Want to rebarrel Rem. 760 '06 to .270win

PDA

Lingoch
September 8, 2005, 07:45 PM
I would like to rebarrel and early 760 to .270win. or 25 '06. Does this require a complete barrel bolt assy. or can the barrel be changed and headspace set? :banghead: :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Want to rebarrel Rem. 760 '06 to .270win" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim K
September 8, 2005, 11:24 PM
Since the gun is .30-06, it should be just a barrel change since the bolt face is the same for all three cartridges, and the overall length should be OK for the magazine.

Things may have changed, but I don't think Remington will sell barrels, but will install new barrels at reasonable cost. I suggest contacting them as your first step.

If you want another brand barrel, as far as I know there are no prethreaded or partially chambered barrels for that gun, so you are looking at having to start with a generic barrel blank and turn it to the proper outside dimensions, thread it, and chamber it, headspacing as you chamber. That is a fairly complex and costly operation. I suggest contacting a local gunsmith and getting an estimate. I rather think the "sticker shock" might make the idea of living with the current caliber or just trading on a new gun more attractive.

Jim

Strongbad
September 9, 2005, 12:54 AM
A rebarrel on that is going to be a little more difficult because it's a pump gun. It's not like a bolt gun. If you were able to find someone to make a barrel for it, it would be cost prohibitive. My suggestion would be to find a take off barrel in 270 or whatever.

Here's a 270 barrel for your 760 off of Gunbroker. $100. You're not going to find rebarrel job anywhere near that cheap if you can find one at all.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?item=36988078

Lingoch
September 9, 2005, 01:24 PM
Thank you all for the quick reply. I will consider looking at a take off barrel and it still shoots well enough for a back up to my .300wsm. I wanted to have a .270win again and since the pump could use a new barrel...well you know. Cost is a factor. I have a broinlaw that has the equipment but don't know if I can trust him to do the barrel swap. He has done 2 rifles so far that turned out good. take care,

If you enjoyed reading about "Want to rebarrel Rem. 760 '06 to .270win" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!