Tell me about 22 hornet...

PDA

Lone_Gunman
September 12, 2005, 05:18 PM
I am looking for a good rifle with which to kill wild/feral/stray dogs that wander on the farm from time to time. Range would be probably no more than 150 yards, and usually well within 100 yards.

I am looking at the Ruger Model 77 in 22 hornet. I want a little more power than 22 magnum, but not as much as 223 Remington.

Would 22 hornet fit the bill? How loud is 22 hornet compared to 22 mag?

If you enjoyed reading about "Tell me about 22 hornet..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Byron
September 12, 2005, 07:18 PM
LG, The Hornet is a superb cartridge and will do what you are expecting of it.It is an easy cartridge to reload. Do a search in THR on the Hornet. There is a wealth of info. Byron

MachIVshooter
September 13, 2005, 12:42 AM
Great cartridge. Fairly mild report and no recoil, but quite effective. I've shot praire rats out to 266 yards with mine in an NEF Handi-Rifle with a 4-12x 40mm scope using 40 grain V-Max's. The 35 grainers are a little faster, but not as accurate and lose energy quicker. The 40 gr. pills leave the muzzle at 2835 FPS. 35 gr. is 2955 and 45 gr. is 2690. I use H-110 for all Hornet loads.

berettashotgun
September 13, 2005, 08:04 PM
Grew up learning the fine art of shooting with a ruger #3 in .22 hornet. The ONLY way for a unattended kid to spend his days :evil: . They kill deer very easily inside of 50 yards uh' I heard- yeah- I heard. Got shells at OTASCO on a signature when I was 8.I love the old America.

g1726
September 13, 2005, 09:42 PM
In short, it may be exactly what you're looking for. I grew up in eastern PA and claimed about 300 groundhogs over about 4 years with one. Shots were from 10-150 yards and only required a second shot on rare occasions, usually when I hit the body rather than the head.

My 77/22 Hornet didn't group real well with factory ammo, but with handloads was a bit better. You might also look at the CZ's for rifles, I know they make a few in Hornet.

GunGoBoom
September 13, 2005, 10:16 PM
As mentioned, it would work for your purposes, but I'd still get a .223 for that use instead. Cheaper to shoot, a smidge more power, and many more platforms with more bullet twist rate choices. Hornet rifles are usually made with 1 in 14" twist bbls, which means they only work well with 35 or 40 grainers, not 45, 50, or heavier.

Skofnung
September 13, 2005, 10:41 PM
If you are a good shot, the Hornet is probably the perfect round for what you intend to do.

Onmilo
September 14, 2005, 09:16 AM
I like the K-Hornet better than the original.
It is an easy gunsmith conversion, simple finish reaming is usually all that is needed.
Headspace remains exactly the same with the K-Hornet
Case capacity is increased, it downloads easier and more efficiently.
Standard Hornet ammunition can be used in a K-Hornet chamber and it doesn't effect anything in the negative plus you get automatically fire formed K-Hornet cases.
The K-Hornet is way less picky when it comes to reloading acceptably accurate ammunition.
A better choice in my humble opinion, especially if your rifle has a 1 in 12 or better yet, a 1 in 10 rifling twist.

ThreadKiller
September 14, 2005, 09:39 AM
I'd look real hard at the new Savage single shot Hornet. Many Ruger Hornet users have a heck of a time getting consistent accurarcy out of their 77's.

Savages have a reputation for being very accurate right out of the box. A lot of gun for the money.

The Hornet is a neat little cartridge. I load mine exclusively with Lil' Gun with all bullet weights. Shoots like a dream out of my Model 70. The little Hornady 35 gr Vmax is hell on prairie dogs.

The 223 is much more practical, but the Hornet is just one of those neat old rounds that continues to endear itself.

Tim

GunGoBoom
September 14, 2005, 10:42 AM
I'd look real hard at the new Savage single shot Hornet

Yeah, that new Savage may be just enough of a reason to add a new caliber to the collection (.22 hornet/k-hornet):

http://www.savagearms.com/40Varmint.htm

But it's still got that standard 1 in 14 twist...

got_the_bug
September 14, 2005, 11:25 AM
Lone_Gunman...

