Super Redhawk Alaskan = cool gun

PDA

P. Plainsman
September 11, 2005, 06:16 PM
Got to play with one of these at the gun store recently. It's a cool design. Surprisingly handy with the cut-down barrel, but still has enough weight that I'd at least venture into ".45 Colt +P" territory with it. (Probably would still balk at full-tilt .454; but that's just me.) Comes with a very thick, heavy rubber monogrip with covered backstrap, which fit my hand well. The double action trigger pull was pretty nice, typical of the Super Redhawk design. Wish I could have run a few rounds through it.

The Alaskan looks strong, bold, functional. As a nonhunter, I view it as a hardcore cabin or truck defense gun. That hole at the end of the heavy barrel/frame is freaking big. The most visually intimidating maw of any production DA revolver I'm aware of, 'cept the short X-frame S&W .500 Mag.

If you enjoyed reading about "Super Redhawk Alaskan = cool gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Matt G
September 11, 2005, 06:31 PM
Here's some nifty .45 Colt loads for it by Buffalo Bore: http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/default.htm#45colt

If they're too heavy and you want something you can shoot in other .45 Colts, they have that as well:
http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/default.htm#low45

Of course, you could just use their manly .454 loadings:
http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/default.htm#454 (yikes)

[Note: originally posted this was a Georgia Arms load. It's Buffalo Bore.]

P. Plainsman
September 11, 2005, 06:34 PM
.454 Casull
360 gr. L.W.N.G.C. (1425 fps / M.E. 1623 ft. lbs.)
(Big game up to 2000 lbs.)

Lord have mercy.

I like how Buffalo Bore notes on the web page that this is still not loaded to maximum pressure specs for the .454.

Matt G
September 11, 2005, 06:46 PM
Did you check out their +P .38 special loads: (http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/default.htm#38spl)
158 gr. L.S.W.C.H.P.--G.C. (1,000fps/M.E. 351 ft.lbs.)
125 gr. L.V. Speer Uni Core (1,050fps/M.E. 306 ft.lbs.)
The new buffalo Bore Heavy 38 SPL+p ammo will maximize the effectiveness of your 38 SPL revolver. All velocities are taken from S&W J frame revolvers with 2 inch barrels. The powders are flash suppressed so as to not hinder your vision should you be required to drop the hammer in low light.

Item 20A/20 is the terrific SOFT lead semi wad cutter hollow cavity bullet, however we've added a gas check to stop the leading that this load typically causes with other manufacturers version of this bullet.

Item 20B/20 uses the low velocity (LV) Gold Dot bullet that is designed to expand at as little as 800 fps, so you will get expansion out of very short barrels.

Whether you prefer the very soft semi wadcutter lead bullet, or a very soft JHC, (jacketed hollow cavity) these HVY 38 SPL+p loads will turbo charge your 38 SPL revolver.
Heh. Maybe out of your 2" revolver. I want my Chief's Special Airweight to still have its timing when I'm done shooting it! :) I would carry 'em in it, but not ever want to practice with them.

pezo
September 11, 2005, 07:24 PM
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b260/pezo/STrgrRHttl.jpg. I need a big bore revo and the short barrel on this thing just make it a unique looking peice. My next purchase when finances are available.

umc180gr
September 11, 2005, 10:05 PM
I saw the Super for the first time at Cabelas here in Kansas City. They had it on sale for $629.00. I agree it did look like it had a big freakin hole in the end of that short barrel if you can call that a barrel. I sure wish Ruger would make one in .44 MAG. Anyone think they will?

BluesBear
September 12, 2005, 06:06 AM
Has anyone handled/fired one chambered for .480 Ruger yet?

Mossyrock
September 12, 2005, 12:09 PM
BB,

I handled one yesterday, in fact. There is one currently in the case at "The Marksman" on Canyon Road in Puyallup. They had one in .454 as well, but it sold within 10 minutes of hitting the display case! (You KNOW what a huge problem marauding grizzlies are here in Western WA...) Anyway, I was surprised at just how comfortable the grip was. The balance was good and the action was pretty good as well. I have considered picking one up in .480 just to have a gun in that caliber. I would really prefer a stainless Bisley in that caliber, but Ruger just doesn't seem to think that their guns will take it. :banghead: I guess I will just have to have Dave Clements convert my stainless .45 Bisley one of these days.

BluesBear
September 13, 2005, 03:41 AM
I think they would make more money by putting it in the rental case instead of selling it.
I know I'd toss away a few scheckels to try one.

Stainz
September 13, 2005, 07:07 AM
What's to 'try'? Remember, it is just a SRH - without a barrel - and with a bit shorter grip on the standard GP-100/SRH style grip stud. Actually, that grip resembles the excellent .500 Magnum Hogue grips S&W employs. In use I found the shorter grip was functional, if not as nice as the stock grips on my old .454 SRH. Additionally, I thought I would miss the muzzle lift reducing effect of the barrel mass. Not so, it looses so much velocity, thus, muzzle lift and recoil energy, from the dimunitive barrel, that it seemed milder than my old 7.5"-er. Unfortunately, that was from memory... I traded my SRH late last fall. Additionally, the owner didn't have the 240gr 2,000 fps Hornady XTP's I liked - just the 'milder' Magtech's and my .45 Colts. It does gain in one area over the SRH, and I didn't think that was possible - muzzle & b/c flash... what a flamethrower!

The SRH/GP-100 lockwork in my friend's Alaskan was as good as my old SRH - a DA trigger Ruger should be proud of. If you have ever shot a l o n g pull Redhawk, the SRH will be a treat. No, it isn't a well broken-in S&W, but it is close. The brighter SS (Yeah, I liked the grey better.) package is neat - but only as a last ditch piece. In fact, I would rather have the .480 Ruger variant, although I haven't seen, much less tried one. The whole concept - a .475 Linebaugh-lite - with it's larger frontal cross section, greater mass, and slower, non-overpenetrating velocity, seems more appropriate for a 'last ditch' protector.

Oddly, I really liked the idea of a shortened SRH - a la the 4", I think, homebrew mentioned either here or on another 'general' revolver forum. The enterprizing fellow had used a hacksaw to cut it off, and a router bit to replace the crown. Great idea... Still, that snubby 'Alaskan' SRH is alluring...

Stainz

If you enjoyed reading about "Super Redhawk Alaskan = cool gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!