I've got an idea rattling around my brain.

PDA

JackOfAllTradesMasterAtNone
September 12, 2005, 01:18 PM
I'm looking for a 1/4" stainless rod that's about 12" long. (That's pretty easy, my local hardware store should have that). To add to that I need some slide on balance weights, (donuts), with set screws.

Here's the idea. Weight with a target pistol is a shooters best friend in most cases. Right? But what if the balance is off? Has anyone toy'd with balance weights that come aft of the grip to balance out long heavy barreled pistols?

-Steve

If you enjoyed reading about "I've got an idea rattling around my brain." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
M67
September 23, 2005, 10:58 AM
a) You would want two rods, at an angle to each other. That way you can balance "roll" as well as "pitch".

b) I tnink it has been experimented with in ISSF free pistol, but if it hasn't caught on with those guys, I doubt there is much to gain.

c) I would guess that most types of competition have rules against that kind of thing. In 25 m international bulls eye pistol for example, the gun has to fit in a box 300x150x50 mm, with all accessories fitted - in addition to weight and other limitations.

JackOfAllTradesMasterAtNone
September 23, 2005, 11:55 AM
That's great information. Thank you.

-Steve

Sunray
September 25, 2005, 03:38 AM
"...long heavy barreled pistols..." They reduce muzzle jump. In any case, a target pistol must meet specs. Like M67 says, serious bullseye matches have a box that the firearm must fit into or it's disallowed. Rods sticking out the back would be awkward as hell.

Old Fuff
September 25, 2005, 10:18 AM
Jack of ...... :D

Which of your target pistols do you have in mind?

You are right about weight, so long as you can handle it. And yes, balance is also part of it.

Stocks that have a generous thumb support help.

RyanM
September 25, 2005, 11:42 AM
I think you'd want to be careful about having anything sticking out behind the grip. Knowing the good old BATFE, they'd probably charge you with manufacturing a short-barreled rifle if the weight sticks out more than a couple inches. If one of their agents ever caught wind of this semi-automatic assault pistol with nonfolding wire stock.

Owen
September 25, 2005, 08:09 PM
First, Weight is not your friend. You have to hold that thing out there for at least an hour for most matches. I also think in ISSF and NRA it is against the rules to have any part of the pistol extend behind the bend in the wrist.

lycanthrope
September 25, 2005, 09:19 PM
Machine some grips out of tungsten maybe?

If you enjoyed reading about "I've got an idea rattling around my brain." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!