.38 Spc CTG?

PDA

syience187
September 15, 2005, 10:21 AM
I have a friend that owns a .38 Spc CTG. He says his grandfather gave it to him. He was issued it during the WWII time while working for the city of N.Y. He asked me if I know what it might be worth, but I havent got a clue. If anyone knows anything about this type of pistol...

If you enjoyed reading about ".38 Spc CTG?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
foghornl
September 15, 2005, 10:26 AM
Can you post a pic or 2, and maybe look it over for some manufacurer's name/model, etc?

Sounds like it may be a Smith & Wesson Military & Police model, the predecessor of the Model 10.

syience187
September 15, 2005, 10:31 AM
I'll try to get some pic before the end of the day....

happy old sailor
September 15, 2005, 12:36 PM
agree with foghorn. i would risk a small wager he is correct. if this is in fact an old M&P, it is a prize in my estimation.

Dr.Rob
September 15, 2005, 01:05 PM
That is how Colt wrote .38 Special on the barrel. Could be a 'Commando' issued to civilian defense workers and police during WW2.

Morgan
September 15, 2005, 02:42 PM
I've got a WWII Colt Commando (made in 1942, issued to OSI - neat gun, I wish it could talk).

It clearly states on the barrel: "Colt Commando", and under that ".38 Special".

The Commando is a 4".

My Cobra and Detective Special (both snubbies) say ".38 Special CTG".

What is the barrel length on the revolver in question? I'd bet it's a Detective Special.

thatguy
September 15, 2005, 05:22 PM
syience187- What you described on the barrel is the caliber marking. It's a .38 Special Cartridge. This could be any number of revolvers. I assume there are some other markings on the gun indicating who made it? The two most likely suspects are Smith & Wesson or Colt.

Does it look something like this S&W?

http://www.fototime.com/C5EE0FDBF144C7D/standard.jpg

Or maybe more like this Colt?

http://www.fototime.com/DF09B88606FABBB/standard.jpg

Cosmoline
September 15, 2005, 07:55 PM
Does the cylinder release latch PUSH IN (S&W) or PULL OUT (Colt)

My guess is it's an old Pol. Positive Special or Official Police.

happy old sailor
September 15, 2005, 08:46 PM
i'm liking this thread better and better. mystery gun, huh?, and one i could afford if i ran across a goodun

DennisE
September 15, 2005, 10:18 PM
Hi! Bottom picture looks a lot like one of my grandfather's 1909 Colt New Police revolver chamber in the .32 New Police caliber that he bought and carried in Montana in '09 when he was a locomotive engineer out of Helena. I'm the happy owner of this piece of family history. Dennis

BluesBear
September 16, 2005, 05:52 AM
Smith & Wessons PUSH FORWARD.
Colts PULL TO THE REAR
and it's the Rugers that PUSH IN.
:D

Standing Wolf
September 16, 2005, 11:28 PM
Smith & Wessons PUSH FORWARD.
Colts PULL TO THE REAR
and it's the Rugers that PUSH IN.

Yeah, and someday, some genius is going to think of ambidextrous cylinder releases. I have no idea why this has never been done.

thatguy
September 17, 2005, 12:29 AM
Well, I think the old High Standard revolvers opened by pulling the ejector rod forward. That would be equally easy for either hand, no?

Cosmoline
September 17, 2005, 01:17 AM
Further refinements:

Colts slide away from the cylinder
S&W's slide towards the clyinder
Rugers push into the frame on a pivot
Dan Wessons are out on the barrel

In the mean time--do we actually have any idea what revolver is being discussed here?

orgdp
September 17, 2005, 04:05 PM
did we ever find out what kind of revolver he had? :what:

pauli
September 17, 2005, 04:13 PM
a good one.

If you enjoyed reading about ".38 Spc CTG?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!