Better way to uniform primer pockets?

PDA

esheato
September 14, 2005, 03:51 AM
Lets face it...uniforming primer pockets suck.

Hand tools work, but it's slow and tedious and your fingers turn into useless stumps after 100 rounds.
Using a drill is faster, but your fingers still turn into useless stumps after 100 rounds.
Using the RCBS electric case prep station isn't much different than using a drill because you still have to hold the case from spinning (and your fingers will eventually turn into useless stumps after several hundred).

Is there a better way?

Ed

If you enjoyed reading about "Better way to uniform primer pockets?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Gen. Remington
September 14, 2005, 04:10 AM
I dont know if you will think its any better, but plastic gloves will help stick to the case and keep your fingers from getting black when you use a bit in a drill. I use a sharp chisel pointed bit from Forster I think, but not in their contraption.

Smokey Joe
September 14, 2005, 06:41 AM
Escheato--You could just skip the whole thing of primer pocket uniforming. It's been demonstrated that it adds virtually nothing to the accuracy of the round loaded in that case.

Of course, if you're a benchrester, that "virtually nothing" is of vital importance, but then, if you're a benchrester, you don't use very many cases so you won't turn yr fingers into useless stumps anyhow.

FWIW, the few times I've considered it necessary, I have used a primer pocket uniformer, which Lyman puts in their Power Deburr Accessory Kit. I turn it with a power screwdriver, and it worked fine. (The power screwdriver turns slower than a drill; easier to control, and you only need 3-4 turns of the tool in the primer pocket, a matter of a second or 2.)

30Cal
September 14, 2005, 12:46 PM
I use a glove and a cordless drill. I uniform primer pockets for M1 and M14 reloads to help ensure the primers are seated below flush.

Ty

TooTaxed
September 14, 2005, 01:24 PM
30 CAL, you probably already know this: CCI No. 34 primers are made slightly shorter, especially for 7.62 NATO, .30-06 and 7.62 x 39 ammunition. They seat below flush.

rick_reno
September 14, 2005, 01:50 PM
I've got some Sinclair tools to do that - it's not bad if you don't try and do too many at once. Break the job into small pieces.

Fatelvis
September 14, 2005, 06:57 PM
I agree with Smokey Joe. Unless you`re a benchrester, dont bother uniforming. I dont think it adds a bit of (noticable) accuracy to most peoples shooting.

If you enjoyed reading about "Better way to uniform primer pockets?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!