Colt 357 Pics. and ?

PDA

BBBS
September 10, 2005, 08:14 PM
Hi, Just picked up this 357 the other day. Was wondering, how many was made in Nickel ? This gun has very minor surface scratches all over it, nothing major at all. Functions perfectly. Think it is collectable, or not?

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt 357 Pics. and ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Standing Wolf
September 10, 2005, 10:10 PM
People do collect those, so I'd expect its value to rise with time. It may be possible to polish out some of the scratches.

Dfariswheel will have the definite answers, I'm sure.

22-rimfire
September 10, 2005, 10:28 PM
The 357 Magnum Model is very collectable. This revolver model was a subset of the Trooper line introduced at about the same time. It is reported that less than 15,000 were manufactured by Colt between 1953 and 1961. There is no breakdown by finish that I am aware of (at least publically). Certainly of the 15,000 made, no more than 20% are likely to have been nickel plated. The nickel numbers are probably considerably less than the 20% based on other revolvers where some information is known.

When introduced, it was the premium 357 revolver offered by Colt. It was finished (fitted and so forth) as well as the later Python model that has been so lauded. Colt introduced the Python in 1955 and it became the premium Colt 357 revolver. The 357 Model is a fine revolver!!

Go to the Colt Forum as this revolver has been recently discussed at some length. DFariswheel is the expert on these things and he has very aptly summarized the 357 model there.

larry starling
September 10, 2005, 10:41 PM
nice looking older colt....scratches and all :D

Moonclip
September 11, 2005, 12:47 AM
Nice, same action of a Python too I think. More collectible than a Trooper? I'd say so. I read somewhere that about 5% of Colt revolver production was nickel plated but I don't know how that plays across the individual models or if it makes your gun more desireable.

Local gun shop has a Python that is not moving partly because of price, but clerk also claims people perfer the blue over nickel.

I myself like nickel plated guns but I like old nice Colt blue more.

Gordon
September 11, 2005, 01:16 AM
That gun is worth $500-$600 only because people don't know it is every bit as good as a Python IMHO. :)

BBBS
September 11, 2005, 08:04 AM
Thanks everyone, I too heard the action was the same as the Python. It is extremly smooth and the trigger is great. Lockup is tighter than a vault. Are these grips the same as a Python? I have a pre-suffic Python, but I hate to mess with it, just to check the fit. I think it was a good deal at $350.00

22-rimfire
September 11, 2005, 09:20 AM
You got a heck of a deal, scratches and all. Enjoy it. Generally the Nickel guns are more desireable, but as was mentioned with the Python, folks tend to like the blue finish models better. That does not make the gun less valuable, only a little more difficult to sell. I would take it in a minute for what you paid for it and never look back. I would venture a guess that under 2000 were nickel plated, but there is no way to know. I believe I suggested before, join the Colt Forum. You will like it.

BBBS
September 11, 2005, 10:06 AM
I joined the Colt Forum a while back. Good reading, I have learned quite a bid there.

slick6
September 11, 2005, 10:53 AM
I really like my Colt .357, pictured below:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/shootit/f05a76c4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/shootit/9fcf6cf7.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/shootit/04d5104a.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/shootit/9276ef4e.jpg

BBBS
September 11, 2005, 10:57 AM
Slick, Man that is nice. Wanna trade? lol

Gordon
September 11, 2005, 12:38 PM
Beautiful .357! :what:

thatguy
September 11, 2005, 12:49 PM
The .357 Magnum (and pre-MK III Trooper) uses the same lockwork and stocks as the Python. All Colts have achieved collector status, apparently, looking at the rising prices. I saw a similar gun to yours 3-4 years ago at $200. Now, it would likely take 2-3 times that to pry it out of the owner's hands.

I have heard that about 15% of S&W production was nickel so maybe the Colt was about the same? Nickel was popular in the South. And Denver, now that I think about it. A few years ago I went to a Denver gun show and I never saw so many nickel plated pistols in my life.

That Colt is very classy and you should enjoy it.

slick6
September 11, 2005, 10:06 PM
BBBS:

1)No, I wouldn't want to trade my engraved Colt .357!
2)I might consider selling it one of these days? It definately, is a beauty!

Gordon:

1)Thanks, for your nice compliment!

22-rimfire
September 11, 2005, 11:41 PM
Slick6: BEAUTIFUL GUN!!!! I have a feeling that it is no $1000 Colt. That's Colt engraving, right? C Coverage?

BluesBear
September 12, 2005, 06:37 AM
While still beautiful, it doesn't looks like Colt factory engraving to me. Something just looks a little different than the Colt style.
But it's hard to tell with this old monitor.

slick6
September 12, 2005, 11:16 AM
I don't know if my ".357" was engraved by Colt(Or, not?)as I didn't care to spend the $$$ that Colt's wanted to obtain a letter from them, on my revolver! Nevertheless, the engraving was beautifully done and, my gun is very "Unique" as I have never seen another engraved Colt ".357" anywhere! :confused:

BluesBear
September 13, 2005, 03:26 AM
I agree it is a beautiful revolver.

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt 357 Pics. and ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!