My experience with the .22 Hornet shooting varmints is nil, so please take that into account, but may I also suggest you look at the .221 Fireball? That is a caliber I have a lot of practical experience with. The Fireball will drive a 50 grain bullet to approximately the same speeds as the Hornet will drive a 35 grain bullet (~2900 fps). Feral dogs can be pretty large, and while I am sure a 35 grainer would do the trick on most, I'd want something a little heavier to ensure humane kills. The .221 is a really great round out of a rifle (accurate, fairly low noise level, decent range), and there are some excellent firearms chambered for it -- Remington, CZ, etc. Again, not trying to start a "my caliber is better than the one you chose" flame war, just thinking a heavier bullet might be a little better suited to your purpose.

Vern Humphrey
September 14, 2005, 11:33 AM
The solution to Hornet accuracy:

1. Fire-form your cases. SAAMI standards for Hornet chambers and cases make for a sloppy fit. A case fire-formed to your rifle will produce better accuracy.

2. Disturb your brass as little as possible. I use a Lee collet die, which squeezes the neck radially. With standard dies, the force of the ram is transmitted through the case walls and can bulge them. Pulling the expander ball backward through the neck can stretch the case.

3. Only size part of the neck. I put two washers on the shell holder, to cause the collet to activate early, sizing the last 1/4 inch or so. This leaves the rest of the neck to act as a "pilot" to center the bullet.

4. Use Hodgdon's Li'l Gun. This powder has a lower peak, but longer burning period. The lower pressures are good for your brass, and give consistent results. I use the case itself as a powder measure, and simply dip it full and strike the mouth, then tap it to settle the contents. A case full of Li'l Gun and a Hornady 35-grain V-Max will give about 3,000 fps in my Kimber M82.

5. Use the Hornady 35-grain V-Max. This bullet has a short nose, and allows you to seat the shoulder out far enough to touch the lands without being too long to feed through the magazine. (See below)

6. All the Hornets I have shot are more accurate with the bullet almost or actually touching the lands.

theCZ
September 14, 2005, 11:39 AM
One thing that got_the_bug forgot to mention about the .221FB is that it has a reputation for being very accurate. The Hornet can be accurate, but it can also be incredibly frustrating. My experience with a hornet has been in an Anschutz sporter made in the 50s. I finally figured out after trying all kinds of reloading tricks (I was getting 6" 100yd groups w/factory ammo) that the headspacing was very off. So, if after taking it to the gunsmith I start getting accurate groups I'll post them here. I'd look into a 221FB as well. Also, in the off chance that you shoot the barrell out you could have it rechambered in any one of the many 222/223/222mag family of cartridges. With the hornet if you shoot the barrel out, at something around 6000 rounds you could get a new barrel in 17 hornet or something fun like that!

got_the_bug
September 14, 2005, 03:08 PM
Didn't I mention accuracy? Oh, well, then I guess I should post some supporting evidence... :D

Here is 5 shots @ 100 yards...yeah, I know, no land speed records, but still... :neener:

Vern Humphrey
September 14, 2005, 03:16 PM
I take it that's .221 Fireball?

That's gilt-edge accuracy from any cartridge.

got_the_bug
September 14, 2005, 03:25 PM
Yep...Remington 700 LVSF in .221 Fireball...what a great little rifle. Not cheap, but highly recommended. I've also shot the CZ 527 American in .22 Hornet and .221 Fireball, and they are both recommended as well.

Essex County
September 14, 2005, 03:25 PM
I've had experience with a couple of Hornets and loaded for it for a while. There isn't a single thing that the hornet can do that a handloaded .223 can't do better. Do I like the Hornet? You Bet! I think it's practical in this day and age to go with something more efficent. I own five .223's ( counting AR's ) and they pretty much have it covered....Essex

Vern Humphrey
September 14, 2005, 03:37 PM
If you can find a Kimber M82, jump on it! I got mine from an estate for $600, with Weaver K6 scope (the old all-steel version.)

I have a post-it on my front door, "check for crows" to remind me to look before swinging the door open. I've killed a many in the pasture shooting from a prone position on the front porch.

