Favorite color of fingernail polish?

PDA

Berettafan21
September 8, 2005, 01:16 PM
I know that people are going to make a lot of jokes about the title. I hope however that I also get some good responses. I am trying to decide what color of fingernail polish to use on the front sight of my new Taurus 617 in shadow gray titanium. I am considering something in florescent green. Anyone else have anyexperience with this? Thanx so much.

If you enjoyed reading about "Favorite color of fingernail polish?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Brian Williams
September 8, 2005, 01:19 PM
Flat floresecent orange construction marking paint. or bright orange fingernail polish

TonyB
September 8, 2005, 01:30 PM
For blues guns I use one called "Cool in the Pool"it's a light blue one(my wife does nails for a living,so I've tried a bunch of colors)the front sight shows up real well,but the light doesn't cause reflections or "stars"...
For ss guns I just use black.

RCL
September 8, 2005, 02:24 PM
:scrutiny:

MillCreek
September 8, 2005, 02:46 PM
I use a 0.25 ounce bottle of Testor's acrylic model paint, $ 0.97 the bottle at my local Wal-Mart. I first apply a flat white undercoat, and then use either the fluorescent green or fluorescent orange color. Works like a charm for my middle-aged eyes, takes less than two minutes to apply and dry, is durable, but does come off from holster wear, and is easily removed with Hoppe's # 9.

HiWayMan
September 8, 2005, 03:42 PM
Tequilla Sunrise. It is the brightest orange I've seen yet, and is very durable. Works great on blued or SS guns.

james rogers
September 8, 2005, 04:53 PM
Funny I was considering the same question this last weekend. I have an Interarms Virginia Dragoon in 44mag. Last year I shot 100 or so rounds through it and couldn't hit anything. I was all over the place.

Discouraged, I started thinking about it and went with lighter 180 and 240 grain cartridges this year. I shot a few when it dawned on me I wasn't even really aiming, I was not focusing on my sights...only the object I was shooting at. I figured out why though, I have strong glasses for distance, so as a bad habit I tend not to focus on stuff up close. Guess thats why they make bi-focals.

So once I tried 1st getting the target focused and then focusing in on the sites, bam...I was there.

One thing I noticed was that the red dot on the site is very faded and hard to see...I wanted to brighten it up. Gee whiz its going to look strange shopping for nail polish.
JR

Frandy
September 8, 2005, 05:12 PM
Tequilla Sunrise.

Yup...my wife has some...won't use the color on her nails...glad she still had it though cause now it's with my gun stuff. :D

Here's the color if anyone cares to see it:

Rimmel Tequila Sunrise nail polish (http://www.walgreens.com/store/pickcolor.jsp?id=prod1099042&CATID=100339&skuid=sku1160657&V=G&ec=frgl_670398)

Mastrogiacomo
September 8, 2005, 08:00 PM
Is the polish easy to remove if you change your mind?

denfoote
September 8, 2005, 08:03 PM
I dunno!!
I'm not that kinda guy!!!

Seriously though, I have never had to paint anything with fingernail polish whether it be sights or nails!! If I want a bright dot on any of my front sights I simply have my friendly gunsmith install colored inserts!! It only costs me about $20 to do it!! Otherwise, I spend the bucks and get Trijicons!!

Moonclip
September 8, 2005, 08:32 PM
I've used gold before with ok results on a patridge front sight of a S&W 25-2. Have yet to try it on my toenails though :D

BluesBear
September 9, 2005, 06:22 AM
Is the polish easy to remove if you change your mind? Sure you just chew it off. :neener:
(I thought you know more about this than us guys.)

Acetone. Also handy for dissolving super glue.

Many gun cleaning solvents will soften or remove it if applied directly.

The advantage fingernail polish has over model paint (which is what I normally use - Testors Paint Markers) is that nail polish is thick enough so as to not require a primer coat.

james rogers
September 9, 2005, 07:55 AM
Now you have me wondering if I could have something installed on my pistol permanantly? That's something that did not come to mind before..

For those of you who have wives and daughters...you guys know the answer on how to get the nail polish off. They make this smelly stuff called nail polish remover.

JR

BluesBear
September 9, 2005, 08:14 AM
Once you have the dovetail filed in you ramp you can get a kit from Brownell's (http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=397) so you can fit your own coloured inserts.

http://www.brownells.com/Images/Products/080068069.jpg

1 old 0311
September 9, 2005, 08:35 AM
I have a 12 year old. She has all the wild colors.If you use the clear nail protector over the color it will resist cleaning solvents.

Kevin

TonyB
September 9, 2005, 01:56 PM
Keep the acetone and polish remover away from plastic sights and poly-Glock type guns just in case....I spilled acetone at work once and it desolved my sneaker sole.....

MICHAEL T
September 10, 2005, 02:20 PM
Holy Water for Vampires and Acetone for Glocks :eek: Now we can fight evil on two fronts :D

gulogulo1970
September 10, 2005, 06:28 PM
Rose red...it makes me feel pretty.

Archie
September 10, 2005, 07:25 PM
I used to favor 'hooker red', but I'm not sure if that's a real color these days.

I've gone back to plain black for most everything.

If you enjoyed reading about "Favorite color of fingernail polish?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!