Autauga Parts

PDA

greg531mi
January 1, 2003, 05:06 PM
I just bought a autauga from CDNN, and it was a bargain, but the firm is out of business. I heard that they were going to be sold, but does anyone know of anyone with parts for it? I also have a couple of Stars, and they are good guns too, but since Interarms went out of business, I was wondering about those parts availibility too. I guess I like orphan guns...

If you enjoyed reading about "Autauga Parts" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tomkatz
January 1, 2003, 07:23 PM
as to the autauga, I don't have one but if you go to the forum listed below, go to the third page, thread 53 or so there is some info on them. The guys who wrote these threads might be able to help you.....tom

http://talk.naaminis.com

ps...just did a search at The Firing Line and there is alot of info on these guns over there

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/

alamo
January 1, 2003, 08:30 PM
Some parts like springs might be interchangeable with the Seecamp or Guardian. I wouldn't imagine there is much difference between recoil springs. Other parts could be a big problem.

Here's what I posted about the Autauga on the NAA forum, let me know if you have any other questions after reading this:

Parts and repairs are now pretty much out of the question. I have 2 Autaugas. They are nice little guns, mine have been 100%. While cleaning the one I carry, I was hand cycling the rounds out of the magazine and a couple didn't eject (never happened while firing). I e-mailed Rusty Rossey (developed the Autagua for Autauga Arms & owns Autauga Rifles) about this & he said he'd take a look at it. I really wasn't sure there was a problem with it but I thought, what the heck, doesn't cost much to send a slide to him & I've got another one. Why not have the expert look it over? I had talked to him several times in the past by e-mail and phone and bought spare parts from him.

Very long story but it took over 7 months to get the slide back from him. I was in contact with another fella who had sent his entire pistol to him and we worked on him & finally got our slide/pistol back. Not an experience I'd like to go through again. Very shortly after we got our stuff back (late Sept. 2002), Rusty said he was going to talk to a firearms mfg. about working with them. He said he'd let us know how it worked out & he'd be back in late Oct. I e-mailed in late Oct. and the e-mail was returned undeliverable. I called & the phone was disconnected. I tried again 2 weeks ago by e-mail and phone with the same result.

The only problem I'm aware of is that a few have a slipping trigger bar (problem the guy had that I corresponded with). Rusty says it is an easy fix and he did fix my friends (eventually). There really isn't a warranty anymore since the company is out of business but he fixed them when he had time.

CDNN had bought the remaining inventory of these pistols a couple of years ago and was selling them for $199 (was higher at first). I haven't seen them advertised for awhile so they must be gone. 3,200 of these pistols were made.
They are great little guns but parts and service are no more unless Rusty resurfaces. I personally wouldn't send it in again, I would just try to get parts and take it to a gunsmith. I have a small supply of spares so I'm in good shape. I carry it or my P-32 daily. R.J. Hedley makes holsters for them but he does not advertise this on his website.

Rusty had said at one time he was negotiating with another unnamed mfg. to produce the pistol again but that apparently is not going to happen. Shame, they are fine pistols. Rusty's website is http://www.autaugarifles.com
The e-mail address (hardrock@gulftel.com), phone numbers, and mailing address are no longer valid. I will check it periodically to see if it is ever updated.

Update - the website was down the last few times I tried it. Probably gone for good.

Also here is R.J. Hedley's site if you a want a great custom fitted holster for it. Like I said, he doesn't advertise Autauga holsters, but he does make them. I've got a back pocket version for my Autauga and one for my P-32. Also have a front pocket one for my P-32. He makes great holsters.

http://www.hedleyholsters.com

greg531mi
January 2, 2003, 02:03 PM
Alamo,do you ever carry your back pocket holster in your front pocket? RJ says you can, how comfortable is it? I have a allisa for my colt Pony, but tends to print with tight pants. I would want something that doesn't..Greg

alamo
January 2, 2003, 06:56 PM
Never do but I could. I use the Autauga when I wear a suit to work, slacks or jeans. I really don't notice it there. For front pocket, I use a P-32 in a Hedley front pocket holster generally when I'm wearing loose shorts or some slacks. I just don't like heavier guns in my front pocket, particularly if the pants are somewhat loose, I find the pistol flops around sometimes and if the pockets are fairly big, the holster/pistol can turn sideways on me. All depends on how tight/loose your pants are & the pocket size. Some carry in the front pocket just fine but it's not for me unless it's a P-32.

I believe CDNN still has Autauga magazines if you want another extra. Yours should have come with two. BTW, when Autauga was still making these pistols, they recommended Gold Dots. Don't believe it had much to do with reliability issues, I think they just liked that round. I carry with Gold Dots have have shot Silvertips and Federal Hydrashok, all 100% reliable.

greg531mi
January 3, 2003, 07:04 PM
When I bought my autauga from CDNN, it came with only one mag, but I always order extra's. I got three extra mags for $9.95 each. I ordered holsters that I never use, so I ask opinions before I order them. I bought a IWB, that stuck me right in the ribs, with my Colt Pony, and hate it. That's why I go with a pocket holster.

alamo
January 3, 2003, 07:12 PM
CDNN is keeping one magazine for themselves to re-sell. Both of mine came with 2 and I've seen plenty of NIB ones, all with 2 magazines. Oh well, $199 is a great price, I paid $300 but that was when they were still making them. Shoot it sparingly and practice with the snap cap it should have come with (unless CDNN is keeping those too!), an A-Zoom snap cap.

If you enjoyed reading about "Autauga Parts" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!