11, 2005, 04:39 PM
I've access to a fabrication shop. Especially if I bring beer. :)

It has a lathe, mill, shear, brake, press, a really good welder and a refridgerator.

So, what would be the best AK to build. One bent up, or one made from heavy weld together flats?

Gordon
October 11, 2005, 09:36 PM
And a small (1/16") 'U.S.' stamp on 7 parts! :evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "Build your own AK 47" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!