frustrated by the Classifieds being used as store front

PDA

Brian Williams
September 14, 2005, 01:46 PM
I am not sure where to put this but here goes.

Is there anybody frustrated by the amount of Sellers who have come here only to hawk their wares and have 0 or very low post counts?
I do not mind having them here but at least they could join in some of the forums and share. I have posted items for sale only to have them disappear from the first page of the forum with many posts from someone selling from a store. May be a suggestion that those who are selling for a profession might have their own classifieds section. I knew Wildalaska would post a number of guns for sale from his shop but he also was at one time an avid poster.

If you enjoyed reading about "frustrated by the Classifieds being used as store front" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Nathanael_Greene
September 14, 2005, 03:02 PM
That bothers me, too.

It brings to my mind the larger issue of classified ad etiquette (for want of a better term).

I've noticed a recent spate of comments to listings along these lines: "You greedy so-and-so, that gun/knife/hunting package/scope/souvenir tiddlywink isn't worth that! I can buy them all day long for a dollar less! What do you take us all for? We're not all as rich or as stupid as you are!"

I always thought that it's better to say nothing, and when the seller gets no responses, he'll figure out that maybe his price is maybe too high.

So, it seems that both buyers and sellers have something to learn.

Maybe we should all re-read the forum rules for posting. (I just did, and learned a couple of things.)

pax
September 14, 2005, 04:46 PM
Please, guys, if you see a specific post that is out of line, take a moment to hit the "report this post" button and tell us about it.

("Report this post" is the little triangle-exclamation thing in the bottom left corner of each post -- hit it and it takes you to a screen where you can notify the moderators.)

We do try to keep a close eye on the classifieds, but frankly unless you're in the market for a gun it is downright boring reading thread after thread of "sale" "btt" "price reduced" "sold", so it's not surprising that we miss a few things.

If you believe a business is monopolizing the forums, drop a PM to one of us with names of people you think are offending. We'll look at their posting patterns and make a decision.

pax

OEF_VET
September 14, 2005, 04:48 PM
I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one bothered by this.

Jayb
September 14, 2005, 07:08 PM
Another weapons forum I frequent had the same issue. They solved it by mandating a given number of posts before being allowed to post in the for sale/trade threads. Worked well, I thought. It's just a nickel's worth, and won't get you coffee anywhere. :o

If you enjoyed reading about "frustrated by the Classifieds being used as store front" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!