Day before yesterday, I looked and saw a huge flock in the pasture (which also has a fair amount of trees on the upper slope.) I put in my ear plugs, and since they were close (around 100 yards,) just cracked open the door and nailed one.

Crows went everywhere, flapping, cawing and raising a ruckus. One landed about 10 feet from the one I just shot. Bang!

They continued to flap and caw, and then began to settle in the trees. Bang!

I got six before they finally got the message. Never saw crows do that before.

Gewehr98
September 14, 2005, 03:52 PM
You know why the birds acted that way, you killed the scout(s). ;)

Always was a big fan of the Kilbourn (K) Hornet myself. Sometimes one doesn't need a .223 Remington's noise and blast. Of course, I'll never own a big belted magnum for 100-300 yard deer hunting, either. :D

Vern Humphrey
September 14, 2005, 04:16 PM
You know why the birds acted that way, you killed the scout(s).

They acted like Democrats after the Republicans won the election. :D

Always was a big fan of the Kilbourn (K) Hornet myself. Sometimes one doesn't need a .223 Remington's noise and blast. Of course, I'll never own a big belted magnum for 100-300 yard deer hunting, either.

One of these days I need to try a K-Hornet. I thought about re-chambering my Kimber, but I figured why fix it if it ain't broke?

I have one belted magnum -- a 77 Ruger in 7mm Remington Magnum. I traded for it years ago, and it mostly just sits on the rack. If I had to give up one of my guns, that would be it.

Fatelvis
September 14, 2005, 06:16 PM
Essex, what about a mild load in the Hornet? Its much quieter than the .223, for those of us shooting in our back yard (when we're not supposed to!).

ThreadKiller
September 15, 2005, 07:01 PM
Model 70 Winchester 100 yards 13 grs Lil' Gun 35 grain Hornady V-Max.

Hornet target (http://www.frontiernet.net/~netim/target2.jpg)

MachIVshooter
September 15, 2005, 10:21 PM
Yep...Remington 700 LVSF in .221 Fireball...what a great little rifle. Not cheap, but highly recommended.

Agreed. I recently bought one in .17 Rem. Averages .62" 5-shot 100 yd. groups with the first batch of handloads, but I think I can get sub-1/2 MOA with some work. Have already dropped the trigger to a .032", 1.4 lb pull. Haven't tried the 25 gr. HP's yet; only the 20 gr. V-maxes. Chronoed 4240 FPS avg. for 3 10-shot strings (4241, actually. but I usualy round)

AgentOrange
April 19, 2008, 11:04 AM
i know this is an old thread, but im famous i guess for reserecting them..lol

the 22 hornet is great, but the 22K hornet is a sweeeetie.

Vern Humphrey
April 19, 2008, 11:12 AM
The K Hornet is indeed a fine cartridge -- but rifles originally chambered in K Hornet are scarce (or expensive) and there are many re-chambered Hornets that won't shoot well for sour apples.

So if you're offered a K Hornet, shoot it first.

24kshooter
April 19, 2008, 12:41 PM
204 Ruger - - get a NEF single shot rifle and 4X 04 2X7 scope and you are in business for less than a Ruger 77.

sachmo
April 19, 2008, 01:25 PM
The Hornet and Ruger 77 makes for a great little combo. As has been noted accuracy can be variable with these but there is a guy who reworks them for not a lot of money and turns them into really nice little shooters. My thoughts on the Hornet are to just enjoy the cartridge the way it is, its not about squeezing the most velocity you can out of it.. The k Hornet will get you a little more than the regular Hornet but if I was going that route I would prefer the .222 Remington. Its a better cartridge in all respects. And if velocity out of a .22 center fire is what you want then we have the .22/250 and .220 Swift to play with.

Vern Humphrey
April 19, 2008, 02:10 PM
In my opinion, the Hornet is like a red-headed woman, intriguing, exasperating, frustrating, but fun.

