CAn anyone tell me pro con of freedom arms 454 premier?

PDA

jdomin
September 9, 2005, 07:54 PM
would appreciate your input have an opportunity to pick up a D 81xx serial number

If you enjoyed reading about "CAn anyone tell me pro con of freedom arms 454 premier?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rock185
September 9, 2005, 10:41 PM
I have a Premier Grade .454, 4 3/4" bbl. I ordered it with an extra .45 ACP cylinder several years ago. It is the finest, most accurate revolver I have ever owned ( and I have owned quite a few ). I don't hunt anymore and only shoot it once in a while, factory 300 grain ammo at 1585 FPS WHEW !!! It's quite soft to shoot with any .45ACP ammo. In short, Very nice gun.

hksw
September 9, 2005, 11:26 PM
Pros :

One of the most accurate centerfire handguns you'll find.
Incredible (IMO) fit and finish.
Classic single action revolover lines.
Premier - Lifetime warranty.

Cons :

Initial cost.
Some do not like the SA Army-type feel when held.
Some do not like the SA Army-type feel under recoil.*
Some think it heavy.
Much anxiety when the finish is marred.

* Like almost all revolvers, since there is no reciprocating mass, all of the recoil is directed back into the shooter's hand.

dairycreek
September 10, 2005, 08:11 PM
Freedom Arms just makes quality stuff, period ;)

Sergeant Sabre
September 10, 2005, 09:16 PM
There are cons to this revolver????

Mannlicher
September 10, 2005, 09:59 PM
pro is that the Freedom Arms SA revolvers are simply the best.

Con is they are pricy

Standing Wolf
September 10, 2005, 11:05 PM
I've looked at a couple Freedom Arms revolvers. Except for the price tags, they were truly impressive—and the price tags are probably entirely justifiable to those who like single actions.

rick_reno
September 10, 2005, 11:56 PM
I've had both the Premeir and Field Grade FA guns - Premeir was 6 inch, Field 7.5 inch, ported, factory trigger job. Excellent guns - some of the FA crowd believe the earlier guns are higher quality. I don't know, mine were both pre-90 guns and they're the only ones I've had a chance to examine and use. The factory is very good about providing info on when they were made, all you need is the s/n. Both mine cost under $1000 (each) when new, I assume new ones cost more now.

hksw
September 11, 2005, 12:36 AM
...some of the FA crowd believe the earlier guns are higher quality.

That's what I read sometimes too. I've got a pre-83 and a more current 83 and they seem pretty much the same to me.

only1asterisk
September 11, 2005, 01:45 AM
They are the best built handguns on the market. Even though I find the SA grip decidedly uncomfortable, I wouldn't mind owning/shooting one. I like fine guns.

David

jdomin
September 11, 2005, 09:41 AM
thanks for the input looks like i'm a buyer :what:

Jim March
September 11, 2005, 07:25 PM
The thing to understand about FA pricing is that they're line-bored. ALL of 'em, large and mid frame, .22s on up.

If you compare with the cost of a line-bored custom Ruger SA by a known maker, you'll realize the FAs are actually bargains(!) for the accuracy and performance level offered.

Magnum PI
September 12, 2005, 01:15 AM
Excellent point Jim,

To do that to a Ruger ends up costing more than a FA to begin with. I can't understand why someone would pay for this in a Ruger? Seems like a waste, just to shoot a .480 or .500 of some sort.

Back to the original post, FA revolvers are the finest revolvers manufactured today, bar none.

The only con is price and the condition of the used gun that you may be considering.

MPI

mec
September 13, 2005, 02:05 PM
Digging for Cons:
The springs do sometimes break. Some writes have claimed other wise but Freedom Arms has never denied the occasional need to replace a spring. I've seen the trigger/bolt- both the older leaf type and the music wire ones break. Also was there when one main spring let go. The pro side of this is that it doens't happen all that often and FA will fix any problem double quick.

Some people consider the extremely close tollerances a con. The story is that you have to have special FA dies to get the cases sized right to seat in the chambers. A local guy uses a set of Lee dies and has no problem at all.

They Kick: But... The configuration of the grip frame/ Premier micarta grips distributes the recoil of even the heaviest loads very well.

They won't ship to Massachusettes (sp?)

If you enjoyed reading about "CAn anyone tell me pro con of freedom arms 454 premier?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!