Do Stainless Barrels Heat Up Faster?

PDA

CARSON
March 26, 2003, 05:12 PM
I was at a shop where soemone has just started selling rifles and shotguns. When I was there, he told a friend of mine that he should not buy a stainless rifle because it would heat up faster if he was target shooting. I have never heard of this before so I yhought I would ask everyone out there.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do Stainless Barrels Heat Up Faster?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hondo68
March 26, 2003, 05:37 PM
They don't heat up faster, but do dissapate heat slower. So they do run hotter.

Chipperman
March 26, 2003, 05:38 PM
I'm not a metallurgist, but I'll try to field this.
If I recall correctly, Stainless Steel actually is less heat conductive than other steel/Iron. The biggest benefits are for cleaning, hence stainless pots and pans in the kitchen.

So that means the barrel would not heat up as quickly when shooting, but would also not cool down as quickly.

CaesarI
March 26, 2003, 07:49 PM
Regardless they have a better coefficient of friction which equal slightly higher velocity.

-Morgan

If you enjoyed reading about "Do Stainless Barrels Heat Up Faster?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!