AgentOrange
August 30, 2008, 09:18 PM
I own a ruger 77/22 hornet i rechambered for 22 K hornet. my is the more expensive heavy barreled stainless all weather model with the laminated stock. it was a flat shooter before i rechambered it, i was getting 1/2" 100yard 3 shot groups no problem, but when i did the rechamber on it to K hornet, i instantly started getting 1 hole 3 shot and 5 shot groups everytime. my pet loads are speer 52gr hollow points sitting on 12gr lilgun with a federal small pistol primer, and 35gr hornady vmax sitting on 12gr of H4227 with a small federal pistol primer.both loads C.O.L is 1.735. both loads are 1 hole group loads in my gun. last year, i used it for hunting blacktails here at my locale loaded with the 52gr speer HP's. shot a nice 3 point at 50 yards ( a really average shot in my area, with 75 yards being a long shot) in the neck and he dropped like a stone. you would have probably fell over if you had seen the damage that that little 52gr HP did. nothing left meatwise in the neck, it was all razzberry jello. he dressed at about 165lbs.......ive always been a fan of small caliber 22 centerfire deer hunting myself, and have hunted with about every one you can think of. i like the K hornet for a window gun whilst im driving ( im in california where any centerfire cartridge is legal for deer,regardless of caliber, so please check your local laws before using one!)...i am disabled and have a california disabled persons motor vehicle hunting license ( meaning i can legally hunt from my vehicle,shoot from the window from the road,etc without having to pull over, turn the rig off, get out,walk off the road,etc. which makes it nice)

i know ill probably get slammed by the "22 c enterfires are too damn small and inhumane" crowd, but ive been hunting with 22 centerfires for years, including the 22 hornet,22 k hornet, 222,223,etc. i have never EVER had a deer take one single step after shooting them, every single one has dropped at the shot. 99% of the guys who holler that a 22 centerfire is too small have never hunted deer with one and are generally repeating what they heard elsewere on another forum,etc. actually, i see hunting with a 22 centerfire more humaine that chasing deer with a stick and string ( bow and arrow). ive seen lots of perfect shots on deer with bow and arrow,right thru both lungs and still watched the deer run 300 yards, lay down and cry for 30 minutes before finally succuming and bleeding to death. ive also found a total of 15 deer over 30 years in the woods dead and rotting with arrows in them that were shot and ran off and died,and never recovered.......nice thing about 22 centerfires is the bullet generally goes right in,explodes and stays right there causing more trauma than an 30'06

anyway, after all of this hornet talk, im gonna go pull mine out of the safe and go out back and shoot me some paper!

kurts_armory
August 31, 2008, 01:46 AM
a great round! i had the opportunity to shoot one of these a bout a week ago. was constantly hitting in the same hole at 100 yards! i believe it was a rolling block, but i cant remember the make/model.

Oohrah
August 31, 2008, 02:06 AM
Listen to Vern Humphrey !!!!:D:D:D:D I own a Ruger 77/22 Hornet and
followed his advise. The 35 gr Hornady Vmax and 13 grs that fills a
unfired case. Velocity above 3000 fps, and ten rounds fit in an inch;)
Plan to collet neck size those fired cases, but never expected that kind
of accuracy in first fired cases. Very low noise with low chamber pressures

AgentOrange
August 31, 2008, 01:57 PM
shoot, this morning and pulled mine out and loaded up some 35gr vmax's and headed to the range. i benched off of the hood of my truck,shot 10 rounds and had a single 3/8" hole at 150 yards....hows that?

Owen
August 31, 2008, 02:38 PM
I thought y'all were supposed to be helping me on my 12 step program to stop buying guns.

Oh wait, wrong forum, dangit.

jkingrph
August 31, 2008, 04:11 PM
I have two, a Ruger #1,with 6x20 Leupod targets scope, and Kepplinger set trigger. It's so big, heavy and stable, you can literally see bullet holes when you pull the trigger. The gun is better than I am nowdays. The second is a little CZ 527 I think, with a Leupold 4x rimfire scope mounted. It's a much better walking around rifle and accuracy is surpube(sp). Factory set trigger is good and really helps accuracy. The mineature Mauser action is a jewell. Reloading for it is a bit tricker than for the Ruger because of limited magazine length.

