Too Loud and overpenetrating vs Spring Set

PDA

Shrinkmd
September 13, 2005, 06:01 PM
I'm trying to balance out the "357 at night will blind/deafen you" but it's "6 for sure" vs "use .38+P to avoid the flash/boom" vs "if you're using .38+p why not have 15+1 of them in a 9mm" vs "if you're going to use an autoloader use a .45" And then the "keeping autoloader mags loaded" threads. I feel like I've read them all.

Is the best solution for normal HD (versus military use) a nice 4" .357 loaded with .38+P and practice, practice, practice? I am planning a big order from Georgia Arms to save shipping and I'm trying to decide what to focus on. They're all fun, but I guess I should "settle down" and get a little bit more of the "man with one gun" attitude.

Gee, did I miss any cliche phrases or common, never ending arguments seen here?

If you enjoyed reading about "Too Loud and overpenetrating vs Spring Set" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
pauli
September 13, 2005, 06:05 PM
there is no best solution for hd. the closest you're likely to come isn't a handgun, anyway - it's a shotgun.

that said, having a handgun around to fight your way to your shotgun or rifle is probably a good idea ;)

if you're just going to use it to shoot 38 +p, don't bother getting a 357.

jacobtowne
September 13, 2005, 07:37 PM
If it's for HD, and not carry, you don't need to worry about concealability, and that opens up many possibilities in size.
Another thing to consider with the .357 is sight recovery time, which is another reason I would never consider a magnum revolver for HD.
A larger and heavier revolver will serve to dampen recoil and lessen sight recovery time.
JT

VorpalSpork
September 13, 2005, 07:49 PM
Magazine spring madness: 'creep' to your 'elastic limit' to un-earth the urban legend of 'spring-set' (http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_163_27/ai_99130369)

R.H. Lee
September 13, 2005, 07:59 PM
The whole magazine spring issue is a big nothing IMO. Look at the valve springs in an internal combustion engine.... How many million times do they compress/decompress before they finally fail, if ever?

Any firearm discharged indoors (especially in the dark) will be completely disorienting. It's not like in the movies. Your best bet is to select a weapon that you are comfortable and competent with, and practice. Make sure you know the manual of arms by feel, and that you can load, unload, and work all the controls in the dark.

BluesBear
September 14, 2005, 06:31 AM
I think the best accessory to have laying next to your nightstand gun is a pair of electronic earmuffs.

They amplify soft sounds but block out the gunshots and immediately allow you to hear soft sounds again.

With the increased occurances of home invasions by mulitple miscreants they could be a life saver.

Oh yeah. A .38+P or .357 magnum is a good choice for HD.
Especially if you put a set of crimson trace lase grips on it.
You can have a flashlight in one hand and your weapon in the other.

The key to any defensive weapon is the ability to effectively operate it.
If you are comfortable with it and if you are deadly accurate with it then you're already ahead of the curve.

If you enjoyed reading about "Too Loud and overpenetrating vs Spring Set" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!