Magnums ??

PDA

magnumcarry
September 14, 2005, 01:34 AM
What makes a Magnum a " Combat " magnum. I have a S&W M66 "Combat" magnum and also a S&W 686 "Combat" magnum. What is with the "Combat" part of it? Thanks for your help! :confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "Magnums ??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
4thHorseman
September 14, 2005, 03:30 AM
The best I can figure is S&W six shooters hung on the side of many cops almost for a century. I remember once reading an article that S&W even advertised their models a "combat revolvers"
Certainly they have earned the distinction of being in many wars in combat. The are dirt reliable. I also remember a test Iseen somewhere in the past years where many guns were tested in the freezing cold snow. They were left buried to freeze in the snow and them brushed off and then tested to be able to fuction.
One of the guns that amazed the person conduction the test was N frame S&W. It fired and function flawlessly. The person conducting the test claimes it was not a scientific test, just a function test for his own reasons.
Many of the Autos failed to fire for one reason or another.
I believe the 686 is called the Combat Master Piece.
On other note I notice you handle, "magnumcarry".
Is becuase you have a Colt Magnum Carry? :)

Moonclip
September 14, 2005, 03:34 AM
It seems the S&W's with the combat moniker are the ones with adj sights. For example the name of the 586 and 686 which have adj sights are distinguished combat magnum while the fixed sight 581 and 681 are known as the distinguished service magnum.

Not magnums but to show this again, the model 10 is the military and police and the model 15, basically a model 10 with adjustable sights, is a combat masterpiece, the 19, a 357mag mod 15 is the combat magnum.

magnumcarry
September 14, 2005, 03:45 AM
4thHorseman, No I don't have a colt magnum carry, wish I did. I used to go by another handle here on the THR thats why my signature says "old face, new name". I somehow feel in love with Revolvers ( I used to be a die hard bottom feeder ) but now love revolvers. I started carrying magnums and I came up with that name "magnumcarry". Hay, thanks for your in put on the combat stuff. :D

bakert
September 15, 2005, 07:19 AM
Combat Magnum?? Sounds mean!!Sales appeal!!

Dr.Rob
September 15, 2005, 01:12 PM
as opposed to 'distinguished combat magnum?'

Marketing.

Personally, I think 'pit viper' would have looked better on the barrel of my Colt snubby than "Magnum Carry"

Majic
September 15, 2005, 08:53 PM
First there was the Masterpiece (most often called the Target Masterpiece) then a 4 inch version (made for LEO use) was introduced as the Combat Masterpiece. Years later another 4 inch LEO revolver (built on a modification of the same frame) was brought out in the .357 magnum chambering and named the Combat Magnum.
Remember at that time these revolvers had names, not model numbers.

BluesBear
September 16, 2005, 09:05 AM
First there was the K-38 Target Masterpiece 6" .38 Special. (Model 14)
The heavy long barrel was better suited to precision bullesye shooting.

Then came the K-38 Combat Masterpiece 4" .38 special. (Model 15)
The shorter heavy barrel was better suited to Police and Military use.
Most people don't realize how many .38 Special revolvers the US Military has and still does use.

Remember that at the time of the Masterpiece introduction the fixed sight M&P revolvers sill had the skinny "pencil" barrels.

From the Model 15 evolved the K-frame .357 Magnum. (Model 19)
It was designed after years of lobbying by Bill Jordan for a smaller than N-frame revolver for police use.
Since the Model 19 looked a lot like the Model 15 Combat Masterpiece except for the enclosed ejector rod, S&W dubbed it the Combat Magnum.

Since the Modell 66 is nothing more than a stainless steel Model 19 it too was dubbed the Combat Magnum.

It makes sense to me.

If you enjoyed reading about "Magnums ??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!