Vern Humphrey
August 31, 2008, 04:27 PM
Reloading for it is a bit tricker than for the Ruger because of limited magazine length
That's why I like the 35 grain Hornady V-Max. The critical part of the bullet is the shoulder -- right were it transitions from a cylinder to a point. You want to get this part as close to the rifling as you can.

The shank (cylindrical portion) of all V-Maxes are identical -- the nose is where the extra weight is. The lighter the bullet, the shorter the nose. So you can load the 35 grain V-Max to put the shoulder of the bullet almost against the rifling, and still have an OAL that will feed through your magazine.

MMCSRET
August 31, 2008, 04:28 PM
I have a Savage M40 single shot and really find it a joy to load and shoot, fitted with a fixed 6x, I don't think I want to shoot any farther than that sight set up will allow. great cartridge.

Walkalong
August 31, 2008, 05:16 PM
In my opinion, the Hornet is like a red-headed woman, intriguing, exasperating, frustrating, but fun.I like it.

I had a Savage 23D, then a Sako, but now only have a Ruger 77/22 in .22 Hornet. I shake my head a lot about trading away the other two, especially the Sako. :banghead:

Fun little cartridge.

AgentOrange
August 31, 2008, 06:58 PM
i have an early sako pre-vixen (with a 5 digit serial number) in .222. suckers got a 28" sporter taper barrel. well actually its labeled "J.C. HIGGENS MODEL 52", but what jc did is bought there guns directly from sako, and then stamped there name on the barrels after the fact ( the gun is factory marked sako on the receiver AND the barrel, and jc stamped it on the opposite side from the sako stamp , so it says sako on one side of the barrel, and on the other, jc..pretty unusual)...anyway, thats another flat shootin gun. ive toyed with the idea of selling my 22 K hornet, and getting myself a 22-250 as ive got some areas for ground squirrels thast are loooong range, but im not sure i could bring myself to do it.ive got so much in the sucker 3 sets of rcbs dies,22 hornet for reloading regular 22 hornet cases for fireforming,a set of full length 22 k hornet dies for resizing the whole k hornet case, and a set of neck sizer dies for just sizing the neck, a set of RCBS trim dies for both 22H and 22 KH (special ordered from RCBS), about 300 fireformed once fired brass,about 200 loaded k hornet shells loaded with 52gr speer hollowpoints and 35gr hornady v max with lilgun powder,3 ring setup for scope stability,4x16 power scope, harris bipod,etc.. when i bought mine, it was purchased specifically for rechambering to k hornet and never had a 22 hornet even fired thru it until after it was done..lol....so as you can see, im really into the K hornet...LOL....only thing i havent done is installed the adjustable trigger i bought for it sometime back, but it already breaks like a glass rod, so i havent seen the need...ill snap a picture of it when i get a chance and post it.......

AgentOrange
August 31, 2008, 07:05 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/johnsguns/DSCF0496.jpg

i dont know how accurate the information is, but i had a guy awhile back tell me that ruger stopped production and is no longer making the 22 hornet......might be pretty accurate info though as i just looked on gunbroker and the one like mine starts about 600.00+ bone stock, all the way up to $799.00

gvnwst
August 31, 2008, 07:35 PM
I don't know if you (lone gunman) have allready bought a hornet or soem other rifle, but heres my 2 c:

the .22 hornet is a great little round, but ammo is getting more and more expensive. (where i live)
something like the .221 rem fireball or its 17 cal counterpart the .17 rem fireball is cheaper ammo, more, cheaper firearms for it, and more power and range. accuary is a bit better on the average too...

hope this helped

AgentOrange
August 31, 2008, 09:07 PM
yea, but you have to remeber that one of the appeals of the 22 hornet and 22 K hornet is reloading and hand tayloring your ammunition. whilst factory 221 and 17 ammo may be cheaper, id almost guarantee you that reloading for either one wont be any cheaper than the 22 hornet or K hornet, and most likely more expensive. i used to reload for a 17 remington i had and components we not cheap. i dont know for certain myself, but from what ive heard, both the 17 and 221 are hard on barrels. you know how rumors are though. ive seen 22 hornets with in excess of 15,000 rounds thru them that are still going strong.

Oohrah
September 1, 2008, 12:57 AM
With the Ilgun powder 13 gr pretty well fills a virgin case and Hornady
35 Vmax. Very inexpensive, accurate, low pressured and high velocity.
What's not to like? Was going to rebarrel a 77/22 hornet to a NorPac
barreled 17 Hornet. It shoots way too good as is. It isn't broke, so
there isn't anything to fix. Under an inch at 100yds with ten shot groups
with a stock rifle is good for me :)

AgentOrange
September 1, 2008, 09:30 AM
got that right oohrah

MMCSRET
September 1, 2008, 09:47 AM
I also load and shoot 221 FB, good cartridge and every bit as effective as my 222, but just not as neat as the Hornet.

jjohnson
September 1, 2008, 10:00 AM
Well, I've shot and admired the Hornet for over 35 years.

I haven't shot anything bigger with the Hornet than big groundhogs (and I mean BIG) but it does well what it was designed for. If you've decided the Ruger is what you want and have read the notes about possible accuracy problems, go ahead. I've been shooting a Savage M340, which was fairly common in its day and still is often seen at gun shows.

With good ammo, it'll do about 1.5 MOA if I do my job. Mine likes 40-grain Speer and Hornady bullets. Yep, the extreme edge of its use, in my opinion, is under 200 yards, but inside that, the expansion is very good with "Hornet" bullets, and as mentioned, very tame, very quiet, and simply pleasant to shoot.

It's not the best cartridge for handloading, and the K-Hornet will get you more, but if you don't reload and you're shooting maybe 100 rounds a year, who cares? If you're looking at this as a much improved .22 Magnum, you're not wrong. The only real downside I can see is that "feral dogs" can be a lot bigger than groundhogs. I know that old timers often shot deer with the Hornet, but that's more body mass than I'd want to tackle with the limitation of bullets for the Hornet. Mine will NOT stabilize heavier bullets - it will NEVER be a .223 - but I keep my Hornet because it fills its niche perfectly.

My neighbors wouldn't go for me using my 22-250 or even .223 in my backyard. :evil:

Have fun - it's a very cool little old cartridge that's a hoot to shoot.

Walkalong
September 1, 2008, 11:02 AM
Here is my Ruger 77/22 .22 Hornet. The action has started turning that "plum" color. It likes the Hornady V-Max bullets as well.

dagger dog
September 1, 2008, 01:12 PM
Walkalong,

That Ruger is a nice lookin' rig, wish my Savage Mdl. 40 looked that nice!
Can't really complain about the way my cheap Savage shoots. It's a real tack driver, and the V- Max in 35 or 40 grs with the 12.5 -13 grs of Lil' Gun with a benchrest small rifle primer,is the key to those tiny dime size groups.

When you stuff that 13 grs of Lil' Gun in the neck sized case and cap it of with the 35 gr V-Max, it will clock 3000fps or just a little bit better out of a 24" bbl. This will totaly discombobulate the boiler room of any coyote size canine, all ya gots to do is put it in the lung area, it won't make it through the other side. You got to do your part on range estimation and don't pop one off if your over 150 yds. If you go out to 200 the 40's are better they don't move much slower about 200fps less but either one will drop them on the first shot.

Some things I like about the Hornet is being able to spot your own shots through the scope, that is if what your shooting will hang aroun for the next shot. The noise level is low, plus you can get a whole lot of shooting out of a pound of powder. Plus it's easy to pack less than 8 lbs with scope.

AgentOrange
September 1, 2008, 02:55 PM
walkalong

ive got one identical to that in my safe. mine is a real early one. if you can find the earlier ones, they have just a hair thicker barrel.

i was doing some reloading this morning and ran across a load that called for H4198 powder and a 53gr barnes XFB bullet. i had some hornady 53gr match and subsituted them for the barnes, and subbed IMR 4198 for the H4198. low is 11.2gr and high was 12.5C, so i slapped 12gr of the 4198 in the shells and ran them out back to the range. at 200 yards, those suckers fly like there laser guided!.5 shot 1 hole groups all day with no pressure signs. on the way back in there was a yote spyin on me at about 150 yards on this little knoll. i pulled down on the sucker and let one fly and he dropped like a stone. i drove up to check him out, and he had a nice neat little hole going in. i was gonna throw him in the back of the truck, so i rolled him over, and low and behold, he had an exit hole about 8" across and his heart and lungs ( what was left of them) were jellified on the ground next to him.....man, that is one nasty freaking load.

ill tell you what, that 22 K is one nasty bastard.

AgentOrange
September 1, 2008, 06:52 PM
man, ya'all just had to get me going on this damn hornet again, didnt ya........i just went out and fireformed another 100 rounds of brass........man, even after 50 straight rounds this sucker still shoots point of aim....no wandering even after it warms up...isnt that just terrible?.......i can just see that perfect 100 yard neck shot on a nice fat 5X5 this year with one of those 53grners......kerPOW!

AgentOrange
September 2, 2008, 09:17 PM
loaded up a few more rounds today, but this time with 12.5 gr of 4198 and speer 52grers......another dead nutz load.

mr.trooper
September 2, 2008, 10:26 PM
Cz 527 is availible in 22 Hornet, and it has a set trigger.

AgentOrange
September 3, 2008, 10:10 AM
sorry, didnt mean to kill this thread...

seems like im pretty famous for doing that

AgentOrange
September 3, 2008, 08:35 PM
trooper

you and i debated a bunch of guys over on i believe nodak outdoors about 223 and small 22 caliber centerfires for deer

(i believe my username over there is 'TheGunDealer" or something similar)

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
September 3, 2008, 09:01 PM
Hey if you do get a .22 Hornet, be sure to check out the new-ish Savage model 40 Varmint rifle. It is offered ONLY in .22 hornet, and looks to be a tack driving good value.

langenc
September 3, 2008, 09:03 PM
Try loading with small pistol primers for greater consistancy.

AgentOrange
September 4, 2008, 07:23 AM
i use nothing but s mall pistol primers in the 22 k hornet. much better accuracy

SwampWolf
September 4, 2008, 02:22 PM
If you don't plan on reloading and, like for most of us, money (lack of!) will usually be an issue, .223 factory ammo will always be significantly cheaper than other .22 cal. centerfire ammunition. That said, I love the Hornet (especially for its relatively light report in populated environs) and, even with factory loads, my 100 yard, five shot groups are generally closer to an inch than they are to 1 1/2".
I employ the Hornet as one of my "stalking" (that is, when I'm in an area where I do more walking than sitting) varmint rifles. It is chambered in a fine little Browning "Micro" A-Bolt that wears a Burris 2X7 Compact.

dagger dog
September 4, 2008, 05:49 PM
I tried the small pistol primers in my favorite load of 12.5 gr Lil' Gun 40gr Vmax, in my Savage Mdl 40, but the Remington 6 1/2's grouped tighter. The info on the 61/2's came from Stevespages. The CCI bench rest small rifle primers are a real winner in the Hornet.It seems with the correct powder the milder primers seem to work best in the Hornet.

Am really wanting to try out cast bullets in the Hornet and did set myself up with the stuff needed to cast the Lyman225415. Haven' shot any yet but have some cast sized and lubed . Only thing is the Lyman #48 and Cast bullet manual are in conflict as in the weight in the Cast manual is 45 gr and the #48 is 55 gr.
My 415 came out 55grs with the gas checks and lube and I believe they will be a litlle to long and heavy for the 1-14 twist in the Mdl 40. So I haven't bothered to load them up and send them down range.

I'll probably go in hock for the 225438 which is supposed to weigh out at 41 gr. in the #2 alloy. That leaves me to try the 415's in my 12FV Savage .223.

Any one had experience with either 415's in 55 gr or 438's in either caliber, I would sure like to hear what you've found out!

Oohrah
September 5, 2008, 01:18 AM
Walkalong, mine is a twin to yours except it wears a 8X32
BSA. Added a bout a 3" sun screen that screws in the front
lens body. Once in awhile it is known to wear a bipod.
Was going to rebarrel to a 17 Hornet, but it just shoots too
good as is:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Tell me about 22 hornet..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!